Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 1, 2019 10:05 PM
Jul 2018
Kendrick Lamar, 2pac, Ice Cube, J. Cole, are praised for being socially conscious rappers with "deep" messages", yet I can't name anything "deep" that they've said.
For example, one of 2pac's famous "quotes" is:
"Just because you're from the ghetto doesn't mean you can't grow"
No shit? It's very straightforward and basic.
Ice Cube has a song called, "Arrest The President", a diss against Trump. You'd think that with all the insane, complex, controversy surrounding Trump, he'd tear Trump apart in the song by bringing up very complex politics, but nope, Ice Cube just insults Trump.
I feel like every socially conscious rap I've listened to (aside from Joyner Lucas's "I'm Not Racist") tackles the most bare bone problems in the African-American community. Like, they talk about issues that are caused by white America, but you never hear rappers talk about African-American issues that is caused by African-Americans. For example, no rapper ever brings up the fact that African-Americans spend the most money out of all ethnic groups:
https://blackmeninamerica.com/updated-how-do-black-people-spend-their-money-3/
Despite the fact that African-Americans are the poorest ethnic group in the US.
Why don't social conscious rappers talk about more complex politics, like Trump putting more tariffs for people who cross the border from Mexico to America?
Are they just afraid of, "getting too political", in fear of alienating their audience?
Jun 1, 2019 10:10 PM

Sep 2012
your problem is that you're seriously listing 2pac.
probably one of the most overrated artists ever, not even just in rap, when you think about what he actually did vs how much people praise him.

Oh maybe, maybe it's the clothes we wear
The tasteless bracelets and the dye in our hair
Or maybe, maybe it's our nowhere towns or our nothing places
But we're trash, you and me
We're the litter on the breeze
We're the lovers on the streets
Just trash, me and you
It's in everything we do
It's in everything we do

Jun 2, 2019 1:41 AM

Jun 2016
Did you just call Bones basic
Jun 2, 2019 3:15 AM

Jan 2017
Think you're just looking at the wrong rappers. Most mainstream rappers have no substance.

On the topic of rap against trump [Or any left leaning rap] I'd say flobots leans pretty much that way. I may be a conservative but I can still respect good music, regardless of the message.

Newer stuff

Older stuff

Jun 2, 2019 8:01 AM
Jul 2018
Cneq said:
Think you're just looking at the wrong rappers. Most mainstream rappers have no substance.

Huh. It's weird how I didn't consider this. I guess the title of the thread should've been something like, "Why is the socially conscious rap I keep seeing so basic" but that would've been wrong.

I just watched this video, but I still don't understand what he's exactly saying.
I'll watch the second video later.
Jun 3, 2019 7:15 PM

Mar 2008
Killer Mike has pointed out that the presidents of the US all work for corporate lobbyists and the war on drugs is a money making scam

Dead Prez are Revolutionary Pan-Africanists that openly advocate for overthrowing the government and abolishing capitalism.

Jun 3, 2019 7:48 PM
Jul 2018
traed said:
Killer Mike has pointed out that the presidents of the US all work for corporate lobbyists and the war on drugs is a money making scam

Dead Prez are Revolutionary Pan-Africanists that openly advocate for overthrowing the government and abolishing capitalism.

Holy shit. Now THAT is political. I'll check out the songs later and tell you my thoughts on them.
Killer Mike and Dead Prez, I've never heard of them before. @Cneq You were right: mainstream rap isn't very political.
Jun 3, 2019 7:59 PM

Jan 2017
traed said:

Second video near the end is lowkey radical black propaganda. Honestly disgusting how ignorant and twisted stuff like this can remain on youtube.
Jun 3, 2019 8:01 PM

Jan 2017
HopefulNihilist said:
traed said:

Holy shit. Now THAT is political. I'll check out the songs later and tell you my thoughts on them.
Killer Mike and Dead Prez, I've never heard of them before. @Cneq You were right: mainstream rap isn't very political.
Main stream rap is full of political stuff [which is why I avoid it] but the issue is none of it has any substance besides name calling or broad ideas thrown out with no backing. [i.e cops do this and that or trump bad etc]
Jun 3, 2019 9:14 PM

Mar 2008
Cneq said:
Second video near the end is lowkey radical black propaganda. Honestly disgusting how ignorant and twisted stuff like this can remain on youtube.

You would have to understand Pan Africanism to know what their views actually are. I don't actually get it though because there are so many different meanings to Pan-Africanism. I am not sure if this is an official video or just a fan made mish mash of footage because some stuff is footage from other music videos.
Jun 4, 2019 1:46 AM

Jun 2016
Alright since this thread is still going i'll post some;

About the Vietnam war:

About the coward, joke excuses of police that waited TWO HOURS to do anything during Columbine:

I don't think I have to explain this:

Jun 4, 2019 2:20 AM
Feb 2016
I'm sad that you mentioned Kendrick Lamar as basic, I would argue he's anything but. I would suggest looking at To Pimp a Butterfly and Section.80 if you want his most salient political messages. To Pimp a Butterfly is just a work of genius in general, the first song beginning with the apparent exploitation of black artists in the entertainment industry and linking it to the lack of genuine economic power that blacks have had in America since Reconstruction. Kendrick references a lot of African-American literature and history in his music, while using interesting literary techniques in his rap, like allegory and polyphony.

Edit:
no rapper ever brings up the fact that African-Americans spend the most money out of all ethnic groups

This is basically a key message of Wesley's Theory, though? And I see that you have Kendrick Lamar albums in your favourite rap albums so I'm quite confused right now.
defunct0001Jun 4, 2019 2:29 AM
Jun 4, 2019 8:32 AM
Jul 2018
Vazka said:
Stopped reading after you quoted that line from 2pac. You took one line from one song out of the hundreds of songs he's put out, to prove that he's not a deep rapper? Cant take you seriously after that.

That was just one example. Would you like me to go over his entire discography? 2pac didn't have that many "deep" songs. For every "Brenda's Got a Baby", there was at least 10 filler songs like, "Ambizionz As a Ridah". As he made more albums, the number of socially conscious songs he made decreased heavily. By "All Eyez On Me", he had like, 2 socially conscious songs on that album.

Vazka said:
And why do you always make threads about rap?

