Forum Settings
Forums
New
Do you meditate/practice mindfulness ?
May 23, 2019 5:19 PM

Jul 2012
After my last topic about thoughts I'm really curious on knowing , if a good amount of people on MAL meditate.

For those who consistently meditate what have your benefits been? Do you live more in the present outside of a seated meditation practice ?

For those who tried it but didn't continue what made you stop ?

Also has meditation or mindfulness done a good job at quieting your thoughts ?
Do you some of you find yourself naturally mindful (aka being more in the present than living in your head )?
May 23, 2019 5:31 PM

Aug 2012
I tried to meditate for sometime a few years back. It just didn't work for me at all. I'd say it is the effect of stillness that really kills it for me. I can think of the intricacies of anything in the comfort of my own desk. I do nothing and as such thoughts come to mind. To me, when I meditate particularly, I am in my mind doing something. Well, not to an overseer, but I am staying still on purpose, breathing regularly on purpose, thinking on purpose. This kills the atmosphere and I end up either sleeping or reaching towards my phone for stimulation.
May 23, 2019 5:38 PM

Jan 2009
i stop trying since for someone that got auditory hallucinations and intrusive thoughts its just damn hard, thats why i just distract myself like being a netizen
May 23, 2019 5:50 PM

Jul 2012
Yarub said:
I tried to meditate for sometime a few years back. It just didn't work for me at all. I'd say it is the effect of stillness that really kills it for me. I can think of the intricacies of anything in the comfort of my own desk. I do nothing and as such thoughts come to mind. To me, when I meditate particularly, I am in my mind doing something. Well, not to an overseer, but I am staying still on purpose, breathing regularly on purpose, thinking on purpose. This kills the atmosphere and I end up either sleeping or reaching towards my phone for stimulation.

Lol I understand this , especially the breathing on purpose part. I kind of just accepted that after a long time trying to figure out how to get over it. I learned that tons of people , if not everyone does that when first starting out. Many said it took them months before the manipulation of breath stopped. I also get the whole thinking on purpose thing from time to time and sometimes its annoying

Are there other things that help you clear your mind in the place of meditation ?
When you play video games or watch movies do your thoughts bother you ?
I'm asking because watching movies and playing video games to me seem like another form of meditation to me at least ( although some call it escapism , although video games have been proven to improve concentration)
May 23, 2019 5:54 PM
Jul 2018
Once to three times a week, I come home, go jogging for like 20 minutes, shower, maybe eat some fruits and then just do nothing for another 20 minutes.
Running alone clears the mind a lot and then doing nothing and not being under stimulus satiation all the time, is really great. After that, I'm enjoying studying more or stuff I read or watch.
It's actually proved that sport and meditating releases endorphines and is good for your mental health to regenerate energy.
removed-userMay 23, 2019 5:57 PM
May 23, 2019 5:59 PM

Jul 2012
Maneki-Mew said:
Once to three times a week, I come home, go jogging for like 20 minutes, shower, maybe eat some fruits and then just do nothing for another 20 minutes.
Running alone clears the mind a lot and then doing nothing and not being under stimulus satiation all the time, is really great. After that, I'm enjoying studying more or stuff I read or watch.
It's actually proved that sport and meditating releases endorphines and is god for your mental health to regenerate energy.

110% agree with the cognitive benefits of sports and exercising. Been participating in sports all my life and when I when I stopped playing during college for a little , I felt the difference. Cardio exercise is great for the body as is weight training etc.

What have been the major benefits you've personally witnessed to having a clearer mind ? Has meditation impacted your motivation in a good way ? You said you read after as well do you notice better retention and focus ? Also do you have constant inner monologue or think more so images ?
Amon-RawMay 23, 2019 6:05 PM
May 23, 2019 6:01 PM

Aug 2012
Amon-Raw said:
Yarub said:

Are there other things that help you clear your mind in the place of meditation ?
When you play video games or watch movies do your thoughts bother you ?
I'm asking because watching movies and playing video games to me seem like another form of meditation to me at least ( although some call it escapism , although video games have been proven to improve concentration)

No, not really. When I play a game, I invest myself in it. Same with movies and other media. I do not pass time passively watching things so I don't really think when I partake in them. However, I do find restfulness in hearing people talk of things. When I overhear them, it's like ASMR and I get consumed into the conversation that I've never been part of. I would think about the things I would say if I was part of it.

