Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 31, 2019 11:40 AM
Jul 2018
So unimpressive and by-the-numbers for everything yet nothing you actively hate. Just bleh. The pinnacle of 5/10.
May 31, 2019 12:11 PM

Oct 2010
I just went and searched my "perfect" 50/100 ratings on Criticker and out of them all I think I'm giving the award to Emir Kusturica's Buffet Titanic, one of his first TV-movies. For a director I have liked so much in later works, it's amazing how utterly irrelevant this film is to absolutely everything. It just exists and that's enough for it I guess. The cinematography, the story, the dialogues, just about everything in it is almost perfectly mediocre, no more no less. And incredibly forgettable of course.
May 31, 2019 12:52 PM

Oct 2017
Well searching my memory...

If there is a very acclaimed movie that everyone seemed to like but I apparently don't the title isTitanic.
I mean it's average af IMHO , it has some cinematographic good side and some good acting but the love history is definitely a big off to me, so is the ''action'' scenes, save for the sinking of the Titanic, the rest is filled with clichés such as ''Oh no they are about to drown for the 5th time''
It's one of those 5/10 for me there are many others but this one is the most acclaimed movie of all time for some, but I simply still can't get why.
''Enemies' gifts are no gifts and do no good.''
May 31, 2019 1:01 PM

May 2018
Eh, the range of "average" is so big that it's downright impossible for people with houndreds and thousands of finished movies to go with one. I have about 130 5/10's in there myself. So for the record, here are "some" picks:

Resident Evil: Apokalypse (2004)
Wrongfully Accused (1998)
Dracula: Dead and Loving It (1995)
Silent Hill: Revelation (2012)
Resident Evil: Afterlife (2010)
The Mask (1994)
James Bond 007 - For Your Eyes Only (1981)
The Counselor (2013)
Mother (2013)
Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa (2013)
Futurama: Bender's Big Score (2007)
James Bond 007 - Die Another Day (2002)
Star Wars: Episode II (2002)
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Adventureland (2009)
Wall Street 2 (2010)
The 6th Day (2000)
Dead Snow (2009)
The Sorcerer's Apprentice (2010)
Red Dawn (2012)
Die Hard - A Good Day to Die Hard (2013)
Jackass 3D (2010)
Moonwalker (1988)
Transformers 3: The Dark of the Moon (2011)
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (2003)
Gremlins II (1990)
Team America (2004)
Sucker Punch (2011)
Matrix Revolutions (2003)
Jackass Number Two (2006)
Beneath the Planet of the Apes (1970)
Thank You for Smoking (2005)
Alien vs. Predator (2004)
A Nightmare on Elm Street 4 (1988)
King Kong (1933)
Movie 43 (2013)
300 (2006)
Resident Evil: Degeneration (2008)
Gamer (2009)
The Tourist (2010)
House of Wax (2005)
28 Days Later (2002)
Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer (2007)
Transformers 2 (2009)
Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightning Thief (2010)
Hellboy (2004)
My Bloody Valentine (2009)
May 31, 2019 1:47 PM

Nov 2016
I'm sorry, but that'd probably be Kill Bill for me.
I am not a fan of action at all, so that might be it. The fight scenes (which basically take part of most of the movie, also implied by the name, I guess) are very tedious and frustrating to watch - especially if someone's bleeding.
A lot of action movies are the same, or at least they feel the same.
All that said, I liked Gogo.
May 31, 2019 1:51 PM

Jan 2013
Kimi no na wa.
Never ever have I ever seen a movie that was that kind of eye candy, and at the same time devoid of any meaning, message, or interesting qualities whatsoever. It's like an animation showcase to me, nothing else.
May 31, 2019 5:06 PM

Jan 2009
CondemneDio said:
Kimi no na wa.
Never ever have I ever seen a movie that was that kind of eye candy, and at the same time devoid of any meaning, message, or interesting qualities whatsoever. It's like an animation showcase to me, nothing else.

lol i dropped that Your Name movie after 10-15 minutes since its very boring for me, but i will try to see the ending scene/part sooner or later just to know whats so impressive about it

and i heard a live action Hollywood version is coming too
Jun 1, 2019 12:05 AM

Jan 2013
deg said:
CondemneDio said:
Kimi no na wa.

lol i dropped that Your Name movie after 10-15 minutes since its very boring for me, but i will try to see the ending scene/part sooner or later just to know whats so impressive about it

It's weird how they still attempt to make live-action adaptations of anime.
I guess they make enough money to be worth it?
Jun 1, 2019 12:08 AM

Jul 2016
Garden of Words

Sword of the Stranger

Have not seen much American movies
Jun 1, 2019 5:35 AM

Jan 2009
CondemneDio said:
deg said:

It's weird how they still attempt to make live-action adaptations of anime.
I guess they make enough money to be worth it?

yep Your Name is like one of the highest grossing anime film of all time so Hollywood wants to profit from that too
Jun 1, 2019 8:29 AM

Jul 2014
Brett Ratner's Red Dragon probably. I gave up on it halfway out of boredom because of how milquetoast and bland it felt on a formal level. Everything was done competently, but that's all I can really say about every aspect of its production. Not to mention the novel it was based on has an exponentially better adaptation which came out almost twenty years prior.
Take care of yourself

Jun 1, 2019 9:51 AM

Aug 2018
Anything directed by James Cameron. Even if he's just a producer, his stamp of approval = a poorly-written, poorly paced film. But hey, a movie having some "pretty" scenes here and there might be enough to satisfy whatever kind audience he has.

