Forum Settings
Forums

[spoilers] what are some poor science fiction stuff in anime and why you think them as poor

New
May 31, 2019 7:03 PM

Jan 2009
im mainly talking about something to near hard science fiction stuff especially if the science fiction anime is trying to be more realistic

Psycho-pass system of a human high functioning psychopath brains acting as some sort of criminal psychologists to determine a persons latent criminality is just lol bad imo thats why even in real life science im not convince of those artificial intelligence will replace clinical psychologists in diagnosing mental illness because psychology in itself is considered soft science or worse pseudoscience by many, mental illness should have physical laboratory tests (biomarkers) and neuroscience (being a hard science) should advance more with that

Gundam piloting is another poor science fiction stuff in anime even in those far future with advance technology they still do not have mind control piloting? and they do not have mind learning/training system like seen in The Matrix to replace the entire traditional school education system

same with Legend of the Galactic Heroes i heard their navigation system and even targeting/shooting system relies heavily on human inputs and not artificial intelligence more

in Ghost in the Shell as advance as the world of it is they did not introduce nanomachines yet and that will be a game changer imo

what about you? i like to hear more of this kind of stuff on other semi-hard (or hard) science fiction anime
May 31, 2019 7:21 PM

Mar 2019
I think I speak for everyone when I say: lol at these absurd quantum mechanics explanations of paranormality in Bunny Girl Senpai.

"It is quantum mechanics that explains that you're going through groundhog day, I swear!"

It is obvious that "obscenity" is not a term capable of exact legal definition; in the practice of the courts, it means "anything that shocks the magistrate".

— Bertrand Russell
May 31, 2019 7:23 PM

Jan 2009
@Sphinxter

lol i heard about that, i think there was a thread about it too here on MAL
May 31, 2019 7:27 PM

Jun 2013
Orange lol.

If this is the best they could do I'd rather they'd left it unexplained, it's not as if it really needed an explanation anyway.
May 31, 2019 7:31 PM
Mar 2018
Kind of a fantasy series, but one of my favourites claymore, blending fantasy and science together a bit.

There are no fairies or elves, but late in the manga it's revealed that a certain race of dragon like beings exist, and there is a war being fought with one side allied with the dragon kind, now, everything else seen in the series so far - the yoma, the claymore girls themselves and the awakened beings are all derived from experiments using the dragon kind's flesh and blood - it makes them somewhat superhuman and capable of sensing others with this dragon flesh and blood.

Ok, not too farfetched so far, part fantasy part hard science, I can understand that.

What I don't understand is that the claymore can turn into massive awakened beings and the dragon kind also have an awakened form that makes them ablit twice the size they normally are - out of thin flippin' air these are full mass irreversible transformations that make conservation of mass look like a punk - the claymore are very much human in form and can end up ren times the size and weight of a tyrannosaurus.

Yes yes, mysterious organisation I get that she didn't judge her limits well and lost control, can you tell me why she's a skyscraper?
May 31, 2019 7:34 PM

Oct 2012
deg said:
Gundam piloting is another poor science fiction stuff in anime even in those far future with advance technology they still do not have mind control piloting? and they do not have mind learning/training system like seen in The Matrix to replace the entire traditional school education system

same with Legend of the Galactic Heroes i heard their navigation system and even targeting/shooting system relies heavily on human inputs and not artificial intelligence more
This is true, but it applies to the entire mecha genre. There is no way any human, genetically engineered or whatnot, can beat a well-programmed supercomputer at a single task. In real life, these machines would all be drones remotely activated; although, in real life, humanoid robots would be an extremely expensive waste of metal and not very mobile.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
May 31, 2019 7:35 PM

Mar 2019
deg said:
@Sphinxter

lol i heard about that, i think there was a thread about it too here on MAL
Wouldn't surprise me; the quantumbabble in that show makes Star Trek Voyager look like amateurs. I'm surprised they didn't solve their problems by reconfiguring the deflector array to fire a condensed antimatter tachyon pulse through the event horizon of the particle fountain.