But when all fails and I need to do something to reset my brain, I'd go with sleep/nap.
May 23, 2019 6:10 PM

Jan 2009
prayers also work like a meditation they say, so if you are religious or just spiritual then worth a try
May 23, 2019 6:30 PM
Jul 2018
Amon-Raw said:
Maneki-Mew said:
It's actually proved that sport and meditating releases endorphines and is god for your mental health to regenerate energy.

110% agree with the cognitive benefits of sports and exercising. Been participating in sports all my life and when I when I stopped playing during college for a little , I felt the difference. Cardio exercise is great for the body as is weight training etc.

What have been the major benefits you've personally witnessed to having a clearer mind ? Has meditation impacted your motivation in a good way ? You said you read after as well do you notice better retention and focus ? Also do you have constant inner monologue or think more so images ?

Normally, I don't even like sports / I'm very unathletic, but lol... that was strange. I watched Soul Eater back then and there was Maka's quote of "a sound soul dwells with a sound mind a sound body" at the beginning of every episode. I felt like (more) shit in my body that time. And then, my sports teacher asked me, if it would hurt to try a little bit of running. So, I tried it and Maka wasn't wrong haha
I also tried fitniss center, but since I live near a river and parks, it's nice to running there a little bit and just run inside in winter, if any. You could other stuff, too.

Think so, even without doing sports, I try to sit there and think of nothing or lie down without napping. Thinking of nothing actually is pretty difficult at first, because I was and I am used to have thousands thoughts at once in my mind, which are both, monologues and images. It depends on how they could be expressed more accuratly, maybe? You?

Yes, you learn faster and you can focus more. It also brings more joy, at least to me. If you don't view studying as a stressing and uncomfortable duty, it's easier to remember too. I often was nervous before exams, but it became better as well.
removed-userMay 23, 2019 6:44 PM
May 23, 2019 7:18 PM
Oct 2018
I've kinda tried it but not really seriously.
Some say it's changing/changed their life

--
May 23, 2019 7:29 PM

Jul 2012
Maneki-Mew said:
Amon-Raw said:

Normally, I don't even like sports / I'm very unathletic, but lol... that was strange. I watched Soul Eater back then and there was Maka's quote of "a sound soul dwells with a sound mind a sound body" at the beginning of every episode. I felt like (more) shit in my body that time. And then, my sports teacher asked me, if it would hurt to try a little bit of running. So, I tried it and Maka wasn't wrong haha
I also tried fitniss center, but since I live near a river and parks, it's nice to running there a little bit and just run inside in winter, if any. You could other stuff, too.

Think so, even without doing sports, I try to sit there and think of nothing or lie down without napping. Thinking of nothing actually is pretty difficult at first, because I was and I am used to have thousands thoughts at once in my mind, which are both, monologues and images. It depends on how they could be expressed more accuratly, maybe? You?

Yes, you learn faster and you can focus more. It also brings more joy, at least to me. If you don't view studying as a stressing and uncomfortable duty, it's easier to remember too. I often was nervous before exams, but it became better as well.

That's so cool how a single quote from Soul Eater motivated you , I like hearing stories like that and soul eater is one of my favorite anime it's a classic gem to me.
For me its the same sometimes more images(and the feelings I get from them) than monologues though , then sometimes I just find myself not thinking of anything.

Do you think the ability to have a quieter mind and being present is what brings about more joy for you ? or do you just get a "feeling" of joy after meditation ?
Also do you see reading as a form of meditation as well for yourself?
May 23, 2019 9:05 PM

Apr 2019
I don't think it qualifies as meditation but I take time out of my week to put on headphones and listen to binaural beats. Helps me focus when I have things I need to do.

