Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 18, 2019 7:58 PM

Aug 2009
I feel like I was really "serious" about anime like maybe 2 or 3 yrs ago. Like ratings and "objectively" best and like finding the metaphors and messages and themes and generally over analyzing everything I watch. I feel like I was just putting too much energy into the hobby and cared too much.

These days I just see it like really just a past-time.. I care nothing about opinions of others or what shows are popular or whats objective or what it all means... like idk I even feel like the waifu and loli shit is funny now, whereas before I thought it was like a bastardization and blemish on the sanctity of the medium or some shit.

Anyway how serious are you about anime?

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
May 18, 2019 8:01 PM

Aug 2017
Well, I love Anime.

Anime is my life.

Anime is my love.

Anime is my drug.

Anime is my only hope.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
May 18, 2019 8:02 PM

Jul 2016
The polls turned this thread into hilarious bait.
May 18, 2019 8:02 PM

Sep 2018
I really don't take anime extremely seriously, I just kind of see it as a hobby or something that I do when I have nothing else to do. Nice poll suggestions by the way.

Edit: Wording
"Literary experts revealed that reviews on sites like MyAnimeList kill more than 200 brain cells per second."

- Joey, "The Anime Man"
May 18, 2019 8:05 PM

Jan 2016
I don’t think it’s wrong to spend a lot of time on something that makes you happy; if it isn’t enriching your life anymore (or you’re tired of it)ーmoving onto to a different hobby or taking a break is recommend. I have been morbidly obsessed with anime all of my life & I plan on incorporating it into my creative career, so the novelty hasn’t worn off on me.

Additionally: I have more fun with anime when I don’t take it seriously & let myself enjoy ecchi & goofball-weird stuff, like Potemayo! (plusーlolis are adorable ☂︎)
▾ Check Out My Original Series ▾

▾ Check Out My Blog ▾
May 18, 2019 8:06 PM

Apr 2018
I have some passion towards some of my favorite anime, if you count that as being serious.

Buying merch, interacting with the fandom/community, and sure why not, analyzing the anime.

I'm kinda picky but by no means am I a critic, and I don't really agree with the usage of words like "objective" to criticize an anime.

Also, I love memes a bit too much so I'd rather meme around than take myself too seriously.
May 18, 2019 8:14 PM

Jan 2017
I just watch anime to know the references for my doujinshis to beat my meat.
May 18, 2019 8:17 PM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Simply put, Anime is Life!

On a more serious note, it's definitely more than just a hobby to me but not nearly as much as a 'Drug' per say (or so I think)…

Edit: Sorry I was lying, it's definitely my drug lol.
_MushiRock11_May 18, 2019 8:37 PM
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

May 18, 2019 8:19 PM

Jun 2017
I just want to enjoy but definitely never take it too seriously
May 18, 2019 8:19 PM
May 2012
Anime is serious fucking business.
May 18, 2019 8:21 PM

Feb 2018
is obvious that the traps are gay but not in the conventional way... oh, yeah the anime is very nice.

Oct 2010
Very serious, overanalyzing and stuff. But at the end of the day I enjoy everything I watch. The score is not really a perfect representation of my experience. I sometimes go on forums to complain or to choose best girl.

Jul 2016
I'm using it to teach people about MBTI by the end of this month with my blog posts.
May 18, 2019 8:26 PM

Feb 2019
I take Anime super seriously like my life depends on it

It’s okay to look back at the past, just don’t stare too long

May 18, 2019 8:57 PM
May 2016
i have no fucking clue what i'm supposed to vote on the poll, so i just went with 2d>3dpd since that's just a fact
but besides that, it varies pretty drastically from show to show really. i'll change how seriously i take a show accordingly to how seriously i think it wants me to take it, i'll analyze a show on a deeper level if i feel like it's requesting the viewer's analysis and full attention, etc.
for example, i'm not going to take a cgdct anime seriously because that's obviously not the point, but i'll take a psychological drama anime seriously
May 18, 2019 9:07 PM
Dec 2010
Hmm, I never been serious about anime. I just watch what I like and enjoy the anime for what it is.
Someone believe I hv Fantasy Prone Personality, in short, FPP.
So I decided to live up to it, Yay!
May 18, 2019 10:17 PM
Oct 2018
I am critical and do like to dig deeper but I don't take it too seriously or over analyze
so the correct option would be... super cereal?
--
May 18, 2019 10:17 PM

Mar 2018
I dont take it seriously at ALL, I mean its nothing unusual to hear Japanese that I cannot understand more than I hear English daily right? I'm not serious about anime at all lol. Just a long hobby. oof
May 18, 2019 10:20 PM

May 2009
I watch it as entertainment.