It is obvious that "obscenity" is not a term capable of exact legal definition; in the practice of the courts, it means "anything that shocks the magistrate".

— Bertrand Russell
May 31, 2019 7:36 PM

Jul 2013
L_O_V_E_L_A_I_N said:
Orange lol.

If this is the best they could do I'd rather they'd left it unexplained, it's not as if it really needed an explanation anyway.

^ This. The explanation was so poor that I wish they'd just say "because magic lol".
May 31, 2019 7:40 PM

Jul 2017
tbf though sci-fi, in general, is pretty hard to do without having some sort of plot hole/inconsistency

But I'd have to go with the Bunny Girl Senpai mentioned above. It's so lulz how all the anomalies can be explained by a high schooler who knows quantum physics
May 31, 2019 7:42 PM

Jan 2009
katsucats said:
deg said:

This is true, but it applies to the entire mecha genre. There is no way any human, genetically engineered or whatnot, can beat a well-programmed supercomputer at a single task. In real life, these machines would all be drones remotely activated; although, in real life, humanoid robots would be an extremely expensive waste of metal and not very mobile.

yep this is true for all giant mecha genre lol (still love that genre) and ye drones being remotely controlled is far better
May 31, 2019 7:52 PM

Aug 2018
deg said:
im mainly talking about something to near hard science fiction stuff especially if the science fiction anime is trying to be more realistic

Psycho-pass system of a human high functioning psychopath brains acting as some sort of criminal psychologists to determine a persons latent criminality is just lol bad imo thats why even in real life science im not convince of those artificial intelligence will replace clinical psychologists in diagnosing mental illness because psychology in itself is considered soft science or worse pseudoscience by many, mental illness should have physical laboratory tests (biomarkers) and neuroscience (being a hard science) should advance more with that

in Ghost in the Shell as advance as the world of it is they did not introduce nanomachines yet and that will be a game changer imo

what about you? i like to hear more of this kind of stuff on other semi-hard (or hard) science fiction anime

If you have watched most of the Universal Century Time Line in the Gundam Universe, you should know that Newtypes (new evolution of the human race in space) are able to control parts of Mechas (Mobile suit gundam 1979, Zeta Gundam, ZZ Gundam, CCA) to fully control the mecha by using the brainwaves with the technology called Psychommu. By the you look of your post, It seems that you have never seen the Original Timeline
May 31, 2019 7:53 PM
Jan 2015
Sphinxter said:
I think I speak for everyone when I say: lol at these absurd quantum mechanics explanations of paranormality in Bunny Girl Senpai.

"It is quantum mechanics that explains that you're going through groundhog day, I swear!"
I heard in the books its purely supernatural phenomenon, they just use quantum mechanics to get an idea of what is happening.
-MahesvaraMay 31, 2019 8:01 PM
My Queens

May 31, 2019 7:55 PM

Jan 2009
@Zawarudo0079

yep i only saw the Char Counterattack movie, Gundam F91 movie, and Gundam Unicorn in the UC timeline

still though the Psychommu system is not the main way they control the Gundam

but i like the way the full body movements scanned and become control inputs on Mobile Fighter G Gundam but that Gundam is not a realistic or even serious science fiction show

Macross does it better with Macross Plus using brainwave interface to pilot the variable fighter and even in Macross Delta artificial intelligence as pilots are mentioned too even though in that show they say human pilots are still better
May 31, 2019 7:56 PM
Mar 2018
So basically this is another trash-on-bunny-girl-senpai thread? Let me hop in too! I know it doesnt come under science fiction but it has a lot of pseudoscience, I find it sad that its rated so high but then ratings are subjective ¯_(ツ)_/¯
May 31, 2019 9:02 PM

Mar 2019
Steiner1411 said:
So basically this is another trash-on-bunny-girl-senpai thread? Let me hop in too! I know it doesnt come under science fiction but it has a lot of pseudoscience, I find it sad that its rated so high but then ratings are subjective ¯_(ツ)_/¯
It was a great series in my opinion; the quantumbabble was just quantumbabble that made no sense.

