Forum Settings
Forums

do you loose interest in animu if you take breaks watchign it

New
May 26, 2019 12:36 PM

Sep 2014
just dropped every animu on my watch list. I was going weeks between episodes and I just didn't care about them anymore. cold-hearted, you might say. but it had to be done. now im going to find new animu to watch. probably not going to try to watch a bunch with breaks in between. just a few, and relatively quickly finish them.
May 26, 2019 12:50 PM

Nov 2016
The decision not to watch them for a few weeks might have been a sign that you didn't care anymore xD

Maybe after a one or two months, unless it's episodic.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

May 26, 2019 12:54 PM

Sep 2018
I do loose excitement, shows like Clannad got less interesting because I took too long
May 26, 2019 1:03 PM

Sep 2014
FMmatron said:
The decision not to watch them for a few weeks might have been a sign that you didn't care anymore xD

true, if I really liked something, I should be eager to watch the next episode right away.

MangaZed said:
I do loose excitement, shows like Clannad got less interesting because I took too long

I think if it was something I really liked I could get away with taking a break, but if it's just somewhat enjoyable, and not very enjoyable, I'm not going to be as invested.
May 26, 2019 1:03 PM

Dec 2017
I don't usually loose interests in good anime despite of taking breaks. I sometimes do, if that anime isn't of my type.

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

May 26, 2019 1:07 PM

Jul 2015
To me, the more it takes to end an anime, the less interest you have on the anime. That happened to me with Another.

May 26, 2019 1:08 PM

Jul 2016
Happens a lot when waiting for new seasons. I liked Attack on Titan when I was watching it, but after season 2 ended I just, kind of, never saw the rest.
May 26, 2019 1:12 PM

Sep 2018
AnimeFreak-San said:
FMmatron said:

true, if I really liked something, I should be eager to watch the next episode right away.

MangaZed said:

I think if it was something I really liked I could get away with taking a break, but if it's just somewhat enjoyable, and not very enjoyable, I'm not going to be as invested.

I absolutely loved Clannad my problem is, is that it is my 3rd anime ever.
this is what happend.

Friday: I watch anime for the first time Toradora loved it.
Saturday: in the morning I finish Toradora and start on Your lie in april and finish it the same day!
Sunday: teary eyed watch S1 of Clannad

so damn depressed. PADS.I took a week break and did nothing. then finish it in the next week or so. it ruined it a bit for me still enjoyed it very much.
By the end of clannad you-what-happends I was out of tears.
May 26, 2019 1:17 PM

Jul 2015
For good quality anime, I'm always eager to watch the next episode as soon as possible.
But for anime that I consider average or bad, I usually lose interest and taking a break helps me to not continuously feel bored. It also helps me gather some interest for it (well at least try to gather some...) with the hope of finishing it asap.

May 26, 2019 1:43 PM

Nov 2016
@AnimeFreak-San

That's one approach, but doesn't always have to be the case. Like I watched Grisaia no Rakuen within the span of less than a day, it was a pretty good watch, but far from the best. The are series I like more where I prefer to take my time with them. Maybe you've experienced something similar too.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

May 26, 2019 1:55 PM

May 2009
AnimeFreak-San said:
do you loose interest in animu if you take breaks watchign it
If you mean in a particular series, sometimes yeah, I do risk losing interest, though sometimes the interest just happens again on a whim, maybe because something made me think of it again. (For example I hear a song whose chords sound like the chords from the theme song.)

Watching stuff quickly has the benefit of keeping the story/setting info fresh in my head, but on the other hand I wanna make sure I don't watch it too quickly, or else the show might not have the proper time to "sink in" for the best experience (as opposed to that feeling where I'm just watching something to get it over with).
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
May 26, 2019 1:55 PM

May 2015
Yes it happened to me too. I'd say the cause is that if you really liked that anime you wouldn't have taken the break, at least that's my case.

