Forum Settings
Forums
May 10, 3:36 AM
I'm going to compare it to some anime since basing from my experience of watching this (I watched it for 4 times), i can say that it is overrated... Why?

Clannad After Story
I can say that it is better that A Silent Voice since it talks about friendship, family, maturity, acceptance, regrets, experiences, memories, and everything and that even though the character design is average from its time period (big eyes or something), the story itself carry it and that makes it a masterpiece. It can change one's perspectives... When comparing it to this movie, I can say that Clannad After Story deserves to outrank A Silent Voice since it has a potential, does A Silent Voice focuses on family? From my perspective, it only focuses about bullying, friendship, regrets, etc. What makes it different to other animes? None right? There are other animes that also focuses on the same genre. The only comparable is the animation wherein we know that the movie will win. The story/plot, Clannad After Story will win, emotional drive factor, Clannad will win.

Mob Psycho 100 II
it focuses about Mob's journey that people change, maturity, expressing feelings, friendship, trust and the like. And that brings the comedy, drama, and a lot of fight scenes which can be said to have a good animation. What nakes it better than A Silent Voice? The whole story itself. It also focuses about bullying in which it comes to a point of what if Shigeo doesn't have a psychic powers... It is shown from one of the episode that he is also getting bullied but HE NEVER ABUSED HIS POWERS TO OTHER PEOPLE which is great and I know tht we can learn alot from that. From Reigen's and Shigeo's quotes, i can say that it is amazing. When comparing to the Male MC of A Silent Voice (Forgot his name) to Shigeo (Mob), I can say that Shigeo is more matured since there are reasons if you guys watched the series.

I would say tht it deserves 7/10

May 10, 3:53 AM

Well, that's exactly the score you should put in your list. Or do you expect to project your own personal opinion on everyone else's scores? Good luck with that.

May 10, 4:11 AM

It depends to them. I really like it so I gave 9/10.

May 10, 4:31 AM
くみこ

you don't have to love it just because it's widely acclaimed.

"Dogs are our link to paradise. They don’t know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring—it was peace."

May 10, 10:24 AM

MasterOfTheory30 said:
does A Silent Voice focuses on family? From my perspective, it only focuses about bullying, friendship, regrets, etc. What makes it different to other animes? None right? There are other animes that also focuses on the same genre.

Uhh.. Clannad AS never touched on bullying, and from what I've seen, the majority of anime doesn't either. Making Koe no Katachi stand out and different from your average anime

also unlike Clannad AS, Koe no Katachi doesn't have a bullshit ending, that alone is going to make it better for some people

at the end of the day it comes down to preference, and some people will like one over the other, trying to claim that one is objectively better than the other is stupid, i say that as someone who likes both

May 22, 5:10 PM

The answer to your question "why is this movie overrated?" is: because people have different ways to rate things.

For example you compare movie to TVshows, but personally I don't think this is acceptable.
You also compare it to "Clannad After Story" specifically, but I don't think it is acceptable either. After story wouldn't be possible without first season. It was always a one single story, it is unfortunate that anime-adaptation had to be split into two seasons.
So how do you compare a movie to a 40+ episode story that has a room to go in-depth on pretty much whatever subject it wants?

Then, you finished Clannad After Story quite recently. But many, if not most know this story for 8 years now, many know it longer, from before the anime-adaptation. Because it was always quite famous. Koe no Katachi, on the other hand is relatively new and fresh. With more experience you'll learn that it is pretty hard to compare something you watched recently and liked to something you've seen a decade ago. All you'll remember is that you liked both, so you end up rating both high.

As for Mob Psycho 100 II... I don't see how to compare Koe no Katachi to it at all. But you certainly do.

And then, MAL does not distinguish the factors I named. As well as many other possible factors that come in play when people rate things. It can't be helped. But everyone has his own understanding, or a "set of rules" perhaps, that he uses to come up with a rating.

There are more things I could mention, but I think I am about to arrive to my point here. I would say your own set of these rating "rules" is whatever differs greatly from the mainstream or is not yet firmly established. That's why you think it is overrated.

P.S.
Personally I rated this movie 9 or10, but there were certainly things I didn't quite like. Not to mention that the whole story turned out to be not what I expected it to be. But for now, I struggle to name a movie that does similar things and does them better. I would be happy to see a movie like that though. Then I will be willing to reconsider my rating for Koe no Katachi.
After seeing this movie, in my mind I can certainly picture a different movie. One that I would like much-much more. That hypothetical movie would obviously be rated 10. Compared to that, Koe no Katachi would be anywhere between 7 and 9. But I don't think it is fair. I would probably never rate anything 10 at all if I used comparisons like this.
Modified by Endymion, May 22, 5:47 PM

May 22, 11:56 PM

The golden rule is anything that is 9 or 10 out of 10 is always overrated to someone.

May 23, 2:08 AM

Because it is a godly movie.
Papaya!

May 29, 1:32 PM

The thing i dont get with your reasoning is that you say that the "bullying, friendship, regrets, etc." themes are nothing new in the medium but the " friendship, family, maturity, acceptance, regrets, experiences, memories" themes are?

