Forum Settings
Forums

do you treat all your equal ratings the same?

New
do you treat all your equal ratings the same (like you treat all anime you given an 8 the same?)
May 26, 2019 4:01 AM

Jan 2009
like you treat all anime you given an 8 the same? for me no, i say they are all very good but each of them are very good for different reasons (most of the time)

how about you?
May 26, 2019 4:07 AM

Jan 2016
Obviously not, that's why I would like a scoring system that goes from 1 to 100.
May 26, 2019 4:13 AM

May 2015
No, I have preferences among them too or give them the same score for different reasons but I try to give all the anime that fit a similar spectrum of appreciation the same rating.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 26, 2019 4:13 AM

Jan 2009
Johnnyd3rp said:
Obviously not, that's why I would like a scoring system that goes from 1 to 100.

thats a good one or decimal points will do too
May 26, 2019 4:30 AM

Jan 2013
I want my scores to be consistent but it's not possible in practice, so no.
May 26, 2019 4:31 AM

Feb 2010
No, some of them I keep in cages while the rest of them are allowed to freely roam the premises.
I probably regret this post by now.
May 26, 2019 4:33 AM

Jan 2009
looking at the results so far MAL should really consider updating the scoring/rating system here, but i remember they rejected all the proposals like the ones mentioned in this thread
May 26, 2019 4:36 AM

Jan 2017
I treat my 7 ratings anime the same
For me 7 means a typical anime that didn't comes up with something new, something that did not blow my mind, but I still enjoy watching it to waste time.
I don't treat 8,9 and 10 the same, only 7.
So the answer is kinda yes but no.
May 26, 2019 4:42 AM

Feb 2019
It's hard to treat them all the same, since it's a quite small scale of possible ratings to give. Different shows are good or bad for different reasons. And having 5 attributes to score (the way mal is supposedly intended to work), you end up having to round up or round down your ratings.

When it comes down to rating, I think anilist's system and their multiple choices of rating scales are a better representative of people's preferences and standards.
May 26, 2019 4:42 AM

Jul 2015
I don't treat my ratings the same. For example some of my 8's are on the lower side (7.6) while some are more on the higher side (8.3).
I would prefer a decimal point system, but I don't think the mods are gonna change that.

May 26, 2019 4:44 AM

Jan 2018
I feel like I have a pretty solid reasoning for each of my scores, making it fairly easy to assess where I should place them, but in all honesty I tend to change things around quite a bit (especially after letting an anime sink in for a while; week, month, whatever), because I'm never truly satisfied with the current system. Part of me would love to see a decimal system, or something that gives us more liberty than a standard 1-10. Hell, even a "0.5" addition would work wonders for me. Who knows if that'll ever actually happen, though.. it's pretty doubtful.

So yeah, to answer your question it's a definite "no." I constantly see two or more series that share the same score and wonder if I should just revamp my whole system again to fix the problem. Idk, maybe it's just a mild case of OCD, lol

"I am not sure that I exist, actually. I am all the writers that I have read, all the
people that I have met, all the women that I have loved; all the cities I have visited.
"
― Jorge Luis Borges
[url=]Goodreads[/url] | [url=]Letterboxd[/url]

May 26, 2019 5:07 AM
Sep 2018
No.. I give an anime 8 when I think it deserves more than 7.7 and up till 8.5 and I give it 7 when I think it deserves less than 7.7.. although the option for decimals isn't there I always imagine my ratings in decimals so rarely 2 anime rated 8 are on the same level.
Furthermore those that are on the same level are not on an equal standing for different reasons, some are better at one thing and others at another e.g story vs action vs animation vs depth vs charcter development etc. Some times elements of the same factor are different e.g action vs action - one has magic, other has superpowers.
While the score is the same the value is different so they are all judged differently.
May 26, 2019 5:11 AM

Sep 2018
Not necessarily. What I do is take all five categories (Story, Art & Animation, Sound, Characters, Enjoyment) and divide by five to get a score.

If anime X were to get a 7.6 let's say, I would round that to 8.

If anime Y were to get an 8.4, I would round that down to an 8.

So technically, I would say that anime Y is better than anime X, even though they have the same scores on my list.

Other times I just give a score and say "Yeah I think that it deserves it without considering my rating system"
"Literary experts revealed that reviews on sites like MyAnimeList kill more than 200 brain cells per second."

- Joey, "The Anime Man"
May 26, 2019 5:12 AM

Jun 2017
No, how can I? When 2 shows have different genres and anything else, it's near impossible to treat them completely the same
May 26, 2019 5:13 AM

Nov 2011
Obviously no, but still more or less they have equal class ("good", "very good", etc)..

