Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Poll: Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 Part 2 Episode 5 Discussion

May 27, 9:36 AM

"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.

May 27, 9:36 AM
EEEEEEEEEEEPPIIIIIIIIIICCCC!!!

I'm not sure why but one of my eye got watery when they showed Armin's burned body in the very last scene.

I think.... the Titan Serum might be used on Armin.. or not? Non-manga reader here :P I hope they doesn't use it on that newest recruit that were shown to be the sole survivor though...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

May 27, 9:41 AM

This episode solidifies Attack on Titan on my top favorite list
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

May 27, 10:00 AM

god this was so GOOD - everything about this episode was absolutely amazing.
they finally got bertholdt and reiner which was so relieving but man did it come at a cost :( seeing armin like that was heartbreaking, but i admire his leadership skills and his sacrifice for humanity's sake sososo much

aaaaaa i was so happy to see hange too

May 27, 10:01 AM

From the most satisfying/epic moment of seeing Levi obliterate the beast titan... to heartfelt moment of Armin's final sacrifice. Can't even put into words what I just saw. My new favorite anime episode.

100/10

May 27, 10:03 AM

HOLY FUCK

I thought last episode was fucking amazing... HOLY SHIT. Had to rewatch this one immediately. That was the single greatest episode of Attack On Titan ever, out of all the seasons for me. Easily. That was fucking amazing in so many ways I'm just about speechless...

Levi's entire ""fight"" and retribution against the Ape Titan... That shot with the titans running towards Levi as he drops his used up blades and begins to breakdown over Erwin--with realization creeping in as he starts having time to think again... That rookie guy realizing his love and what was actually important to him as his life comes to an end.. That shot where Levi was in the background wrecking the ensuring titans as the other rookie guy was PTSD'ing the fuck out surrounded by bodies, wondering why he was the one alive... The whole 1-episode creation and execution of Armin's anti-Bertholdt plan and Armin's subsequent fate... The moment of Hange's return and Bertholdt getting surprise fucked by Eren... ALL OF IT. SO MUCH IN ONE EPISODE. And to fit and do all that and still have it feel well paced?
This show can be so fucking incomparably thrilling and epic. The music, the animation, the story, the pacing... It's like all the perfect mix. A distillation of pure hypeness. And with both of Game of Thrones and One Punch Man's latest continuations I am so thankful for Attack on Titan right now, and how it's still delivering like this after all this time and still reaching new heights.

On the episode itself, firstly DAMN was it so satisfying to see them wreck the enemy side like that. It always is with this show but to have the tables turn so completely in one episode? Seeing the titan trio get utterly wrecked and taken so much by surprise was so sadistically cathartic, the Ape Titan's ""fight"" especially. Fuck that was so good and brutal, it even tops that one Levi scene in the OVAs. I can't wait to see the Ape Titan's reaction to the situation on the other side of the wall, and how things are just as fucked now over there. Also I need Eren to drag bitch boy Bertholdt around a bit more please... Maybe a lot more. And for AT LEAST ONE of the shifting titans to die too. I get the feeling Ape Titan is going to escape somehow, kinda has to I guess, but Bertholdt and Reiner CAN'T POSSIBLY survive this. Please kill them show--no taking prisoners. I know there's a thing about Reiner's colossal plot armor so maybe he won't die either... But at least Bertholdt? Please?

And secondly, Armin... :( I've never really felt too close to his character personally--I don't think we ever really got enough varied moments from him for his character to truly shine--but damn if even I wasn't hit by that. In terms of top anime deaths (and assuming he really is dead for good) that is way fucking up there. Armin's character towards the end was really well-done. In both ways.

Besides the amazing pacing (that set up, properly delivered on and completed three huge fights and three different group's strategies/plans all at once as well as multiple character deaths) another thing this episode needs credit for is just how well executed all the plot lines are here. Despite so much being flipped on it's head and the humans winning all three battles against the standardly terrible odds this episode, it still all felt easy to believe. I was never once thrown out of it, or questioned the series of events. There was always enough foreshadowing, sacrifice and/or consistency involved to all of it. More and more with Attack On Titan am I realizing just how much I love Isayama's storywriting, flawed as it may be.

