Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sailor Moon Eternal Edition
Available on Manga Store
New
Should scores for this series be changed to reflect the change in visual quality of the blu-ray release?
May 30, 2019 12:10 PM

Mar 2017
So, as everyone probably already knows by now, the blu ray release of Sailor Moon Crystal redrew much of the series and made everything stop looking like crap. If you're behind the curve, you can see some quick comparisons here: https://kotaku.com/the-new-sailor-moon-anime-has-changed-1670373950

Many of the complaints leveled at the series when it first aired were concerned with the animation quality. Currently, the 2nd and 3rd reviews from the top of the series' page give low scores while citing the art and animation quality. Given that the visuals of the series have been such a major point by which it was evaluated, and given that these visuals have changed and are just about universally agreed to be much, much better, I have a question for anyone with even a passing interest in the series.

Now that the visuals have been improved, should scores be changed to reflect this? I feel like the mediocre average score this series has would rise if the people who initially hated the visuals watched the new release and gave scores based on that series instead. At the same time, the fact that the visuals needed to be changed shows how badly the ball was dropped, and I'm not entirely sure I can blame people who hold fast to their initial impressions. Maybe the blu-ray release deserves its own page on MAL, and be treated as a separate anime from the original release?

I'm honestly unsure what to do with this, because of how peculiar the situation is. Remastered releases are certainly not unheard of, but the difference here is vast. It's like someone accidentally published a rough draft of a novel before publishing the finished product. Thoughts on this?
InkSpiderMay 30, 2019 6:54 PM
"Bang." -Spike Spiegal

"Everything... is connected." -Lain Iwakura

"Life is too short to watch bad anime. Long Live the 1st Episode Drop." -InkSpider

"Anime fans make me embarrassed to be an anime fan." -InkSpider
Jun 13, 2019 7:08 AM
Mar 2016
The blu ray version looks perfect. It really doesn't deserve such a low rating, but they did such a bad and disrespecful job the first time...
Aug 21, 2019 6:21 PM
Apr 2018
No, separate pages for different releases sounds like a controversial decision: if MAL decided to do that, people would probably start asking for separate pages for dubs, since there are cases where the dub vastly differs from the source (an example would be 90's Sailor Moon English version).

That was about pages for different releases. Now, I haven't seen the bd bar the comparisons, but I doubt they fix most other problems for which Crystal has been criticized: too fast pacing, which rushes every event; the rest of the senshi being uninteresting; same with the rest of the characters; the transformations sequences; to a lesser extent (according to what I have read online) the music...
May 30, 2020 10:14 AM
Jan 2018
The Blu-ray should be the final real version, the version that airs is just for TV
Oct 27, 2020 9:46 AM
May 2019
Yes.. this is my first time watching and it's on blu ray.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon: Crystal Episode 21 Discussion

Stark700 - May 2, 2015

41 by Eziprez »»
Feb 24, 7:25 PM

» Am I the only one who finds Sailor Moon more "traditionally girly" than Tokyo Mew Mew?

removed-user - Jan 18

1 by a0t3a »»
Jan 19, 2:38 AM

Poll: » Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon: Crystal Episode 25 Discussion

Stark700 - Jul 4, 2015

40 by Joca_skljoca024 »»
Jan 2, 1:18 PM

Poll: » Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon: Crystal Episode 23 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 6, 2015

37 by Joca_skljoca024 »»
Jan 1, 2:15 PM

Poll: » Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon: Crystal Episode 24 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 20, 2015

32 by Joca_skljoca024 »»
Jan 1, 2:09 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.