Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 20, 2019 6:28 AM
May 2014
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
A disaster reveals the true love....the kiss scene is the hallmark of this movie....quite pity for the editor....i wonder the baby is a (handsome)boy or a (unique)girl?
Jul 9, 2019 9:39 PM
May 2019
Hey, I've been looking for this movie for about 8 months now, it's so frustrating that it hasn't come out yet :((. They said that it would be released by June end- July first week, which is not the case. I suggest that you check different sites every week hopefully we'll find it, that's what I'm doing...
Jul 9, 2019 11:40 PM

Jun 2015
fuoph said:
Hey, I've been looking for this movie for about 8 months now, it's so frustrating that it hasn't come out yet :((. They said that it would be released by June end- July first week, which is not the case. I suggest that you check different sites every week hopefully we'll find it, that's what I'm doing...
It might take a few more months considering how long it took the first movie to be available. I even watched it with Italian subs at first considering those came 1 month before the English ones (and no, I don't speak Italian).
Jul 10, 2019 6:41 PM

Dec 2013
I just wanna see the end of the story! I was able to watch the first movie in theaters so I don't know why this is taking so long.
Jul 10, 2019 11:06 PM
May 2019
Unowen said:
fuoph said:
It might take a few more months considering how long it took the first movie to be available. I even watched it with Italian subs at first considering those came 1 month before the English ones (and no, I don't speak Italian).

Yeah, I think so too. It might just come out in October for all we know :/
Aug 15, 2019 2:20 PM
Aug 2019
When will this be with English fun or sub I don't mind. It just I really need watch it and I check all sites still nothing except trailers please let me know
Oct 18, 2019 4:04 PM

Mar 2018
Just watched it and it was lovely. As dramatic as expected (like a good soap opera lol) with a nice ending. I think the first part was more interesting but it was still great. Loved the ending for the princess.
Oct 22, 2019 1:33 AM
Nov 2016
I cant find this movie literally anywhere. I think I might have found it on nyaa.si but i cant download it so I don't really know. It aired last year why is it so hard to find it! I'm so freaking frustrated!?!?
Oct 26, 2019 7:41 PM
May 2016
Gaberwakke said:
I cant find this movie literally anywhere. I think I might have found it on nyaa.si but i cant download it so I don't really know. It aired last year why is it so hard to find it! I'm so freaking frustrated!?!?

I managed to track it down today.

You need to download the movie raw and the subtitles separately.

Raw movie can be found on kickass anime (although they force you to set up an account before downloading)

Subtitles can be found on subscene.
Oct 28, 2019 3:51 PM

Jun 2015
Those subs from subscene made the job nicely, thanks @random_savage. Finding the RAW movie in other sites is easy as well.

Not too convinced with how the movie itself played out, though. The drama of the first half wasn't very interesting, even weirdly rushed at times despite how slow it felt, and the somewhat previsible (because of the cover image itself) depiction of the Kanto Earthquake not nearly as striking as you'd expect. They couldn't conceal the lack of a better budget, and the first movie was clearly better polished overall, despite being largely the set up for this one. At least I'm glad we got an ending and I'll eventually check the 1978 series once it's fully available.
Jan 10, 2020 11:47 AM

Apr 2016
This was as classy as it can get. Also it is because i've seen the first movie so long ago, or did the comedy skyrocketed in the second movie a lot lol ? Anyway happy end! Yeeee, unexpected.

7/10
Jan 17, 2020 11:02 AM
Apr 2011
The first movie was a lot better, as shoujo nearly always is when it's not focused on romance. Benio still a good enough MC to make this decent
Feb 12, 2020 12:29 PM

Feb 2014
some of the decisions benio made were annoying asf and this movie seemed less funny than the first. stilll a decent watch tho
Mar 2, 2020 10:29 AM

Aug 2013
I think the first movie was far better, there were some plot elements I was not fond of in this second movie and the constant change of tone between comedy and sadness was not good aswell in my opinion.