大好き "I just want to be an ancient demigod loli"
May 23, 2019 9:11 PM

Mar 2008
I keep intending to but never manage to regularly do it. There are many kinds and I want to do several forms to obtain multiple goals.
May 23, 2019 9:14 PM

Mar 2011
Hm, I'm never sure if I do meditate cause when I try I'm not sure if I am meditating. Does that make sense? I attempt at it but the only thing that keeps my mind clear is driving, and that is counter-productive for practical reasons.
"In the end the World really doesn't need a Superman. Just a Brave one"
May 23, 2019 9:18 PM

Feb 2013
Haven't in a while since I've been listening to more podcasts in my free time. Rosary beads + mantra worked well for me. I didn't desperately try to empty my mind, but instead simplified my thoughts to just that mantra... and that was enough to give me a nice spiritual high for the afternoon.
May 23, 2019 9:43 PM

Jul 2012
Daddy-O said:
Haven't in a while since I've been listening to more podcasts in my free time. Rosary beads + mantra worked well for me. I didn't desperately try to empty my mind, but instead simplified my thoughts to just that mantra... and that was enough to give me a nice spiritual high for the afternoon.

Would really like to pick at your brain as someone who's really into their faith at least from what I'm reading and your pics.
I also used to pray the rosary a lot and pray for 2 hours+ at times.
I'm curious to know if prayer makes your mind quiet or do you have constant thoughts throughout the day ? Are your thoughts images or a monologue ?
I think that prayer and the rosary was so big for me that just doing breath meditation doesn't seem like much idk it's hard to explain.
May 23, 2019 10:07 PM

Mar 2008
Speaking of mantras I have done mantras before and leep track using my fingers to count to over 100. Not as hard as it sounds.
May 24, 2019 1:58 AM

Aug 2016
Y I meditate sometimes, find it interesting
recently reading a book about different methods

Meditating of the color green (for example) is good for your eyes, it heals them
up if your spending a lot of time in front of the phone and all
May 24, 2019 10:57 AM

Jul 2012
Bara_no_Uta said:
I practice mindfulness through physical activity or otherwise being outdoors. For me, I need to feel something physical to stay grounded in the present. Taking a walk on a nature trail allows me to be pretty mindful.

This works really well for me as well. Has that sense of being grounded/mindful followed you throughout the day ?
May 24, 2019 2:13 PM

Feb 2013
Amon-Raw said:
Daddy-O said:

Would really like to pick at your brain as someone who's really into their faith at least from what I'm reading and your pics.
I also used to pray the rosary a lot and pray for 2 hours+ at times.
I'm curious to know if prayer makes your mind quiet or do you have constant thoughts throughout the day ? Are your thoughts images or a monologue ?
I think that prayer and the rosary was so big for me that just doing breath meditation doesn't seem like much idk it's hard to explain.
Post-meditation I would have a kind of heightened awareness. I would see things more vividly, and my thoughts would be more reflections on the present moment... rather than my usual inner monologues on esoteric topics and personal troubles. This meditation wasn't quite what I would term prayer, but meditation in the Hindu style. Prayer, in which I attempt to converse with God, instead gives me a mindset of deeper understanding and comfort with my place in creation.
May 24, 2019 2:43 PM

Jul 2012
Daddy-O said:
Post-meditation I would have a kind of heightened awareness. I would see things more vividly, and my thoughts would be more reflections on the present moment... rather than my usual inner monologues on esoteric topics and personal troubles. This meditation wasn't quite what I would term prayer, but meditation in the Hindu style. Prayer, in which I attempt to converse with God, instead gives me a mindset of deeper understanding and comfort with my place in creation.

What was the meditation you did ? Because you talked about doing mantra meditation.
What are the instructions? I'm really interested in trying it.

Also did you ever try mindfulness based meditation (mindfulness of breath , body scan , etc) and how was your experience ?
May 24, 2019 8:59 PM

Mar 2008
One method I used occasionally is I go for a run till I run out of breath then meditate focusing on my breathing. Pretty easy to focus on breathing when you're out of breath.
May 24, 2019 9:13 PM

Jul 2012
traed said:
One method I used occasionally is I go for a run till I run out of breath then meditate focusing on my breathing. Pretty easy to focus on breathing when you're out of breath.

I heard people using this method I have yet to try it despite me exercising so much , it makes a lot of sense. Do you feel more present after doing this ?
May 24, 2019 9:16 PM
Oct 2018
Nope. I have tried it many years ago 😤
May 24, 2019 9:23 PM

Mar 2008
Amon-Raw said:
traed said:

I heard people using this method I have yet to try it despite me exercising so much , it makes a lot of sense. Do you feel more present after doing this ?

