Forum Settings
Forums
May 30, 1:07 AM

So, I started to REALLY get into anime around 2007-ish and I was binge watching show after show...I remember going days watching for 16 hours or so...there was so much I had to see.

To say the least, the majority of the anime I watched were highly rated, Hell I gave Haruhi a 10 (for example) and thought it was an absolute masterpiece!

I liked it so much I even wanted to buy the DVD box sets...thank god I didn’t since they were insanely expensive back then.

Anyways, It wasn’t until many years later that I started to re-watch several of those anime I first saw....suddenly Haruhi didn’t seem like a masterpiece, but just another dumb, overly cliche, nonsensical, repetitive, not clever at all anime with a really horrible main heroine!

Similar events occurred with other anime I once thought were brilliant.

Suffice to say, I’ve become very cynical...

May 30, 1:09 AM

--ALEX-- said:
So, I started to REALLY get into anime around 2007-ish and I was binge watching show after show...I remember going days watching for 16 hours or so...there was so much I had to see.

To say the least, the majority of the anime I watched were highly rated, Hell I gave Haruhi a 10 (for example) and thought it was an absolute masterpiece!

It wasn’t until many years later that I started to re-watch several of those anime I first saw....suddenly Haruhi didn’t seem like a masterpiece, but just another dumb, overly cliche, nonsensical, repetitive, not clever at all anime with a really horrible main heroine!

Possibly it's less to do with anime and more to do with just age and the passage of time, man.

Your tastes naturally develop and mature as you get older (that doesn't mean to say improve, btw :P) so maybe it's less cynicism and more just seeing things with older eyes.
Like I told my last wife, I said "Honey, I never drive faster than I can see. Besides that, it's all in the reflexes." - Jack Burton

May 30, 1:23 AM
if you experience the same thing repetitively (like watching the same clones of moe and battle shonen) you might get bored of it thats just the way it is

we usually want something new and worse novelty seeking

thats why there is no formula for anime success since a formula means it will be repetitive anyway and that is against our desire for something new

but i still enjoy battle shonen anime a lot for example so different people different reaction

May 30, 1:28 AM

--ALEX-- said:

I liked it so much I even wanted to buy the DVD box sets...thank god I didn’t since they were insanely expensive back then.

Anyways, It wasn’t until many years later that I started to re-watch several of those anime I first saw....suddenly Haruhi didn’t seem like a masterpiece, but just another dumb, overly cliche, nonsensical, repetitive, not clever at all anime with a really horrible main heroine!

But... you still love to love ru... if you're really cynical, you'll find that to love ru to be much trashier than Haruhi or anything like that...

But well, opinions are subjective, so you do you m8!

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

May 30, 1:56 AM
I love stuff...

To be honest, I never really enjoyed Haruhi franchise; the only nice thing that came out of it are many hentai fanarts.

May 30, 2:01 AM

The older I get, the more cynical I get.

But knowing more and having seen more than on your first watch, you're more likely to be more critical, that's normal.

May 30, 2:35 AM

Dave_Adrian said:
--ALEX-- said:

But... you still love to love ru... if you're really cynical, you'll find that to love ru to be much trashier than Haruhi or anything like that...

lol ikr.
I was about to recommend OP to watch some non-Otaku shows that has different themes and styles, but then I see he's still a fan of To Love ru after having been watching anime for 12 years...
I don't really see what being cynical means here..

May 30, 2:41 AM

Back then western fandom began to slowly divide into fans of various genres and there were many trend setting series.
Now it is easier to discern those trends and see whether a series is suited to your tastes.
Eg I'd never watch today a series ike Free and Haikyu but back then I would have done so

May 30, 2:41 AM

Does it really matter if haruhi has the same boring cliches? Because you saw that first and you liked it. True Tears and Nagi no Asukara have the same cliches as lots of romance anime but I still enjoy them a lot.
"Even if there's a wide world and stories
beyond the main focus, I don't think
it's necessary to end with the protagonist having
been involved in everything." - Yagi Norihiro

May 30, 2:50 AM

Is like a joke you heard the first time and it was funny, doesn't mean it will still be funny years move on. That is all depend on your taste and preference, relate to personality developement traits, nothing to do with just anime, it can be just about on everything.

