Forum Settings
Forums

Animes that survives the test of time on MAL

New
May 17, 2019 12:07 PM

Jan 2018
Even tho a lot of people simply don't care about the MAL rating system I want to know animes that even after long periods of time the score didn't drop or even got higher.
I saw the all mighty FMA Brotherhood with the 9.25 score drop to 9.24 and shows like HunterXHunter that the score actually went from 9.11 to 9.12 even after all those years.
I also want to know to have some anime recommendations and maybe find some hidden gems.
May 17, 2019 12:11 PM

Jul 2017
Considering both Clannad AS and A Silent Voice are heavy drama shows, the fact that they're ~9's

Haikyuu S3 despite being a sports anime (Which usually the best ones sit around ~8.5) is almost 9

Gintama despite being a comedy (and the loud obnoxious kind) has 4 seasons with 9+, as well as 1 in the top 5

May 17, 2019 12:13 PM

Nov 2016
Ashita no Joe 2. I think the score was around 8.5-8.55 when I've finished it about two years ago, now it's sitting at an 8.64.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

May 17, 2019 12:13 PM

Dec 2015
GTO was in top 10 before.

But the show have dropped a bit now, beacuse ppl are retarded.

It's a good show and it jumps around in the ranking around the 40-35th place.

May 17, 2019 12:16 PM

Jan 2018
Nillwas said:
GTO was in top 10 before.

But the show have dropped a bit now, beacuse ppl are retarded.

It's a good show and it jumps around in the ranking around the 40-35th place.

I always heard about GTO and that is a good series, I don't know if it is for me tho,I will search on it.
May 17, 2019 12:19 PM
Jul 2018
HunterXHunter scored up because of the trolls, it's just war between fans of fmab, gintama, steins gate, hunterxhunter, they make hundreds of accounts to score any anime that gets in the way of their favorite anime being number one. That's why MAL ranking is just a joke and shouldn't be taken seriously. It really makes me wonder if the animes that I mentioned treally deserves it's score, half of the scorer are trolls
May 17, 2019 12:21 PM

May 2009
operasinger said:
HunterXHunter scored up because of the trolls, it's just war between fans of fmab, gintama, steins gate, hunterxhunter, they make hundreds of accounts to score any anime that gets in the way of their favorite anime being number one. That's why MAL ranking is just a joke and shouldn't be taken seriously. It really makes me wonder if the animes that I mentioned treally deserves it's score, half of the scorer are trolls
Don't think of it as a quality rating; it's a popularity rating.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
May 17, 2019 12:24 PM

Jan 2018
operasinger said:

Does the mod team have any way to control that? Like banning the smurf accounts?
I don't really care about the score either, just see the ratings that a give of animes that I watch.
But anyways the score can give you an idea of how the anime is and it's quality
May 17, 2019 12:26 PM

Oct 2010
Averages tend to stabilize after a while, their biggest variations happen while they are airing and in the days/weeks immediately after at most.

So basically any show applies to this thread.
May 17, 2019 12:32 PM
May 2018
What's the point in believing in MAL ratings, since for so many titles people made multiple accounts to give them 1, or 10?

That being said, I do think it is incredible that LOGH is still in Top 10, not because it doesn't deserve it, it does, it is definitely amazing 10/10 masterpiece, but, IMO, most of people on MAL think newer is better by default, so something that finished airing in 90s, no matter how good, being rated so high on this site is rather surprising.
May 17, 2019 12:35 PM

Jan 2018
jal90 said:
Averages tend to stabilize after a while, their biggest variations happen while they are airing and in the days/weeks immediately after at most.

I would say that's false, just from the top list I saw Clannad, owarimonogatari 2,haikyuu, shigatsu wa kimi no uso, Code Geass, boku no hero, bakuman, shokugeki no souma, mob psycho and more drop the mean score in the last few months
May 17, 2019 12:38 PM

Dec 2017
I think death note has also survived this test of time

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

May 17, 2019 12:42 PM

Oct 2010
langamebr said:
jal90 said:

I would say that's false, just from the top list I saw Clannad, owarimonogatari 2,haikyuu, shigatsu wa kimi no uso, Code Geass, boku no hero, bakuman, shokugeki no souma, mob psycho and more drop the mean score in the last few months

Yeah, but they don't drop significantly, at most 0.1-0.2 which isn't really a big change overall. And if you mean Mob Psycho II, that ended airing just a little more than a month ago. That barely counts as a "test of time".
May 17, 2019 12:47 PM

Jan 2009
you can check the Wayback Machine for a reliable comparison here are some
https://web.archive.org/web/20061223152207/http://myanimelist.net/topanime.php
https://web.archive.org/web/20071030135625/http://myanimelist.net/topanime.php
May 17, 2019 6:54 PM
Feb 2019
deg said:
you can check the Wayback Machine for a reliable comparison here are some
https://web.archive.org/web/20061223152207/http://myanimelist.net/topanime.php
https://web.archive.org/web/20071030135625/http://myanimelist.net/topanime.php

Really interesting, it's impressive to see how things have changed.
May 17, 2019 7:28 PM
Oct 2017
The animes based on classic novels from the world masterpiece theater seem to hold their scores rather well despite being very old.