— Bertrand Russell
Jun 1, 2019 6:03 AM

Aug 2018
deg said:
@Zawarudo0079

yep i only saw the Char Counterattack movie, Gundam F91 movie, and Gundam Unicorn in the UC timeline

but i like the way the full body movements scanned and become control inputs on Mobile Fighter G Gundam but that Gundam is not a realistic or even serious science fiction show

Macross does it better with Macross Plus using brainwave interface to pilot the variable fighter and even in Macross Delta artificial intelligence as pilots are mentioned too even though in that show they say human pilots are still better

I recommend you to watch the rest of the UC Timeline (cause it’s amazing). The gundam franchise was created in 1979, I don’t think research caught the eyes of the public at this time; they could have introduced it later but the Timeline is a real mess, some fans were upset when Gundam Narrative introduced time travel. Although you might think that it’s more practical to use brainwaves but creating that technology for mecha could be expensive, would it be as interesting to watch someone knowing how to pilot the mecha right from the start ? Does using brainwaves just kills the fun of the anime? I think the reason why most mecha anime do not use brainwaves is because this anime genre is about mechanics, engineering and the hero of the show could be less heroic because he will be doing nothing much.
Jun 1, 2019 6:07 AM

Jan 2009
Zawarudo0079 said:
deg said:
@Zawarudo0079

I recommend you to watch the rest of the UC Timeline (cause it’s amazing). The gundam franchise was created in 1979, I don’t think research caught the eyes of the public at this time; they could have introduced it later but the Timeline is a real mess, some fans were upset when Gundam Narrative introduced time travel. Although you might think that it’s more practical to use brainwaves but creating that technology for mecha could be expensive, would it be as interesting to watch someone knowing how to pilot the mecha right from the start ? Does using brainwaves just kills the fun of the anime? I think the reason why most mecha anime do not use brainwaves is because this anime genre is about mechanics, engineering and the hero of the show could be less heroic because he will be doing nothing much.

its not like mind piloting will remove the struggles like even stressed facial expressions of the characters, Macross Plus is an example of this
Jun 1, 2019 7:28 AM

Nov 2011
About Gundam, conversely I am actually quite uncomfortable whey they introduced psychommu system.. Because I don't think their world is that far advanced compare to us in neurology.. I think neurology is far more complex than mechanical engineering.. Oh yes, their AI technology is really lacked too ...

I agree with LotGH though, their world building and SF are quite half assed done.. I love the narration, but it's weird when they had invented warp machine but their other technologies is even below us now.. They are supposed living in 3500 or something ...
Jim_HeartJun 1, 2019 7:32 AM
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Jun 1, 2019 8:07 AM

Aug 2018
@deg

I need to watch Macross Plus then
Jun 1, 2019 8:17 AM
May 2018
I can't quite provide evidence for this, but I always felt that when it comes to sci-fi in anime, it is more like fantasy based on futuristic setting, and high tech, than actually on what kind of science could be, like in future, that makes sense.

Like they can make good ideas, and concepts, but don't bother with execution.
Jun 1, 2019 8:24 AM

Jan 2013
High-tech gadgets that aren't explained, or are explained poorly.
Like those scanners from Star Trek (not a fan of the series, but I know how stupid those are).
Jun 1, 2019 8:24 AM

Aug 2018
Jim_Heart said:
About Gundam, conversely I am actually quite uncomfortable whey they introduced psychommu system.. Because I don't think their world is that far advanced compare to us in neurology.. I think neurology is far more complex than mechanical engineering.. Oh yes, their AI technology is really lacked too ...

I agree with LotGH though, their world building and SF are quite half assed done.. I love the narration, but it's weird when they had invented warp machine but their other technologies is even below us now.. They are supposed living in 3500 or something ...