Judging by the preview for next episode it looks like Levi is going to try rescue Erwin with the titan serum he's got, and Erwin will probably refuse provided he's still able to talk. I'm worried about Levi--Erwin is really the only person he's still got/had from way back and the only person that's survived through it all like he has. Even though he never expressed much I think he's is going to realise that he was a lot closer to Erwin and relied on him way more than he'd thought. Levi is gonna realise that he isn't quite so immune from the effects of tragedy and loss. And I do wonder if maybe Eren is going to instead want to use the serum on Armin. Dunno if there'd be much hope but I do recall seeing Eren, Mikasa and Levi fighting over something on that rooftop in the preview for this last season... The titan side this episode (as they tend to do) truly underestimated humanity's ingenuity and sheer stubbornness of will.
Oh and I'm calling it now that Hange is gonna rock a permanent eye patch from now on. Surprised her character didn't already have one tbh

Modified by Zaugr, May 27, 12:52 PM

May 27, 10:10 AM

Funseco said:
Durst0n said:
The culmination of 6 years wait. What an absolute masterpiece.

the chapter with beast titan vs levi came out in 2016

I think he said that regarding THE ABSOLUTE REKT that Reiner and Berthold had in this episode haha (since I guess the anime first season was in 2013)
Modified by Batora07, May 27, 10:17 AM

May 27, 10:11 AM
AOT jumped 2 positions in top 100 after this episode. 10/10 best episode of the season

May 27, 10:24 AM

It's has been a beautiful adaptation

May 27, 10:34 AM

BinaryFinary said:
AOT jumped 2 positions in top 100 after this episode. 10/10 best episode of the season

For now this is the peak, but just you wait for the basement portion, and THAT will establish this as a masterpiece for good in the eyes of many haha

I can't wait to see it animated <3

May 27, 10:53 AM
This was phenomenal, rarely would I actually consider an episode 10/10 but this is it.

People rightly go on about the animation for Levi vs Beast Titan but Mikasa vs Reiner tops it for me. Reiner exploding out of the back of his titan was incredibly well animated and the music was perfect.
Cant wait for next week, this show just keeps getting better and better

May 27, 10:53 AM

No contact me for at least a month... i'm in mourning right now. I literally screamed and cried so much that my dad came to check i was okay haha

But also Levi vs Beast Titan... so fucking awesome!

May 27, 11:05 AM

Ahahaha, fuck yes, I'm so happy to see this show is getting so much widespread approval. I've seen so many reactions now of people calling this one of their favorite eps of anime. Fuck who says this show's overrated, this is one of the most gripping anime epics yet.

Danpmss said:
BinaryFinary said:

For now this is the peak, but just you wait for the basement portion, and THAT will establish this as a masterpiece for good in the eyes of many haha

God I completely agree. Just thinking about how they're going to animate the basement and the subsequent episodes is giving me chills.

May 27, 11:12 AM
Zeke couldn’t do any damn thing against Levi! One of the greatest episodes,10/10

May 27, 11:28 AM

Modernoir said:

Ahahaha, fuck yes, I'm so happy to see this show is getting so much widespread approval. I've seen so many reactions now of people calling this one of their favorite eps of anime. Fuck who says this show's overrated, this is one of the most gripping anime epics yet.

Danpmss said:

God I completely agree. Just thinking about how they're going to animate the basement and the subsequent episodes is giving me chills.
there will always be people who only watch CGDCT ecchi comedy shows and hate on more character and story driven stuff
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.

May 27, 11:30 AM
This is Armin's ep. Levi failed to do his mission. Erwin warned them about that cart-titan being a shifter, yet he got busy playing with Zeke. Should have acted faster after catching him. He and Zeke were enjoying themselves while the 15-year-olds were betting their lives to win the war and end this tragedy.

May 27, 11:31 AM
Maki's arms

Man, sometimes I hate that I've read the manga. Just reading the comments of people who came into this without knowing what was happening...it's enjoyment on another level. And the next episode that's coming...just....

They're doing a good job of adapting this.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

May 27, 11:42 AM

Really nice adaptation. Everything is just tight.

Farabeuf said:
Man, sometimes I hate that I've read the manga. Just reading the comments of people who came into this without knowing what was happening...it's enjoyment on another level. And the next episode that's coming...just....

They're doing a good job of adapting this.

Yep.. Not enough chills as we already know what would be happening years ago. Still 10/10 episode though.
Modified by Boot_Leg, May 27, 11:46 AM
The Conviction Arc is even better than the Golden Age Arc.

May 27, 11:43 AM

MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!! I have no words... This was amazing, everything.

Now we know what was that last scene in the end of the fist part of this season.

May 27, 11:50 AM

lol i dont know about u guys
@Farabeuf @Boot_Leg

but i fucking cried i created a new ocean
even though i read it
xD
You son of a .. turtle

May 27, 12:17 PM

Goodbye to you my friend...

May 27, 12:18 PM

The only thing I don't understand is that, how come Armin's body didn't melt if his blade got melted away like that.
The melting point of steel is pretty high it should be able to melt charred human flesh too.

Nim0174 said:
lol i dont know about u guys
@Farabeuf @Boot_Leg

but i fucking cried i created a new ocean
even though i read it
xD

I concede that I stayed almost cool as a stone throughout the ep
Except the Levi fight scene (as a Levi fanboy since 2012 my heart did drop a few beats lol)
Bad thing is that I know I would be much more stunned had I not read the manga lol
The Conviction Arc is even better than the Golden Age Arc.

