Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
May 11, 9:43 AM
I wanted to discuss this because the only discussions I’ve seen online are whether or not Hisoka IS a pedophile, not about the pedophilia themes in the series, which there are. Specifically are the predatory characters in this series portrayed in a too positive/neutral light? I was talking with my friend and she was wondering how I could go on watching this anime but condemn another; i dont watch this certain show for reasons completely unrelated to pedophilia, idk why she brought it up. But it got me thinking about hisoka and palm and their relationship to gon; why do viewers just gloss over it as a whole? hisoka is “supposed” to be evil, but seems to be moderately well “liked” (using that word loosely). palms obsession with gon is just seen as a funny quirky thing, and hisoka is just a weird scary clown, but the implications of their actions and obsessions should be taken more seriously no? Is there a reason togashi has children lusted after in his series? am i missing something?

May 11, 12:48 PM
egg

lol my name jeff

May 11, 12:48 PM
how do i delete replies

May 11, 2:14 PM
Lazy

He isn't one because otherwise people wouldn't get it to the mal top 10.

May 11, 2:22 PM

-7-5 said:
how do i delete replies

you don't

sorry man, but now it's there forever

May 11, 2:26 PM

Eh, I think Hisoka is definitely a pedo. He is a villain though, so I think that's why people don't really talk about it.
My condolences to KyoAni #PrayForKyoani

May 11, 4:41 PM
His obsession with Gon is not with pedophilia, but with him being a worthy opponent so he can kill him in the future, seriously what is with people always misinterpreting stuff? The only reason why he is sparing him is because he has potential because if he didn’t he wouldn’t give him a chance to live, he would just kill him outright, he could be gay but who the fuck cares. I’m not saying that there isn’t stuff like that but you are barking up the wrong tree dude.

May 11, 5:20 PM

Grandassassin said:
His obsession with Gon is not with pedophilia, but with him being a worthy opponent so he can kill him in the future, seriously what is with people always misinterpreting stuff? The only reason why he is sparing him is because he has potential because if he didn’t he wouldn’t give him a chance to live, he would just kill him outright, he could be gay but who the fuck cares. I’m not saying that there isn’t stuff like that but you are barking up the wrong tree dude.

dude he got a boner during one of their fights...
and was also staring at killua and gon's asses later on

May 11, 5:23 PM

he licks his lips and has orgasms over gon

May 16, 6:35 AM
I don't think it is paedophilia instead, I guess its more of sadomasochism. Hisoka loves to fight strong opponents (Chrollo), if he would've plainly been a paedophile, he wouldn't go to such lengths just for a fight against chrollo. He says he wants to "break" Gon, showing his sadist side and at the same time takes multiple hits to the face in the heaven's arena matchup, when we know that he could've avoided most of them easily, showing his masochist side.

May 16, 6:37 AM
its fiction that maybe the big reason why people ignore it

and as they say you can separate the author from his/her artworks

May 18, 12:44 AM

deg said:

They don't ignore it for other shows. Double standards.
<<<< Click to see how you may #HelpKyoAniHeal

Jun 6, 11:53 AM
tonqpoo said:
I wanted to discuss this because the only discussions I’ve seen online are whether or not Hisoka IS a pedophile, not about the pedophilia themes in the series, which there are. Specifically are the predatory characters in this series portrayed in a too positive/neutral light? I was talking with my friend and she was wondering how I could go on watching this anime but condemn another; i dont watch this certain show for reasons completely unrelated to pedophilia, idk why she brought it up. But it got me thinking about hisoka and palm and their relationship to gon; why do viewers just gloss over it as a whole? hisoka is “supposed” to be evil, but seems to be moderately well “liked” (using that word loosely). palms obsession with gon is just seen as a funny quirky thing, and hisoka is just a weird scary clown, but the implications of their actions and obsessions should be taken more seriously no? Is there a reason togashi has children lusted after in his series? am i missing something?

This is just my opinion based on articles I've read around and asking other people similar questions, but I think that because of the "work-work-work" attitude prevalent in Japanese society combined with their high emphasis on performance and adhering to societal norms, many people feel a really strong nostalgia for the romantic experiences (or lack thereof) that they had in high school. Hence all this fascination with girls looking younger in anime. Now obviously pedophilia is an extreme leap to make from simple romantic nostalgia, but I think this overall attitude has allowed for what we would consider to be unacceptable taboos to pass as "not-PC" jokes/themes in media (Whether or not Hisoka IS a pedo, Togashi had to make the decision to draw him licking his lips among other things, and the staff at MadHouse needed to coach is seiyuu to moan and stuff when reading his lines. which speaks more about the general attitude people take when it comes to media than what Hisoka is in reality).

Now most Japanese people are not gonna consume media of any kind and think, "oh look, pedophilia! MUST be okay~". Is keeping these themes in children's (and adult) media problematic and potentially harmful? Probably, but I just want to note that the reaction fans have in the west to these themes could be really similar to what people from other countries would think watching shows like Family Guy and South Park. There's an argument to be had that some American comedy shows are more satire than anything else, but the point I'm making is that what is considered "too taboo" or "disgusting" to be portrayed in children's media, or any kind of media, is relative to different cultures.

