Forum Settings
Forums

"Gaming Disorder" to officially be in ICD-11

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jun 4, 2019 1:40 PM

Jan 2009
@-InfiniteLoop-

You might not find it useful but doctors might. That's like saying lets put all types of cancer under one label, after all the root cause is the abnormal growth cells. Yes, I know it's an apples to orange scenario. I'm being hyperbolic to get the point across.

The point is, if we generalize we may not be able to effectively treat it. With specific labels we can specialize the treatment depending on the type of addiction.

take a look at the examples i provided with schizophrenia and autism, they change it to autism spectrum disorder now and schizophrenia alone does not have the 5 types anymore like paranoid schizophrenia that i was first diagnose with since all of schizophrenia treatments are the same anyway so the 5 types for it is useless and worse they either overlap in symptoms or misdiagnose with other psychotic illnesses or even there are other schizophrenia not part of the 5 types so its not very helpful for the psychiatrists themselves and now they want all psychotic illness not just schizophrenia to become a psychosis spectrum disorder too
Jun 4, 2019 1:41 PM

Nov 2016
-InfiniteLoop- said:
Based on the title I had no interest in this thread but the opening post was surprisingly well written so I decided to reply. Nice post OP.

Bara_no_Uta said:

We also have to consider that even with the most objective and clear-cut criteria, there are professionals with their own biases. I work in the mental health field, and I've absolutely seen professionals who already think that gaming is bad and inherently causes people to neglect their responsibilities, family, and social life.

Gaming isn't inherently bad however due to the capitalistic mindset of companies many have optimized their games to promote addictive behavior. Since you work in the mental health field you might be aware of the fact that companies hire expert psychologist to subtly incorporate tactics that make people addicted.
The autoplay of the next youtube video, the algorithm of Facebook that is skewed to show more post that might bring out stronger emotions such as outrage rather that happiness, the infinite scrolling of webpages preventing a stopping point which causes people to mindless scroll pages etc are all examples of subtle but significant changes that promote addictive behavior.

Plus, ICD doesn't have "social media disorder," yet what about the parents who ignore their crying children to scroll through Facebook/whatever?

Social Media disorder should be added, in fact it affects a larger proportion of the population than video games. Like I said above, that infinite scrolling is addictive. If the page stopped and the parent had to consciously decide to press the next page button they might think "Hey let me attend to my crying kid before going to the next page". The next page button would be akin to chapters that exist in books.
traed said:
I am not convinced there is any advantage to giving special labels for specific psychological addictions. A blanket label would do fine.

deg said:
just make addiction to addiction spectrum disorder too and be done with it lol

You might not find it useful but doctors might. That's like saying lets put all types of cancer under one label, after all the root cause is the abnormal growth cells. Yes, I know it's an apples to orange scenario. I'm being hyperbolic to get the point across.

The point is, if we generalize we may not be able to effectively treat it. With specific labels we can specialize the treatment depending on the type of addiction.
xaow said:
a step in the right direction. Addiction to things like dopamine feedback loops and decreasing attention spans as well as a direct increase in instances of mental health issues in younger generations that directly correlate to the emergence of social media still need to be adressed.

This guy gets it
Yarub said:
This is nothing to be proud of. Considering a phenomenon that is not clinical as a disorder is equivalent to putting fuel to fire. Since the problems mainly resides in parents that fail to provide their children with enough motivation to do anything, and pay them to stay at home and play games all night long. This is not equivalent to drug addiction because it does not directly stimulate the brain in its own way.
Prevention is the best cure. When the person reaches this disorder, his life would be wasted regardless as he would try combating it every waking second.

The issue is it's not just kids but even adult who fall into this addiction. Once you fall into the feedback loop it becomes difficult to escape it yourself.
Regarding your brain simulation part, some games are designed from scratch with the assistance of psychologist to be as addictive as possible. It creates a dopamine feedback loop.
I disagree with you that once someone reaches the disorder his life would be wasted. It's the duty of doctors to try to save people, you can't give up on such people so easily. We have to try helping them. Also if a child had neglectful parents that doesn't mean we should just blame the parents and not try to help the child. Not everyone is fortunate to have good parents.

Salvatia said:
video games just an activity that requires moderation like all things, not a disease ffs.

No one said playing in moderation is a disease. The disorder is when one is unable to regulate themselves to playing in moderation.

SpamuraiSensei said:
So.. what about professional gamers then? They probably play more than anyone, but have made a career out of it.