I have no idea how to enter that into that poll.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
May 18, 2019 10:30 PM

Feb 2014
Not all that seriously. These days, I just watch anime to kill time. Even at the peak of my anime fandom, unlike a lot of people, I never used to research the hell out of the anime I watch, the industry, and the people behind it. I just watch anime, at the most look up who the director is, check out their other works, and move on to the next one.
May 18, 2019 10:37 PM

May 2018
Not serious at all. I have life and other hobbies beside anime. Anime is just a way to kill time. There's plenty of better things to do than watching anime. Anime is just another form of cartoon, not better than Spongebob, Kim Possible etc.
May 18, 2019 10:37 PM
News Team
Demon Spawn

Apr 2017
I'd say I don't take it too seriously, but then I go into long ass conversations about anime topics as though they actually impact my life in some form

So I'd say I may appreciate anime a tad too much sometimes
May 19, 2019 12:55 AM

Jan 2009
even if i say im serious you will not believe me anyway just comparing the huge difference in our completed anime and manga list, like holy shit is that serious stuff, i met some other users like you with huge lists and i say they are rare
May 19, 2019 1:05 AM

Aug 2016
From 1-10
Probably 1,5?
It‘s like I could quiet any time
May 19, 2019 5:26 AM
Dec 2013
I watch all anime in normal speed instead of faster than intended. That's how seriously I take it.
May 19, 2019 5:31 AM

Apr 2013
I find it more as a mere form of entertainment to kill time, and I never want to reach the level of the people I see here or on reddit who say they can't live without it and bash on everything else that isn't Anime. It's hilarious and cringy but eh, godspeed to them.

Ascended Taste
I only came back to this site for the forum sets and to promote my RYM list... Anilist ftw still :dab:
May 19, 2019 8:55 AM

Dec 2017
Anime is life, bruh

Also, 2D>3D

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

May 19, 2019 9:05 AM
Jul 2018
I'd like to say it's just a source of an entertainment for me but tbh it's literally my life
May 19, 2019 9:09 AM
Nov 2017
i dont, and will never take anime seriously.
i just watch anime, just like that
May 19, 2019 9:24 AM

Feb 2010
Well, at least more seriously than I take most people on this site.

Unlike a lot of anime 'fans' I don't think caring about your hobby and being invested in it and taking it seriously in that sense is a bad thing or something embarassing that I should be ashamed of. It's actually what makes it worth having a hobby. I really hate the edgy sarcasm culture of the internet that makes fun of everyone who takes anything seriously. Caring about things is not a weakness to be exploited by trolls, although in reality that is often how it plays out.

If I didn't care about what I did, I wouldn't do it. I'd find something else to do that I do care about. It's as simple as that. If people want to spend all their time on stuff they don't give a shit and couldn't care less about, that is weird to me, but apparently that is what most people do if you believe them. But more realistically they're just being all edgy and downplaying how much they care about their hobbies because they know that letting the internet know youc are about anything is like an invitation to get bullied by people who care about nothing anymore and just soullessly vegetate along with the sole purpose of trying to drag others down to their level of apathy and cynicism.

As OP said, if it's just a pastime that you don't give a shit about and occasionally indulge in because you don't have anything better to do, it's a different story. But that's not the kind of relationship I like to have with my hobbies, they aren't replacable like that. I've tried to engage with all kinds of hobbies over the years and I stuck with the ones I did because I value them more, because they bring me more enjoyment. The whole point of a hobby is that it is something I care about, that I actively like to spend my time on and not something utterly replacable I merely tolerate because it's less boring than staring at an empty wall.

Note that caring about your hobby, being invested in it and taking it seriously in that regard has very little to do with people being obnoxious about what shape and form they see as being 'appropriate' for the medium (keywords 'bastardization' or 'blemish on the medium'.) People like that don't take anime more seriously than others, they just have bigger inflated egos that make them want to control everything because they think they know what's best for everyone.

They want the whole medium to cater to their personal taste, so if anything they take themselves too seriously, not anime. They're more disrespectful towards the medium by completely ignoring the diversity of audiences and artistic expressions and deeming anything unworthy that doesn't fit their (usually narrow) standards. To me that is a totally different category than 'taking anime seriously' that is much more of an issue of personality and attitude and has little to do with ones relationship to the medium. And it is a bit frustrating to see the two conflated like this.
I probably regret this post by now.
May 19, 2019 9:43 AM

Dec 2012
I do take it seriously since it's my favorite hobbie... for me anime is like a journey. I like to explore different worlds and go through many experiences that might be almost impossible to live irl and anime can offer me all those opportunities. I like to conect with the characters and put myself in their shoes, or sometimes I just like to watch for fun and get at ease with a romantic comedy or smth.