Because I absolutely love rap and want to talk about it more with other people?

Shoegum said:
I'm sad that you mentioned Kendrick Lamar as basic, I would argue he's anything but.

I think Lamar is the closest rapper we have (out of all the rappers I've listened to) to being "complex" but none of his messages are something that you can't figure out on your own.

Shoegum said:
I would suggest looking at To Pimp a Butterfly and Section.80 if you want his most salient political messages.

F*ck Your Ethnicity: it's literally what the name implies. Nothing here for food for thought.

I listened to those albums so much I almost never even have to look up the lyrics to understand what's being said anymore. Let's look at some of the messages he put pout in those albums:

A.D.H.D: people with certain disorders like ADHD will resort to drugs to fit in with the crowd. Okay, pretty original stuff that I haven't heard before in rap, but...is it really that "deep"?

No Make-Up (Her Vice): women don't need make up to look beautiful. Great message. But it's not something that you can't figure out on your own just by thinking about it.

Ronald Regan Era: the 90s was corrupt with street gangs. No shit? I think everyone knows this. One of my least favorite songs from Lamar.

Keisha's Sing (Her Pain): is this song even trying to deliver a message? I don't get it. With 2pac's "Brenda's Got a Baby", I understand that he was describing something that actually happened, and is common in the ghetto.

Kusg & Corinthians: live good. Basic message, although Lamar has a knack for delivering even basic messages in cool ways with sick bars: "Have you ever known a saint that take's sinner's advice"? Dunno, but I love that line.

6/16 songs on Section 80 I can name that have any sort of "message" ; for an album that states it's trying to revolutionize the youth or something, that's...pretty underwhelming. This is why I love Section 80 for its entertaining songs and what little maturity and intellectuality it has, more than its maturity and intellectuality.

Shoegum said:
To Pimp a Butterfly is just a work of genius in general, the first song beginning with the apparent exploitation of black artists in the entertainment industry and linking it to the lack of genuine economic power that blacks have had in America since Reconstruction.

Wesley's Theory is definitely interesting in that again, it's message is unusual. However, it didn't mention anything about black artists specifically being exploited. The lines:

"What you want you? A house or a car?
Forty acres and a mule, a piano, a guitar?
Anything, see, my name is Uncle Sam on your dollar"

Reference how African-Americans were given 40 acres, a mule, a piano, a guitar, after the Civil War, but Lamar doesn't go into much more detail about the exploitation specifically of African American artists.

Shoegum said:
Kendrick references a lot of African-American literature and history in his music

I can't name a single Lamar song that actually delves into African-American literature or history.

Shoegum said:
while using interesting literary techniques in his rap, like allegory and polyphony.

I like how Lamar uses allegories, but my problem with them, is that the surface level meanings are always sexual.
What is polyphony?

Shoegum said:
Edit:
no rapper ever brings up the fact that African-Americans spend the most money out of all ethnic groups

This is basically a key message of Wesley's Theory, though? And I see that you have Kendrick Lamar albums in your favourite rap albums so I'm quite confused right now.

Where does Lamar say African-Americans spend more money out of any ethnic group?

What are the messages throughout To Pimp A Butterfly?:

Institutionalized: some African-Americans are still trapped in the ghetto

Alright: everything will be alright. Pretty basic.

How Much A Dollar Cost: one of my favorite songs (along with Wesley's Theory), but it's message about how you should give some money to homeless people is basic.

Complexion (A Zulu Love): black is beautiful no matter the shade. No shit?

The Blacker the Berry: it's hypocritical how rappers preach peace while promoting violence. Good stuff

i: love yourself. Really original and positive message, but is this "deep"?

Have you noticed that none of the messages that Lamar sends, are things that required deep, complex research into politics? For example, recently Trump decided to assert tariffs to Mexicans who come to the US. This is something that you wouldn't know unless you did research. You wouldn't know anything about the fact that African-Americans spend more money than any ethnic group, unless you did research. However, you will know something basic like women not needing makeup to look beautiful; that doesn't require research.
Most rappers are from the ghetto, and are uneducated; as in, most of them haven't even gone to college, much less finish high school. Due to being from the ghetto, in many of their songs, they blame white America for all their problems, even though the issues that African-Americans suffer are more complex than that; both sides are to blame. White America for not doing shit to fix the poverty rates among African-Americans, and African-Americans, for spending more money out of any ethnic group, despite being the poorest.
This goes back to Lamar: he refuses to ever properly criticize the misdoings his own people do. For example, why do people think the police keep shooting African-Americans? It doesn't happen spontaneously: more often than not, it happens because African-Americans provoke them by resisting, like Rodney King. I'm not saying that what the police are doing are right, but it's important to highlight the other sides' reasoning. But African-American rappers instead prefer always playing the victim by taking a, "us vs the system" stance.
I don't know if it's because most big-name socially conscious rappers are uneducated, or if they're trying to appeal to an audience with dumbed down messages, but yeah.

EDIT: the reason why I love Lamar's albums is, even though message-wise they're not that complex, they're still more deeper than any rappers' message I can name.
removed-userJun 4, 2019 8:46 AM
Jun 5, 2019 1:14 AM

Jun 2016
Shoegum said:

Edit:

Dalek's Culture for Dollars is also about exactly that, so i'm also not getting this.
Jun 6, 2019 10:29 PM
Feb 2014
Widespread Stan and Hipster cultures simultaneously. Once they've milked the living fuck out of it, the more basic it becomes over night.
Jun 9, 2019 6:58 PM

Aug 2013
HopefulNihilist said:
Kendrick Lamar, 2pac, Ice Cube, J. Cole, are praised for being socially conscious rappers with "deep" messages"

Two of the rappers you mentioned were primarily famous for their west coast gangster rap flavors, so that's a moot point already. And to think the most famous artists within the genre are supposed to be representative of the overall quality of "socially conscious" rap is pretty dumb. Just here to post good "socially conscious" hip-hop.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvjXRIRl8HU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SAvGUhS7l4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUK_Vcc1_pI
Jun 9, 2019 7:32 PM

Jan 2019
How can you call all conscious rap basic except for Joyner Lucas of all people lmao. I don't even really see your point, the rappers you mention are highly praised for sure but I never hear anyone calling their music "deep" aside for maybe Kendrick.