Nonetheless it was still a nice movie and it was great to see Benio remembering the past, everything that happened up to the end, from when she was young and childish to now.

btw I've never seen the original series but if they did something similar about the theme of growing up it must be a nice watch considering it lasts 42 episodes.
Mar 14, 2020 1:56 AM
Jul 2018
First part was better but I think the 42 episode series is a better option for this. More episodes, more and better character interactions, better humour and drama etc. Unfortunately tv series never covered the final manga volumes because it stopped due to poor ratings and also altered the plot in the finale.
second movie is the manga's true finale, though they had to cut some content out too due to time constraints. With this, Nippon Animation does finally the manga justice after 40 years
Mar 24, 2020 4:56 PM

Jul 2015
I didn't like this part as much as the first one.
The whole situation with Larisa felt kind of dumb to be honest, she had al lot of time to confess but waits until the last moment....she could have saved Benio and Shinobu's marriage earlier on but chose her own selfish desire...(I know this is used to create some drama and storyline but it felt poorly executed in my opinion)
I think the story would have been a bit better if it wasn't so quickpaced. I also think Larisa should have done some forms of apology towards Benio because now she only apologies to Shinobu
UnkrownedMar 24, 2020 5:03 PM

Apr 14, 2020 6:17 AM

Dec 2008
Well, this was pitiful.
Not that the first movie was some kind of masterpiece but it had its charms. This on the other hand is devoid of the spirit from its prequel.
Benio deserved better than "I lost my memories and was deceived into becoming a stranger's husband but now I can't leave her alone even if I remembered you because she's too pitiful".
Shinobu was downright pathetic and at some point, I started thinking that maybe choosing the chief would be a better option.
The ending also felt like it was brought by Larisa's death so she gets bonus heaven points for that, I guess.
Jul 22, 2020 9:41 PM
Jun 2013
Kind of weird how the freaking poster for this movie is a shot from the end of the film.
Oct 11, 2020 3:02 AM

May 2016
Dramatic drop in animation quality compared to the first movie.

Second movie feels way too rushed and just... pales in comparison.
Oct 29, 2020 4:18 PM

Apr 2016
The first one was better, honestly. This felt forced in some way and it was less enjoyable overall.
Dec 20, 2020 3:27 AM

Dec 2014
well the chief was truly the op here....

nice to him and all..
Feb 17, 2021 5:29 AM

Feb 2020
Nice movie. kind of over melodramatic at few places but still good (not as good as first one). But still it was worth watching.
Chief was a great character, I feel sorry for him...
Wanted to see more of tamaki and onijima towards the end.
Was there some sort of Ushigorou x Ranmaru moment towards the end...lol
Overall I loved it, Nice ending.

I tried checked out older 1979 anime (though I could only find 1 episode of the series in eng sub). The comedy is lot better and character are more developed in that series compared to the movies. But character designs and animation are lot more better is this movies.
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Apr 2, 2021 3:43 AM

Feb 2019
I feel bad for the editor...

But at least it was a good ending. I was so frustrated with how things were developing and I thought there'd be no happy ending.

Not bad, I guess. The first movie was better. Feels like it was rushed, and there were a lot of things that didn't make sense which I also believe is because of it being rushed.
Apr 28, 2021 6:21 AM

Feb 2016
This movie feels like a worse version of Candy Candy. Dead boyfriend? Check. Amnesia? Check. Sickly love rival? Check. Were these tropes really so popular in the 70s? They even take place in the same time period!
その目だれの目?
Jun 15, 2021 9:06 PM

Feb 2021
Unowen said:
fuoph said:

Unrelated, but what anime is your signature ?
Aug 5, 2021 4:49 AM
Jan 2016
Honestly part one was great but this part was a bit of a let down. And the only reason why was the character Larisa. I did not like her at all and she was pretty pointless. I think it would of been much better if she never existed and instead chiefs romance was developed more with actual feelings then we get a love triangle as lieutenant returns with no memory and she has to fight with her conflicting emotions. Oh well
Oct 7, 2021 8:30 AM

Nov 2013
Lots of bullcrap and flaws in the writing but the characters still endearing and the comedy was enough to enjoy the movie.
I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die.

Oct 9, 2021 12:53 PM

Aug 2017
Too many gags compared to the first movie, not all of which were good (especially the shole ninja crossressing stuff)

Russian voice actors didn't end up being necessary, and I actually expected them, huh.

Also, Benio's first wedding was western-style, but her second one was traditionally Japanese?