Scoring system from 1 to 100 will make our system worse.. If we have liberty in giving scores to decimal point, the scoring average will definitely be significantly higher, and we already have too high scoring average (nearly 7 when at the same time MAL define " average" as 5) ...
I believe 5 star system wil give more objective score because giving 3/5 is thousand times easier for some people than giving 5/10.. But at the same time, only 5 possible points will also decrease our fun in scoring shows..
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
May 26, 2019 5:22 AM
Mar 2018
No, thats why I wished we had an option to rate shows with decimals(8.5, 6.5 etc)
May 26, 2019 5:23 AM

Jan 2009
Jim_Heart said:
Obviously no, but still more or less they have equal class ("good", "very good", etc)..

Scoring system from 1 to 100 will make our system worse.. If we have liberty in giving scores to decimal point, the scoring average will definitely be significantly higher, and we already have too high scoring average (nearly 7 when at the same time MAL define " average" as 5) ...
I believe 5 star system wil give more objective score because giving 3/5 is thousand times easier for some people than giving 5/10.. But at the same time, only 5 possible points will also decrease our fun in scoring shows..

i can see a decimal system from a 1-5 scale rating could be a good compromise

but ye MAL denied anything involving changing the rating system here
May 26, 2019 5:31 AM

Nov 2017
Definitely not. Especially the 7's. It would be nice as some people have said if you could rate from one to 100
It's not like I like anime or anything.

May 26, 2019 5:40 AM

Oct 2010
Nope. I have my own ranks and preferences, and if anybody is curious, I rate stuff on a 100-point scale in Anilist (for movies in Criticker).
May 26, 2019 6:23 AM

Mar 2017
A score is a summary of quality and enjoyment combined, so many things have many different reasons for being scored the way they are. Two things might have a 7/10, but for completely different reasons! One could be a spectacular piece of eye candy with little development, and the other could be a bit drab in style but tell a most amazing, unforgettable story.
Everything's different, even if they're the same.
May 26, 2019 6:49 AM

Jul 2016
Nope. Scores don't take into account genre, the actual content, or you actual enjoyment. It's just a number.

"All animals anime are equal, but some are more equal than others." ~ George Orwell
May 26, 2019 8:56 AM

Apr 2014
no, it all depends on my enjoyment of the show. comparing scores on my list doesnt work since different things affect my enjoyment which are things beyond the control of the series, studio, etc.
May 26, 2019 9:00 AM

Mar 2018
No I don't. Some will be closer to the score below and some to the score above and I would never consider rounding my score.
May 26, 2019 9:40 AM

May 2009
No; the ratings are just a summary of my opinion.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
May 26, 2019 9:58 AM

Jul 2017
Obligatory no. I mean in some cases like most 10's I'd treat the same, but especially in the lower ratings, they're kinda all over the place. Scum's Wish isn't as bad as something like Citrus but they're still the same rating for me :P
May 26, 2019 11:04 AM

Jul 2013
No, they're around the same tier, but some can be better than the others. Say I give two anime a 7/10. One of them could be 6.8, and the other could be 7.3 (not that I actually use decimal, this is just for clarification).
May 26, 2019 11:06 AM

Jul 2007
Obligatory yes. It wouldn't make sense otherwise.
☆☆☆
"There's a huge difference between one and infinity.
However, compared to the difference between
existence and non-existence, one and infinite are
nearly the same. I am the child destined to become
the best witch... no... The greatest Creator in the world...!"
-Maria Ushiromiya
☆☆☆

May 26, 2019 11:18 AM

Aug 2017
Well yes, but X.5 rating system would be better.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ _Open to criticism._ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 26, 2019 11:43 AM

May 2015
No, I would prefer .5 system for better differentiation but even then I doubt the accurate representation could be achieved. There'll always be something I liked more be it for the story or just the characters and some of them I'll forget soon but other ones will stick with me for a long time. But still, they get the same score, it's just for different reasons.
May 26, 2019 12:09 PM

May 2014
For the most part. Mal doesn't use a decimal system, but in my head there are high 8's and low 8's. But something i give an 8 to is probably an anime i wouldn't mind re-watching.
May 26, 2019 12:44 PM

Nov 2016
No, I don't hold all my entries with the same rating in the same regard . It's not exactly feasible to compress the whole thought procress behind evaluating all the anime we've seen to such a degree that it would align with a scale that merely goes from 1-10.

For the purpose of illustration, I gave following series an 8.

The Royal Tutor, it was fun, emotional, had likeable characters and was all around a pleasant surprise. Easily the best bishounen slice of life series I've seen and therefore worthy of an 8 imo.

Then there's JoJo Stardust Crusader part 1, an extremely enjoyable battle shounen, far more ambitious with a bigger scale. Furthemore, a representative of my favorite genre and I pretty much loved every second of it. The thing is, there are battle shounen I like even more, such as the second part of the series, HxH or One Piece. Accordingly I will rate them higher and part 1 has to deal with the 8.