Speak your truth, because not enough people hear you. I'm just blown away by how so many movie-goers just go gaga over these MCU movies when they're just so exceedingly average. I knew I was done with the MCU when I watched Homecoming and walked away hating it. I never felt that way about anything Spider-Man related, especially considering the fact that he's my favorite superhero of all time. There was just absolutely nothing that I liked about that film.

From what I've seen so far, every Hollywood adaption for anime has been both a critical and financial flop. Despite that, they're not gonna stop making these movies because Hollywood has been running out of ideas for years now, and there is a plethora of entertainment to adapt from anime. Someone at some point is find the successful formula to adapting anime into a live-action format (I think Gundam will be the first successful one), and when that person finds it, live-action anime will be something you see on a yearly basis, maybe even seasonal. I think these adaptations would get way less hate if they turned them into tv series and not movies, but I guess that would make too much sense.
Jun 1, 2019 10:17 AM
Jul 2018
I've only watched Avatar from James Cameron and yeah that was average as fuck.

Most of the marvel movies hover around average. Vast majority are 4/10, 5/10, or 6/10 for me. So I'd agree with you.

@RogertheShrubber
Jun 1, 2019 3:09 PM

Feb 2019
Everything on Netflix. Mediocrity is the house style, but if I had to pick just one it would be Bird Box.
Netflix comedy is just a bunch of college students jumping and screaming so the audience knows they're having fun while they preach at everyone around them
Netflix horror is just a vehicle for the director's grievances/fetishes
Netflix dramas are unintentional parodies

I got HBO a few months ago and the contrast between Netflix's mindless originals and the classic shows HBO churns out is staggering. Deadwood, Boardwalk Empire, The Wire, True Detective, Sopranos, the list goes on and every show on the list survived for many seasons because they deserved to. Everything netflix releases lasts a couple of seasons then gets forgotten.
Jun 2, 2019 4:58 AM
Jul 2018
I don't why anyone would bother asking this. Maybe just to get notifications full?
Jun 2, 2019 7:59 AM

Oct 2010
FrankyP said:
Anything directed by James Cameron. Even if he's just a producer, his stamp of approval = a poorly-written, poorly paced film. But hey, a movie having some "pretty" scenes here and there might be enough to satisfy whatever kind audience he has.

First two Terminator movies though. Actually I need to watch more of his pre-Titanic stuff when he was primarily a genre film director. Because from what I've seen, he's good at it, and he knows particularly well how to use and apply visual effects. Heck, there is a reason why Titanic is at its absolute best when it's about heavy action and special effects (AKA the entire sinking sequence). Too bad the romance is embarrassing and the entire buildup to that pivotal moment in the story is meh.
Jun 2, 2019 1:21 PM

Aug 2018
jal90 said:
FrankyP said:

First two Terminator movies though. Actually I need to watch more of his pre-Titanic stuff when he was primarily a genre film director. Because from what I've seen, he's good at it, and he knows particularly well how to use and apply visual effects. Heck, there is a reason why Titanic is at its absolute best when it's about heavy action and special effects (AKA the entire sinking sequence). Too bad the romance is embarrassing and the entire buildup to that pivotal moment in the story is meh.

Your comment just proves the point I was making. Outside of "pretty" scenes here and there, his movies are trite. When I think of James Cameron, I think: strong production value, weak narrative. There are people who are fine with that and can still enjoy a movie, but that doesn't mean the movie is good.

I can see why someone would enjoy Cameron's movies and be entertained by the visual effects he uses to create these larger than life moments on the big screen, but I can never see how anyone can consider his movies anything more than mediocre. I love Sharknado, but I wouldn't call it a good movie, it just has good moments in it that make me appreciate it enough as a film.
Jun 2, 2019 5:51 PM

Oct 2010
FrankyP said:
jal90 said:

Your comment just proves the point I was making. Outside of "pretty" scenes here and there, his movies are trite. When I think of James Cameron, I think: strong production value, weak narrative. There are people who are fine with that and can still enjoy a movie, but that doesn't mean the movie is good.

I can see why someone would enjoy Cameron's movies and be entertained by the visual effects he uses to create these larger than life moments on the big screen, but I can never see how anyone can consider his movies anything more than mediocre. I love Sharknado, but I wouldn't call it a good movie, it just has good moments in it that make me appreciate it enough as a film.

That's not really what I'm saying. I'm saying that Cameron is more fit for genre films, that require a different set of qualities, for instance action or horror absolutely need experience and profficiency with visual presentation and camerawork (which Cameron has in spades), and "larger than life" narratives more fit for Oscar baiting need other kinds of qualities, like complex character writing. I don't think I'm proving your point because I don't think we are speaking under the same premise.

By the way, no need to call Sharknado a good movie, it's not supposed to be and it is purposely directed, written and acted like self-aware trash. I don't know how this comparison ever applies to Cameron.
Jun 3, 2019 1:03 AM

Aug 2018

I gotcha now, sorry for the mixup.

More topics from this board

» Mal spotify collaborative playlist ( 1 2 )

tsukareru - Jan 6

60 by tsukareru »»
3 hours ago

» Currently listening to ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsukareru - Mar 29, 2021

7571 by tsukareru »»
9 hours ago

Poll: » Avatar: The Way of Water or Dune: Part Two

AcbSnakeDemon - Apr 20

6 by alex889 »»
Today, 1:16 AM

» What Are Your Thoughts On The Owl House?

Enderobot - Apr 18

6 by Enderobot »»
Yesterday, 9:05 AM

» What's your favorite song?

DollzchanAi - Apr 18

10 by not-perfect »»
Yesterday, 2:06 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.