I was rooting for Aoi, honestly :D He's a civilian after all (and also started changing his personality thanks to Benio). Plus, I don't think Shinobu's fate ~20 years after the events of the movie would've been very good (provided that he decided to stay in the military). Don't get why so many extremely negative reactions to the film though
Nov 6, 2021 11:21 AM

Jul 2014
I was really looking forward on how main male mc would recover his memories but didn't think it would be ez lol

I was really rooting for the Chief and teared up on how his mom actually looked for him during the earthquake incident. Ahhh i hope chief would be happy and find the woman he loves T_T

But srsly i was rooting for Benio to forget the main male yet im also good with the end. Even if the main male isnt the one im rooting for bcz of his charac for the 2nd movie (1st movie i dont have problems with him) as long as if that what Benio wants then fine

What i need is TAMAKI X ONIJIMA STORY lol
(Rinmaru and benio disciple seemed great too)
"Everyone fails sometimes
But dreams won't fade, dreams won't fade
Let's chase them as many times as it takes and don't lose
Because today after all is today and once you wake up, it'll be a new morning"

~Aqours~
Oct 11, 2022 7:13 AM
Jan 2013
The characters have no agency in the 2nd movie. The parts that made me love the ML and FL have completely gone in this movie.

Nov 8, 2022 8:40 PM

Oct 2021
What a mess. Apart from the disastrous finale, it was very predictable. I was expecting something more complex and deep but okay. It wasn't bad but not good either. The ending just made me say "Why". The anime doesn't know what themes it's trying to incorporate so it seems they mixed drastically different things together to bomb that finale.

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯

Don't try and get me to cook
I can take care of anything
else but not that

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯

Oct 18, 2023 3:37 AM

Mar 2011
What happened here? The first movie was so good (but at least now I remember why it took me so long to finish this one). And while I think there are some good points to this I can't help but feel not very satisfied with how things went to reach this happy ending. Almost makes me want to re-write the entire movie. But maybe I will write a review to vent my frustration.
You're the light shining over The black and gloomy nights
So long I've been waiting To run into your arms
Oh, my only one desire You're the one I need
Through the thousand years ~ Evermore

"Midnight Sun" by AleXa

Nov 20, 2023 7:57 PM

Dec 2012
Ah well, I suppose like Benio sobering from her drunken charades, I found the charm that drew me in so boldly with the first movie has faded like the twilight of a first love. I still enjoyed it, but it definitely went in a more cliché direction than I had been hoping. Perhaps I thought this would be more like Arte, but before long, Benio's entire world revolved around love and what she would do for it. I feel bad for Tousei, but it was also obvious that the marriage was hastily put together for all but romantic reasons. It's actually ironic how Benio tried to marry Tousei for pragmatic reasons, which is not all that different from the point of arranged marriages. It takes me to that conversation between Tamaki & Benio once they're no longer teenage girls rebelling on a whim. As Tamaki put it, they transitioned from the sun to the moon, reflecting the joyful feelings of that youth while starting to accept that they couldn't completely change society.

Perhaps the only major critique I'd offer is how Benio completely forgot about the vow she made with her white mourning dress. I think I'd rather have seen things move in that direction, where years passed with no news on Shinobu's whereabouts and her being tested not to accept any new suitors as she became the lady of the manor. Perhaps a Japanese telling of Odysseus & Penelope.

7/10 for this film and 8/10 for the first.
Dec 17, 2023 5:53 AM
Apr 2021
For me the only memorable thing in this movie was "marinka\malinka", because it made me laugh so hard. XD In the anime they show wild strawberry bushes — земляника. The word малинка (malinka) is a diminutive form of малина — raspberry. They both belong to Rosales order, so their flowers are somewhat alike, but the plant itself is completely different.
It was probably mangaka's mistake, but the anime makers could've googled to fix it, lol.
The fact that this goof is pretty much the only thing left in my memory... is telling something about the quality of this movie as a whole.
Mar 7, 1:37 AM
Feb 2024
Lets just say I'm emotionally scarred now-
Mar 7, 1:39 AM
Feb 2024
Lets just say I'm emotionally scarred now-

More topics from this board

» Interesting

lushlif_ - Oct 13, 2018

2 by RealMTL »»
May 17, 2019 7:27 AM

» 1st PV

anime_mantabh - Sep 28, 2017

0 by anime_mantabh »»
Sep 28, 2017 9:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.