Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
May 23, 2019 3:37 PM

Jan 2009
Comander-07 said:
deg said:

actually MAL just recently reach 6 million users but CrunchyRoll got 40 million users though so MAL has a long way to go
Crunchyroll is a streaming service. MAl is a forum and database. Thats kinda like comparing it to Netflix. That also has anime.

CrunchyRoll got forums and profiles where you can comment and message people if i remember right so its also a social site too that way but ye MAL is more social site
May 23, 2019 3:42 PM

Jun 2008
BestBoiEren said:
imagine wasting time on r/anime, nice joke

I really wish we could rate comments...this one is too damn good.
May 23, 2019 5:59 PM

May 2009
KingShoter007 said:
I wouldn't even bother with /r/anime. Most of reddit is just doomed.

Forums like MAL and image boards like /a/ are the only ones worth using when discussing anything, anime included.
What even does /a/ offer that's noteworthy? Aside from image memes if you're into that stuff I guess.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
May 23, 2019 6:17 PM

Aug 2013
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2014-01-30/miyazaki/the-problem-with-the-anime-industry-is-it-full-of-otaku
"Doubting everything that you take on... That is very important. Open your own eyes, clear out your ears, and look and listen to the world... And think using your own brain. After you've doubted everything, there is a possibility of something real to believe in. To believe in something, doubt everything."

May 23, 2019 6:39 PM

May 2009
KingShoter007 said:
GlennMagusHarvey said:
What even does /a/ offer that's noteworthy? Aside from image memes if you're into that stuff I guess.

A major reason is that's its easy to get into. You can find a thread you like easily (or start one), and comment whatever you want on it without any repercussions.
Here on MAL you have to be careful what you write because everyone can see your username and post history on your profile, but on /a/ you're just another anon.

There are also a lot more diverse threads there than here. I rarely find something I'm interested on MAL that gets new daily posts.

You also get discussions about anime that's mostly ignored on other sites because of their small fanbases, which isn't a problem with /a/ niche tastes.
I watch a number of nicher and out-of-date (but not to the point of being "classics") series so maybe I'll check it out more, thanks.

Main problem with this, though, is that for every famous series there is, there are tens and hundreds of lesser-known series, so it's not like dedicated fans of any particular series will have more luck. r/anime and /a/ share the same problem that they have limited page space for such stuff, and if anything r/anime has the advantage that its topics are clearer. Meanwhile MAL AD just shoves anime-specific threads into their dedicated subforums instead, which is probably the best place to find existing conversation from others about a given show, but is a bad place to get attention from others. I guess if one just wants to post something about their pet series they can, on both r/anime (I can't see any rules against this, so yeah) and /a/, and they'll get more eyeballs than if they post it on MAL, but lurking for stuff for one's pet series isn't exactly any more promising.

Also I'm not sure why one has to be "careful" about what one writes (unless one has a bad habit of shitposting rather than writing up thoughtful posts). Meanwhile, the many layers of jargon as well as irony/exaggeration/memes/etc. that I've seen on /a/ (plus the unintuitive UI, though that can be gotten used to) make it not particularly worth hanging out on except for people who are more into the fandom chatter (particularly among more intense fans, who've probably watched/read more of the random stuff that comes up as topics) than I am (and, it seems, are more into posting reactions to things than I am). But yeah, between the jargon and the UI I'm not really sure how it's "easy to get into".

TL;DR /a/ could be nice for randomly having more topical coverage of more obscure shows, but isn't good for in-depth sit-down discussion

(I don't mean to argue with you; just airing my disagreements I guess.)

Granted, /a/ does feel more informal, like just a "hang out and shoot the shit" kind of place, where you can post even if you don't have fully formed point you wanna say but just wanna express something, like "I found this cool". I guess in that sense it's "easy to get into".

Edit: damnit where is that one thread where someone posted a picture of White Cat from Akashic Records in response? i just saw it like a few minutes ago; this crap isn't built with longevity of any sort in mind is it
GlennMagusHarveyMay 23, 2019 7:01 PM
May 23, 2019 8:02 PM

Mar 2008
All this happened after FOSTA-SESTA. If that US bill were to be reversed the internet might stop such strict anti sexuality rules
May 23, 2019 11:15 PM

Jan 2009
traed said:
All this happened after FOSTA-SESTA. If that US bill were to be reversed the internet might stop such strict anti sexuality rules

lol i already forgot about FOSTA until you mentioned it, and ye this is the main reason why sexual content is kinda being banned around the internet, RIP Tumblr rule34 contents
May 24, 2019 11:40 AM

Sep 2014
deg said:
Comander-07 said:
Crunchyroll is a streaming service. MAl is a forum and database. Thats kinda like comparing it to Netflix. That also has anime.