Only because 2 shows touch similar themes doesnt make them the same or one of them bad.
Both have their flaws and positives and if you prefer Clannad over Koe no Katachi its fine, but to say the one is worse because it doesnt focus on family is just dumb.

Jun 1, 6:42 AM

Because most of the people who overrate this movie are TV Series viewers and never did watch a great movie. So if you gave them a dramatic movie with avarage story-characters, they give you a 10, it's simple.
Trace on. Trigger off. Set. Nine Lives Blade Works.

Jun 1, 5:51 PM

How is this anime overrated as I barely see any people talk about this compared to “Your Name” also even if it is overrated who cares ? Is a good movie that touches on a important issue.
Anime/Manga Gives Heart To The World <3

http://www.youtube.com/user/lust4lyfe101

Jun 3, 10:59 AM

@lust4anime - The popularity of an anime is not the same as the general opinion of an anime
Overrated does not equal Popular
Sorry, the user you are looking for is not available at the moment. You are currently reading text generated by APSAB or "Auto-Programmed-Signature-Mataining-Bot" (patent pending).

ERROR CODE 1979-NIPUL-W3EB
Please Install the Latest Version of MAL.OS as Some Features of Certain Signatures May Not Appear Correctly. You are currently running MAL.OS.V4. Click here to download MAL.OS.V5.

APSAB Version: Beta.98

"The only thing colder than my heart are the stairway railings when it's freezing outside." - Me

Jun 9, 5:19 PM

Mob Psycho 100 S2 does touch on the issue of bullying however it is not a central element of the series

Jun 23, 3:54 AM

Because people prefer different things.
How many times am I going to have to repeat this in forums...
You’re not an elitist, you just think you are because you wanna be special.

Jun 23, 4:04 AM

Gilliesss said:
Because people prefer different things.
How many times am I going to have to repeat this in forums...

Nah I think everyone should have the same opinion as OP because his opinion is the right opinion

Jun 30, 6:32 AM
Woah. Don't compare yo other animes and stuff. Every anime has different perspectives and characters in it. Your opinion of thinking this movie as a overrated. 😂😂😂😂
Don't make me laugh. When I see the box office . I think it should have more than those Disney movies ever made. And maybe there are many movies like this in certain place which many people aren't aware of it.
And last thing,forget comparing the things or people.

Jul 18, 10:52 AM
A work, anime, manga, pop song, etc isn’t valued based on a laundry list of themes, it is a story that either resonates with the viewer or it doesn’t. I think that a silent voice tells a very inclusive and universal story about individuality and conformity throughout school. It takes no easy outs and I often found myself surprised by the characters’ feelings and actions. Even though the outcome is a typical one for romance anime, I found the story remarkably fresh. The only critiques I’ve heard sound like the thoughts of the bullies in the series, where the story has the gall to include the feelings of handicapped people, which is somehow too easy or exploiting to be accepted, making the whole affair too heavy and self important, or too simplistic and light. The motives for bullying the girl were exactly the same, as if we choose that which makes us stand out. Of course, writers do choose their subjects, but until I read a rebuttal from the deaf community in Japan, I chose to believe it was a good choice, and it educated me at times. Don’t get me wrong, I also like mob psycho and clannad but to me they aren’t of a similar tone, so I see no comparison. March Comes in Like a Lion is a closer comparison, tone wise, some similar themes, and I like it too. If there are a lot of romance animes about handicapped people and bullying where the bully and bullied fall in love, I’d like to see them all. Hook me up.

Jul 18, 12:22 PM

Koe no Katachi is not overrated because it has sense of true humanity. Only one anime movie can match this movie which is Kimi no na wa.
These two are the greatest anime movies in history. They deserve better ratting.
"We are the fated broken pieces under the sky"
-Annelotte Kreutz-

Jul 22, 4:51 PM

Lightstone said:
Koe no Katachi is not overrated because it has sense of true humanity. Only one anime movie can match this movie which is Kimi no na wa.
These two are the greatest anime movies in history. They deserve better ratting.

Let's agree to disagree.

Jul 23, 11:29 AM
IKKIsama said:
Lightstone said:

Let's agree to disagree.
let's talk about why you disagree

Aug 10, 2:49 PM
If you say that one thing is overrated and use another thing to explain why maybe you should consider that the other thing is underrated like say a silent voice isn’t overrated but clannad is underrated.

I personally think a silent voice is underrated as I gave it 10/10 That is my personal opinion I think that because i liked it and I probably like it that much because I’m pretty much the target audience for reasons I won’t get into.

It’s always important to think objectively when saying something it overrated because it almost can’t be this is because a movies or shows rating is compiled from thousands of ratings from everyone not one persons opinion meaning the rating a movie/show get is pretty much as close to objective possible.

Aug 10, 2:51 PM

If you want a high ranked overrated movie you picked the wrong one. Your Name is what you are looking for.

Aug 17, 12:35 AM
If I can give it a 11 I would, without hesitation.

Aug 22, 12:22 AM

every anime with over 8.50 rating has a post like this under it.

Preview MangaManga Store