May 30, 2:59 AM
--ALEX-- said:

you have death note in your favorites after so many years and talking about cliche and getting cynical

May 30, 2:59 AM

Yeah when I first watched anime I wasn't familiar with it so everything was new and exciting and fun and great. Though I don't think I've become cynical about it. I still enjoy most of what I watch.

May 30, 3:45 AM

Imagine shitposting about Haruhi in 2019.

It's called being hung up on things no one has cared about for a decade. Fact is, you do something for so long, it becomes with baggage that wasn't there at the beginning. Doesn't even matter if it's Haruhi, or something "good" like LoGH, it's the weight of time itself that makes people tired and long for the simpler days of binging Naruto.

May 30, 4:19 AM
Aldnox said:
Yeah when I first watched anime I wasn't familiar with it so everything was new and exciting and fun and great. Though I don't think I've become cynical about it. I still enjoy most of what I watch.

You get the point. For the first time I watch anime, my favorite genres are romance, harem, ecchi, etc. And now I know that is just a trash with a little bit of an extra fanservice. I can't even enjoy something that related with harem and romance anymore, since I wasted my time too much just focusing on watching that specific genre (I will still watch whatever anime as long as there is a romance in it). Not saying that romance is a bad thing, but I feel it is just too much for me.

I'm starting to get bored with shonen too, since now shonen is a thing again because of BNHA. I really enjoyed the first 2 seasons of it, but now I'm just getting bored more and more, and I even tried to read the manga but immediately drop it after a few chapter.

May 30, 5:49 AM

Yeah your tastes are just changing and you're experiencing more of the same type of story structure. For example my favorite show is Toradora!, and I love that show, but in a few years I might not see it the same way. Sometimes it's better to just leave memories in the past, but if you do go back to them just remember you might not enjoy it as much as you have.

May 30, 5:58 AM

"The more anime you watch the more cynical you get?"

The OP is getting older and more experienced.
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

May 30, 6:03 AM

You're not cynical, you've just seen too many anime that are similar to eachother. This just happens especially with the amount you have seen.

May 30, 6:07 AM

Just as others said it's just growing both as a person and as an anime consumer.
In my first days I thought Death Note was a brilliant masterpiece and ZnT was an extremely funny comedy anime with top romance; but that's because they were my first ones.

Now I see how wrong and naive I was, but that's after countless repetitive tropes abused for ZnT and genuinely intelligent animes for Death Note.

May 30, 6:07 AM

Seems like that happens. Whether or not there's correlation between the two is another thing.

May 30, 6:14 AM
HorizonFox said:
Is like a joke you heard the first time and it was funny, doesn't mean it will still be funny years move on.

ye although jokes/memes become popular again later with the right time especially for newer generation of fans

May 30, 6:41 AM
That's what seems to happen to most people, but personally I still love anime and try to keep it the one part of my life I'm not overly cynical about.

Listen, everybody wants change, don't nobody want to change though
don't nobody want to pray, till they got something to pray for
now everybody's gonna die, but don't everybody live though

May 30, 6:46 AM
Imagine if you were still watching shows like power rangers and teenage mutant ninja turtles (or whatever you watched when you were 5 years old). You loved these shows as a kid, but if you rewatched them when you're 15, you'd also be identifying a ton of flaws and feel cynical toward their shortcomings. It's because you've outgrown them. Most anime target adolescent readers/viewers in the same way power rangers targets 5 year olds. It's natural to outgrow both of these.

You eventually see through the structure of the plot, recognizing cliches that would have seemed original to you in the beginning, or understanding certain events as hamfisted plot devices that would have seemed totally plausible to you back then. The angsty characters and their adolescent struggles carry less weight for you now that you understand how normal these things are. It becomes harder to relate with the characters and the plot. You grow out of all this with age and especially experience.

