Forum Settings
Forums

What is Rumiko Takahashi's best major series?

New
Jun 1, 2019 10:53 AM
Feb 2018
I'm currently working on Ranma 1/2 and Maison Ikkoku. I did enjoy InuYasha.
Jun 1, 2019 11:47 AM

Oct 2013
InuYasha the only one I could actually finish so guess thats my answer
Jun 1, 2019 11:49 AM

Oct 2010
Urusei Yatsura, the best absurd comedy ever with hot girls and violence.
Jun 1, 2019 11:52 AM

Apr 2018
I've only watched and read Inuyasha. I am very interested in the others, however.
Jun 1, 2019 11:53 AM
May 2018
I "only" saw entire Urusei Yatsura, Maison Ikkoku, and around 100 or so episodes of InuYasha.

What I definitely think is that I absolutely disliked Yusaku from MI, the only good thing about him, IMO, was his legendary seiyu Issei Futamata who is also known for Scylla Io, Hypnos, and Chakram Europa from Saint Seiya, as well as Narrator in Hunter x Hunter reboot series.

It hard to decide, there were a lot of other things that I didn't like, but overall they were all entertaining titles with memorable characters, it was also really nice how UY, and Inuyasha had some feel of supernatural, and also mixed Japanese folklore in them.

One thing that is common to Takahashi's anime is that seiyu are really really good - already mentioned Issei Futamata, Toshio Furukawa, Fumi Hirano, Sumi Shimamoto, Noriko Hidaka, Kappei Yamaguchi, Hoko Kuwashima, Yukino Satsuki, etc...
I know famous Megumi Hayashibara was in Ranma 1/2, but I didn't saw that one, although she is one of best seiyu ever.

Urusei Yatsura was really good supernatural comedy, but overall, I think I enjoyed InuYasha more, at least what I saw, especially because of Sango, and Miroku.

I hope to someday watch everything from Takahashi again.
Jun 1, 2019 11:56 AM

Dec 2012
Inu Yasha was best of the lot that I've seen followed by Maison Ikkoku. I also enjoyed Mermaid Forrest. I never finished Urusei Yatsura and I haven't seen Ranma 1/2.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Jun 1, 2019 11:58 AM

Jan 2016
Maison Ikkoku, I liked the Manga more though. The jokes worked better and more than 90 episodes are a bit too much for a 15 volumes Manga.

They also removed
Jun 1, 2019 12:00 PM

Jun 2014
I guess I'm the only person who hated all her works.

I strongly consider Maison Ikkoku and Urusei Yatsura to be among the worst Anime ever created.

Jun 1, 2019 12:01 PM

Sep 2018
I like urusei yatsura, it’s really bizarre and fun
Jun 1, 2019 12:13 PM
Feb 2018
Seiya said:
I guess I'm the only person who hated all her works.

I strongly consider Maison Ikkoku and Urusei Yatsura to be among the worst Anime ever created.
Once you have a distaste for a manga artist, it's hard to enjoy any of their works.
Jun 1, 2019 12:21 PM
Feb 2018
I feel like InuYasha is better if you want good action, with good characters, good story and lots of light-hearted moments where as, Ranma 1/2 succeeds in being just a great comedy with great character's with a plot that unfortunately is never really there or completed by the end. Maison Ikkoku is more of a serious story, with convincing characters, good comedy and its story is actually completed by the end without an overabundance of filler as compared to Ranma 1/2 or InuYasha. I can't say anything else since I haven't fully finished Ranma 1/2, Maison Ikkoku and I haven't seen Urusei Yatsura.
Jun 1, 2019 3:04 PM

Nov 2009
I'm partial to Maison Ikkoku as it seems to be her only attempt at writing a semi-serious human drama with characters who change significantly over the course of the series.
Jun 1, 2019 3:20 PM

Jun 2019
Inuyasha is the only one I've seen and seen all the way through so coming at it from an already strongly biased perspective, but it's a big show that gives viewers time to really breathe in the world and come to know and love the characters and be invested in an epic story and quest to the extent one would become invested in a very long and detailed high fantasy novel of grand scope. One of the only shows I can think of that has almost every genre represented in it effectively at some point, be it adventure, drama, action, romance, comedy; even horror elements at times. With the time travel element, it can even function as a period piece/historical fiction.