The reason you don't hear black artists discussing more complex political topics is because generally artists write from their own personal experiences. Not many rappers you're listening to are going to have first hand experiences with crossing the border from Mexico to America. Also saying that they don't talk about problems created by the black community is just straight up wrong.

Most of what you've been doing in this thread is summarizing different songs messages into a simple sentence to make it sound dumb. You can do this with literally any song. I'd like to hear what music is actually "deep" to you because damn that's gotta be some big brain 400 IQ shit right there. Your problem with conscious hip hop has nothing to do with the music, it's that you listened to the most popular artists and assumed that's the entirety of the genre.
Jun 9, 2019 11:08 PM
Jul 2018
HohoVFX said:
How can you call all conscious rap basic except for Joyner Lucas of all people lmao. I don't even really see your point, the rappers you mention are highly praised for sure but I never hear anyone calling their music "deep" aside for maybe Kendrick.

Really? Because I can't stop hearing people praise 2pac for having a, "deep message".

HohoVFX said:
The reason you don't hear black artists discussing more complex political topics is because generally artists write from their own personal experiences.

Why do rappers almost always exclusively write from their own experiences? Why don't they write like authors do, and create fictional stories based on reality to deliver more complex political messages.

How many rap songs can you name that actually criticize the black community for their problems? "I'm Not Racist" is literally the only song I can think of that does this. The reason why I really like "I'm Not Racist" by Joyner Lucas is that, yes, while the "message" isn't something that required research, it's refreshing to see a black rapper actually criticize his own race for once.
Because as a white man, I'm sick of hearing black rappers whine about how hard their lives are, like they're actually living worse than the LGBT community.

HohoVFX said:
Most of what you've been doing in this thread is summarizing different songs messages into a simple sentence to make it sound dumb.

Then does that mean you want me to go over literally every single line in each of the songs I mentioned? What makes these songs so complex?
Those songs I listed are dumb: their messages are pseudo-intellectual. 2pac's, "Keep Ya Head Up" is barely anymore intelligent and complex than a Hopsin song.
The problem with the socially conscience rappers I've listened to is that their "messages" aren't messages, so much as reinforcing pre-existing messages that everyone knows. For example, in "Keep Ya Head Up", 2pac delivers one of the most generic "socially conscious" lines I have ever heard: "They have money for war, but not money for the poor". No shit? Anyone who's educated knows that the US government spends more money on the military than actually helping people suffering under poverty. Yet 2pac is always called the, "revolutionist" of rap, despite having the "intellect" of a kid (in his songs anyway) who just discovered what politics are, just like Hopsin.

HohoVFX said:
I'd like to hear what music is actually "deep" to you because damn that's gotta be some big brain 400 IQ shit right there.

I find a socially conscious song, "deep" if it sends a message that:
A) Isn't common sense.
B) Required research to figure out.
C) Isn't something you can figure out by just walking in a circle for 5 minutes and think.

HohoVFX said:
Your problem with conscious hip hop has nothing to do with the music, it's that you listened to the most popular artists and assumed that's the entirety of the genre.

You're right. So that's why my main concern is why is mainstream socially conscious rap so damn basic. A question that I haven't seen anybody here answer.

@ritesofspring

You're right, it is dumb. That's why from here on out, I'm going to criticize mainstream socially conscious rap. I'll listen to the songs you linked later.
Jun 10, 2019 12:49 AM

Jan 2019
HopefulNihilist said:

Why do rappers almost always exclusively write from their own experiences? Why don't they write like authors do, and create fictional stories based on reality to deliver more complex political messages.

Plenty of rappers use fictional stories for political commentary. Some examples off the top of my head are clipping. - Splendor and Misery, Hermit and The Recluse - Orpheus vs. the Sirens, Deltron 3030 - S/T. The rappers you mention don't write like this, and that's fine. Part of what makes conscious hip hop stand out as a sub-genre is that it contains relevant political commentary, which is much harder to do while in a fictional setting, and it's much more effective when they're discussing current events.

HopefulNihilist said:

How many rap songs can you name that actually criticize the black community for their problems?

I mean, you reference Kendrick Lamar so you've clearly listened to his albums, many of which contain songs about black-on-black violence and the struggles of growing up in a black environment, and as @Shoegum mentioned Wesley's Theory is about exactly what you criticized black artists for not discussing.

How many rap songs are there that directly criticize white people?

HopefulNihilist said:

Then does that mean you want me to go over literally every single line in each of the songs I mentioned? What makes these songs so complex?

I'm not going to try convince anyone that 2pac is the most complex, deep music ever because that's just not the point. Shit I don't even like 2pac. My point is these songs aren't trying to be deep, you've just put that expectation on them for whatever reason. Plenty of great music has some pretty basic lyrics. Most people enjoy these artists because while what they're saying might not be groundbreaking or anything, it's interesting to hear the artists' personal take on these topics. Deep ≠ Good. It's fine if you want your music to be lyrically deep, you just look like an ass when you're putting that expectation onto every rap album and generalizing the entire genre.

HopefulNihilist said:

You're right. So that's why my main concern is why is mainstream socially conscious rap so damn basic. A question that I haven't seen anybody here answer.

It's mainstream music, you shouldn't be surprised. It's mainstream because it's accessible to the largest amount of people, which often makes artists "dumb down" their music a bit. If you don't like mainstream music, look a little harder for stuff you enjoy.
_HohoJun 10, 2019 1:13 AM
Jun 10, 2019 1:10 AM
Jul 2018
HohoVFX said:
Plenty of rappers use fictional stories for political commentary. Some examples off the top of my head are clipping. - Splendor and Misery, Hermit and The Recluse - Orpheus vs. the Sirens, Deltron 3030 - S/T.

Alright, I'll check them out.

HohoVFX said:
The rappers you mention don't write like this, and that's fine.

Writing about your own experiences is great...to an extent. If all a rapper raps about are the things they've been through and seen, then they run into what I call the, "Eminem dilemma": they run out of things to rap about.

HohoVFX said:
Part of what makes conscious hip hop stand out as a sub-genre is that it contains relevant political commentary, which is much harder to do while in a fictional setting, and it's much more effective when they're discussing current events.