The problem with the UC timeline is that we don't know when it started and how far or close it is to our century, if we really think about it closely, the UC Timeline heavily relays on human for anything in the universe. The setting, the technology of a universe depends on what kind of story you want to tell, on the message you want to pass, on what kind of questions you want to express trough art. In the UC Timeline the main question is "how to understand each other and going beyond sellfish interests as human beings ?". Gundam is about humanity, so having humans in the center of everything serves the whole plot.
Jun 1, 2019 8:34 AM

Feb 2010
Literally everything in Psycho-Pass.
I probably regret this post by now.
Jun 1, 2019 11:21 AM

Nov 2011
Zawarudo0079 said:
Jim_Heart said:

The problem with the UC timeline is that we don't know when it started and how far or close it is to our century, if we really think about it closely, the UC Timeline heavily relays on human for anything in the universe. The setting, the technology of a universe depends on what kind of story you want to tell, on the message you want to pass, on what kind of questions you want to express trough art. In the UC Timeline the main question is "how to understand each other and going beyond sellfish interests as human beings ?". Gundam is about humanity, so having humans in the center of everything serves the whole plot.

There is no exact year mentioned, but 1 UC is about 2100 AD I think, that makes Unicorn happens in 2200.. It seems not really far, but in in 100 years from 1900 to now we have a massive development in technology (airplanes, rockets, nuclear energy, computer, etc) ...
But I say that they are not really advanced is because before Zeon developed mobile suits they are still using conventional warfare, even Federation still fight like in WW2 using tanks in One Year War ...
Jim_HeartJun 1, 2019 11:27 AM
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Jun 1, 2019 11:31 AM

Feb 2017
deg said:

My memory is hazy, but I am 100% sure nanomachines exist in Ghost in the Shell. They were big part of some episodes.
Jun 1, 2019 11:44 AM

Feb 2018
People talking about psycho pass, bunny girl but no one's talking about steins gate when the whole plot is kinda stupid if you'd look it from science pov. It tries to be complex when it isn't
Jun 1, 2019 12:23 PM

Jan 2009
@Tsarko

i forgot about that then or its from a GITS that i did not watch yet

ThatShiny_Hex said:
People talking about psycho pass, bunny girl but no one's talking about steins gate when the whole plot is kinda stupid if you'd look it from science pov. It tries to be complex when it isn't

if you mean the time travel stuff its kinda makes sense though especially that Avengers Endgame kinda did the same thing with infinite number of timelines the only problem i have with that with Steins;Gate is that infinite timelines does not mean infinite number of you but just infinite physical clones of you with usually different history and circumstances
Jun 1, 2019 1:43 PM

Aug 2018
@Jim_Heart

I don't recall the Gundam franchise having a clear and exact link to Anno Domini (our calendar) except for Gundam 00. The use of conventional weapons is not necessarily illogical, between the 1950 and Today, only the use of drones and fire power changed on the outside look (shape of the weapon, damage, etc). We can imagine that the firepower of the Federation is more powerful than ever but looks the same for our eye.
Jun 1, 2019 1:55 PM

Jul 2016
I don't have a specific example to go off, but I hate how other planets are usually portrayed in sci-fi. Earth is gigantic, right? There's hundreds of different countries, cultures, races, religions, languages, ecosystems etc, but in a lot of space-faring shows, when they go to another planet, that entire thing is usually one civilisation, one location, one language. This planet is a forest, this one is a desert and so on and so on, when it could be so much cooler, for just a little bit more work.

