Forum Settings
Forums

Can most people agree that most filler in anime sucks?

New
May 9, 2019 3:58 AM
Feb 2019
Most of the time, filler doesn't add anything to the main storyline, and it can creates plot holes, and it can add unnecessary plot elements to the main storyline, and it can sometimes even hurt the character development of many characters.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 9, 2019 4:02 AM

Dec 2018
May 9, 2019 4:14 AM
Community Mod
Peacemaker

Jan 2017
That is usually true. However, there are exceptions like Violet Evergarden where the first 4 episodes are filler and give Violet much more character development and enhance the world building and give more personality to the side characters.
May 9, 2019 4:16 AM

Jul 2015
Bleach also had filler episodes which didn't add anything and was mostly annoying as there are whole filler seasons.

May 9, 2019 4:18 AM
Jul 2018
It depends on the anime. Some need a few filler for the story to calm down and give the world and characters more development.
And some are just fun. Inuyasha making soup for sick Kagome was so adorable, that's all. I didn't ask for more in a filler episode.
May 9, 2019 4:19 AM

Apr 2011
Rurouni Kenshin was canceled because of filler.
Detective Conan has some of the worst filler episodes you can imagine... and Fairy Tail filler is boring boring boring.
The durarara x2 ova episodes were STUPID beyond compare.

So yeah, except for the rare exception, anime filler is garbage.
Ericonator said:
By definition, everything is retro since by the time you realize something has happened it's already in the past.
May 9, 2019 4:21 AM
Jul 2018
I knew that most of the time it's unnecessary but I didn't realise that it could create plot holes. I bet this can be infuriating.
Does this happen a lot? I'm curious.
May 9, 2019 4:35 AM
Feb 2019
Melody2222 said:
I knew that most of the time it's unnecessary but I didn't realise that it could create plot holes. I bet this can be infuriating.
Does this happen a lot? I'm curious.

Dragon Ball Z is a perfect example of filler creating plot holes. But I'm not honestly sure if that happens a lot or not.
May 9, 2019 4:39 AM

Jan 2018
The only good filler arc is Kakashi's ANBU days in Shippuden

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

May 9, 2019 4:46 AM

Sep 2009
Dave_Adrian said:

that wasn't filler. it was based on a novel of Naruto Shippuden.
May 9, 2019 4:51 AM

Oct 2008
I can agree, however if the filler includes backstory, good quality fanservice or the like than it doesn't necessarily suck.
May 9, 2019 5:30 AM

Oct 2010
Thw only good filler are the beach episodes, too bad naruto doesn't have one, I would give anything for a Tenten in bikini.
May 9, 2019 6:12 AM

Jan 2018
komic said:
Dave_Adrian said:

that wasn't filler. it was based on a novel of Naruto Shippuden.

Yeaa but the whole thing with Root and Yamato are actually not canon

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

May 9, 2019 6:14 AM

Apr 2015
All filler sucks...except Utena filler.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
May 9, 2019 6:31 AM

Feb 2015
Yugioh Duel Monsters has some pretty good filler arcs. I heard Saint Seiya has some too, but haven't watched that much of it. Also, since most Osamu Dezaki anime are based on manga, I assume they have some filler here and there too and I find it hard to believe that fillers written by that guy would suck.
May 9, 2019 6:40 AM
Jul 2018
Bleach has some of the most amazing filler I've ever seen, even better than the canon episodes
May 9, 2019 6:43 AM

Aug 2018
Thank god filler seems to be dying these years.
Im a-ok when stuff like Dororo expands and adapts the source material on its own way.

But 80 episodes of Naruto yelling rasengan this rasengan that with dozens of characters we will never ever see again its boring af.