CrunchyRoll got forums and profiles where you can comment and message people if i remember right so its also a social site too that way but ye MAL is more social site
yes it has, and barely anyone uses it for that. You go to CR to watch anime. You go to MAL to talk about it. Otherwise we could also take some random illegal streaming site.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
May 25, 2019 9:21 AM

Aug 2018
YossaRedMage said:
The omitted pictures aren't even extremely sexual

Yeah, right...

I mean, I love me some anime tatas as much as anyone else, but let's call it like it is.
Some of those posters... holy shit.

May 25, 2019 9:50 AM

Dec 2016
GlennMagusHarvey said:
I looked at it and I basically see an entire frontpage full of stuff about shows I haven't watched (mainly because I haven't watched anything currently airing).

The rule against posting series-specific threads in this forum makes quite a lot of sense in light of that.

Those are just episode discussion threads. MAL has them too, but they are limited to the "anime series discussion" subforum. Subreddits don't have subforums, so they are just on the front page there.

What's the difference?
May 26, 2019 8:45 AM

Apr 2015
I don't see anything more than 'lightly NSFW' in those pictures or that would violate Reddit's rules. No nipples, no lolis. Prudes with power are the worst.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
May 26, 2019 8:57 AM

Apr 2014
i see "r/anime" and i see 115 replies over 3 pages
must be some spicy bbq ribs going on here
May 26, 2019 9:33 AM

May 2009
RedPlaty said:
i see "r/anime" and i see 115 replies over 3 pages
must be some spicy bbq ribs going on here
Enjoy reading! Fortunately some of the replies are pretty quick.
May 27, 2019 5:23 PM
Jul 2018
Don't go to Reddit. Reddit is garbage. It's where the hivemind hangs out to pat each other on the back and rage at everyone they disagree with.
May 27, 2019 5:36 PM

Aug 2018
Aldnox said:
Don't go to Reddit. Reddit is garbage. It's where the hivemind hangs out to pat each other on the back and rage at everyone they disagree with.

No. That is ResetEra, not Reddit...
May 27, 2019 5:43 PM

Nov 2008
Gen_Lightsbane said:
Aldnox said:

ResetEra is also the most inconstant site there is, the enforcement of rules is inconsistent even by far left standards.

May 27, 2019 5:45 PM
Jul 2018
Gen_Lightsbane said:
Aldnox said:

ResetEra is far worse indeed, but at least it's gaming-only and no one really cares about it.
Nov 9, 2019 6:15 AM
Jan 2016
Reddit is garbage social media, the past 3 years it has turned into the same thing as instagram/tumblr. More of the edgy subreddits have all been banned, It's a place for liberal normies to post crappy re-used content for the "PLZ GIVE ME UPDOOTS" WE DID IT LEDDIT.
Nov 9, 2019 8:07 AM
Jul 2018
There is a separate sub-reddit for anime fanart yet they all post on Reddit anime channel for clicks. Makes it annoying to browse.
Nov 9, 2019 9:09 AM

Oct 2008
zal said:
I agree with what they did, even better they should ban all images of female characters.

Nothing personal.
Why are people so butthurt over drawings being naked or masturbating, or even having sexual intercorse. They're 2d, grow up already your embarrassing yourselves. You and everyone else who thinks that these things need censoring, or be flat out removed.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» what's the worst anime you've watched and what exactly was the worst part of it ? ( 1 2 )

ame - Apr 7

66 by 23feanor »»
4 minutes ago

» which antagonist is your fave and which one you cannot JUST TAKE SERIOUSLY ?

ame - 6 hours ago

13 by Otakupervert890 »»
11 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 23

90 by Theo1899 »»
14 minutes ago

» Upcoming Dubbed Anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenny_Stryker - Dec 17, 2017

9069 by anime-prime »»
28 minutes ago

» Why are most current goblins green?

Absurdo_N - Yesterday

19 by Zarutaku »»
29 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.