May 27, 12:19 PM
amazing episode the payoff was worth it. the past two episodes were just unreal

May 27, 12:41 PM

Maybe the best episode of the entire series. The three most powerful titans are down for the count and that was so epic.

Levi was so badass against the Ape after all those sacrifices.

Hange save the day with the Armored (hope Sacha isn't to badly injured)

But Armin's sacrifice during his suicide mission was over the top. Really didn't expect this plan coming from the brain of the team. Wasn't that much attached to him but now, i get a lot more respect from me. Will see if he can have the seringue Levi was talking about and turn into a titan but i doubt it will happen.

May 27, 12:44 PM

Man Levi vs the Beast Titan was great. More importantly, may Armin rest in peace. He did a great job.
"If all you ever do is look down on people, you won't be able to recognize your own weaknesses." -Katsuki Bakugo

May 27, 1:00 PM
Nice to see the Titans fall

May 27, 1:01 PM
bruh Levi back at it again with that devastating slash attacks of his
also my boi Armin is 200iq

May 27, 1:01 PM

Now that's what I'm talking about.
Finally, some good fucking episode.

May 27, 1:03 PM

Kmlshblr said:
Holy fuck what an episode
Despair time next week

Could you just stop spoilering you fucking asshole?

May 27, 1:12 PM
This ep was at its best, making it one of the most memorable episodes of entire Shingeki no Kyojin.
What makes it more wonderful is that every character is on the quest of giving their all especially the survey corps.
"WHATEVER IT TAKES" Just like Avengers:Endgame.
Sacrifice is the theme of this entire season

May 27, 1:20 PM

holy shit tht was epic asedfrtgh omg

May 27, 1:29 PM
Modernoir said:
blackiemma22 said:

Lol but on some real shit if you didn't really enjoy part 1 then consider this arc and even this episode AoT's peak. It won't get better, actually probably worse for you at the end of this arc and going forward. The manga readers remaining are AoT's fans that sticked through so obviously most of them will tell you that it's getting better and better, but the truth is basement reveal and what follow was a a deal breaker for a lot of people.

It was only really a deal breaker for people who didn't get the foreshadowing that's been scattered much like how the other twists were handled the same. AoT goes from being a great series to a masterpiece post-basement, delving into why is spoiler-territory though.

As you said without going into spoiler territory it's not necessarily about not getting the foreshadowing, it's about what you like to see in a fiction. It doesn't mean the writing is less good, just that it's not your cup of tea.

May 27, 1:33 PM
blackiemma22 said:
Modernoir said:

It was only really a deal breaker for people who didn't get the foreshadowing that's been scattered much like how the other twists were handled the same. AoT goes from being a great series to a masterpiece post-basement, delving into why is spoiler-territory though.

As you said without going into spoiler territory it's not necessarily about not getting the foreshadowing, it's about what you like to see in a fiction. It doesn't mean the writing is less good, just that it's not your cup of tea.

That's fine to have as an opinion but when it gets to people criticizing the twist for not being something more predictable that's when I find it a bit more stupid. Besides the previous seasons have been focusing on a far stronger and more complex narrative as they've gone on so there's been more than enough hints to give people the idea of what the series will be like. If you couldn't handle the story/character-heavy focus in season 2 and season 3 the series shouldn't really have been for you even before the basement reveal. Which is fine, there are other shows that do flashy action and hype stuff out there, like Kabaneri and so on.

May 27, 1:38 PM

fantastic episode, holy shit.
Armin :(

May 27, 1:41 PM

Okay first of all, I did not like how the beast titan escaped. Levi should've known better and immediately killed him. Second though... holy crap, is Armin really dead? I thought maybe they would transform him and let him eat Bertolt or something, but he looks damn dead to me lying there completely wasted. I sure hope that they won't let Reiner and Bertolt escape as well just because they wait too long until they can transform again or let the beast titan save them, it's time for them to finally die, especially after killing Armin.

May 27, 1:43 PM

PokestarFan said:
WordIsBond said:

Well I thought Armin had plot armor since he is essentially a genius on the show and he was looking like a burnt chicken nugget at the end of the episode.

Yum, Armin nuggets!

I hope you like them extra crispy.

May 27, 1:49 PM
Gator said:
Okay first of all, I did not like how the beast titan escaped. Levi should've known better and immediately killed him. Second though... holy crap, is Armin really dead? I thought maybe they would transform him and let him eat Bertolt or something, but he looks damn dead to me lying there completely wasted. I sure hope that they won't let Reiner and Bertolt escape as well just because they wait too long until they can transform again or let the beast titan save them, it's time for them to finally die, especially after killing Armin.

Didja miss the part where Levi explicitly states he can't kill the Beast Titan because they wanted to use the serum on a soldier to make them a mindless titan so they can eat the BT and gain his power?