Well present in my breath. Doesn't seem to open awareness to the world around me untill after I caught my breath for a moment. I wouldn't say it's best method though just good to start being used to it.

I also find meditating in high heat easier as well and it's even better with cicadas making noise because it's quite good at drowning out noisy thoughts for me.

I've also tried forcing myself to tolerate a cold shower for several minutes and that's more challenging but also easy to focus on the task at hand since it's a real shock to the nervous system.
May 25, 2019 12:11 AM
Jul 2018
i meditate, im not sure what you mean by "practicing mindfulness" though

gotta learn that 100-type guanyin bodhisattva
May 25, 2019 1:03 AM

Aug 2018
-cmmmm0 said:
Y I meditate sometimes, find it interesting
recently reading a book about different methods

Meditating of the color green (for example) is good for your eyes, it heals them
up if your spending a lot of time in front of the phone and all

how does it work? do you look at a green screen for 30 min? (curious)
May 25, 2019 1:08 AM

Aug 2018
traed said:
Amon-Raw said:

Well present in my breath. Doesn't seem to open awareness to the world around me untill after I caught my breath for a moment. I wouldn't say it's best method though just good to start being used to it.

I also find meditating in high heat easier as well and it's even better with cicadas making noise because it's quite good at drowning out noisy thoughts for me.

I've also tried forcing myself to tolerate a cold shower for several minutes and that's more challenging but also easy to focus on the task at hand since it's a real shock to the nervous system.
Ive also tried it a couple of times. Always been too exhausted so that i cant focus lol
May 25, 2019 1:11 AM

Aug 2018
I mostly meditate when i am really stressed or when i cant sleep. I sit upright, shut my eyes, and just focus on my breathing for about 5-10 min. works really well for me
May 25, 2019 1:16 AM

Aug 2016

Close your eyes and image the color. Or you also get the same
effect while looking at a green field for about 5min
May 25, 2019 5:03 AM

Sep 2012
I haven't meditated since primary school, but sometimes I consciously act on being mindful in day to day life.
May 25, 2019 12:25 PM

Jul 2012
Mookster said:
I haven't meditated since primary school, but sometimes I consciously act on being mindful in day to day life.

What some things throughout the day that you do to be mindful or more in the present ? and what does mindfulness mean to you personally ? Do you feel any benefits from doing so ?
May 25, 2019 1:08 PM

Mar 2008
Kled11 said:
I mostly meditate when i am really stressed or when i cant sleep. I sit upright, shut my eyes, and just focus on my breathing for about 5-10 min. works really well for me

I find eyes open easier for visualization for some reason.
May 25, 2019 1:24 PM

Mar 2011
traed said:
Kled11 said:

Risky, how do you maintain your eyes?
I've only done that once but it did some "mild stress" on them. Had to use eye drops for 2 days and take omega supplements for 3.
"In the end the World really doesn't need a Superman. Just a Brave one"
May 25, 2019 1:52 PM

Mar 2008
Silverstorm said:
traed said:

Risky, how do you maintain your eyes?
I've only done that once but it did some "mild stress" on them. Had to use eye drops for 2 days and take omega supplements for 3.

It's not a staring contest lol you blink normally and just have your focus blurred from looking beyond objects you see.
May 26, 2019 4:22 AM

Oct 2014
Yeah I mediate and clear my mind by praying to the one true G-d 5 times a day.
May 26, 2019 4:23 AM

Jul 2015
does sunbathing alone in peace w/ much quiet
count?
May 26, 2019 5:43 AM
Cat Hater

Feb 2017
Yes, mostly sexual ones but sometimes I do the basic as well as few of the more advanced.

deg said:
prayers also work like a meditation they say, so if you are religious or just spiritual then worth a try

Prayers and meditation are completely different things.
May 26, 2019 5:48 AM

Jan 2009
149597871 said:

deg said:

im too lazy to google where i read the sameness of them so i just concede to that

EDIT:

ok i googled it but i cannot find the exact research article about it but this will do i guess
"other forms of meditation, including deep religious prayer"
https://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2018/04/harvard-researchers-study-how-mindfulness-may-change-the-brain-in-depressed-patients/
degMay 26, 2019 6:17 AM
May 26, 2019 6:49 AM

Jun 2015
149597871 said:
Yes, mostly sexual ones but sometimes I do the basic as well as few of the more advanced.

deg said:

prayer is a form of meditation. So is staring out the window on a long car ride and loosing track of time.