Professional gamers don't wish to stop though, the issue arises when normal people realize the adverse reactions excess video games is causing them and are still unable to stop. If a professional gamer wishes to stop gaming but is physically unable to stop then yes they can also be classified as addicted.

If an alcoholic doesn't wish to stop, we'd still consider them addicted.

Mmm.. Professionals can't stop. That's their job. Getting paid to do something is a great excuse to keep playing. There's a risk of developing deep vein thrombosis and other health complications from sitting and gaming for so long.

In order to stay competitive, it's required for them to game excessively.
Jun 4, 2019 1:47 PM

Jan 2009
im not sure professional gamers should be included since they are not that socially dysfunctional considering they have that high paying job to begin with so they are productive members of society

and its even common to hear professional gamers complaining like even doing suicide because of too much stress from gaming?
Jun 4, 2019 2:33 PM

Mar 2008
-InfiniteLoop- said:

traed said:
I am not convinced there is any advantage to giving special labels for specific psychological addictions. A blanket label would do fine.

deg said:
just make addiction to addiction spectrum disorder too and be done with it lol

It's only useful if the ICD lists treatment protocol special for each type otherwise not really.
Jun 4, 2019 4:43 PM

May 2016
deg said:
HyperL said:
Why is anything that's not a literal deviation from normal neural behavior being considered a disorder in the first place?

because it is though? addiction to anything is real and to me its obviously because of capitalism too which goal is to maximize profit so this businesses like the game industry designs their products to be addicted in the first place for example loot boxes (which is a form of gambling) addiction is real

Yes, addiction is real. Doesn't mean there's something wrong with the persons brain, which I feel should be the crux in deciding what's a mental disorder.

Besides, gaming addiction was a thing way before loot boxes and microtransactions, and I wouldn't blame capitalism for making a good ass game.
You are not your body, you are your brain, the "self" that emerges from within it.
Jun 4, 2019 7:54 PM

Jun 2010
[quote=HyperL message=57750116][quote=deg]
HyperL said:

Besides, gaming addiction was a thing way before loot boxes and microtransactions, and I wouldn't blame capitalism for making a good ass game.

Very much this. It's more than a little strange with all these silly anti-capitalist axes being ground here in this topic.
Jun 4, 2019 7:59 PM

Jan 2009
James_xeno said:
HyperL said:

Very much this. It's more than a little strange with all these silly anti-capitalist axes being ground here in this topic.

im not really anti-capitalists more like i want social capitalism more because i know that capitalism is prone to greed heck even google removes its "do not be evil" motto now just for the sake of making more profit

and loot boxes are just modern examples of how to make gamers addicted because obviously a well designed addicted game can do the trick way before the internet is born
Jun 5, 2019 1:31 AM

Jun 2016
Just add it to my list of diagnosed issues, then.
Jun 5, 2019 3:46 AM

Nov 2018
I also have mixed feeling about it.
Some people made it their career and/or a way to make money. Just looking at Twitch streamers who stream themselves playing games most of the day almost every day. E-sport players play hours every day to practice for their professional games, cause that's the way they are making money to be able to live.

Video game addiction is a very serious issue world wide, some people can't control themselves and spend way too much time playing games, abandoning their family, job and other important things they should be doing. There been cases where people died already from binge playing video games tens of hours without stopping for eating, drinking or sleeping.

In some cases I would say it can be classified as a disorder, but most of the time it's not that serious.

Guess it's another disorder for me too I guess, huh.
Jun 5, 2019 3:41 PM

Nov 2009
Only_Brad said:
and this is why "world health organisations" aren't to be taken seriously. Their decisions is politically motivated and not scientifically.
Ah yes, the anti-gamer agenda famous among politicians.

Rise up!
Jun 6, 2019 1:24 AM

Sep 2012
no matter how hard they try, gangweed won't be kept down.

Oh maybe, maybe it's the clothes we wear
The tasteless bracelets and the dye in our hair
Or maybe, maybe it's our nowhere towns or our nothing places
But we're trash, you and me
We're the litter on the breeze
We're the lovers on the streets
Just trash, me and you
It's in everything we do
It's in everything we do

Jun 15, 2019 10:45 AM
Jul 2018
Tell them to bring me my money
Jun 18, 2019 9:35 PM

Feb 2019
cant wait to get that handicap parking lets gooooo
"try our $1 coffee, on foenem"
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.