Princess Sara (based on a little Princess)
https://myanimelist.net/anime/2547/Princess_Sara

Akage no Anne (based on Anne of green gables)
https://myanimelist.net/anime/283/Akage_no_Anne

Romeo no aoi sora (based on the black brothers)
https://myanimelist.net/anime/2559/Romeo_no_Aoi_Sora

There's a few other world masterpiece theater anime's that are worth watching but for the MAL scores they currently have and when they where released,i'd say these where the cream of the crop.
May 17, 2019 7:28 PM
Oct 2017
The animes based on classic novels from the world masterpiece theater seem to hold their scores rather well despite being very old.

Princess Sara (based on a little Princess)
https://myanimelist.net/anime/2547/Princess_Sara

Akage no Anne (based on Anne of green gables)
https://myanimelist.net/anime/283/Akage_no_Anne

Romeo no aoi sora (based on the black brothers)
https://myanimelist.net/anime/2559/Romeo_no_Aoi_Sora

There's a few other world masterpiece theater anime's that are worth watching but for the MAL scores they currently have and when they where released,i'd say these where the cream of the crop.
May 17, 2019 7:32 PM

Jul 2016
cancerguy said:

I agree with everything this guy said.
May 17, 2019 7:33 PM

Jul 2016
Still surprised all the people here have not mentioned LoGH, an 80's Anime in the top 6 of MAL with a score of 9.10

May 17, 2019 7:53 PM

Feb 2019
what I got from all these replies is you really need a large following fanbase like FMA, HxH & Gintama to consistently remain at number 1

It’s okay to look back at the past, just don’t stare too long

May 17, 2019 11:27 PM
Jul 2018
I am more surprised by Slam Dunk being still in the top 100 really. It even surpasses Kuroko no Basket
May 17, 2019 11:33 PM

Jul 2015
Psajdak said:
What's the point in believing in MAL ratings, since for so many titles people made multiple accounts to give them 1, or 10?

That being said, I do think it is incredible that LOGH is still in Top 10, not because it doesn't deserve it, it does, it is definitely amazing 10/10 masterpiece, but, IMO, most of people on MAL think newer is better by default, so something that finished airing in 90s, no matter how good, being rated so high on this site is rather surprising.

these people who think old anime is bad do not watch old anime therefore do not rate old anime
pretty obvious
May 17, 2019 11:43 PM
Jul 2018
langamebr said:
operasinger said:

Does the mod team have any way to control that? Like banning the smurf accounts?
I don't really care about the score either, just see the ratings that a give of animes that I watch.
But anyways the score can give you an idea of how the anime is and it's quality

The mods can ban those account if you report them but they wouldn't do it by themselves. Just look at attack on titan season 3 part 2, the numbers on score 1 hasn't been lessened at all even if every single one of them is troll.
May 18, 2019 12:38 AM

Nov 2007
langamebr said:
Even tho a lot of people simply don't care about the MAL rating system I want to know animes that even after long periods of time the score didn't drop or even got higher.
I saw the all mighty FMA Brotherhood with the 9.25 score drop to 9.24 and shows like HunterXHunter that the score actually went from 9.11 to 9.12 even after all those years.
I also want to know to have some anime recommendations and maybe find some hidden gems.

Do you know how many troll accounts were created in the past several months to downvote everything else and upvote Hunter x Hunter (2011)? Educate yourself before saying anime surviving the passage of time. Didn't even feature in greatest 100 anime of all time.

Hunter x Hunter (2011) is an openly pedophile yaoi anime. And it stands at 9.12 because people like yaoi and pedophilia. I am waiting for the day when Hisoka bangs Gon, actually. Too bad the author is clueless on how to finish this chore right now.