Whenever I hear a mainstream rapper like Ice Cube and Denzel curry talk about, "current events" they literally just repeat what millions of people say. For example, on Sirens, Denzel spits: " screamin' "fuck it"
Donald Trump, Donald Duck, what the fuck is the difference?"

HohoVFX said:
I mean, you reference Kendrick Lamar so you've clearly listened to his albums, many of which contain songs about black-on-black violence and the struggles of growing up in a black environment,

Sure, Lamar addresses black on black violence, and the struggles of growing up in the ghetto, but again, that's all basic knowledge.

HohoVFX said:
and as @Shoegum mentioned Wesley's Theory is about exactly what you criticized black artists for not discussing.

Wesley's Theory explores how rich artists (not exclusively blacks, not blacks in the middle or poor class) waste their money. At the same time, Lamar...kinda(?) explores how these artists are exploited. But again, Lamar wasn't specifically criticizing the general black population for being the ethnic group that spends the most amount of money. Where in the lyrics does it indicate what I highlighted?

HohoVFX said:
My point is these songs aren't trying to be deep, you've just put that expectation on them for whatever reason.

Okay, but if they're not trying to be deep, but what are they trying to be?

HohoVFX said:
Plenty of great music has some pretty basic lyrics.

I can't name a single great song (lyric-wise) that does not have complex, deeper, lyrics.

HohoVFX said:
Most people enjoy these artists because while what they're saying might not be groundbreaking or anything, it's interesting to hear the artists' personal take on these topics.

Okay, I think I can kinda get behind that. But when those artists are just participating in an echo-chamber of what millions of others say, it seems to me like people listen to them more for validation.

HohoVFX said:
Deep ≠ Good.

I can understand why other genres can have basic lyrics and still be really good (Hell, Linkin Park's Hybrid Theory has easy to understand basic lyrics and it's still an emotionally powerful album). However, when you have a genre like rap, where the focus is less on a complex melody, and far more on lyrics, then I think we should have higher expectations. I think basic lyrics can work in a non-rap song, because of how short non-rap songs are lyrically, so that way it won't feel like it's dragging out. However, when those simple lyrics are stretched in the form of a rap song, then I think it gets boring. Still, you make a strong argument.

HohoVFX said:
you just look like an ass when you're putting that expectation onto every rap album and generalizing the entire genre.

You're calling me an ass, because you disagree with me.

HohoVFX said:

It's mainstream music, you shouldn't be surprised. It's mainstream because it's accessible to the largest amount of people, which often makes artists "dumb down" their music a bit. If you don't like mainstream music, look a little harder for stuff you enjoy.

That...makes perfect sense. And honestly, the answer should have been obvious to me.
Jun 10, 2019 1:24 AM

Jan 2019
HopefulNihilist said:

Whenever I hear a mainstream rapper like Ice Cube and Denzel curry talk about, "current events" they literally just repeat what millions of people say. For example, on Sirens, Denzel spits: " screamin' "fuck it"
Donald Trump, Donald Duck, what the fuck is the difference?"

Tbh I kinda agree with you here, I love TA13OO but god that line on Sirens makes me cringe haha.

HopefulNihilist said:

You're calling me an ass, because you disagree with me.

I'm just saying that generalizing things almost always makes people look ignorant.

I'd respond to your other points but I feel like we'd just be going in a circle at that point. Agree to disagree I guess.
_HohoJun 10, 2019 1:33 AM
Jun 10, 2019 7:50 AM
Jul 2018
HohoVFX said:
I'm just saying that generalizing things almost always makes people look ignorant.

That's fair. I think you could have phrased your comment more politely.

HohoVFX said:
I'd respond to your other points but I feel like we'd just be going in a circle at that point. Agree to disagree I guess.

But we've been finding common ground: I've been agreeing with some of what you've said, and you've been agreeing with some of what I've said. I didn't make this thread to debate: I made it legitimately understand the purpose of socially conscious rap.
Jun 10, 2019 8:17 AM

Jan 2019
HopefulNihilist said:

That's fair. I think you could have phrased your comment more politely.

HopefulNihilist said:

But we've been finding common ground: I've been agreeing with some of what you've said, and you've been agreeing with some of what I've said. I didn't make this thread to debate: I made it legitimately understand the purpose of socially conscious rap.

Yeah fair enough, I apologize for coming off a bit hostile. I think it's fair to expect some debate with how bold some of your claims are though.

We'll pick up where we left off then,

HopefulNihilist said:

Sure, Lamar addresses black on black violence, and the struggles of growing up in the ghetto, but again, that's all basic knowledge.

Kendrick doesn't talk about these issues to be the first to talk about them or inform people that they exist. It's a massive problem in America, of course everyone knows about it, but that doesn't make it any less valid to discuss in your music. Like I said Kendrick is just offering his perspective on the issues for anyone who wants to listen.

HopefulNihilist said:

Okay, but if they're not trying to be deep, but what are they trying to be?

They're trying to be like any other music I guess, just trying to make something that expresses themselves or their feelings in some way. Artists that make "deep" music usually aren't actively trying to be deep, different artists just prefer different ways of expressing themselves, sometimes the message is meant to be obvious.

I think we just have conflicting definitions of what deep actually means.

Also:
HopefulNihilist said:

Because as a white man, I'm sick of hearing black rappers whine about how hard their lives are, like they're actually living worse than the LGBT community.

Seriously dude?

Jun 10, 2019 9:35 AM
Jul 2018
HohoVFX said:
Yeah fair enough, I apologize for coming off a bit hostile. I think it's fair to expect some debate with how bold some of your claims are though.

I mean, I guess we're kinda debating, but I'm focused more on trying to reach an understanding.

HohoVFX said:
Kendrick doesn't talk about these issues to be the first to talk about them or inform people that they exist. It's a massive problem in America, of course everyone knows about it, but that doesn't make it any less valid to discuss in your music. Like I said Kendrick is just offering his perspective on the issues for anyone who wants to listen.

You're right, it doesn't make the issues he discusses any less valid. Yet at the same time, I think it's possible to approach those same issues from a different, more complex angle. But I think this is the part where we agree to disagree.

I kinda understand your perspective that simplicity = fine, but for me that's a problem, because then I'm confused: as to what standard I should judge socially conscious rap by.