Oh, and one more thing. This season's Carole and Tuesday is gorgeous, but I highly doubt Instagram is still gonna be a thing by the time we're living on Mars.
Jun 1, 2019 2:37 PM

Jan 2016
The thing with most of the examples you listed is that they are unrealistic if you think about it, but sci-fi, like fantasy, is a setting with whatever you want in it. The only difference is technology is used instead of magic for the unexplainable, and unless it's trying to explicitly say "this could be our future" the actual science mechanics are largely irrelevant. What makes sci-fi bad is when it tries to use known science to make something more "believable" without it really mattering or even necessarily being correct. As much as I enjoyed Bunny Girl Senpai, the quantum physics there was pretty dumb all things considered. Similarly, Dimension W's core premise needing to justify the energy as a 4th dimensional thing was dumb and added nothing to the story and would've been perfectly fine just being a vague "extra energy" thing. On the flip side, Redline is kinda bogus with a "why would there be any g-forces in a world that has interplanetary travel", but it doesn't matter to the story, so you don't think about it unless you're really digging into the science.
You have shit taste, and then I have taste so shit it makes your taste look good
Jun 1, 2019 2:42 PM

Jan 2009
@MaskOfIce

there is a reason i mentioned the word hard science fiction though (or just near hard science stuff) especially in anime that tries to be more realistic

Redline for example is not really that type of a science fiction show like Psycho-pass, Gundam, LOTGH
Jun 1, 2019 2:58 PM

Sep 2015
Everything in Plastic Memories. They create robots that are more like artificial humans (it's unclear how organic their body is) with an expiration date an when they reach it they turn into raging murderous super-powered zombies a lot like in Kabaneri of the Iron Fortres, they function in society like normal humans, but they have an owner who often consider them family and they can't be retrived when their expitation time comes without their owner's consent. The whole series is infuriatingly stupid.
Jun 1, 2019 9:06 PM

Feb 2018
deg said:
@Tsarko

i forgot about that then or its from a GITS that i did not watch yet

ThatShiny_Hex said:

if you mean the time travel stuff its kinda makes sense though especially that Avengers Endgame kinda did the same thing with infinite number of timelines the only problem i have with that with Steins;Gate is that infinite timelines does not mean infinite number of you but just infinite physical clones of you with usually different history and circumstances

I was talking about reading steiner ability, memories from other timelines, and whole microwave-mobile setup didn't make any sense. It was the same with endgame; absurd out of logic science ex machina which made it more childish then it was already. Although it's been a while since I watched S;g so I might be wrong.
Jun 1, 2019 10:06 PM

Jun 2017
Guilty crown.

Drawing weapons from souls? It would have been fine if it was depicted as supernatural. But it is fully researched in their world to make it a science fiction.

SAO ordinal scale.

How do the characters get blown away from impacts when it is augmented reality.

Toaru majutsu no index

There are not any inconsistencies, but they don't explain any science based powers at all. It just feels like an excuse to give characters superpowers.

The girl who leapt through time

I remember it had several plot holes in the end.
Jun 1, 2019 10:45 PM

Nov 2011
Zawarudo0079 said:
@Jim_Heart

I don't recall the Gundam franchise having a clear and exact link to Anno Domini (our calendar) except for Gundam 00. The use of conventional weapons is not necessarily illogical, between the 1950 and Today, only the use of drones and fire power changed on the outside look (shape of the weapon, damage, etc). We can imagine that the firepower of the Federation is more powerful than ever but looks the same for our eye.

Gundam Unicorn gives some background story of early space colonization and the founding of Earth Federation.. They mentioned that first colonies was built in 2045 ...

Yes firepower is one thing, but that is not really a big development and invention (I mean nuclear bomb is still their most terrifrying weapon).. Except for Minkowski particle and mobile suits there is no massive breakthrough in their sciences before Newtype and psychommu break it...
Jim_HeartJun 1, 2019 10:53 PM
Jun 1, 2019 11:36 PM

Oct 2013
Sphinxter said:

Yea,I wasn't buying into any of that,took away from my enjoyment of the show.
Jun 2, 2019 10:47 AM

Aug 2018
Jim_Heart said:
Zawarudo0079 said:
@Jim_Heart

Gundam Unicorn gives some background story of early space colonization and the founding of Earth Federation.. They mentioned that first colonies was built in 2045 ...

Yes firepower is one thing, but that is not really a big development and invention (I mean nuclear bomb is still their most terrifrying weapon).. Except for Minkowski particle and mobile suits there is no massive breakthrough in their sciences before Newtype and psychommu break it...