Bookworms and cinephiles do the same, but nah it's not my thing... anime captivated me since I was a little girl so yeah, that's where I find genuine enjoyment. Also, everything is so aesthetically pleasant in anime it's almost like comfort food for my eyes.
May 19, 2019 9:53 AM

Apr 2017
Anime can reach certain heights. I'm carefully looking for them.

『 The truth has power because it’s the truth.
And because it is the truth, that makes it just.
It’s persuasive, isn’t it? Don’t you want truth like that? 』

May 19, 2019 10:11 AM

Dec 2012
Pullman said:
I really hate the edgy sarcasm culture of the internet that makes fun of everyone who takes anything seriously. Caring about things is not a weakness to be exploited by trolls, although in reality that is often how it plays out.

Never read a most relatable post... I understand that feeling and sometimes makes me kinda contain my enthusiasm a little to avoid being teased by ppl with this kind of mindset but then I think "Ah, nevermind... no one has the right to make me feel shitty about the things I love or the way I enjoy things."

Anyways I think it's a struggle that most fellow INFPs can relate...
May 19, 2019 10:42 AM
Oct 2015
I was so crazy back then. Especially when a good anime ended, I would get so depressed and really empty. But one thing about anime for me is that, it gave me a push in life. The day I watched Naruto as my first anime, where I worked hard on my major exams while listening to the OST every single day and.. am proud I scored well. Anime used to be my sole reason to feel motivated and etc. Until one day I came to a realisation how much time I'm wasting on it, where I could use all the time spend to bring myself up, than watching the characters achieving them.

Not that I regretted watching, but the fact that I'm going to forget it anyway. Heck, I've already forgotten most of the anime I've watched. This is the point where I slowly backed off and watch it for it is. Now that I'm occupied with my assigment and college activities .. I have limited time to spend on watching it.
But my love for anime remains. But I've learned to not go beyond the limit.
May 19, 2019 11:03 AM

Aug 2013
Pullman said:

Unlike a lot of anime 'fans' I don't think caring about your hobby and being invested in it and taking it seriously in that sense is a bad thing or something embarassing that I should be ashamed of. It's actually what makes it worth having a hobby. I really hate the edgy sarcasm culture of the internet that makes fun of everyone who takes anything seriously. Caring about things is not a weakness to be exploited by trolls, although in reality that is often how it plays out.

There are some things that I don't agree with you (and you with me certainly), but this is where I'm 100% with you.
I don't understand what's the point of doing something "for irony" or "for killing the time" (seriously, this "feeling" is completely foreign for me). When I'm spending my free time on something, I'd rather want to spend it on something that I like and yeah, I'm being super passionate about my hobbies. This is what "having a hobby" mean anyway.
rsc-plMay 19, 2019 12:08 PM
Dub = fake crap. Always.
May 19, 2019 11:04 AM
( ̄y▽ ̄)╭ Ohohoho.

Jul 2013
Anime is okayish and a good way to spend my time until it's about JoJo. I eat JoJo, I breathe JoJo, I LIVE JoJo. Who needs food or air when there is JoJo?

On a more serious note, though: I think watching Anime and reading Manga is an important hobby to me, especially since I've been doing these things since I was a child. However, there are also times when I need a break from all this. Not too long ago, I was taking a break from anime for 2 or 3 years, so I can't really say I'm taking it too seriously, but it's still kinda important to me.
Haptism93May 19, 2019 11:08 AM

I will show no mercy for you
You had no mercy for me
The only thing that I ask
Love me mercilessly
May 19, 2019 11:04 AM

Apr 2019
It's a fun a little hobby to take your mind off of things so I do enjoy myself some anime watching now and then.
definitely not gonna worship 2d titties like some people on this site though
May 19, 2019 11:27 AM
Feb 2019
Well, it really depends on the kind of anime I watch. If it's a serious one, I will look at every single detail, think about the mindset of the characters, think what's wrong and right, etc. If it's a less serious one, I mainly focus on character interactions and just let things unfold themselves. When scoring an anime, I take my enjoyment only into consideration, everything aside that is objective.
May 19, 2019 12:19 PM

Apr 2015
Can I vote for all of the above in the poll?
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
May 19, 2019 12:33 PM

Mar 2019
I really care not about whether TV series be animated and/or from Japan — good television is good television.

Having said that — I feel that a lot of settings in particular science-fiction and phantasy should consider animation more seriously than they often do now. Dark Matter was a great concept and they really managed to do some creative things with their low budget and make it work but it's clear the budget limited the series at various times and didn't allow them to do some things they obviously wanted. The nice thing about animation is that animating things like aliens and zero-gravity environments is in fact no more expensive than animating humans standing on the ground.

It is obvious that "obscenity" is not a term capable of exact legal definition; in the practice of the courts, it means "anything that shocks the magistrate".