TL;DR Normal, good Japanese people are not going to do the bad things nor think it is okay for people to do the stuff we see in anime, and all countries and cultures are guilty of having children internalize harmful attitudes to our fellow human beings.

Jun 6, 3:07 PM
I can understand why people would be concerned about these themes but I'd disagree that this show handles the themes poorly or in a positive light for a few reasons.

1st would be there is very little fan service or over sexualization in Hunter x Hunter (besides Shizuku). Other shows with these themes may have characters in provocative clothing/situations doing overtly sexualized things but Hunter x Hunter just does not put its characters in those situations . The show has quite a few "loli" type characters (Bisky, Machi, Komugi, the Greed Island twins, ect.) and does not put any of those characters in situations where they feel sexualized, at least in my opinion. And all those characters, possibly minus Komugi, are likely over the age of 18 and could have been sexualized under that pretext.

2nd is that the two main culprits of the pedophilic behavior, Palm and Hisoka, are both consistently shown to not be normal.
Starting with Hisoka, his interest in Killua, Gon and others is shown to be mostly focused on fighting. He showed a sexual interest in fighting Chrollo, so we know his lust is not just aimed at children. But to pretend his interest is fully focused on fighting and is without a pedophilic nature would be disingenuous as he was seen getting aroused around them during many different situations including while standing behind them in Greed Island. But I believe that Hisoka has an animalistic nature, as can be seen in his pure pursuit of entertainment and what he wants. His actions while they consist of pedophilic behavior are backed by a strong correlation between his desire to fight and his desire to f*ck. There are many studies conducted on the addictiveness of both sex and fighting. The relative "high" a person can receive from these actions is well documented and Hisoka's character, in my opinion, is shown to have animalistic tendencies as well as a desire to dominate those around him (as seen in his lust to fight all strong people around him). So I'd say Hisoka's pedophilic tendencies focus more on getting a "high" and domination of others more than any sexual lust for children.

As for Palm her psychology is easier to explain. She is a pretty 1 note character, who due to likely early life trauma, has a strong desire to feel wanted or needed. This is a characteristic found in many anime characters, such as baby 5 from One Piece, and is often a characteristic held by yandere. Palm does not care who loves or needs her, she just wants to feel needed, wanted and loved.

I'd say that the main reason why people look past the pedophilic themes of Hunter x Hunter is that this show differs from many other stories that have pedophilia themes because the morality is so hazy. A lot of the Harem shows that sexualize "loli's" and other children have a white knight mc who is all powerful and all kind. They try to play off the themes as meaningless because the mc is not interested. Hunter x Hunter while not outright claiming that pedophilia is wrong does not glorify or overly sexualize the theme or the characters acting on the theme. The show is filled with characters who reject not just our societal morals and values but the societal morals and values of the in world universe. These are not characters to be applauded or looked up to, just characters in an interesting world, who take part in an interesting story. And the two main culprits of the pedophilia in this show are both strongly hinted to have some sort of mental disorder or stress related trauma.

None of these reasons justify pedophilia or make pedophilic themes okay. It should not make someone uncomfortable with the themes suddenly comfortable or okay with the show if they are not okay with it (which has other problems besides pedophilia, i.e. racism). But what it should convey is that Hunter x Hunter is not a show that glorifies pedophilia but is instead a show indifferent to it (as it is indifferent to many different issues) because the characters in the show are mostly indifferent to these issues, and this is nothing more than a telling of their stories.
Modified by DrayOzil10, Jun 6, 3:20 PM

Jun 9, 8:09 AM

An author doesn't necessarily need to support the ideologies of the antagonist. Hisoka is a well written villain. This is like saying that a you're not allowed to like a bad guy. Him being a pedo is just a characteristic of the guy.

If you need some pedophilic themes, go watch garbage shows like eromanga or made in abyss

Jun 9, 6:00 PM
cluclu said:
Grandassassin said:

dude he got a boner during one of their fights...
and was also staring at killua and gon's asses later on

Dude that's his character he get a boner over anyone strong , he got another one in his fight with chrollo in the manga and guess what , it was even more extreme and funnier

Jun 9, 6:05 PM

shanimebib said:
deg said:

They don't ignore it for other shows. Double standards.

They do ignore it for other shows. What are you even talking about?

Jun 9, 6:11 PM

Hisoka isn't really a pedophile, he just likes people who have power, specifically male type.

He was turned on by Chrollo's powers in the new manga chapters and wanted to fight him during the Yorknew conclusion.

He is not even gay, he flirted with Machi in the Heavens Arena arc after a tournament battle.

He only sees Gon as ripe fruit, not as a child, he just sees his potential power. That is why he was shocked when he found out Gon was knocked out after Chimera arc.

Jun 9, 8:36 PM
It's 100% pedophilia, was pretty much confirmed during the Greed Island Arc when they playing Dodgeball I think, that was hella creepy.

Preview MangaManga Store