It's annoying to the point that i cannot watch old Pierrot animes since i will lose a ton of time watching fillers.
I never lie on the internet. What's the point of it...
the chinese noodles ad is an anime and avatar isn't!
triggered

Check out my taste and my profile.
May 9, 2019 7:10 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Obviously most are usually boring but there are a few gold exceptions such as Kyoukai no Kanata Episode 4/5 (not quite sure which exactly). As someone above already mentioned, Violet Evergarden fillers were really nice to keep up with too as it showed the progression of Violet’s Characterization.

Good thing fillers are on the decline as of late, though. Long-running shows as a whole are in decline actually.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

May 9, 2019 7:27 AM
Aug 2018
I would have to disagree, I'd say that in most cases they help or give more back ground information about the character's,some times it's to do with side characters given more info on them, rarely u come across fillers what have nothing to do what so ever just random in most cases I'd have to say their pretty funny besides naruto
May 9, 2019 7:31 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
no, because much of the time it focuses on sexualizing the girls
May 9, 2019 7:32 AM

Mar 2018
Ugh...Detective Conan's fillers are so bad.

It's not even the fillers in the manga, because those are at least technically canon, but the awful, awful anime original episodes.
Like, the last episodes we got that were actually adapting the chapters of the manga (minus the reruns/remasters) was JANUARY, and we don't get another chapter adapted until JUNE. And they cut out an important scene from the end of that story arc!
I honestly want to cry because there's so many and they're so bad. There were a few I liked to be fairly honest, but I feel like now they're just doing AOs because why not.
In fact, Conan was the third anime I ever watched, and I still didn't know what "filler" episodes were. I realize most of the episodes (including filler) in the beginning of the series were from the manga, and while I was okay with it at the time, I just didn't think I could sit through 850 (at the time) episodes, so I stopped after 60 or 70 episode, then I just read the latest chapters of the manga and read up on stuff I would've missed.

Just why are anime fillers so bad...
In terms of a close second for filler episodes, I also really dislike the fillers from "Pokemon: Sun and Moon". They're all pointless, and I just want PLOT. At least X&Y, Black&White, and Sinnoh were better in terms of filler (in that they were GOOD filler).
"Smiles and laughter are always good, but never forget your poker face."
-Kaito Kuroba (aka Kaitou Kid)

"A thief is a creative artist who takes his prey in style. But a detective is nothing more than a critic who follows our footsteps."
-Kaito Kuroba (aka Kaitou Kid)

May 9, 2019 7:44 AM

Feb 2010
If I could safely assume that we are using the actual meaning of 'filler' as in something that wasn't in the source material, then maybe I could agree, tho I've still seen plenty of very good fillers like that. It's mostly Bleach and Naruto which ruined the reputation of fillers for me, and the Naruto fillers even got better towards the end of Shippuuden, so there's that. Aside from them I can't remember any fillers right now that I particularly disliked, I'M sure in many cases I wasn't even aware of something being filler because I don't investigate the source material. Only if it's completely anachronistic or an extreme drop in quality (like Naruto and Bleach) I'll notice something is off.

When I read VE had filler for example, I found those episodes quite good. The filler in the original FMA was solid as well. One Piece fillers tend to be pretty decent too. So yeah, I don't think it's 'most' fillers, it's just the shows with the most filler tend to suffer from it, like Naruto and Bleach. If there are reasonable amounts of fillers, it's often not an issue or even improves the show.

But my experience in this community tells me that half the people who talk about fillers, actually don't talk about fillers but they use it to refer to anything that doesn't advance the 'main plot' to their liking, so basically every episode in slice of life and episodic shows and so on. Which would be a completely different story.
I probably regret this post by now.
May 9, 2019 12:23 PM

Dec 2017
Most of the fillers suck and naruto shippuden is famous for it. But there are some shows with good fillers as well.

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

May 9, 2019 12:24 PM
Oct 2018
Yes, I could've done without the fillers in Bleach
--
May 9, 2019 12:24 PM
Jan 2019
anime-prime said:
That is usually true. However, there are exceptions like Violet Evergarden where the first 4 episodes are filler and give Violet much more character development and enhance the world building and give more personality to the side characters.