OT: yes.
May 26, 2019 7:12 AM
Cat Hater

Feb 2017
xaow said:
149597871 said:

prayer is a form of meditation. So is staring out the window on a long car ride and loosing track of time.

No. Prayer is a RH practice intended to manipulate energy using another entity's will. Meditation is about one's own mind/will. Unless of course you are using some corrupted definition of the word.
May 26, 2019 8:01 AM

Jun 2015
149597871 said:
xaow said:

No. Prayer is a RH practice intended to manipulate energy using another entity's will. Meditation is about one's own mind/will. Unless of course you are using some corrupted definition of the word.

I don't personally believe in supernatural entities or "manipulating energy using another entities will". So it looks like we'll have to agree to disagree.
May 26, 2019 8:48 AM
Jul 2018
No, I just sleep, like any normal person, and I don't have that much extra time on pointless shit like "meditation".
May 26, 2019 8:50 AM

Nov 2013
i use the headspace app every now and again if that counts? i'm not really consistent with it though and just use it when i feel like i need a method to relax
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
May 26, 2019 3:31 PM

Mar 2008
BallistikJuice said:
No, I just sleep, like any normal person, and I don't have that much extra time on pointless shit like "meditation".

It's not pointless and it's not equivalent of sleeping. It's creating a feedback loop to loosen and strengthen neural connnections. Sleeping just gives your brain a chance to caitch up with what you did in the day.
149597871 said:

Only sexual ones I am aware of are a type of Tantric meditation, OM meditation, and one that I don't know the name of
May 26, 2019 4:03 PM

Aug 2013
I tried it and enjoyed the experience (I felt my ability to remain focused on a particular task improved). Unfortunately, I haven't done it recently.
May 26, 2019 11:43 PM
Cat Hater

Feb 2017
traed said:

149597871 said:

Only sexual ones I am aware of are a type of Tantric meditation, OM meditation, and one that I don't know the name of

I thought "Tantra" and "Om" have a bit broader meaning. Anyway there are practices which may share some core concepts with the Eastern Teachings but that's pretty much it. There are a lot more than those 3 (whatever the 3rd one is). It can be anything from trying to increase your sex drive to achieving orgasm using only your mind or even "summoning" a sexual partner.

I've read some guides about "tantric sex", etc. but all of them seem rather absurd. I don't think there should be a step-by-step guide to begin with, you can't expect the same thing to work for everyone. All you need to do is give people the basics and then they'll figure out what works best.
May 27, 2019 12:26 AM

Mar 2008
149597871 said:
traed said:

I thought "Tantra" and "Om" have a bit broader meaning. Anyway there are practices which may share some core concepts with the Eastern Teachings but that's pretty much it. There are a lot more than those 3 (whatever the 3rd one is). It can be anything from trying to increase your sex drive to achieving orgasm using only your mind or even "summoning" a sexual partner.

I've read some guides about "tantric sex", etc. but all of them seem rather absurd. I don't think there should be a step-by-step guide to begin with, you can't expect the same thing to work for everyone. All you need to do is give people the basics and then they'll figure out what works best.

Yeah Tantra has a blanket meaning. The tantra meditation i mention is basically trying to get your mind in the state it goes in an orgasm.

OM (not om) in this instance is short for orgasmic meditation and basically just is meditative cunnalingus.

The other I mentioned was just to do with increase in sexual stamina and pleasure.

Not saying there is just three just three I know of.

More topics from this board

» Is fanart cheating?

spaceslut - Mar 5, 2023

29 by Absurdo_N »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » strawberry, chocolate or banana milk?

bobbysalmon - Apr 17

21 by Vendicator »»
1 hour ago

» How do you know other people actually exist?

purple_rayn - Yesterday

17 by ISeeLifePeople »»
2 hours ago

» what is "love" to you ? what makes you feel loved and how you love people ?

ame - Today

17 by ISeeLifePeople »»
2 hours ago

» What do you think about law enforcement (police) in your country?

Sad - Apr 16

32 by KenaiPhoenix »»
3 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.