On the other hand I took a break from Monster 15 epsiodes in and 1 month later I restarted it from the beginning and the experience was way better.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 26, 2019 1:57 PM

May 2014
Kinda, I guess. It's the opposite for my rewatches, the longer I take, the more I want to savour them.
May 26, 2019 2:00 PM

Aug 2018
AnimeFreak-San said:
just dropped every animu on my watch list. I was going weeks between episodes and I just didn't care about them anymore

Yea me too , one week is too long ofc I will lose interest

"I want to show that woman the true Yoshikage Kira. I want her to hear how I feel deep inside. That I want to take your slender neck into these hands and strangle you to death."

May 26, 2019 2:05 PM

Aug 2016
I'm the opposite, I start to lose interest if i *dont* have a break from anime, especially longer ones
May 26, 2019 2:23 PM

May 2015
Depends. If it's an action based show then probably as I'd most likely forget all the important things that have happened in the weeks I spent not watching.

SoL on the other hand is something I actually prefer to watch every so often. Maybe not every few weeks, but watching an episode of a relaxing show every few days is a nice way to unwind rather than watching it all in one go.

But as someone who's been watching seasonals since 2015 I think I've managed to acquire the ability to stay interested between weekly episodes.

♡ artist
サコ
May 26, 2019 3:05 PM

Sep 2014
I guess I would, but the real question is why would I randomly stop watching something for multiple weeks?
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
May 26, 2019 5:11 PM

Dec 2016
Yes, which is why I prefer to binge watch shows when I can because I know I will enjoy it more that way.

What's the difference?
May 26, 2019 5:34 PM

Jun 2017
Not that I lose interest, more like I like to get everything I can from a series and most of the time when I pause and come back to a series after a break I feel I might be missing out on details or important aspects of the story or what the author intends to tell with it and feel the need to start the anime from the first episode.

May 26, 2019 5:45 PM

Jun 2017
It happens but I don't drop them, I just put them in my On-Hold list and watch it from the first episode some day later
May 26, 2019 5:48 PM

Jul 2016
it kind of depends i guess, a lot of the time i'll keep an anime on my watch list for a long time not because i've lost interest but
just that for the moment, i'd rather watch something else or i've suddenly gotten very busy. i'm more tolerant and willing to
keep at an anime now than i used to be though - i used to have a "five episode policy" where i'd immediately drop an anime
as soon as i could tell i wasn't feeling it within five episodes. but nowadays, i'll usually go back to a couple of oldies and see
if my feelings have possibly changed. i'm also a pretty slow watcher so it's normal for me to take a long time to complete shows.

grouper - no other

0:00 ●━━━━━━─────── 3:46

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ◁ㅤㅤ❚❚ㅤㅤ▷ㅤㅤㅤㅤ↻

⁞⁞⁞ purple cause baal is my wife  ⁞⁞⁞
May 26, 2019 9:16 PM

May 2017
i dont know about losing interest, but i will forget to watch 'one piece' for a month and go "oh shit i didn't realize it had been that long"

but then theres new seasons of shows like 'food wars' or AOT that are no where near the top of my "next to watch" list
May 27, 2019 12:36 AM

Mar 2013
Nope, it doesn't loose me interest me when i take a break watching it.
I want to finish it will all my best, eager to know the ending, good series must not drop it.
May 27, 2019 3:25 AM

Dec 2018
i know what u feeling.
But sometime, take breaks really worth it to refresh your mind XD

May 27, 2019 3:38 AM

Apr 2017
I took the longest break from One Piece then eventually came back to it after a year, it really depends on the show. Took a break from Future Diary and never came back to it because for obvious reasons same thing happened with Yuri on Ice. I usually put shows I haven't watched in a long time on hold because I don't like dumping a bunch of shows in my dropped section and I probably do want to end up finishing it.
May 27, 2019 4:24 AM