Space Colonies are the first breakthrough in the timeline. In Crossbone Gundam (the manga), the leader of the Jupiter empire says that they create all of their ressources in their colonies.
I don't see any problem in not having breakthrough in the early days of franchise (Before UC 100). Even now, in our world, how many breakthrough inventions are they, since the Manhattan Project?
Jun 2, 2019 2:58 PM

Nov 2011
Zawarudo0079 said:

Space Colonies are the first breakthrough in the timeline. In Crossbone Gundam (the manga), the leader of the Jupiter empire says that they create all of their ressources in their colonies.
I don't see any problem in not having breakthrough in the early days of franchise (Before UC 100). Even now, in our world, how many breakthrough inventions are they, since the Manhattan Project?

Oh you are right, I forgot their most important inovation..

I believe our ongoing developments in computer related thing and obviously internet is a greater development than a nuclear bomb.. But if you mentioned fundamental physics itself, maybe hard to argue that our last 50 years is relatively stagnannt compared to first 60 years or so of 20th century ...
Jim_HeartJun 2, 2019 3:21 PM
Jun 2, 2019 3:16 PM

Dec 2012
I don't feel the need to pick things apart. For instance sound can not be transmitted in a vacuum and space would be silent so all these anime pew pew weapons, explosion, and engine noises are all scientifically inaccurate unless they are heard from within the vessel or station making them where this atmosphere, but who cares, fiction isn't real and doesn't have to be constrained by science for me to enjoy it.

deg said:

Pretty sure nanotechnology exists, at least in Stand Alone Complex anyway.
KruszerJun 2, 2019 3:32 PM
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Jun 2, 2019 3:45 PM

Jan 2009
@Kruszer

true its fiction but hard science fiction exist though and that is trying to be more realistic (not totally realistic)

as for GITS i have to google that its been decades since i have seen Stand Alone Complex
Jun 2, 2019 4:10 PM

Dec 2012
deg said:
@Kruszer

true its fiction but hard science fiction exist though and that is trying to be more realistic (not totally realistic)

as for GITS i have to google that its been decades since i have seen Stand Alone Complex

They call them "micromachines" though. I remember because I LOLed as I imagined them playing with those tiny vehicle model toys of the same name.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Jun 2, 2019 4:17 PM

Mar 2012
Tsarko said:
deg said:

My memory is hazy, but I am 100% sure nanomachines exist in Ghost in the Shell. They were big part of some episodes.

I am pretty sure you are correct. I remember a few episodes of SAC revolving around nanomachines (although I can’t remember which episodes and how they came into play within those episodes), but I recall there being dialogue about nanomachines in a few episodes.
Jun 2, 2019 5:40 PM

Sep 2017
Looks like a 12 yo nerd instead of someone who at least has a bachelor degree in science has made this post.
Jun 2, 2019 9:10 PM

Jan 2009
CHC said:
Looks like a 12 yo nerd instead of someone who at least has a bachelor degree in science has made this post.

well thanks for the insult anyway and ye im a kid at heart

More topics from this board

Poll: » Do you tend to watch newer seasonal shows, or older shows?

Akuya - 6 hours ago

25 by Blackfire2340 »»
4 minutes ago

» I made a fake anime seasonal chart using AI. Which of these sounds interesting to you? ( 1 2 )

FFandMMfan - Apr 13

93 by Ratris_Decision »»
12 minutes ago

» Do you find how the anime community finds something to be edgy annoying?

vasipi4946 - 6 hours ago

12 by Ratris_Decision »»
17 minutes ago

Sticky: » AWC 2024 Anime Watching Challenge - Sign-Up (Open Until December 10th) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

AWC_mod - Jan 1

972 by Animekiralover »»
21 minutes ago

» Why were children’s anime dubs so unappreciated?

funtime43_tr - Yesterday

25 by QPR »»
48 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.