Both are great in their own right, it's just that I have preferences, yet at the same I also appreciate an anime of a genre that usually isn't my cup of tea.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

May 26, 2019 12:49 PM

Dec 2017
I don't, I mostly put anime with humor above.

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

May 26, 2019 1:00 PM
Jul 2018
sadly the fact that mal doesn't have decimals means i'm forced to treat as if i consider the shows i scored the same number as if they were all equally on the same range, when in truth that's hardly the case. there is varying degrees by which i have enjoyed the many shows i saw. alas we make do with what we have.

but in the words of a great and wise man once said: "i don't think the system works"
May 26, 2019 3:05 PM

Mar 2019
Johnnyd3rp said:
I just finished the TV adaptation of Koi Kaze a long time after I read the source material and I was forced to give both an 8 even though I consider the TV adaptation to be lesser than the source material it's still not so much lesser as to warrant a 7.

I'm not too fond of rating things in general however.

It is obvious that "obscenity" is not a term capable of exact legal definition; in the practice of the courts, it means "anything that shocks the magistrate".

— Bertrand Russell
May 26, 2019 3:18 PM

Apr 2018
No. When I score an anime on MAL I try to do it very objectively, so my score never shows my personal attachment to the show. For example, even though I love Naruto to no end, I think that objectively it should be rated as a 7. Even so, that doesn't mean that I am equally attached to EroManga-sensei which I also rate a 7.
May 26, 2019 3:26 PM

Aug 2016
No because being limited to whole numbers forces rounding of scores thanks to this site's restrictions. A 5.5 anime will appear to look equal to a 6.494 anime to any user, but when in fact I view them differently.
MechKingKillbotMay 26, 2019 3:33 PM
May 26, 2019 3:46 PM

Aug 2016
Nah some are very borderline and close to the next one up.
May 26, 2019 3:56 PM
Oct 2018
No. Usually when I rate stuff, i give them a rating of like low 8/high 7, and give it an 8. Other times I find something to be a high 8/low 9, and give it an 8. I would obviously hold the high 8/low 9 in higher regard than the low 8/high 7 one.
i think i've had enough
May 26, 2019 4:04 PM

Mar 2015
Nope. Scores given immediately after completion compared to a couple weeks after may be completely different to me. An anime can satisfy me in one moment but watching it again..it probably wouldn't have the same effect. A decimal system isn't going to minimize that either.
May 26, 2019 4:43 PM

Sep 2014
Not really. There are way too many shows, they are hard to compare, let alone to put together and say you like both exactly the same.

Nevertheless, I probably like each of my seven less than each of my eight, and more than every of my six.
May 26, 2019 5:56 PM

Jan 2016
each 1 to 10 number are tiered for me so no
May 26, 2019 5:59 PM

Jun 2012
I have 1000+ anime on my list. There is approximately a 99 entry gap between the worst and best show in my 7 scores, so no.

Use 1-100 scale and move to anilist.
Welcome to club: Anime that Should Continue
http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=37045
May 26, 2019 6:05 PM

Mar 2015
No, because two scores do not mean the same thing. Scores are a combination of everything that makes up an anime (score, art, characters, plot, etc.) With those individual ratings they are combined for an overall score. Differences in these individual parts can result in the same scores but different reasons for why.

Johnnyd3rp said:

Would two shows that you score a 78, for example, mean the same thing? Why not move to a scale of 1000?

I feel that the scale of 1-10 is perfect. It allows for you to have to make a decision on what it is without trapping yourself in a neutral area. This is the reason why very accurate surveys and tests usually do not have a neutral answer (or they ask you to choose it very little). People often can choose an answer, it's just that it is more difficult. I can get why some people like a decimal system, as it allows more choice, but ultimately it would lead to people wanting more.

LancimusPrimeMay 26, 2019 6:09 PM
May 26, 2019 8:28 PM
Feb 2017
That's a hard no from MAL, lmao.

If I could do one of those tier lists, it would definitely show the differences between all my shows.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Does your first ever favourite anime(s) still holds a place in your favs?

NubFix - 7 hours ago

30 by iiKonata »»
54 seconds ago

» What anime do a lot of people consider to be one of the greatest that you think is just good? ( 1 2 )

arinthach - Yesterday

54 by IKKIsama »»
2 minutes ago

» Anime that low-testosterone males can't comprehend ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

74 by Otakupervert890 »»
13 minutes ago

Poll: » Spring 2024 my fav anime lineup yet! What is your fav series that is going under the radar?

rohan121 - 6 hours ago

10 by Zettaiken »»
21 minutes ago

» Please recommend anime that has plot/tone sci-fi + fantasy?

Donkunsan - 11 hours ago

10 by Zettaiken »»
31 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.