— Bertrand Russell
May 19, 2019 12:47 PM

Nov 2015
deg said:
even if i say I'm serious you will not believe me anyway just comparing the huge difference in our completed anime and manga list, like holy shit is that serious stuff, i met some other users like you with huge lists and i say they are rare

At first I checked out your profile and I was like, 'don't sell yourself short, 500+ isn't anything small'. Then I checked OP and I understood. That is damn impressive.

Pullman said:

Man, I didn't even really understand that difference until now but I wholeheartedly agree with that. I take anime seriously to the point where it is simply my main hobby and what I spend most of my free time on. I thoroughly enjoy the community and learning as much as I can about the industry, and I think that it is amazing as it evolves into more of a mass-appeal medium. But at the same time I would never say that I would want to be that type of person that values what they like over anything else. I respect the incredible differences between people and what they like so it is sort of annoying that people would claim to have the 'authority' to say what is good and bad.
May 19, 2019 1:10 PM

Jan 2013
None of the poll options seem to accurately represent how I feel about anime.

May 19, 2019 4:45 PM

Oct 2008
I am serious enough to say that it is something I value more than other entertainment media.
May 19, 2019 4:53 PM

Sep 2010
Anime is the only thing I watch 90% of the time cause there isn't really any western TV shows that keep my interests and those that did were either canceled or are finished.
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
May 19, 2019 8:55 PM
Jan 2017
I would say I take anime seriously. Ive devoted a lot of my time to watching anime and some of favorite I have a strong emotional connection with that it's impossible for me to not take it seriously. But, I do watch shows just for shits and giggles and Im not a huge nerd that cares about studios, directors, voice actors, etc. If I find the plot interesting I watch.

I do take breaks from watching anime too, since I get tired of it and wait like a week or 2 before starting a new series. You sometimes need to take a break from your hobbies to rekindle the love for those hobbies.
May 19, 2019 9:02 PM

Feb 2014
not seriously at all. It's definitely not something to degrade or bludgeon someone over
That's the problem with eternal damnation, you get used to it after a while
May 20, 2019 5:13 AM

Jan 2009
ISOQuorra said:
deg said:
even if i say I'm serious you will not believe me anyway just comparing the huge difference in our completed anime and manga list, like holy shit is that serious stuff, i met some other users like you with huge lists and i say they are rare

At first I checked out your profile and I was like, 'don't sell yourself short, 500+ isn't anything small'. Then I checked OP and I understood. That is damn impressive.

i just found this guys completed lists a while ago https://myanimelist.net/profile/RafaelDeJongh

i usually see him post on episode/chapter discussion threads but i did not realize the amount of completed anime/manga he got

and his mean score is not below 5 so it shows that he really enjoys anime and manga
May 20, 2019 5:17 AM

Apr 2017
Don't take anime so seriously to say "anime is life", it's just a form of entertainment that entertains me in the right way. If a debate comes up just state my opinion, not gonna defend anime like a wanker.
May 20, 2019 7:16 PM

Aug 2009
deg said:
ISOQuorra said:

i just found this guys completed lists a while ago https://myanimelist.net/profile/RafaelDeJongh

i usually see him post on episode/chapter discussion threads but i did not realize the amount of completed anime/manga he got

and his mean score is not below 5 so it shows that he really enjoys anime and manga

There's literally someone who posted in the thread with more completed. Also pro-tip if you see people with huge completed lists like ours the majority is not full 24+ episode series. It's mostly gonna be stuff like music videos, commercials, OVAs, movies etc. I think it just goes to show how serious I was about anime though, not just the shows, but the creators and everything in between. I even wrote articles about the industry and stuff... like I was deep in the rabbit hote. Maybe I came off as completely apathetic, but yeah obviously I give enough of a shit to choose this hobby over something else. In fact I waited 3 hours in a line in the rain from like 6:30AM to get a signed copy of Gyo when Junji Ito was in Toronto. He also drew a poster for the event it was really cool. I think its just like in comparison to the past... I really don't take it that seriously, but I'm obviously still a fan. In the same way I've learned to lighten up and not take myself so serious...unlike some ppl on this forum.

LoneWolfMay 21, 2019 10:28 AM

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche

More topics from this board

» Has the isekai bubble finally burst ( 1 2 )

EastIndiaCompany - Yesterday

50 by EastIndiaCompany »»
3 minutes ago

» Anticipated Spring 2024 anime

ani2016 - Mar 13

16 by Pengawas »»
5 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

110 by himegal »»
25 minutes ago

» Is it weird that I wish strong female characters would get sad ending?

Sanjay63773 - 1 hour ago

8 by NonAtmospheric »»
33 minutes ago

» Early-mid 2000s anime – what are your thoughts?

Haneken2086 - Yesterday

19 by MasterTasuke »»
41 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.