Btw, I am having it at 10/10 because I like Lenny. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
May 18, 2019 1:26 AM
Jun 2015
cancerguy said:
oh, that's really weird I thought hunter x hunter is scored high due its phenomenal story telling, the philosophy of each character being fully fleshed out, the amazing character development and the brilliantly portrayed villains. You're probably only saying this because you haven't watched hunter x hunter or because it's ranked higher than your favourite anime
May 18, 2019 1:28 AM
Jul 2018
Archer123 said:
cancerguy said:
oh, that's really weird I thought hunter x hunter is scored high due its phenomenal story telling, the philosophy of each character being fully fleshed out, the amazing character development and the brilliantly portrayed villains. You're probably only saying this because you haven't watched hunter x hunter or because it's ranked higher than your favourite anime

See how triggered the fans get, he's probably one of the trolls
May 18, 2019 1:30 AM
Jul 2018
shanimebib said:
langamebr said:

Do you know how many troll accounts were created in the past several months to downvote everything else and upvote Hunter x Hunter (2011)? Educate yourself before saying anime surviving the passage of time. Didn't even feature in greatest 100 anime of all time.

Hunter x Hunter (2011) is an openly pedophile yaoi anime. And it stands at 9.12 because people like yaoi and pedophilia. I am waiting for the day when Hisoka bangs Gon, actually. Too bad the author is clueless on how to finish this chore right now.

God I can't agree more with you. The fans are absurd
May 18, 2019 1:38 AM
Jun 2015
shanimebib said:
langamebr said:

why are you generalising a whole anime with the fact that hisoka is a pedophile which he is not I will admit he is one creepy son of a bitch but kids don't turn him on,powerful opponents do and that because people like yaoi there's no yaoi scenes what's so ever in hunter x hunter Also that's like me saying people like FMAB because it has child abuse. People like hunter x hunter because it's a amazing show. You're probably only saying because you're upset that hunter x hunter is ranked higher than most of your favourite shows
May 18, 2019 1:41 AM
Jun 2015
cancerguy said:
Archer123 said:

I'm not triggered at all and I'm not a troll. This post angers me because the individual probably hasn't watched hunter x hunter at all yet he is complaining about it
May 18, 2019 1:43 AM
Jul 2018
Archer123 said:
cancerguy said:

I'm not triggered at all and I'm not a troll. This post angers me because the individual probably hasn't watched hunter x hunter at all yet he is complaining about it

I'm not complaining about the series, I'm complaining about the trolls
May 18, 2019 3:27 AM

Mar 2018
I haven't read the responses to the thread but i'm sure someone mentioned this Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu. I aim to complete most of the top rated shows so whenever I used to see this I used to avoid it because I personally don't judge top ratings as seriously. Because less people watch Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu(33k) or Ashita No Joe(8k) their rating can easily increase higher because of how many people actually watch the show FMA (870k)
Theoretically, if a anime is watched by 1 user and is rated 10 by the user, it would be the number one rated anime.
May 18, 2019 3:37 AM

Feb 2010
oli06 said:
I haven't read the responses to the thread but i'm sure someone mentioned this Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu. I aim to complete most of the top rated shows so whenever I used to see this I used to avoid it because I personally don't judge top ratings as seriously. Because less people watch Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu(33k) or Ashita No Joe(8k) their rating can easily increase higher because of how many people actually watch the show FMA (870k)
Theoretically, if a anime is watched by 1 user and is rated 10 by the user, it would be the number one rated anime.

That's not how it works. The rating gets weighed based on how many people have rated a show, so the less viewers the harder it actually is to have a high score. Not to mention that under 50 ratings the score is always 0.00 because that's the minimum requirement.
I probably regret this post by now.
May 18, 2019 6:32 AM

Jun 2017
I don't know why no one mentioned Perfect Blue and EoE yet.

Perfect Blue was around 8.20 when I joined MAL but it's now 8.37 and I think it will goes higher and higher. Even back in like 2011 the rating was under 8:
http://web.archive.org/web/20110424225244/https://myanimelist.net/anime/437/Perfect_Blue

The same goes for End of Evangelion. The rise of score isn't as high as Perfect Blue but it still rises through time.

And I think most other elitist shows are the same for obvious reasons
May 18, 2019 6:33 AM

Jul 2013
FMA:Brotherhood and Gintama have been there ever since especially the former reigning at the top position for god knows how long. There was a time when Kimi no Nawa rose to #1 when it came out but it triggered a lot of overly-invested fanboys. Can you even believe people actually waste their time creating hundreds of new accounts just to rate their favorite anime higher and their hated anime lower? Lmfao.

More topics from this board

Poll: » What position do you watch anime in?

Spunkert - 3 hours ago

9 by MichaelJackson »»
2 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows?

EverRealm - 6 hours ago

32 by Ochimusha »»
2 minutes ago

» Does being an anime fan make you proud or embarassed?

BuddhaIsBetter - 10 hours ago

31 by perseii »»
3 minutes ago

» Things you are jealous of in anime

IpreferEcchi - Apr 20

33 by BlueBullet178 »»
5 minutes ago

» You truly don't care about anime MAL score/rank? Ooh cool, but... ( 1 2 )

Rinrinka - Apr 21

92 by Ochimusha »»
22 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.