Forum Settings
Forums
Must be a Club Member to Reply 
May 23, 7:21 PM

The Clash of Spring 2019 Unsupported Shows

Salutations everyone and welcome to our second running of The Clash.
Last season in our debut season of the feature we did see some fanfare for the feature, thus we are hoping to build on that.
Nominations are open until May 31st

The format will work like this.
First there will be a nomination phase between shows with 50-10k entries in their first cour.
The top 6 shows will qualify for a tournament
The winner of that tournament will be given a spotlight to help encourage more people to watch that show.
If the show is beyond its first season, the spotlight can be the first season but that will be decided by who can attend.

Each person will be able to nominate up to three of the eligible shows. Each nomination will be one point but if you are currently watching the show and leave a positive comment then that show will get two points. Your positive comments then will be featured during the tournament for that show.

Here is the list of eligible shows

Nomination Format

Nomination 1:
Optional Positive Comment:

Nomination 2:

Nomination 3:
Modified by Hibbington, Jul 4, 10:39 AM

May 23, 8:12 PM
Angel of Dreams

Nomination 1:Kono Oto Tomare
Optional Positive Comment: They characters work well off each other. The animation is stunning and music is beautiful. 10 out of 10. One of my favorites this season.(Watching)

Nomination 2:Sarazanmai
Optional Positive Comment:Has a fun wacky them and the art style is very nice. The songs are catchy too.
(Watching)

May 23, 8:38 PM

Nomination 1: Kono Oto Tomare!
Optional Positive Comment: This show can be considered a typical school anime. Nevertheless, the plot and the characters' relationship make of it a memorable and charming show.

Nomination 2: Sarazanmai
Optional Positive Comment: The first episode is a big shock but the irrationalism will start to make sense later. The way they portray the emotions is very original. Girls: there's some fujo material too.

Nomination 3: RobiHachi
Optional Positive Comment: It has been a while since I've seen a show like this. It is funny and entertaining. It shows that sci-fi can also have a good comedy dose.

May 24, 2:45 AM

Nomination 1: Sarazanmai
Optional Positive Comment: Its really no wonder that Ikuhara's show doesn't gather large audience. His shows are very unique and you need to read between lines and pay attention to lot of details to understand the plot and symbolism behind it, but its worth it.

Nomination 2: Kono Oto Tomare!
Optional Positive Comment: Very strong character development, so the most important element of club series was realized. Likeable and deep characters are all that I need from this anime.

Nomination 3: Gunjou no Magmel
Optional Positive Comment: The episodic approach with various punchlines was a hit for this series. Inyou has interesting psychology behind his behaviours.

May 24, 3:17 AM

Nomination 1: Joshikausei
Optional Positive Comment: It's very funny and the episodes are actually paced well for a 3 minute show which can be hard to do. I don't really understand the no dialogue gimmick but it isn't a hindrance.

Nomination 2: N/A
Optional Positive Comment: N/A

Nomination 3: N/A
Optional Positive Comment: N/A

I'm watching a few other shows on the list but nothing I'd seriously recommend to people of this club so I'll leave the last 2 nominations blank.

May 25, 4:55 AM

Nomination 1: Kono Oto Tomare
Optional Positive Comment: A heavily melodramatic show that balances between being serious at times and comedic at other times. The characters bounce well of one another, which in turn both creates and solves conflicts. Good backstories. Good ship. Nice animation. Also, the show goes a long way to respect and honor the koto, which I like.

Optional Positive Comment: This show is really weird and I love it! Not sure if there is a deeper message or just random bullshit, but it's pretty damn entertaining nevertheless. Background information about the characters is recurrently being revealed in interesting ways, which repeatedly makes me change my perspective on them. Also, the animation is really slick and the insert songs are jams.

Optional Positive Comment: An episodic show where each individual episode consistently have a moral (not counting the filler episodes). The main characters feel unique and make me want to learn more about them and their backstories. The animation is average. The only big downside is that the few filler episodes are extremely bad.

May 25, 8:39 AM

Optional Positive Comment: Great drama, likeable characters, good music, top of my PRC list/class, what more do you want?

Optional Positive Comment: If crazy imagery and arm chair psychology is your thing, the wackiness of Sarazanmai will appeal to you. Personally, I really enjoy the deliberate pacing and persistent character development.

Optional Positive Comment: The other "weird humor" show of the season, RobiHachi is more pure gags and entertainment. There's been a few references to the director's other works, so that's also fun.

May 25, 10:25 AM

Optional Positive Comment: Don't even know why this is so low tbh. in terms of score. To me it's the 2nd best Show of the season and on some days it's the best. Great Drama, great SoL, likeable characters everything is here.

Optional Positive Comment: Welp it's a weird show, after a lot of episodic stuff this show recently finally get's into it's own.

Optional Positive Comment: Got a bit repetitive lately, but still realyl wacky comedy, with also likable characters and an off-beat approach to a buddy cop show.

May 25, 6:52 PM

Nomination 1: Kono Oto Tomare!
Optional Positive Comment: The stories are great, The development of the characters is well made.