May 27, 1:52 PM
Review Moderator
(。•̀ᴗ-)⌒✧

I have to say that I think this is probably the best episode of SNK yet. I'm not a big fan of the franchise (especially cause the manga after this arc has gotten a bit ehhh), but they are really giving it all with this arc and I can't help being hyped! I rewatched various scenes multiple times even! I hope the rest of the season goes as strong!

May 27, 1:53 PM

What an incredible episode. It was so intense. All the characters were amazing, in their own way...

May 27, 1:59 PM

That alligator titan somehow reminds me of Tanjiro carrying Nezuko inside the box.
Armin was the hero of this episode. He didn't run till the end.
100/10
"Manga readers are annoying, all they do is complain or spoil the anime we discuss in an anime forum. They should really do their whining at manga forums.

USERS ON MY IGNORED LIST:
SSL443 - Dr4kon - Nerdanimefan1992
To add users to the Ignore list: (1) Go to Account settings (2) Click Forum tab and toggle down (3) Type or paste user name on entry box (4) Click Add and you're done.
Problem solved, you'll never have to see someone trolling ever again because their post will be closed/collapsed.

May 27, 2:27 PM
So here was the budget from the first few episodes. This was gorgeous.

May 27, 2:45 PM

I cry for Armin T_T

May 27, 2:47 PM

Does the baseball references mean that in the outside world...baseball exists? Is AoT based in the future instead of a fantasy past?

May 27, 2:54 PM
I wasn't expecting the Levi vs. Beast Titan fight to be over so quick, but I guess that just shows how awesome Levi is.

This is definitely one of the best episodes of the show, and I'm glad it's getting the recognition it deserves!

May 27, 2:58 PM

Props to Armin for having the biggest guts in the series next to Erwin.
Levi destroyed Zeke, it was really quick as well, maybe quicker than I expected.

And we are getting close to Eren´s house. I am wondering how will people take the reveal and all the infodump.

May 27, 3:00 PM
Supreme Tsundere

The most intense episode ever, and probably the best episode of the series so far, all the episode was full of highlights, then gone ALL OUT.
Too much to process, that wasnt only one Hero on this episode, they were all so brave T_T
Eren getting the kill on Colossus was a call back to first season, really great.
Lets not forget Erwin either...

No complains about this episode, solid 10/10 there.
Modified by Playcool, May 27, 3:03 PM

May 27, 3:15 PM

To think they managed to keep the bar set by the previous episode.
Another great episode.

May 27, 4:42 PM
They greatest AoT episode to air TO THIS DAY. I'm literally in FUCKING shock right now. What the actual fuck just happened. I'm gonna start the manga after this season ends. FUCK. BRO, I fucking cried. The internet already ruined this word but... I'M FUCKING SHOOK.

May 27, 4:51 PM

Arcos said:
Does the baseball references mean that in the outside world...baseball exists? Is AoT based in the future instead of a fantasy past?

depends on what you mean by future
baseball evolved in england from older bat/ball games in the mid 18th century.
so yeah, i dunno what that means but its just a real life fact
You son of a .. turtle

May 27, 4:55 PM

I really enjoyed Episode 4. I was amazed by everything it represented, from music, through art, ending on the direction. I was amazed to the point of writing in its dedicated thread on the forum that it can't be given a score of 10/10, but rather 11/10. Now I think that even 11/10 score won't be enough for Episode 5.

Why? It was even way better. If Episode 4 received 11/10 score from me, then Episode 5 deserved 12/10. Emotions, direction, music... Erwin's charge was dramatic both for him and for his soldiers, but later Levi could wreck Beast Titan. Too bad that four-legged fella who creeps me out each time he appears had to help Beast Titan to escape. Everything was perfectly directed.

I tip my hat to animation stuff. Levi vs. Beast Titan looked amazing, so were fights against Reiner and Bertholdt. Complexivity, great direction, caring for details, smoothness and correspondence with the art. It can be summarized like that.

About Armin... Damn. ;( His final stand was one of the most, if not the most, heroic moments in the whole series, at least until this moment.
Even when I knew what was gonna happen and what might happen in the next episode, that moment was special. By accident I read one spoiler months ago that was about Armin's sacrifice shown in the newest (back then) chapter of SnK manga. The funniest thing is that guys who spoiled it warned about spoilers, but gave a title of their articled posted on their website that spoiled what happened in the chapter.

Nevertheless, despite knowing about that moment from a spoiler, I could fully enjoy watching this scene. It proves that a journey itself is better than the final destination, especially when you have that many other events happening on the screen.

Man, I'm wondering if by the end of this cour I will be amazed to the point of writing about giving a score of 15/10 to an episode. xD It sounds ridicilous, but I am delighted to see such quality. Can't wait to see the next episode.

Pages (13) « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 10 » ... Last »

Preview MangaManga Store