Plus it has a rich mythology that only exists within the show universe as well as drawing upon real Japanese mythology to provide the basis. As well as, in my opinion, some of the most beautiful music ever put to screen in any show or film in its OST.
Jun 1, 2019 3:24 PM
Jul 2018
It is not Inuyasha. That's for sure.
Jun 1, 2019 3:29 PM

Dec 2016
Voted for Ranma 1/2 because it's the only one I've finished so far and because I adore it. The characters and their interactions in the wide range of bombastic situations they live together every day are incredibly fun to watch, especially Ryouga, it's also my favorite slice-of-life show and the art is so cozy. I don't get the people who say it loses steam in the way...I never got bored throughout its entire run.

I tried watching Inuyasha but I could never get into it. I found the whole cast incredibly annoying.

I'm eventually going to watch MI and UY too, and I think I'm gonna love the former.
Jun 1, 2019 3:31 PM
Jul 2018
To me, it's Ranma 1/2, although Inu Yasha is very good too.
Jun 1, 2019 3:37 PM

Sep 2014
i've only watched maison ikkoku and I sincerely hope it's not her best work, as I found it extremely disappointing and for most of its run just boring as hell

im starting urusei yatsura soon, though. hope its as good as people say
Jun 1, 2019 3:53 PM

May 2013
Maison Ikkoku for sure. Characters mature believably in that series and the series stops before it gets anywhere close to boring.
Truly a Divine Comedy
Jun 1, 2019 4:54 PM

Aug 2016
Haven't watched Ranma 1/2. Urusei Yatsura got rather one dimensional except the second movie. I am still watching Maison Ikkoku and it had a dull start and is wavering between slightly interesting to meh. I enjoyed Inuyasha the most. Despite the fillers, the world is simply more interesting, the characters were more enjoyable, and there was a nice balance.
Jun 1, 2019 6:19 PM

May 2018
Ranma 1/2 > Urusei Yatsura > Maison Ikkoku > Inuyasha
Jun 1, 2019 6:28 PM

Feb 2018
Mermaid Forest, because it didn't drag on with misunderstandings and fillers to the point of annoyance. I prefer to read her manga over the anime, but even then the plot usually gets stretched too thin for my patience.

Too bad there's a non-ending for the Mermaid Forest manga, though it's kind of fitting for the theme it set up
Jun 1, 2019 7:35 PM

Jan 2014
Looove Maison Ikkoku such a good romance.
☆・。・。☆・(* ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ~Aphotic ☆・。・。☆・゜
Jun 1, 2019 9:42 PM

Dec 2015
I've only seen one third of Inuyasha so I don't know. I liked what I saw though.
Jun 1, 2019 10:08 PM

Oct 2013
Never finished Inuyasha and never watched any if the others listed. I did watch the first 2 Kyoukai no Rinne seasons though and wasn't very impressed. I'm sure the others might be better than Rinne was but not really interested in trying them.
Jun 1, 2019 10:17 PM

Jul 2009
Maison Ikkoku easily. Maybe it hits home for me since I was watching it during college, but I absolutely love the chemistry between the main couple. Godai and Kyoko are my most favorite Takahashi leads. Like all of her other work, though, it has its fair share of annoying characters.

Ranma 1/2 is her funniest series. The gender-bender concept is utilized entertainingly, and the side characters are much better than in Maison Ikkoku. However, I found the middle portion to be fairly inconsistent in terms of pacing, which is quite a problem for a series spanning more than a hundred episodes. On a side note, Female Ranma was my childhood crush.

Inuyasha was okay, I guess. I like its mythological world based on Feudal Japan, but the cast leaves much to be desired. Although I have a soft spot for tsunderes, Kagome irritated me to no end. Thankfully, Final Act is much better than the main series.