I don't understand why a rapper like Hopsin is hated for being simplistic in his "messages" yet mainstream socially conscious rappers like Kendrick aren't that much more complex than him.
The only mainstream socially conscious rap song I can think of at the top of my head right now, that I think addresses a more complex issues, is J. Cole's "Photograph"; because the idea of falling in love through a photograph is unlike anything I've heard of before.

HohoVFX said:
They're trying to be like any other music I guess, just trying to make something that expresses themselves or their feelings in some way.

For some reason, this part of your post reminded me of introspective rap, and why it's my favorite rap genre: because of how deep it can be.

HohoVFX said:
Artists that make "deep" music usually aren't actively trying to be deep, different artists just prefer different ways of expressing themselves, sometimes the message is meant to be obvious.

I think there's a misunderstanding here: I don't actually have an issue with the message being obvious, I have an issue when the message is basic. In fact, I actually prefer messages to be obvious, so I don't have to go over all the annotations for every line on Genius.

HohoVFX said:
I think we just have conflicting definitions of what deep actually means.

That's fair. My definition of "deep" is something that has layers to its message. I'm guessing then your definition of deep is much simpler? Digibro actually made a video basically arguing how "deep" is pointless.

HohoVFX said:
Seriously dude?

You don't hear the LGBT community screaming "gay lives matter".
You don't hear the LGBT community screaming, "kill white people"
https://www.fitsnews.com/2017/02/02/social-justice-warrior-kill-white-people/
You don't hear the LGBT community screaming, "kill straight people"
But whatever, I'm going off topic.
Jun 10, 2019 9:45 AM

Oct 2018
Rappers trying to sound the same is so basic.~

Good times:

サディスティックな考え
"JUST KILL ME."
サディスティックマインド
Jun 10, 2019 6:30 PM

Jan 2019
HopefulNihilist said:

then I'm confused: as to what standard I should judge socially conscious rap by.

Idk man, if it were me I'd just stop taking it so seriously and enjoy the music. Personally I don't think there is any good or bad music just stuff that does or doesn't appeal to me.

HopefulNihilist said:

I don't understand why a rapper like Hopsin is hated for being simplistic in his "messages" yet mainstream socially conscious rappers like Kendrick aren't that much more complex than him.

People dislike Hopsin because the way he tells his messages is often extremely preachy, he acts like he always knows better than his audience. Not to mention his delivery and beat choices are just lame as fuck.

HopefulNihilist said:

For some reason, this part of your post reminded me of introspective rap, and why it's my favorite rap genre: because of how deep it can be.

Thats cool, if Earl Sweatshirt's some rap songs falls under that genre then I agree, fucking masterpiece.

HopefulNihilist said:

I don't actually have an issue with the message being obvious, I have an issue when the message is basic.

Similar to "deep", I'm not sure I get your use of the word basic. As far as I can tell you describe things as basic when they don't require a google search to understand the topic, which is what I'd call obvious but once again we seem to have different understandings of what these words mean. I feel like I'm repeating myself at this point but a song isn't good from its subject matter alone, it's about the artists unique intent and perspective on it. There's been countless songs written about love and breakups and they're not going anywhere any time soon. For example you reference that J Cole song, at it's most simple core it is a love song. Everyone knows what love is and has probably had experience with it, but it's J Cole's unique experience with love that makes it complex and interesting to you.

HopefulNihilist said:

That's fair. My definition of "deep" is something that has layers to its message. I'm guessing then your definition of deep is much simpler? Digibro actually made a video basically arguing how "deep" is pointless.

I don't think our definitions of deep are actually too dissimilar, I think I'm just much less concerned about my music being deep than you are.
Jun 10, 2019 7:57 PM
Jul 2018
HohoVFX said:

People dislike Hopsin because the way he tells his messages is often extremely preachy, he acts like he always knows better than his audience. Not to mention his delivery and beat choices are just lame as fuck.

I know that, but one of the reasons that people like Anthony Fantano dislike Hopsin is because his messages are basic, among the reasons you listed.

HohoVFX said:
As far as I can tell you describe things as basic when they don't require a google search to understand the topic,

Pretty much.

HohoVFX said:
which is what I'd call obvious but once again we seem to have different understandings of what these words mean.

Yeah, I think your confusion is actually my fault: originally I used "obvious" to describe songs where the message is not advanced or complex, but then I decided to use the word "basic" because I think they're more accurate, because I think "obvious" = harder to decipher. Most of the songs on To Pimp A Butterfly required me to check Genius to get them, so I definetely wouldn't describe Kendrick as being "obvious" but I'd describe 2pac and Hopsin as "obvious" because of how blatant they make their songs' messages.
Speaking of 2pac, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't you say you didn't like his music? How come?

HohoVFX said:
I feel like I'm repeating myself at this point but a song isn't good from its subject matter alone,

I think you've said similar things before, but not quite like this. I agree.

HohoVFX said:
it's about the artists unique intent and perspective on it.

Again though, I feel as though these artists' "perspectives" are merely echo chambers, the way Youtube channels like Chibi say what others have said to give validity to their fanbase. I think we can agree to disagree here, though.

HohoVFX said:
There's been countless songs written about love and breakups and they're not going anywhere any time soon. For example you reference that J Cole song, at it's most simple core it is a love song. Everyone knows what love is and has probably had experience with it, but it's J Cole's unique experience with love that makes it complex and interesting to you.

Yeah, I 100% agree. I feel as though Photograph is genuinely a great song, because J. Cole's take on love in the song is absolutely different from anything I've ever seen.

HohoVFX said:

I don't think our definitions of deep are actually too dissimilar, I think I'm just much less concerned about my music being deep than you are.

I've been raving on and on about how "basic" these artists' messages are yet...I still love the songs that have those basic messages. Sure, maybe Keep Ya Head Up, The Art of Peer Pressure, Institutionalized, weren't written with a complex political background, but the way these songs are executed, I think we can agree, are fantastic.
You know, maybe you're right: maybe I'm overthinking, maybe the reason these songs have simple messages is because the intent behind them is simple.

So basically, in summary, I still have an issue with mainstream socially conscious rap being basic, but after discussing with you, I don't have as much of an issue with it as before.
Jun 10, 2019 8:59 PM

Jan 2019
HopefulNihilist said:

Speaking of 2pac, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't you say you didn't like his music? How come?