Dec 2018
Even if i love my cute girls shows, it can be a bit much time from time. And if i don't feel it i don't watch it and take a break. Usually its not a problem for me to pick it up later

Yuri-CrusaderMay 27, 2019 6:43 AM
May 27, 2019 11:47 PM

Apr 2015
I think I don't lose significant interest in shows even if I take breaks in between. There are numerous shows that I put on hold for one reason and another; one such reason is that I realize (while still enjoying the show) that this show would impact me more if I watched it at a more opportune time. There could be an emotionally powerful drama, but I'll put it on hold if I'm more in want of soothing slice of life. I.e. after days of challenging work, my spirit needs to be soothed by slice of life rather than go through gut-wrenching turns from a drama.

On a side note, I took a break from watching a lot of shows back in Fall 2018. From then to the recent, I got bit with an immense urge to play ARPGs. A few weeks back, I decided to continue 10-13ish Fall 2018 shows. On the first episodes of starting again, I felt a little disoriented with trying to remember what happened six plus months ago. By the start of the second episodes, I had recalled most of the content, and having a blast with continuing to watch those Fall shows.
May 28, 2019 6:14 AM

Apr 2014
yeah if i stop watching for a while i lose interest in watching it to the point where its been on my watch list or on hold list for like months or years, but when i do finally pick it up again, i can usually binge it pretty easy
May 28, 2019 6:19 AM

Oct 2018
I think the fact you take breaks between watching them is already a sign that you've lost interest in the first place.

However, I do feel it's harder to get into a show when you abruptly take a break from watching it.
【🇳​🇪​🇼​ 🇵​🇷​🇴​🇫​🇮​🇱​🇪​ 🇩​🇪​🇸​🇮​🇬​🇳​】

I accept all friend requests! - Feel free to add me!

May 28, 2019 9:43 AM

Feb 2010
only if I wasn't really interested in it in the first place.

For example I have Juushinki Pandora on my Currently Watching List because I watched 3 eps of it on Netflix at some point, but it was very mediocre and I haven't been back since, probably never will finish it.

But I also have Kaguya-sama on my Currently Watching List because I watched the first 9 eps and then ended up starting a bunch of other recently aired show, like Kaze ga, Tsurune, Piano No Mori, Hinomaruzumo and so on. But I'm still quite looking forward to those last 3 eps of Kaguya, it's more like I'm saving them for a rainy day rather than avoiding them because I have no more interest.

There is also Lupin III on my Currently Watching List which I only watch sporadically and haven't watched in maybe a year but definitely plan to continue and finish at some point.

So yeah, if there was only a minimum interest to watch something in the first place, that minimum interest will be gone if I take a break. But any more fundamental interest in a show will remain even if I go on break for years like I did in some cases.
I probably regret this post by now.
May 28, 2019 12:07 PM

Nov 2015
not really, but those breaks aren't really self-inflicted to begin with.

I have to balance my free time with work and college among other things, so more often then not I have to sacrifice time watching anime. But because it's not something that I do because I want to, there's never the feeling that I actually feel like I'm losing interest. If anything it just pushes me to want to watch even more.
May 28, 2019 9:02 PM
Mar 2018
If I don't like an anime at the beginning, I stop watching get back to it and I like it. In the case of an anime that I enjoyed watching then put it on hold, put it on hold for quite a while. I don't know why...

More topics from this board

» Do you drop shows? ( 1 2 )

EverRealm - Apr 23

64 by alshu »»
5 minutes ago

» Has the isekai bubble finally burst ( 1 2 )

EastIndiaCompany - Apr 23

61 by alshu »»
7 minutes ago

» Why are most current goblins green?

Absurdo_N - 10 hours ago

17 by alshu »»
12 minutes ago

» something you dislike about your favorite character

Kenzolo-folk - Apr 22

26 by LeonhartAugust »»
17 minutes ago

» Is it over for newcomer boomers?

LenRea - 55 minutes ago

7 by FanofAction »»
17 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.