I tried watching a bit of Urusei Yatsura long ago, but I just couldn't get into it. Gonna give it another chance someday.
Jun 2, 2019 12:42 AM

Jan 2016
I pity the plebian who can’t enjoy Urusei Yatsura.
▾ Check Out My Original Series ▾

▾ Check Out My Blog ▾
Jun 2, 2019 5:53 AM
Jan 2017
Inuyasha is her best work for me. Though Ranma ½ is actually the funniest. I enjoyed Inuyasha too much, almost to the point of obsession.

Jun 2, 2019 6:09 AM
Jul 2018
Only read her 3 major manga so:
1.maison ikkoku
2.urusei yatsura
3.ranma 1/2
4.probably everything else by a margin
Jun 2, 2019 6:11 AM

Sep 2014
i've just started urusei yatsura, does the main character ever stop being such an annoying brat? how about the shinobu girl?
Jun 2, 2019 10:26 AM
May 2015
Can't choose between Urusei, Maison and Ranma.

Jun 2, 2019 9:23 PM
Jan 2016
My favorite is Rinne tbh, it wasn't nearly as crazy as any of her other works, but it still managed to be both fun and very comfy.
Jun 2, 2019 9:36 PM

Feb 2014
Well, I've only watched Maison Ikkoku and a few episodes of Urusei Yatsura. Maison Ikkoku, for all its faults, is probably the best romcom anime I've seen. Great directing, music, voice acting (especially for Kyoko), and one of the most satisfying endings of any anime I've watched. It makes sitting through all the frustrating love triangles and misunderstandings, and especially tolerating those asshole tenants worth it.
Jun 3, 2019 9:58 AM
Jul 2018
Inuyasha, because I grew up with it, loving it and still do, but sadly, I have not seen anything else than Ranma 1/2. Or at least not enough episodes of Urusei Yatsura or Maison Ikkoku to have a fix opinion about it.
Jun 3, 2019 10:05 AM

Feb 2010
Never saw Inuyasha. Never saw much of Ranma 1/2 aside from the first few seasons which were licensed in german, and that was 15 years ago so hard to say how I feel about it now.

Between Urusei Yatsura and Maison Ikkoku, I'll have to pick Urusei Yatsura for higher overall entertainment value, better support cast and having some of the best franchise movies ever. Ikkoku peaks higher toward the end, and is probably the best Takahashi show in terms of development and an actual conclusion, but it also has the most obnoxious side characters of the bunch and was the only one of her shows that I almost dropped and had on-hold for, idk, 7 years because the early eps were that frustrating to watch.

Why is Kyoukai no Rinne not among the options tho? It has 40 volumes, 75 episodes of anime and was the most recent of her 'main' series, making it more likely that newer fans have actually heard of it. Not that I'd place it above Urusei Yatsura or Maison Ikkoku, but it feels random to exclude it.
I probably regret this post by now.
Jun 11, 2019 1:46 PM

Oct 2010
Pullman said:
Between Urusei Yatsura and Maison Ikkoku, I'll have to pick Urusei Yatsura for higher overall entertainment value, better support cast and having some of the best franchise movies ever. Ikkoku peaks higher toward the end, and is probably the best Takahashi show in terms of development and an actual conclusion, but it also has the most obnoxious side characters of the bunch and was the only one of her shows that I almost dropped and had on-hold for, idk, 7 years because the early eps were that frustrating to watch.

I'll finish a week or so Urusei Yatsura and I'll go straight to Maison Ikkoku, damn! I hope they aren't that obnoxious and annoying. Quick question: are they more annoying than Onsen, Ran-chan, Ryoko and Ryuunosuke's dad? from your experience of course.
Jun 11, 2019 7:00 PM

Aug 2018
Urusei Yatsura is one of my all-time favorite anime.
Jun 12, 2019 12:32 AM

Aug 2012
I will have to go with Inuyasha as is the only one with a conclusive ending. But Urusei Yatsura is the ancestors of all romcons and is amazing. The only problem just like Ranma there is no final ending. We know that things can only go one path but the ending is still open.
Jun 12, 2019 1:00 AM

Dec 2017
I've only watched InuYasha but the others seems interesting too
Jun 12, 2019 6:58 AM

Nov 2007
InuYasha of course. Both award winning manga and award winning anime adaptation.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Jun 12, 2019 7:11 AM

Dec 2016
Unsurprising InuYasha leading the votes considering it's the youngest of all the titles.

