Forum Settings
Forums
Spice and Wolf (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Jun 1, 2019 11:33 AM
May 2018
Hello, simple if not stupid question here as i tend to triple check everything i buy.. Does the; 'Spice and Wolf anniversary collector's edition' contain all if not most of the novel volumes up until 17? I understand it is a nicely made book and is pretty pricey, hence why i wanted to make sure what i'm buying is worth it before i do. What exactly does the S&W collectors contain in terms of volumes or chapters? Does it contain everything that was released before it was made? Ik obviously i doesn't have any content made after, but that's all i wanted to know, if it contains everything or if it's missing anything?

TLDR?: What does the S&W collector's edition contain volume wise? Should i buy it or should i buy the light novels individually? Thanks.
Jun 1, 2019 1:02 PM

Sep 2015
Lachyness said:
TLDR?: What does the S&W collector's edition contain volume wise? Should i buy it or should i buy the light novels individually? Thanks.

I own this anniversary edition. It contains all the original 17 volumes.
I'd say due to it's wight and size, strictly a collector's item, it's really impractical to read. I read the ebook version so I'd recommend buying them or the simple soft cover volumes as well for general use. That way you get everything anyways.
Jun 1, 2019 3:54 PM

May 2010
I own this as well. Not only did I get the dreaded "ding because Amazon ships hardcovers improperly", I also discovered that there are production issues with these collectors edition as the cover of mine seems to have some glue in it (I think I'm not the only one when I look at ebay listings). Plus the text is tiny in order to fit all those volumes.

It's far easier to lie down on the side and reading with the softcovers rather than reading on your stomach or with the Collectors' Edition on your lap.

The art is still cool to look at though. That plus they made a lot of effort to make that spine look nice on a shelf.
Jun 2, 2019 1:28 AM

Jun 2016
It's all 17 original volumes. None of the later stories or recaps.

I've held the book in my hands, and as big of a fan as I am (i'm planning on getting a Holo tattoo), I cannot say the $400 price tag is justified when you can get the eBooks for next to nothing or already have the individual novels, which buying all of them still wouldn't come out that expensive.
Jun 2, 2019 7:40 AM

Sep 2015
@Vorpality
The value of a limeted edition collector's item is weighed on a different scale than the everyday version and it's a different dimension from the value of a digital version. I bought the book for about 200$ after it released now you say it's 400 and it's unlikely that it's price will drop.

Or look at the card sleeves. It's listing price was 700 Yen (about 6.50$) and now it's generally over 100$ and even on the Japanese market it's rare to find one below 10000JPY.

The Keito Koume mini artbook released this January for the completion of the manga adaptation was I think 600JPY and now it sells for about 40-60$ on eBay.
Jun 2, 2019 10:26 AM

Jul 2014
Thread moved from Manga Discussion
Take care of yourself

Jun 3, 2019 1:55 AM

Jun 2016
Heldengeist said:
@Vorpality
The value of a limeted edition collector's item is weighed on a different scale than the everyday version and it's a different dimension from the value of a digital version. I bought the book for about 200$ after it released now you say it's 400 and it's unlikely that it's price will drop.

Or look at the card sleeves. It's listing price was 700 Yen (about 6.50$) and now it's generally over 100$ and even on the Japanese market it's rare to find one below 10000JPY.

The Keito Koume mini artbook released this January for the completion of the manga adaptation was I think 600JPY and now it sells for about 40-60$ on eBay.

It really depends.

I have a first press of GitS with the lesbian splash panel, isn't worth much. Same for a packaged Asuka figure from when Evangelion was still airing

I don't think the book is going to go up in value, it's already been out for a year plus and it's stayed right at $400.
Jun 3, 2019 12:27 PM

Sep 2015
@Vorpality
Maybe it won't go any higher unless it's a numbered one, but I don't see it going any lower. The fandom around this series seems to be pretty devout. It's a bit late for buying the book as an investment expecting profit, but it's still a worthy addition of a personal collection. I'd sure choose this 10 time out of 10 over a figure.
Jun 9, 2019 2:12 AM

Dec 2009
Not the right thread but man... I've never read the novels yet but I didn't know Spice and Wolf was still publishing all this time... I completed the anime in 2010...
Aug 29, 2019 11:41 AM

Sep 2015
waalex11 said:
Not the right thread but man... I've never read the novels yet but I didn't know Spice and Wolf was still publishing all this time... I completed the anime in 2010...
LNs tend to run for a long time. However in this case the series had ended with Volume 17 in 2016. Or at least it was intended to. The story was essentially closed with Holo and Lawrence.

Then it got continued for some reason. I haven't continued yet (though I most likely will at some point) and however I love the franchise, I'm not convinced that it needed to be continued this way. By the volume titles they might just be some side stories.

For me this is the real sequel.
Sep 3, 2019 2:28 AM

Dec 2009
Heldengeist said:
waalex11 said:
LNs tend to run for a long time. However in this case the series had ended with Volume 17 in 2016. Or at least it was intended to. The story was essentially closed with Holo and Lawrence.

Then it got continued for some reason. I haven't continued yet (though I most likely will at some point) and however I love the franchise, I'm not convinced that it needed to be continued this way. By the volume titles they might just be some side stories.

For me this is the real sequel.
Damn. Interesting. I wonder when I'll start reading it.
Sep 18, 2019 10:36 PM
Aug 2014
Vorpality said:

I've held the book in my hands, and as big of a fan as I am (i'm planning on getting a Holo tattoo), I cannot say the $400 price tag is justified when you can get the eBooks for next to nothing or already have the individual novels, which buying all of them still wouldn't come out that expensive.

Do you know where I can read the eBooks?
Mar 31, 2020 6:45 PM

Dec 2009
ragen99 said:
Vorpality said:

Do you know where I can read the eBooks?
Kobo is a great website of licensed manga and japanese light novels.

More topics from this board

» Ookami to Koushinryou Vol. 4

JeremiahOrange - Nov 2, 2023

1 by TheMangaManiac »»
Mar 8, 9:25 PM

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou Vol. 1

removed-user - Apr 9, 2016

4 by gannoncannon55 »»
Dec 23, 2023 9:42 PM

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou Chapter 3 Discussion

TripleSRank - Nov 19, 2015

1 by gannoncannon55 »»
Dec 22, 2023 9:32 PM

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou Chapter 2 Discussion

TripleSRank - Nov 17, 2015

3 by gannoncannon55 »»
Dec 22, 2023 2:52 AM

» Ookami to Koushinryou Vol. 6

JeremiahOrange - Nov 6, 2023

0 by JeremiahOrange »»
Nov 6, 2023 5:46 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.