Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jun 1, 2019 8:51 PM

Oct 2017
Saw a similar thread on other anime thread, thought it'd be a decent topic to sparse up some conversation in this barren thread.

Personally I think the character design of Sarazanmai is one of the main strength of this show for us to care about the characters from get go.

All of them have refreshing and unique look , and somewhat cute too, be it main casts, side casts, and antagonist.
Even the "female cast" which is Sara, is unique in her own way too, not boil down to typical moe characters like in many of the light novel female casts.
Even the animal side-kick = Kappi looks refreshing, creepy, funny, yet somehow cute.

Anyway, cast your vote.
Jun 2, 2019 3:26 AM
Jul 2018
Voted "very good / attractive". The care given to the chara design helps make each shot in Sarazanmai a delicacy. Special mention to the use of colors and color theory. The shading gives a cute, round appearance to the characters, but there's also something sleek about it which doesn't make it out-of-place in serious scenes.

Everything is vibrant and expressive, which is imo important in anime. I mean, that's the biggest asset of anime as a medium. Sarazanmai is bold and innovative when showing characters' emotions (loved how they twisted Enta's expressions in a way that hadn't been used before in EP8, for example). The chara design isn't stiff and allows room for the animators to play with it.

The fact that there is no off-model shot helps the viewer enjoy the chara design to the max.

The three main boys, esp Kazuki and Enta, could have looked "basic" and lacking flavor with other anime's chara design. But they are memorable. It's obvious when looking at fanart: sometimes with other anime a fanart can make you go "wait which dark-blue-haired brooding boy is that" or "which kitsune girl is that? Is she even an anime character? Maybe she's just an original character the artist came up with". However with Sarazanmai it's so obvious it's them. The chara design incorporated enough elements so that you wouldn't mistake Enta for another normal-looking blond anime boy in fanart. That's a criteria I use ahah

I may sound biased - and I am. One day I might rewatch the anime, take a bunch of screencaps to illustrate my points. Others have started writing articles about it already.
Jun 2, 2019 4:56 AM

Apr 2019
I have to admit that the color palette used in the anime is really nice and eye-catching, significantly better when compared to Penguindrum or Yurikuma. When looking at Reo's design at first, I was afraid he would look awkward due to his dark skin color, but he was still amazing and hot in the end.

Minor complaint is for Toi's freckles which I disliked at first (now not much anymore), even though I know it's supposed to be another "soba" pun from Ikuhara.
Jul 28, 2019 10:16 AM

Mar 2016
It was aight. The animation quality was really there, but the character designs don’t really give them any particular charm in general. At least I guess they do look like real people?

I have nothing to say about the fucking Kappa and otters, though.
Jul 30, 2019 10:38 AM

Jun 2013
Funny you would call Sara's design "unique" when she looks almost exactly like the monster from Sailor Moon R episode 5, an episode which Ikuhara himself directed. Sure she stands out from other stuff coming out right now but it's clearly a reused design.

Overall I like the designs in Sarazanmai but I don't think they're particularly amazing.
L_O_V_E_L_A_I_NAug 6, 2019 3:36 PM
Aug 5, 2019 8:03 PM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
They look great, especially Reo and Mabu.
Aug 6, 2019 2:54 PM

Mar 2009
L_O_V_E_L_A_I_N said:
Funny you would call Sara's design "unique" when she looks almost exactly like the monster from Sailor Moon episode 5, an episode which Ikuhara himself directed. Sure she stands out from other stuff coming out right now but it's clearly a reused design.

Overall I like the designs in Sarazanmai but I don't think they're particularly amazing.

nice catch!! she reminded me of reci too!!
Aug 6, 2019 3:24 PM

Oct 2015
Leo and Mabu are hot. For some reason it's not possible to go wrong with dark skin + white hair. Anyway thx OP for reminding me to read the spin-off manga.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sarazanmai Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 11, 2019

314 by Zam2202 »»
Dec 22, 2023 4:15 AM

Poll: » Sarazanmai Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 18, 2019

186 by thegoishady »»
Aug 7, 2023 7:02 AM

Poll: » Sarazanmai Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 20, 2019

140 by 3miL »»
Apr 29, 2023 10:06 PM

Poll: » Sarazanmai Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 6, 2019

70 by nifetiseBOY »»
Feb 11, 2023 5:02 AM

» Is this tagged as yaoi?

FragileGlass - May 6, 2019

12 by Teirayo »»
Feb 25, 2022 3:11 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.