Forum Settings
Forums

I want to use Crunchyroll, but I just can't.

New
May 11, 2019 3:03 AM

Feb 2015
I really was thinking about using CR on a regular basis for anime consumsion. I know it barely supports the industry anyway, but there are actually a few anime on there that I can't watch anywhere else (for example you can't find Yugioh 5D's subbed in HD except on CR). And at the very least it's better for the industry than just pirating it. So tried this test subscription now.

I have several issues with this plattform, but the biggest problem is that the video player is completely worthless and doesn't work at all. I doesn't matter how long I pause the video, it never loads longer than ~1 minute, so I have to constantly stop watching the video. I don't have that problem on any other streaming site. Apparantly the CR video player requires a lot of hardware power (?) which in my opinion is really bizzare, because every computer should be able to run a video, right? I already tried to contact the support, but it seems like they won't help me.

Anyway, how did Crunchyroll get this big, if almost nothing there even remotely works? Not even searching for a series works, because some anime are hidden on the plattform (but if you type in "series xyz" Crunchyroll *episode number* in Google, you can find it just fine.

It especially pissed me off, that so many big Youtube channels always promote CR like it's the best thing ever. There is this really popular anime in Germany called Ninotaku who goes as far as saying everyone who doesn't use CR is a criminal and he constantly makes videos to make his viewers feel guilty for using the likes of Kissanime.

May 11, 2019 3:11 AM

Dec 2011
AshitaNoJonas said:
some anime are hidden on the plattform (but if you type in "series xyz" Crunchyroll *episode number* in Google, you can find it just fine.

Anything in particular? I've never come across a series that they have available to me which hasn't shown up from typing the English title of the series in their search bar.

With regards the video player, their old flash player used to be able to load further, and I agree it is annoying that the current one can't. That said, the issue you describe has only ever happened to me (and my internet is not exactly great speed-wise AND has a habit of going down for 20-30 second periods every now and again for no apparent reason) when the site tries to play the series on 1080p - try setting the player to 720p and see if it plays smoothly for you as it does for me. It only still causes issues if I want to skip the OP or ED and it hasn't loaded anything beyond that, whereupon a few seconds' wait is enough to fix the problem.
kuuderes_shadowMay 11, 2019 3:20 AM
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
May 11, 2019 4:03 AM

Feb 2015
aden- said:
you should download a crunchyroll html5 extension, ever since I have its been perfect

For some reason that doesn't work for me. I only get a black screen. Apparantly you need another programm, but it still doesn't really work :(
May 11, 2019 6:05 AM

Sep 2008
I just watch crunchyroll through VRV.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 11, 2019 6:10 AM

Sep 2015
I've been using CR for a while, 3 years I think.

Never had any problem, but the catalog where I live is sh*t so even paying for it you end in some pirate site because copyright and licenses.

If you have options do not pay for it.
May 11, 2019 6:22 AM

Apr 2013
problem is that half of CR 's titles if not more are unavailable for me (and that unavailable half has around 2/3rd of what interest me) . As for funimation, the home page itself is very clear that it doesn't want me, so let's not even think of watching something over there.
on top of this CR has really been abusing on the number of advert /video lately.
I still watch whatever I can over there, but it really is starting to annoy me.
May 18, 2019 11:22 PM

Mar 2019
AshitaNoJonas said:
Anyway, how did Crunchyroll get this big, if almost nothing there even remotely works?

They probably maximize their ad revenue which certainly makes watching what's there lag to heck. People on YT are just being paid to name drop them. Some years back I had a subscription to CrunchyRoll. The video player almost never worked. It might've actually been worse after I bought that subscription. I've since unsubbed from CrunchyRoll and I avoid using their site. Not pleased with the CR 'service'. Just ignore Ninotaku's videos if possible.
May 19, 2019 1:31 AM

Oct 2014
I think it also depends on your internet because I don't have any issues regarding the player (it only lagged when I tried to use a VPN).