No reason in particular, I've just never been able to get into that older west coast hip hop sound. I'm pretty picky when it comes to hip hop and I'm generally more interested in interesting/experimental production than lyrics.

HopefulNihilist said:

after discussing with you, I don't have as much of an issue with it as before.

😎
Jun 10, 2019 9:08 PM

Jun 2015
"woke" music is for absolute douchenozzles who think their opinion matters or who "want to make a difference". The type of people who would preach at you for 20 minutes for making a joke about black people. Liking woke music is an instant deal breaker for me but sometimes people who like shit like logic or russ or eminem or whatever are so delusional they can be funny to be around. Other than that fuck right off with that garbage.
Jun 10, 2019 9:50 PM
Jul 2018
Vazka said:
as if OP makes good music lmao!

And whether I make good music or not is relevant how?
Jun 10, 2019 10:12 PM
May 2019
Your entire "argument" is faulty. You obviously don't know what you are talking about. 2Pac is clearly too deep for you. This thread looks like a terrible attempt at trolling.
Jun 10, 2019 10:17 PM
Jul 2018
Krul_Lurk said:
Your entire "argument" is faulty. You obviously don't know what you are talking about. 2Pac is clearly too deep for you. This thread looks like a terrible attempt at trolling.

What is "deep" about 2pac? I'm not trying to troll you or anything, I am legitimately curious. I've listened to all the studio albums he released while he was still alive + Killuminati
Every "message" that 2pac delivered, were basic things that everybody knew. I've already listed an example.
Why is it that whenever I make a thread on a topic that provokes certain people I'm called a "troll"?
Jun 10, 2019 10:44 PM
May 2019
HopefulNihilist said:
Krul_Lurk said:

What is "deep" about 2pac? I'm not trying to troll you or anything, I am legitimately curious. I've listened to all the studio albums he released while he was still alive + Killuminati
Every "message" that 2pac delivered, were basic things that everybody knew. I've already listed an example.
Why is it that whenever I make a thread on a topic that provokes certain people I'm called a "troll"?

I think it's your "delivery" or maybe you are disingenuous and too presumptuous to care, if I'm being real here.

I don't know you but those are my thoughts and I have met many people like that. The worst part is that people like that actually seem to really believe what they say, which is fitting if they are disingenuous and presumptuous but that doesn't make them any less annoying.

Your view on 2Pac, for example, comes off the way I described.

I am only seriously replying because I ended up reading a bit of the discussion between you and @HohoVFX and you actually seem like you listen to alot of Hip Hop but yet, your views on 2Pac for example, are a bit perplexing, if I'm to give you the benefit of the doubt.

To answer your question, I guess you need to establish what you mean by "deep" because 2Pac is deep. Anyone who seriously thinks otherwise must mean something else by "deep".

That quote from 2Pac and your wordings were definitely troll like behavior.
Jun 10, 2019 11:02 PM

Apr 2013
So seems like OP only thinks Conscious Hip Hop is basic due to the majority if it only talking about African American issues. Well sorry to hear that the MCs you know only spoke of basic Black issues "everybody knows" but since I know that I am well versed in the hip hop verse since the artists you listed are only the pinnacle of socially conscious hip hop imma drop a few on you that just don't deal with the basic African American issues

Good Mourning talks about the idea of having a wasted life on the streets and that death is always lurking and many street guys always have it too late to realize that their life is at a mess and it being too late for them to change it due to death grabbing a hold of them. Yet it is also a celebration of life due to the last verse.

This piece focuses on the idea of Heaven and how it is all a place we strive for as Blu learned from his grandfather but as he grows older he comes to realize every man has his own vision of Heaven and that we are just below it.

"Listen, I rap for the ones that Johnny Cash wore, the black, for
Black and white women that were turned to crackhores
And I empty everything in the bank to give for it
I empty all the days of my life to live for it
And I empty all the blood in my veins to fight for it
So I empty all the ink in this pen to write for it"

And here we have a female MC rapping about the current state of Europe rn. Hmm lookie here conscious hip hop that doesn't only focus on "basic African American issues everyone knows about"

Lol even Lil B is deeper than 2Pac

Yet here's the genuis of Lil B at play

"This song is actually so deep that it was disguised as a failure to be deep. The song’s focus seems to be “The Tortoise and the Hare” which is a story that takes a lot to be understood in the slightest and many people fail to grasp it. This song spells everything out for you, but many people fail to grasp it at all, just like the original tale."

Anyways OP I know that you making threads like these will make people rec you some deep shit that isn't just about "basic issues" but man if you are so into this art dig more before you say stuff like this fam

Ascended Taste
I only came back to this site for the forum sets and to promote my RYM list... Anilist ftw still :dab:
Jun 10, 2019 11:24 PM
Jul 2018
Krul_Lurk said:

I think it's your "delivery" or maybe you are disingenuous and too presumptuous to care, if I'm being real here.

You are assuming that I'm disingenuous simply because you disagree with me. Don't you think that's unfair to me?
If I wasn't sincere, why did I go into so much detail about my argument?
How am I being "presumptuous"? The word implies that my behavior is "inappropriate" but it's not: I am expressing my freedom of opinion, without condemning anyone. YOU are the one being presumptuous, because of your condescending tone to me.

Krul_Lurk said:

Then I theorize you didn't fully read the OP: I sincerely laid out an argument on why 2pac isn't a "deep" rapper, using direct quotes from him. Would you prefer I go over literally every line he has ever rapped?

Krul_Lurk said:
To answer your question, I guess you need to establish what you mean by "deep" because 2Pac is deep. Anyone who seriously thinks otherwise must mean something else by "deep".

Alright, that's fair: in my opinion, a "deep" message in socially conscious rap is a message that is not basic; meaning it's a message that required complex research to find. For example, if a rapper made a rap song addressing Trump's tariffs on Mexico, I'd consider that to be "deep": because that is legit news that you can't figure out just by thinking 5 minutes to yourself, nor is it common knowledge/sense.
2pac's songs like, "Keep Ya Head Up", while containing positive "messages" when you think about it, is basic information that even people in the ghetto know:
"They got money for war, but not money for the poor"
"And since a man can't make one (referring to babies)
He has no right to tell a woman when and where to create one"
No shit? These are all either common knowledge, or common opinions that literally everyone is aware of.

