3It was OK
14.3%
2Disliked it
6.1%
1Hated it
0.0%
Average 4.3
49 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 11, 2019 4:42 AM

Oct 2015
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
welp, that stuff with nishimura was settled pretty quickly

we're in high school era now

sou got a new crush
and we got a new manager
Hottest Take Ever, fite me: Fairy Tail is better than Seiya, Bungou Stray and Hitman Reborn
May 11, 2019 6:33 AM

Dec 2015
A very pleasant episode.
May 11, 2019 8:46 AM

Oct 2015
Surprised by how fast things got dealt with unlike Touch which took its time. I really do hope we get a complete adaptation of this one. I just hope no more dodging bullets occur this time around since Adachi dodged a lot of developments in favor of character growth in Touch
May 11, 2019 11:14 AM

Sep 2017
I love Haruka's first appearance in the anime. She has become one of my favorite characters when I was reading the manga.
May 11, 2019 12:38 PM

Jan 2011
Having the narrator give Nikaidou's circumstances as a voice-over, rather than allowing them to discover the circumstances through action, totally undercut the drama and feels in this episode. This was a high point in the early chapters of the manga for me, so I feel like this arc ended in a bit of fail.

Even though Nikaidou is a really minor character from now on, his story really opened up one of the themes underlying Mix--the relationship of fathers and sons, and how parents try to relive their glory days through their children's sports. And Nikaidou's father's moment of silent tears deserved more of a build up than it got.
rodacMay 11, 2019 12:58 PM
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

May 11, 2019 4:30 PM

Jan 2017
That was a great episode! Some interesting plot points both occurred and were set up in this episode.
May 11, 2019 4:38 PM

Jul 2013
papachulu said:
That narrator should f*ck off and die.
rodac said:
Having the narrator give Nikaidou's circumstances as a voice-over, rather than allowing them to discover the circumstances through action, totally undercut the drama and feels in this episode. This was a high point in the early chapters of the manga for me, so I feel like this arc ended in a bit of fail.

Even though Nikaidou is a really minor character from now on, his story really opened up one of the themes underlying Mix--the relationship of fathers and sons, and how parents try to relive their glory days through their children's sports. And Nikaidou's father's moment of silent tears deserved more of a build up than it got.

I'm no manga-reader but I checked out the chapters adapted in this episode anyway to see if they changed anything, only to find it out to be the exact same in the manga.

Nikaidou's circumstances was told as a narration and even his father's moment of silence tears actually being just 2 panels in the manga lol. I would understand the complaint more if you criticized the anime on its own instead of making it seems like the adaptation was the one at fault for changing stuff.
EasyGo-erMay 11, 2019 4:42 PM

May 11, 2019 5:55 PM

Oct 2015
EasyGo-er said:
papachulu said:
That narrator should f*ck off and die.
rodac said:

I'm no manga-reader but I checked out the chapters adapted in this episode anyway to see if they changed anything, only to find it out to be the exact same in the manga.

Nikaidou's circumstances was told as a narration and even his father's moment of silence tears actually being just 2 panels in the manga lol. I would understand the complaint more if you criticized the anime on its own instead of making it seems like the adaptation was the one at fault for changing stuff.

people always complain about everything as if its the adaptation fault
its an ez thing to do
/shrug

Hottest Take Ever, fite me: Fairy Tail is better than Seiya, Bungou Stray and Hitman Reborn
May 11, 2019 9:35 PM

Mar 2009
Never expected fanservice in this show.
May 11, 2019 10:01 PM

Jan 2011
EasyGo-er said:

I must have misremembered, it's been a few years since I looked at the manga and obviously even if it was done in narration there, it had a pretty big impact on me at the time. It might have been nice to see it animated, but I'm not going to fault the adaptation for choosing to go with the source.
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

May 12, 2019 4:30 AM

Jul 2014
Well... Otomi gave quite the fanservice this episode, not complaining tho.
I can't help but compare what Goro from Major an anime about baseball as well, would do in this situation, into which Im 99% sure he'd kick the coach, the self proclaimed ace pitcher that's holding the team down and the delusional fathers asses, no matter what the circumstances may be.
I checked the manga out and yes, its almost a copy paste adaptation with the narrator, not that I mind but it does undermine the drama a bit, can't tell if the show is trying to be dramatic or funny, maybe both at the same time which feels off.
Anyways hope we finally get into the spice of things, all I want is an MC pitcher with a legit fast pitch like Goro.
May 12, 2019 7:56 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Seriously, the anime could be at least an 8 if it wasnt for the narrator ruining some scenes.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

May 13, 2019 11:25 AM

Oct 2012
I was disappointed by this episode. It felt like they rebooted the premise of the show which kinda makes the previous 5 episodes seem superfluous. I thought the influence Nikaidou's father had over the team was a compelling dynamic for our leads to overcome, but now everything is resolved and the #1 pitcher spot has already been secured. I'm left asking what was the point of all that setup?