Optional Positive Comment: The first episode might trow you off a little bit but everything makes sense afterwards and for me is so interesting it has some deep stuff in it and I love that. Also the songs are catchy (at least for me)

The episodes that follow the storyline are so interesting and you want to know more about the characters. Most o fthe others are good and they have a moral in them.

(It was hard to choose if I have more spaces I will put RobiHachi and Mayonaka they are great you should watch them)
How long am I going to keep making wishes that can never be granted-Natsume Yujinchou

May 25, 9:04 PM

Nomination 1: Kono Oto Tomare! (Watching)
Optional Positive Comment: Nothing original here, but that doesn't mean it's not great. This is a great example of execution mattering more than originality.

Optional Positive Comment: Why wouldn't I vote for the acid trip

May 26, 4:09 AM

Nomination 1: Mayonaka
Optional Positive Comment: One of the few folklore shows that are able to diversely portray folklore and put in a loosely tied plot along with it

Nomination 2: Robihachi
Optional Positive Comment: Extremely underrated comedy that's pushed around by the likes of OPM which gives it a lot less popularity than it deserves.

Nomination 3: Mix
Optional Positive Comment: Written by the legendary baseball manga writer Adachi Mitsuru, Mix stands out despite being written by someone who's more of a classic writer on manga like Touch and Cross Game. This series deserves a lot more love for its cute characters and fun comedic moments.

P.S: Not voting Sarazanmai and KoT coz these are shows that are EXTREMELY POPULAR in AG, but just so happen to not be popular in MAL as a whole so not gonna be stupid and ignore these ACTUAL underrated shows.

I like Sarazan and KoT but am not dumb enough to believe these are underrated or underrepresented in AG just like Kaze ga Tsuyoku Fuiteryu last season.
Modified by Yasaal, May 29, 6:11 AM

May 29, 5:07 AM

Nomination 1: Kono Yo no Hate de Koi wo Utau Shoujo YU-NO

"Anyone who's been hearing the bad rap this has been getting will probably be confused as to why I'm advocating for this. I'll admit, this is probably far inferior to the original VN and it's squeezing so much in that it only has time for plot and very little else. But where it does develop character (admittedly sparse and purely for plot), I thought it did it phenomenally. MC is inconsistent though... like you wouldn't believe buuuut... he's pretty entertaining to watch."

Nomination 2: Mayonaka no Occult Koumuin

"I'm curious to know how well received this would be to a wider audience. You know what? This is like MahoYome meets Natsume Yuujinchou at the workplace as there are both western and Japanese yokai alike. It's got a boppin' OP and the characters are growing on me. Also, it's an episodic executed to seem like a continuous story."

"This is bombastic and funny in that overly kiddy way. It's an episodic kid's show through and through but it's a lot of fun to watch once you get into the meat of each episode's seemingly random themes. Despite not being a top of the line show, this is a perfect one for blindly enjoying in a simulcast with other people!"

Finally, I want to bring everyone's attention to Mix: Meisei Story. Although ineligible for nominations by falling short of the member count (at 8.5k members) this is undoubtedly the most underrated show this season has to offer.

The setup and the plot is simple, but with a quirky narrator and a cast full of colourful personalities who aren't afraid to interact with each other and does so incredibly naturally.

Are you put off by there being too much baseball in Diamond no Ace? Choose Mix. Are the Hachigatsu no Cinderella Nine characters giving you a headache? Mix. Do you want character and spicy backstories? Mix. (Look, I know Sarazanmai does that too but the way they do it is completely different and I'd say they're on par with each other on that front.)

Oh, also, Mix is severely underrated. Did I already tell you that Mix is severely underrated? Huh? I've already said it three times? Nonsense, three times is not enough to tell you how underrated this gem is.

Yasaal said:
portray folklore and put in a lightly tight plot along with it.

Did you mean: "tightly knit plot"

May 29, 10:01 AM

Nomination 1: Diamond no Ace: Act II
Great show with great characters anyone can get behind and root for. One of the best sports anime out there that I've had the pleasure of watching.

Nomination 2: Mayonaka no Occult Koumuin
If you are a fan of folklore this should tickle your fancy. Takes a bit to get into but once you are in it's easy to follow along. Personally wasn't expecting much but so far pleasantly surprised.

Nomination 3: Nobunaga-sensei no Osanazuma
Guilty pleasure. Checks all the boxes for me. If you want an Ecchi Harem RomCom Anime Short look no further than this.

May 29, 6:09 PM

Optional Positive Comment: One of my fav shows this season, deep and relatable characters with good backstory, a ton of character development, great interactions, good drama.

Optional Positive Comment: A little repetitive imo but great symbolism and fleshed out characters.

Nomination 3: Kono Yo no Hate de Koi wo Utau Shoujo YU-NO
Optional Positive Comment: Started pretty bad but I feel like this is getting a bit better recently. They try explaining their time travel theory and some of the weird stuff happening and the mc's interactions with some of the chars are pretty entertaining.

"I used to think he was the insecure type who isn't capable of having big dreams. But that's not right. He's the type to have countless smaller dreams that he can achieve perfectly, one by one. They may be small individually, but as they keep coming true, they quickly become one huge dream."