Krul_Lurk said:

How was quoting 2pac "trolling"?

Aidoru-Ojisan said:
So seems like OP only thinks Conscious Hip Hop is basic due to the majority if it only talking about African American issues.

No, I never said that conscious rap is basic because it mainly talks about African-American issues: I said it's basic because it talks about issues that literally everybody is aware of. Although, I've come to the conclusion, based on peoples' replies, that this applies primarily to mainstream socially conscious rap. According to what people have said here, underground socially conscious rap is more complex.
I'll listen to the songs you posted later, but the descriptions you gave of what the "message" of the songs were were nothing that requires research into politics.
removed-userJun 10, 2019 11:28 PM
Jun 10, 2019 11:34 PM

Apr 2013
HopefulNihilist said:
Krul_Lurk said:

You are assuming that I'm disingenuous simply because you disagree with me. Don't you think that's unfair to me?
How am I being "presumptuous"? The word implies that my behavior is "inappropriate" but it's not: I am expressing my freedom of opinion, without condemning anyone. YOU are the one being presumptuous, because of your condescending tone to me.

Krul_Lurk said:

Then I theorize you didn't fully read the OP: I sincerely laid out an argument on why 2pac isn't a "deep" rapper, using direct quotes from him. Would you prefer I go over literally every line he has ever rapped?

Krul_Lurk said:

Alright, that's fair: in my opinion, a "deep" message in socially conscious rap is a message that is not basic; meaning it's a message that required complex research to find. For example, if a rapper made a rap song addressing Trump's tariffs on Mexico, I'd consider that to be "deep": because that is legit news that you can't figure out just by thinking 5 minutes to yourself, nor is it common knowledge/sense.
2pac's songs like, "Keep Ya Head Up", while containing positive "messages" when you think about it, is basic information that even people in the ghetto know:
No shit? These are all either common knowledge, or common opinions that literally everyone is aware of.

Krul_Lurk said:

Aidoru-Ojisan said:
So seems like OP only thinks Conscious Hip Hop is basic due to the majority if it only talking about African American issues.

No, I never said that conscious rap is basic because it mainly talks about African-American issues: I said it's basic because it talks about issues that literally everybody is aware of. Although, I've come to the conclusion, based on peoples' replies, that this applies primarily to mainstream socially conscious rap. According to what people have said here, underground socially conscious rap is more complex.
I'll listen to the songs you posted later, but the descriptions you gave of what the "message" of the songs were were nothing that requires research into politics.

"but the descriptions you gave of what the "message" of the songs were were nothing that requires research into politics"

"Conscious hip hop is a term applied to Hip Hop artists whose lyrics deal with social issues. It has parallels with Political Hip Hop, although its focus is extended to topics such as religion, African American culture, everyday life and the state of hip hop itself."

Ascended Taste
I only came back to this site for the forum sets and to promote my RYM list... Anilist ftw still :dab:
Jun 10, 2019 11:35 PM
Jul 2018
Aidoru-Ojisan said:
HopefulNihilist said:

"but the descriptions you gave of what the "message" of the songs were were nothing that requires research into politics"

"Conscious hip hop is a term applied to Hip Hop artists whose lyrics deal with social issues. It has parallels with Political Hip Hop, although its focus is extended to topics such as religion, African American culture, everyday life and the state of hip hop itself."

Alright, that's fair. But how come mainstream socially conscious rap can't be less basic (other than to appeal to a mainstream audience)?
Jun 10, 2019 11:47 PM

Apr 2013
HopefulNihilist said:
Aidoru-Ojisan said:

Alright, that's fair. But how come mainstream socially conscious rap can't be less basic (other than to appeal to a mainstream audience)?

Because I doubt that majority of the listeners actually care about what happens beyond current political issues and shit, I doubt any American audience could relate to the song Kate Temptest did about the state of Europe. It's just that most mainstream MCs will do stuff that their audience can relate to, TPAP is so aclaimed due to it being released when black activism was at its peak. This versus the underground themes of MCs rapping about the status of modern hip hop and stuff (which is also a lyrical theme of Concsious Hip Hop)

"Hip-Hop, the most progressive music in the bunch
We hear tracks from '05 on a flashback lunch
Cause we move ahead every 30 seconds
So hows it been 40 years and all we fucking rap about is weapons?"

(from Lil Ugly Mane's On Doing An Evil Deed Blues)

but it's also like with that Lil B song I posted how it is a representation of being so deep that it fails to be deep cause people will fall to grab the concept despite the lyrics telling you clearly about what he is rapping about, it's with the mainstream that you gotta get the point across and that point better be something that is on the news so that people actually listen to it, vs something abstract and complex.

Ascended Taste
Jun 11, 2019 12:14 AM
May 2019
HopefulNihilist said:

Lol. The "victim card" LOLLLL. Typical. You didn't help you case here at all. I said "maybe" and even said "I don't know you" and then said why I thought those thoughts but here you are being selective and trying to play the victim and calling things for what they aren't. Lol at "condescending tone" lol. You started this thread being condescending LOL. All you are doing is proving that my initial thoughts of you might actually be correct.

HopefulNihilist said:

You don't see your problem? I guess not.

Krul_Lurk said:

HopefulNihilist said:

You don't see how ^this argument is condescending and out of touch? THAT's your definition of deep? You are pushing a "definition" that was never there and that is out of touch and then try to put down those Artist you mentioned for that. It's like you are making things up just to complain.

Krul_Lurk said:

HopefulNihilist said:

That's not what I said. I rest my case.
Krul_LurkJun 11, 2019 12:18 AM
Jun 11, 2019 5:14 AM
Jul 2018
Krul_Lurk said:
Lol. The "victim card" LOLLLL. Typical. You didn't help you case here at all. I said "maybe" and even said "I don't know you" and then said why I thought those thoughts but here you are being selective and trying to play the victim and calling things for what they aren't. Lol at "condescending tone" lol. You started this thread being condescending LOL. All you are doing is proving that my initial thoughts of you might actually be correct.

I'm not claiming I'm a "victim", I'm simply pointing out the irony in you saying I'm being "presumptuous", when you're the one who's condescending.