If you truly want to support the industry then you should just go to Netflix because netflix is making deals that cut out the middleman.
May 19, 2019 1:48 AM

May 2015
And at the very least it's better for the industry than just pirating it.
Not really, pirating will benefit anime industry more in the long run until legislation catches up with streaming and will abolish exclusives series.

https://youtu.be/uCYGWeSh378

https://youtu.be/fDF-S68kx5o (this one talks more generally about streaming platforms like Netflix and why pirating will see a resurgence in the coming years if legislation doesn't change, like it did for cinema, abolishing streaming monopolies of TV series. This would hurt the industry in the following years but will benefit it in the long run)

If you feel like you have an hour to spend on the topic https://youtu.be/y4nHOABMEns
zalMay 20, 2019 11:04 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 19, 2019 2:42 AM

Feb 2016
AshitaNoJonas said:
I really was thinking about using CR on a regular basis for anime consumsion. I know it barely supports the industry anyway, but there are actually a few anime on there that I can't watch anywhere else (for example you can't find Yugioh 5D's subbed in HD except on CR). And at the very least it's better for the industry than just pirating it. So tried this test subscription now.

I have several issues with this plattform, but the biggest problem is that the video player is completely worthless and doesn't work at all. I doesn't matter how long I pause the video, it never loads longer than ~1 minute, so I have to constantly stop watching the video. I don't have that problem on any other streaming site. Apparantly the CR video player requires a lot of hardware power (?) which in my opinion is really bizzare, because every computer should be able to run a video, right? I already tried to contact the support, but it seems like they won't help me.

Anyway, how did Crunchyroll get this big, if almost nothing there even remotely works? Not even searching for a series works, because some anime are hidden on the plattform (but if you type in "series xyz" Crunchyroll *episode number* in Google, you can find it just fine.

It especially pissed me off, that so many big Youtube channels always promote CR like it's the best thing ever. There is this really popular anime in Germany called Ninotaku who goes as far as saying everyone who doesn't use CR is a criminal and he constantly makes videos to make his viewers feel guilty for using the likes of Kissanime.

Dude sounds like a loser. Don't worry about any of that. Use whatever means you can to watch anime. I use CR(I have the same issue as you sometimes, it works best on my PS4 with a wired connection. Laptop/computer suck for some reason) I also use Netflix, Hulu, VRV(worst one imo, only use it for Arakawa Under the Bridge). 9an*me is what I use for anything I can't find on the apps I have. Oh I have Funimation for Dragon ball, Ikkitousen, Freexzing, and a few other sexy shows :D As for not being able to find something on CR, it might be an 18+ show. Mitsudomoe doesn't show up when you search on CR until you press enter.
“The world is full of nice people. If you can't find one, be one.”
― Nishan Panwar
8=D ~ O:
May 19, 2019 4:03 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
AshitaNoJonas said:

Their whole PR department does that, you should keep up with them on twitter >_> Like, really, I could forgive the video player bullshit and horrible subtitles and all of the other issues if they didn't present themselves like horrible human beings so often. That's pretty much the catalyst that leads me to taking stronger issue with the problems they have as an actual service.

I mean, fuck, I would pay and I have paid for CR in the past, but they really do try to basically use bullying and social pressure tactics to a disgusting degree in trying to convince people to use their service. I'm a stubborn asshole, so I see stuff like that, or the people like Ninotaku or Mother's Basement that basically have CR's hand up their ass, moving their mouths like ventriloquist puppets to tell you about moral imperatives and what a piece of shit human you are for not supporting CR, and I'm going to pirate CR stuff and refuse to support them even though I can very easily afford to. If I can watch the series somewhere else legal, I have no issue in doing so. If I can only watch it on CR, you best believe I'm watching that shit for free.

This isn't something people should accept as a way to have services promoted to them, like, whatsoever, and I don't give an iota of a fuck about the whole "buuuut legal versus illlleeeeeegal" debate people tend to try to turn this topic into, because that doesn't at all change the sort of tactics CR tries to use to get people to use their services and why they are disgusting regardless. It's entirely something people shouldn't lay down and just passively take or accept, and I'm certainly not going to let myself get bowled over like that. It feels like a matter of maintaining basic dignity to me at this point.

