Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 26, 2019 7:53 AM
May 2019

After finishing up Deadman Wonderland today I got to thinking about how many anime series seem to end on cliffhangers. I understand that studios have to test the waters and if a series doesn’t perform well enough then it wouldn’t be financially viable for them to continue it, however, the trend still makes me sad. Btooom!, No Game No Life, Claymore, and the aforementioned Deadman Wonderland all seemed poised to deliver interesting and unique stories, but none of them seemed to have garnered enough interest. I know Japanese Animation is a far cry from the goings on in Hollywood, but do you guys think we’ll ever see a mass resurgence in older anime being continued or redone similar to the rise of reboots and continuations in Hollywood? Sure we have the manga, but anime is on a whole other spectrum for me.
“I’m not going there to die. I’m going there to find out if I’m really alive.”

- Spike Spiegel
May 26, 2019 8:06 AM

Feb 2013
just read le mangao :^))))

spring 2018 had a historically high number of sequels, and i feel last years had more sequels than usual......does this feel like a resurgence?

also, all those anime u mention sound like the kind who were more popular outside japan than inside.. very rarely such anime get any kind of sequel (trigun :D)
why havent you bought 10000 japanese dvds??? thats how u encourage creator for sequels
May 26, 2019 8:10 AM

Jul 2014
And the obligatory 'anime is mainly adverts for the source' so if it has served that purpose then more seasons aren't needed

HOWEVER, recently a lot of shows are getting reboots and sequels but it's unpredictable and so you just gotta pray and hope.
'Those who like space, can't be bad people'

May 26, 2019 8:18 AM

Jan 2016
I mean, it's been feeling like lately lots of older series have been coming back after long hiatuses. Fruits Basket remake, sequels to Magical Index, Chihayafuru, ReLIFE, and Full metal Panic, complete adaptations of older material like Banana Fish, Parasyte, and of course Jojo's. And that's not even including announced but unscheduled seasons like Scientific Railgun, Teen Romantic Comedy, Re:Zero, and Knights of Sidonia. I know it's not a full resurgence and there's a lot of unfinished series out there, but it feels like recently, there has been more of a concerted effort to continue past stories, and while it's definitely more continue the stories of the last 10 years as opposed to some of the all-time classics, I think the fact that there are adaptations coming out like that is an encouraging sign.
You have shit taste, and then I have taste so shit it makes your taste look good
May 26, 2019 8:19 AM

Nov 2011
It's nothing compared to anime original that doesn't have a proper ending, for example Darker than Black and Darker than Black ...

Just read the f****ng mangas.. Most of the times, original sources are far better than anime adaptation ...
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
May 26, 2019 8:20 AM
May 2019
I will say this. If Berserk had no ended on a cliffhanger I never would have picked up the manga which turned out to be one of the most amazing things I'd ever read. I do see the "anime advert" situation popping up quite a bit and that's a bit disheartening, however, I do understand the thinking behind it. I just gotta keep playing those mega lotto tickets so I can fund them myself I guess XD

- Spike Spiegel
May 26, 2019 8:21 AM
May 2019
Jim_Heart said:
It's nothing compared to anime original that doesn't have a proper ending, for example Darker than Black and Darker than Black ...

Oh god thank you for this. I was about to watch it......

- Spike Spiegel
May 26, 2019 8:36 AM
Apr 2017
Jim_Heart said:

Just read the f****ng mangas.. Most of the times, original sources are far better than anime adaptation ...
I always wonder what sort of mental problems people who come up with this line have. Do you realise that anime and manga are two separate and different media or did you bump your head too many times when you were a toddler?

Then again, the death note avatar really gives it away, I guess. Forget I asked.
"The problem with defining even an aspect of your personality by something that you like, is that criticism of that product appears to you to be criticism of you personally. I find it to be a very harmful attitude, [...] you can't rationally discuss a product because you've started to define yourself by its very existence."

John Bain
May 26, 2019 8:45 AM

Nov 2011
Kurgo said:
Jim_Heart said:

I always wonder what sort of mental problems people who come up with this line have. Do you realise that anime and manga are two separate and different media or did you bump your head too many times when you were a toddler?

Then again, the death note avatar really gives it away, I guess. Forget I asked.

They are the same story as long as the anime still followed the manga.. And if you have watched enough animes, you will realize that if you want to know how the story continues you must read the sources because many times people in anime industry don't bother to adapt your favorite franchise completely (especially if your favorite anime is not successful in the market) ...
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
May 26, 2019 10:23 AM

Feb 2010
Welcome to anime, the medium of unfinished commercials for the source material.

I recommend learning to enjoy the journey and not caring about getting a conclusion or not. It's the best way to enjoy anime.
I probably regret this post by now.
May 26, 2019 10:52 AM

Nov 2013
i think getting into anime you have to somewhat settle for less in a lot of ways. you may start your favourite series one day knowing it's never going to have the ending, and maybe not even the half way point animated. i came to terms with that kinda quickly though and began to enjoy the stories i got to experience. a lot of western shows i liked suffered from the opposite where they dragged it out endlessly and didn't know when to stop so it was easy to swallow.
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
May 26, 2019 10:59 AM

Dec 2018
I'm surprised that nobody in this thread has mentioned Panty and Stocking yet. That show ended on the most ludicrous cliffhanger I've ever seen, and there's no manga to continue the story. They totally banked on there being a second season, and there never was one. I don't think a revival is impossible, since the show has a pretty big cult following, but I wouldn't bet on it. At least we have the fan-made sequel manga.
I MUST SOMEHOW MAKE SENSE OF OUR CONVOLUTED SITUATION
May 26, 2019 2:15 PM
Jul 2018
Coach_Koro said:
I'm surprised that nobody in this thread has mentioned Panty and Stocking yet. That show ended on the most ludicrous cliffhanger I've ever seen, and there's no manga to continue the story. They totally banked on there being a second season, and there never was one. I don't think a revival is impossible, since the show has a pretty big cult following, but I wouldn't bet on it. At least we have the fan-made sequel manga.

You mean this one? It was made by the actual producers (Imaishi, Wakabayashi, Nishigori and Koyama)
https://m.imgur.com/a/rFpaa
May 27, 2019 2:05 AM

Dec 2018
petran79 said:
Coach_Koro said:

You mean this one? It was made by the actual producers (Imaishi, Wakabayashi, Nishigori and Koyama)
https://m.imgur.com/a/rFpaa

I actually had no idea this existed. I was referring to another one that was fan-made, I can't remember what it's called or who made it though.
I MUST SOMEHOW MAKE SENSE OF OUR CONVOLUTED SITUATION
May 28, 2019 6:32 AM

Apr 2014
regardless if they are different media/spectrum/etc. it is true that most anime serves to advertise the manga. if it is/was really popular and is/was a cash cow at the same time then it can get more adaptations. the studio/producers also play a role in it too. for example, space cobra has had like 3 other adaptations since 1982, and indeed it was popular, but it was not the most popular thing from around that time

More topics from this board

» That moment when you realize...

Dominusew - 9 minutes ago

2 by Nemo_Niemand »»
4 minutes ago

» what's the worst anime you've watched and what exactly was the worst part of it ? ( 1 2 )

ame - Apr 7

66 by 23feanor »»
22 minutes ago

» which antagonist is your fave and which one you cannot JUST TAKE SERIOUSLY ?

ame - 6 hours ago

13 by Otakupervert890 »»
29 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 23

90 by Theo1899 »»
32 minutes ago

» Upcoming Dubbed Anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenny_Stryker - Dec 17, 2017

9069 by anime-prime »»
46 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.