Krul_Lurk said:

Then explain what the problem was with the OP.

Krul_Lurk said:

Krul_Lurk said:
You don't see how ^this argument is condescending and out of touch?

How is my argument, "condescending and out of touch"?

Krul_Lurk said:
THAT's your definition of deep? You are pushing a "definition" that was never there and that is out of touch and then try to put down those Artist you mentioned for that. It's like you are making things up just to complain.

The definition of "deep" is very subjective. Even Digibro explained how reduntant the term is:[/quote]

That's not what I said. I rest my case.[/quote]

You literally said that the quote I put from 2pac, and my wordings were, "troll-like behavior".

1) You've spent more time arguing on whether I was being "condescending" or not.
2) Like literally every 2pac fan I've discussed with, you haven't actually made any argument as to what made 2pac a "deep" rapper.

If you're not on this thread to actually discuss rap, why are you here? If you're going to continue trying to argue how "condescending" I am being, even though I'm not (or at the very least, my intention isn't), then I'm going to ignore you.

Aidoru-Ojisan said:

Because I doubt that majority of the listeners actually care about what happens beyond current political issues and shit,

Interesting.

Aidoru-Ojisan said:
I doubt any American audience could relate to the song Kate Temptest did about the state of Europe.

Does a song need to be relatable to appeal to a mainstream audience? Plenty of party songs and "bangers" aren't meant to be relatable.

Aidoru-Ojisan said:
It's just that most mainstream MCs will do stuff that their audience can relate to,

Now that I think about it, the most critically acclaimed novels tend to be the ones people can relate to the most, so I guess it applies to rap to.

Aidoru-Ojisan said:
TPAP is so aclaimed due to it being released when black activism was at its peak.

Wait, I thought Trap rap was released to sound catchy, and is primarily about rapping about drugs. Sure, there are trap rappers like Joyner Lucas who rap about other things, but for the most part, isn't trap rap associated with being about drugs?

Aidoru-Ojisan said:
but it's also like with that Lil B song I posted how it is a representation of being so deep that it fails to be deep cause people will fall to grab the concept despite the lyrics telling you clearly about what he is rapping about, it's with the mainstream that you gotta get the point across and that point better be something that is on the news so that people actually listen to it, vs something abstract and complex.

But what about Kendrick Lamar? His songs like Wesley's Theory certainly require more attention from the listener's part, but the lyrics, especially at the end, clearly indicate what the song's about.
Or is it that most people who listen to Kendrick don't actually pay attention to what he's saying?
removed-userJun 11, 2019 7:10 AM
Jun 11, 2019 7:08 AM

Apr 2013
HopefulNihilist said:
Krul_Lurk said:

I'm not claiming I'm a "victim", I'm simply pointing out the irony in you saying I'm being "presumptuous", when you're the one who's condescending.

Krul_Lurk said:

Then explain what the problem was with the OP.

Krul_Lurk said:

Krul_Lurk said:
You don't see how ^this argument is condescending and out of touch?

How is my argument, "condescending and out of touch"?

Krul_Lurk said:
THAT's your definition of deep? You are pushing a "definition" that was never there and that is out of touch and then try to put down those Artist you mentioned for that. It's like you are making things up just to complain.

The definition of "deep" is very subjective. Even Digibro explained how reduntant the term is:
[yt]8dpLGDuCxgc

That's not what I said. I rest my case.[/quote]

You literally said that the quote I put from 2pac, and my wordings were, "troll-like behavior".

1) You've spent more time arguing on whether I was being "condescending" or not.
2) Like literally every 2pac fan I've discussed with, you haven't actually made any argument as to what made 2pac a "deep" rapper.

If you're not on this thread to actually discuss rap, why are you here? If you're going to continue trying to argue how "condescending" I am being, even though I'm not (or at the very least, my intention isn't), then I'm going to ignore you.

Aidoru-Ojisan said:

Because I doubt that majority of the listeners actually care about what happens beyond current political issues and shit,

Interesting.

Aidoru-Ojisan said:
I doubt any American audience could relate to the song Kate Temptest did about the state of Europe.

Does a song need to be relatable to appeal to a mainstream audience? Plenty of party songs and "bangers" aren't meant to be relatable.

Aidoru-Ojisan said:
It's just that most mainstream MCs will do stuff that their audience can relate to,

Now that I think about it, the most critically acclaimed novels tend to be the ones people can relate to the most, so I guess it applies to rap to.

Aidoru-Ojisan said:
TPAP is so aclaimed due to it being released when black activism was at its peak.

Wait, I thought Trap rap was released to sound catchy, and is primarily about rapping about drugs. Sure, there are trap rappers like Joyner Lucas who rap about other things, but for the most part, isn't trap rap associated with being about drugs?

Aidoru-Ojisan said:

But what about Kendrick Lamar? His songs like Wesley's Theory certainly require more attention from the listener's part, but the lyrics, especially at the end, clearly indicate what the song's about.
Or is it that most people who listen to Kendrick don't actually pay attention to what he's saying?[/quote]

btw when I was saying TPAP I was talking about To Pimp A Butterfly so that my line about it being acclaimed makes much more sense.

Ascended Taste
Jun 14, 2019 1:54 PM
Jul 2018
prerty based thread
Jun 15, 2019 1:25 PM
May 2019
I said I rest my case. There's clearly no point.
Jun 15, 2019 4:05 PM
Jul 2018
Krul_Lurk said:
I said I rest my case. There's clearly no point.

You didn't even try to debate with me: you're argument was, "2pac is deep" and that's it. You're right: there was no point. No points you had for the debate.

More topics from this board

» Currently listening to ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsukareru - Mar 29, 2021

7571 by tsukareru »»
16 minutes ago

Poll: » Avatar: The Way of Water or Dune: Part Two

AcbSnakeDemon - Apr 20

6 by alex889 »»
5 hours ago

» What Are Your Thoughts On The Owl House?

Enderobot - Apr 18

6 by Enderobot »»
Yesterday, 9:05 AM

» What's your favorite song?

DollzchanAi - Apr 18

10 by not-perfect »»
Yesterday, 2:06 AM

» cardi b fans unite

batslimeman - Apr 18

2 by batslimeman »»
Yesterday, 2:00 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.