Perhaps this was another example of Adachi playing with his own tropes that went over my head like with the whole "are they twins?" thing...

I'm still looking forward to where the show goes from here, but I can't help but feel a bit cheated by how quickly we got to where we are.
May 14, 2019 11:07 PM

Oct 2015
flylikegoldblum said:
I was disappointed by this episode. It felt like they rebooted the premise of the show which kinda makes the previous 5 episodes seem superfluous. I thought the influence Nikaidou's father had over the team was a compelling dynamic for our leads to overcome, but now everything is resolved and the #1 pitcher spot has already been secured. I'm left asking what was the point of all that setup?

Perhaps this was another example of Adachi playing with his own tropes that went over my head like with the whole "are they twins?" thing...

I'm still looking forward to where the show goes from here, but I can't help but feel a bit cheated by how quickly we got to where we are.
Even Touch dodged a really big bullet just when things were flowing well.
May 15, 2019 1:55 AM
May 2019
I agree with everyone, It feels like the resolution to the problem was done so quickly which ruin the setup of the last 5 episodes, I didn't feel the sadness and sympathy for the Nikadou Father and Son that much..

I felt like it the development of the story in the first episodes was rather slow but i enjoyed it and this quick development ruined it.
May 15, 2019 10:04 PM
Sep 2015
DatRandomDude said:
Seriously, the anime could be at least an 8 if it wasnt for the narrator ruining some scenes.

I really like the narrator, she is funny to me.

Jun 25, 2019 10:48 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Great episode!

Narrator having to go through the info dump to get the point across did feel a little inconclusive but it was no biggies for me really. Pretty depressing story for Nikaidou but I’m glad they’ve worked it through and the ‘Roger that’ on both occasions was very nice to see!

On another note, looks like the other female will be formally introduced soon. Sou seems to have a keen eye on her, it’ll be interesting to see if there’ll be a love triangle brewing with Touma crushing her too or something of the sort. Usual Otomi fan service this episode too, but that classmate of hers and the other self-proclaimed ace pitcher getting the ‘L’ treatments were hilarious! New Coach too and it’s great to see Touma ascend to ace pitcher, looks like we’re just about getting started! Super sweet little backstory b/w Otomi and Tou during the final bits, Touma is just .. fantastic, lol.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Aug 9, 2020 12:53 AM

Jul 2015
Well this changes my view on the Nikaidou situation of the manager trying to please Nikaidou's dad and let Nikaidou have the spotlight because of his condition. Time really flew by her with the going to highschool, new manager and Sou's new crush.

Aug 25, 2020 11:35 AM
Apr 2016
Nikaidou's situation was pretty interesting; an unexpected reveal for sure.
Oct 21, 2021 1:20 PM

Jan 2018
I really like Minami as the narrator but I didn't like that the whole story regarding Nikaidou was revealed in just narration. What happened to show, not tell? Episode 25/26 of Touch iirc pulled a similar thing so much better with almost minimal amount of words being spoken. The "what happened?/what's going on?" mystery added so much tension there. It's also a bit hard to be emotional in this scene cos it was spoiled for me in the previous threads lol.
Anyways moving on.

I feel dumb for noticing this only now but Souichirou and Touma are 14 and they were only in junior high and highschool and junior high have separate baseball teams Ig. The new coach is a complete newbie, reading Adachi Mitsuru mangas to learn rules of baseball lol. But since Sou-chan and Tou-chan are quickly getting into highschool I hope Ooyama will be a decent coach. I'm not a fan of timeskips. I know Touch skipped events like graduation ceremonies and cultural festivals (which I thought was a good thing) though. I can get behind a slow burn if the writing is good enough but since there are much less amount of episodes Ig it can't be helped.

I really liked the flashback episodes to when Otomi and Touma were children. These moments give the characters more depth. Anyways looking forward to more Haruka since she's voiced by none other than Kana Hanazawa :P

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mix: Meisei Story Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Veronin - Apr 6, 2019

69 by bankredmeadow »»
Feb 18, 12:46 AM

Poll: » Mix Episode 3 Discussion

Mei-o_Scarlett - Apr 20, 2019

13 by Clonemax2008 »»
Oct 25, 2023 3:23 AM

Poll: » Mix Episode 24 Discussion

Mei-o_Scarlett - Sep 28, 2019

24 by LeenPhoenixRae »»
Jun 3, 2023 10:16 PM

Poll: » Mix Episode 23 Discussion

Mei-o_Scarlett - Sep 14, 2019

14 by LeenPhoenixRae »»
Jun 3, 2023 9:59 PM

Poll: » Mix Episode 22 Discussion

ropiel - Sep 7, 2019

9 by LeenPhoenixRae »»
Jun 3, 2023 9:39 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.