Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Jun 3, 2:10 PM

I'm here in hype train

Jun 3, 6:00 PM

This is my favorite slice of life anime, I hope the season is as beautiful as the movie was.

Jun 3, 6:00 PM

Made my day.

Jun 3, 6:03 PM

Alright well

Here's a conversation I had a couple of weeks back with @JustaMAL in the Cute Girls Doing Cute Things club, Non Non Biyori 3 parts in bold.

nDroae:
If you're looking for long-running shows, another is Minami-ke, but beware; many (myself included) felt that after the excellent first season, it mostly recycled the same situations and jokes ad nauseam. YMMV. Hidamari Sketch is great partly in that time actually progresses in it. Individual episode parts are chronologically out of order, but after the first two seasons it moves on to the next year of school, leading up to the senior girls' graduation, which I still haven't watched because I don't want it to be over :(

JustaMAL:
I think the passage of time and the subtle development of the characters in CGDCT either makes or breaks the show.

My first CGDCT anime was K-On! and needless to say it turned my normie shounen watching ass into a full blown moetard. It was the first piece of media to ever make me cry, and as someone who never cries IRL that sparked something.
After that the only thing that really filled the void left by K-On! was Yuru Yuri. Now that there's an OVA coming out and a third season of Non Non Biyori I'm beginning to feel a little spoiled because I haven't had to experience an agonizing wait for them like a lot of OG fans have.

Sometimes just having so much of a series to watch is nice, even if some stuff is recycled. I don't get the same area of feelgood moe gratification outside of series like this.

nDroae:
K-On is a beautiful journey. What would be an example of a CGDCT that was damaged by the passage of time within it?

JustaMAL:
For me personally it was Saki. That could be because it's also kind of a sports anime in a way though. Some matches in the tournament arc just kept going on and on for multiple episodes at a time and each time I got to the end credits and the game wasn't over yet I was a little annoyed clicking over to the next episode.
Now if the third season of Non Non Biyori is another repeat of that first year Hotaru moves to the countryside I think that might hurt it because it'll be much of the same and the gimmick will have worn off. I'm hoping it's not just another repeat of Repeat.

nDroae:
Hmm, sounds to me like the issue there was more the pacing than the progression of time. That is typical of sports anime, for example a single boxing match in Hajime no Ippo can last three episodes. (Not really related but I stopped watching Saki after the first season, because The Nationals only adapted the beginning of that part of the manga, and last I heard the manga was still on the national tournament and going at a pace approaching Berserk or HiatusXHiatus)

I agree, after the Vacation movie broke out of the time loop I was looking forward to a third season in the following year, but Rederoin wrote "The whole manga[minus flashbacks] takes place in the same school year." https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3096067

Repeat was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than any Minami-ke sequel, though ;)

Lemonchest wrote last year "I'm still holding out hope that one day we'll get a continuation of S1, with the group having to deal with Komari's impending graduation etc. Everything since has felt like the shows producers (& paying audience) balked at the realisation that the series wasn't all sunshine & happiness under the surface." https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=5061250#5061250 Which I don't think is fair (I replied there) but I agree I'd like to see the story go there.

JustaMAL:
Yeah you could say that. That's valid. I sort of lump pacing and progression of time into the same thing because if it isn't flowing naturally it's usually one or the other.

Candy boy is a good example of an anime where time seems to stand still while it's taking place but the world it's built in progresses naturally.

That's concerning about the third season, but you never know. Maybe they'll manage to surprise with a ton of anime original content.

I genuinely love Repeat. It does everything the first season does and just does it better. But if we were to repeat that year again it would feel like all character progression was lost again. Renge might need to pull a Rika Furude and break them out of that time loop.

I just want to see the story continue. I want to see how things change once Hotaru gets familiar with the countryside, I want to see how her friendships develop and if Komari ever figures out her crush and how she would react to it. It would be interesting to see one of the characters either distance themselves from their friends or get ostracized for doing something unforgivable and how that plays out being that they're literally the only children in their area. If they took the graduation angle I would want to see the impact and the frustration that brings to Hotaru and Natsumi. That said, I'm not expecting Clannad from Non Non Biyori.

It's super popular because of how good it is as a healing anime. We shouldn't expect them to try to turn it into a tearjerker.

nDroae:
I was surprised to see a couple of people say they liked Repeat less than the first season. Even rewatching in chronological order, Repeat stands out as better. Apparently there's a lot more Non Non Biyori manga to adapt now, but it's all in that year before the vacation, and readers seem okay with it, but of course it is its own medium. I kind of want to interview manga readers about how it feels never being able to move forward, but I think I'd rather just wait for the show to either surprise or disappoint :P

Bajar:
I am perfectly happy with it never progressing.

Anise_Punter:
repeat is the higher quality season imo though neither are really my type of show

Jun 3, 6:27 PM

Nyanpasu!

Jun 4, 12:09 AM
Pay2Win

Niiiiiiiiiiiice! Love shows like these after long work day, smooths my heart

Jun 8, 2:38 PM

Just what my doctor prescribed, I wasn't expecting a 3rd season that fast after the movie (even tho its been like a year) but I'm always ready for some relaxation.

(Also waiting for some KomarixHotaru moments even if it's just in Hotarus mind)
One day I'll be active here, in the mean time I'll keep track of what I watch offline 😅

Jun 9, 5:03 PM
i can't believe i have another reason to live

Jun 9, 7:54 PM

Hope it's a sequel instead of additional scenes to the first season. Continue on from the movie where Natsumi meets her soulmate.

Jun 10, 1:05 PM

I'm aboard lol I love Non Non Biyori.

Jun 14, 12:32 PM
Oh my! This is fantastic news!!!

Jun 21, 9:13 AM

NYANPASU, HYPE!!!

Jul 5, 7:01 AM
Utterly the best SoL anime (for me), relieving my soul & mind with all its aspect, such a beautiful masterpiece ❤️ Couldn't wait the next season wohoo 🤗

Jul 19, 9:44 AM
Hype! when is it happning??

Pages (2) « 1 [2]