You just have to find higher quality anime that isn't relying on pandering tropes to pull in a target demographic, the genuinely well-written shows that are timeless no matter your age.
Modified by Ilike69, May 30, 6:49 AM

May 30, 7:09 AM

People change their minds after years
isn't that normal? smh

and I totally agree with you, Haruhi is definitely repetitive yeah
how does someone can re-watch that rofl

"というわけで。待望の、体 操 服! でっあ~る。祭りであれば、余も着飾ってはいられぬと用意したが……うむ! 心身ともに軽くなったようだ。どうだ? 似合っているであろう、マスター?" - Random Quote From Internet by Saber Nero

May 30, 7:54 AM

youve grown older, nothing wrong with that.

everythin is new and fresh when you are younger. Your brain is actually more disposed to feeling feelings more intensely too.

but now you have age, and experience and a new way to engage in the things you like. You can no think of them and compare them to waht you like as well as break them apart to see what makes them work and what doesnt and blah blah blah. evolve.
https://combosmooth.itch.io/ - I make free-to-play browser games for PC and I sell pixel art animation here

May 30, 9:12 AM

And this is why I'm increasingly convinced that it's a bad idea to watch too much stuff too quickly.

You end up clogging your consciousness with stuff, then becoming cynical and blaming the shows being "repetitive" for the result. And now you can't enjoy that same thing that you once found so inspiring.

May 30, 9:17 AM

Weirdly enough I would think Haruhi Suzumiya would be a good series to watch if you are cynical about anime.
There's a reason Haruhi uses a lot of cliches, and that's because it is parodying those cliches.

May 30, 9:22 AM

I watched Haruhi several years "out of date", and certainly when the hype for it had died down.

I enjoyed it.

I wouldn't call it some sort of crazy groundbreaking series, but it's still good comedy. And I'm saying this as someone who usually doesn't much like comedy.

May 30, 9:35 AM

Isn't it normal to get jaded the more you get exposed to an entertainment medium?
I actually kinda quitted watching films altogether because of this reason while I still love anime as a medium I kinda find myself not really enjoying it like I did when I first dipped into this medium.

May 30, 10:30 AM

Dave_Adrian said:

Actually, I HATED the original TLR...I watched it as it aired in 2008...and even then I thought it was pure trash.

TLR actually had the opposite effect on me...by the time Motto TLR came out, I had soften my stance on ecchi anime...and when TLR Darkness hit, it was a whole new ballgame.

For one thing TLR Darkness is exactly what you would want out of an ecchi anime, while not completely turning off your brain to the nonsense...see, when I watch TLR it’s not for any plot or characters story arcs or whatever...it’s because I want to be enticed...and TLR Darkness is still to this day the BEST at that.

Ricochet2000 said:
you have death note in your favorites after so many years and talking about cliche and getting cynical

Death Note is still an unbelievably captivating anime, especially the first part...it has stood the test of time...anyone can watch it nowadays and it is still a GREAT if not masterful anime....it’s not dated, it’s not cliche, it is one of the all time greats.

I didn’t say it happened with EVERY old anime...because clearly Death Note is an exception.

May 30, 10:43 AM

When I first started watching I was less critical of things compared to now. So I would have to say yes.

May 30, 10:46 AM

So you basically changed your opinion after a rewatch. Eh, happens.

May 30, 11:37 AM

not really.. my watching pace and average ratings stayed pretty similar on an yearly basis, starting from 2012 when i first started more serious watching

this year might be the first notable decline because i started working :<

May 30, 12:22 PM
Haruhi Suzumiya is a garbage show with one of the worst protagonists to ever exist in anime, so its not surprising you became jaded towards the anime.

Besides, who gives a shit about a dead series that was popular a decade ago?

May 31, 12:19 AM

People are really still shitting on Haruhi in 2019 lmfao. Haruhi was what it was because of the era it was created.