Ofc 80s shows have no opportunity in this site....
Jun 12, 2019 7:28 AM

Nov 2011
People should not be allowed to vote if they don't know all of options, that is why our democracy is still in a bad state ...
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Jun 13, 2019 10:00 AM
Jul 2018
Jim_Heart said:
People should not be allowed to vote if they don't know all of options, that is why our democracy is still in a bad state ...

Should that work for politics too??
Jun 13, 2019 10:04 AM

Jun 2012
Regardless of which you think is best, you can't deny the profound amount of influence they've had in their respective genres. All the way since InuYasha to the Haruhi evolution, there were a ton of series that drew inspiration from that series. Maison Ikkoku and Those Noisy Aliens pretty much set the precedence for romcoms for over a decade. Quite a driving force in the manga and anime industry.
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

Jun 13, 2019 1:10 PM

Jun 2019
Arkab said:
Unsurprising InuYasha leading the votes considering it's the youngest of all the titles.

Ofc 80s shows have no opportunity in this site....

Age has nothing to do with it for more folks than you might think. Unlike some others, I never watched a single minute of Inuyasha growing up. I vaguely knew of its existence from maybe three brief TV spot commercials I ever saw on Cartoon Network for it. Didn't know a single thing about it, wasn't interested, and wasn't interested in any anime shows in general. I didn't start watching it until I turned 25 shortly after getting into anime in general and decided I wanted to start a longer series, so I read the synopses from several different shows. It simply sounded the most interesting.

Takahashi has obviously contributed a lot to the industry and I'm grateful for her work in bringing such a rich and colorful story to life in Inuyasha, but aside from Mermaid Forest which is on my to-watch list, reading over the synopses for her other works, there's nothing that actually appeals to me and probably a lot of people who aren't into strictly romantic comedies. I can't speak to their quality at all as I haven't seen them and if anything, would assume they're stellar since they're a product of Takahashi, but they don't seem to offer the same range of genres as Inuyasha.
WatchTillTandavaJun 13, 2019 1:14 PM
Jun 13, 2019 1:15 PM

Jul 2014
InuYasha too, but Ranma 1/2 holds a special place in my heart so its pretty hard to decide, went with Ranma 1/2 since InuYasha's already winning. Not really a fan of her other works but I have watched Urusei Yatsura, Lum was one of my childhood anime crushes iirc.
Jun 13, 2019 3:10 PM

Apr 2017
Ranma 1/2 is. It's also one of the comfiest anime/manga series to ever be created. (Let's just ignore the garbage ending though, please. Excluding the ending, this is the truth.) The characters are all so fun, and it's just an all around fun, goofy, heartwarming, and good time. Urusei Yatsura would be her other best. Inuyasha is....fine. I think her true strength lay with creating lovable and OTT characters in Romcom series.
Jun 13, 2019 5:20 PM

Nov 2008
I'm glad Inuyasha is winning like it deserves. xD It has great romance, great action, great drama, and great characters.

While I enjoy Ranma 1/2, Akane f*cking ruins everything. She's really intolerable. I'm so glad Kagome was not an Akane clone. Rumiko really learned her lesson with making a likable heroine and it shines the most with Kagome.

I WISH I could like Rinne but it's so f*ckin BORING. :( Seriously, I wanted to like it so much....

More topics from this board

Poll: » Do you tend to watch newer seasonal shows, or older shows?

Akuya - 4 hours ago

20 by AryaVai »»
1 minute ago

» Do you find how the anime community finds something to be edgy annoying?

vasipi4946 - 4 hours ago

9 by W3TFT »»
7 minutes ago

Poll: » has the majority of people (here) seen the big 3 ? ( 1 2 3 )

ame - Yesterday

133 by Oofmastre9000 »»
9 minutes ago

Poll: » Hentai is the worst anime genre ever created. ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - 12 hours ago

55 by LostSpectre »»
19 minutes ago

Poll: » From what side of the neck do you enjoy being bitten by your vampire master?

Catalano - 10 hours ago

13 by ColourWheel »»
49 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.