I'll buy BDs and source material and merch, and I'll pay for services that aren't run by people who actively repulse me with how they try to interact with their consumerbase, and I do all of these things. I'm just not paying for CR. They get nothing from me. And I doubt they ever will.
ManabanMay 19, 2019 4:14 AM

May 19, 2019 4:17 AM

Jun 2015
By supporting crunch, you're supporting half-assed subs, SJW cartoons, and bad game localizations/censorship a thousand times more than you are the industry.
May 19, 2019 9:36 AM

Feb 2010
Yes Crunchy is garbage, but they had more or less a monopoly for the longest time and that certainly helps, especially when it comes to cashing in on the 'legal only' crowd who don't care about quality or how the people offering a product behave, because nothing except legal consumption is even a factor for them. So if the only legal option is garbage, they will pay for garbage and feel good about it because it makes them better people than the rest of us, in their perspective. CR probably knows this, while also knowing that the majority of the pirates would still pirate even if they improved their service, so why bother improving anything? They basically held the 'legal only' crowd hostage until recent years slowly started to provide some alternative streaming services.

These days with more competition it might come to bite them in the ass tho, but for the longest time the business model seems to have worked very well.
I probably regret this post by now.
May 19, 2019 9:46 AM
Jul 2018
ShadowMonkey said:
By supporting crunch, you're supporting half-assed subs, SJW cartoons, and bad game localizations/censorship a thousand times more than you are the industry.

basically this. love cr
May 19, 2019 9:58 AM

Jun 2015
changelog said:
ShadowMonkey said:

basically this. love cr
Holy shit that's amazing. Plotagon is a treasure
May 19, 2019 12:30 PM

May 2015
Pullman said:
Yes Crunchy is garbage, but they had more or less a monopoly for the longest time and that certainly helps, especially when it comes to cashing in on the 'legal only' crowd who don't care about quality or how the people offering a product behave, because nothing except legal consumption is even a factor for them. So if the only legal option is garbage, they will pay for garbage and feel good about it because it makes them better people than the rest of us, in their perspective. CR probably knows this, while also knowing that the majority of the pirates would still pirate even if they improved their service, so why bother improving anything? They basically held the 'legal only' crowd hostage until recent years slowly started to provide some alternative streaming services.

These days with more competition it might come to bite them in the ass tho, but for the longest time the business model seems to have worked very well.
The issue is that what we see is not really competition as in competitive market but competition as who can buy more exclusives, and that's still monopoly because there are no alternative streaming services for exclusive shows. Streaming services won't start really innovating and offering the best platform they can until streaming monopolies of most shows will be allowed.
May 19, 2019 12:34 PM

Jul 2017
Use it with Guess Pass, don't give your money to this shit
May 19, 2019 12:59 PM

Dec 2012
Eh? I have no trouble with CR. It's probably your graphics card or you don't have the right video plugin installed. You should try technical solutions like updating graphic card and video monitor drivers and installing codecs. Maybe your connection speed is slow and it keeps kicking out off.

Then again you're trying to watch a US based website in Europe which means you will only be able to access the anime that Crunchyroll has a legal license for in Region 2/B and what it doesn't should be blocked to you. If you are having a lot trouble watching a certain show or Crunchyroll is hiding it from you it could just mean they didn't buy the region 2/B streaming rights for that show. It is probably, not a fix all solution for your anime needs unless you live in the United States and even then they don't get every show.
KruszerMay 19, 2019 1:39 PM
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

May 19, 2019 5:04 PM

Sep 2010
I only have problems on my PS4 app on my laptop and desktop I never had any problems whatsoever.
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
May 20, 2019 2:24 AM

Apr 2017
I don't have any problems, even when using my highschool's internet, it'd work fine. Why not just try it out for a month and see how it goes?

More topics from this board

Poll: » What's with all the hate from the MAL community towards Anitubers?

Alpha_1_Zero - 1 hour ago

20 by tchitchouan »»
59 seconds ago

» How is anime doing in the UK these days?

VeryRedBags - 4 hours ago

7 by tchitchouan »»
5 minutes ago

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18?

bluefin2004 - 3 hours ago

17 by tchitchouan »»
6 minutes ago

» Early-mid 2000s anime – what are your thoughts?

Haneken2086 - Apr 23

36 by funtime43_tr »»
10 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 23

99 by watsym »»
14 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.