What's your definition of filler and why do the first episodes of VE fit it?
May 9, 2019 12:29 PM

Nov 2017
Sometimes filler can be okay.

Like the episode where Goku and Piccolo get their driver's license
ロード中です...

May 9, 2019 12:30 PM

Apr 2018
Trust me, nobody is gonna disagree with you there, bud.
May 9, 2019 12:35 PM

Dec 2015
I like filler if I already like the characters and it's just a fun side story. Gintama has many fillers but you can't tell because they are as good as the source material. Filler is bad when the storylines get serious and there's a noticeable drop in quality, like the whole filler arcs in Bleach and Naruto.
May 9, 2019 1:05 PM
Community Mod
Peacemaker

Jan 2017
DiverseUse said:
anime-prime said:

I define filler as things (plot points, characters, or major events) that were not in the original source material. Since the Violet Evergarden light novel didn't showcase episodes 2-4 (at least from my knowledge) I consider it filler. I don't really mind filler as long I like it and it isn't completely filled with plot holes. I really like most of the bleach filler arcs even though they have their flaws.

Obviously filler can also be defined as wasting time waiting for the source material to get further along, in that case Violet Evergarden might more be considered original material then filler, but whatever.
anime-primeMay 9, 2019 1:15 PM
May 9, 2019 1:40 PM

Aug 2016
That´s one of the most popular opinions when it comes to anime, Ive never seen someone defending them, you must be new here.
:v
May 9, 2019 2:23 PM
Jul 2018
Jp124 said:
I would have to disagree, I'd say that in most cases they help or give more back ground information about the character's,some times it's to do with side characters given more info on them, rarely u come across fillers what have nothing to do what so ever just random in most cases I'd have to say their pretty funny besides naruto
This is a pretty good defense of filler, though you probably should add a couple of examples to back up your claim.
May 9, 2019 2:26 PM

May 2019
i can accept fillers only if they will be in parallel to main story:
- 1 story ep +1 filler in week
but not like
- 1/20 filler in week and then story line
May 9, 2019 2:37 PM
Jul 2018
anime-prime said:
DiverseUse said:

I define filler as things (plot points, characters, or major events) that were not in the original source material. Since the Violet Evergarden light novel didn't showcase episodes 2-4 (at least from my knowledge) I consider it filler. I don't really mind filler as long I like it and it isn't completely filled with plot holes. I really like most of the bleach filler arcs even though they have their flaws.

Obviously filler can also be defined as wasting time waiting for the source material to get further along, in that case Violet Evergarden might more be considered original material then filler, but whatever.
I'm curious as to why people define the word like that. It seems this definition came from trends as anime in the past used to add filler to wait or the manga(i.e Sailor Moon) not the actual definition. When I look it up, it just states it as episodes that aren't related to the main storyline("Filler episodes are entries in a generally continuous serial that are unrelated to the main plot, don't significantly alter the relations between the characters, and generally serve only to take up space." -TV Tropes "disapproving something of lower quality included in a film, broadcast, speech, record, etc. in order to fill all the time or space:"-Camridge Dictionary). In most definitions of this word, it relates to filing time unnecessarily: " an item serving only to fill space or time in a newspaper, broadcast, or recording."-Google

"A filler word is an apparently meaningless word, phrase, or sound that marks a pause or hesitation in speech."-Thought.Co

Most definitions of the word us "fill" hence the name filler(https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/filler). The word doesn't seem to refer to original vs adoption, it's a weird way to define it imo.

There was one site that supported this definition, but it was fan voted. So the most popular definition of it won(Uran Dictionary).
removed-userMay 9, 2019 2:49 PM
May 9, 2019 2:44 PM

Mar 2016
Reapermask said:
Bleach also had filler episodes which didn't add anything and was mostly annoying as there are whole filler seasons.
Please, no! You're going to give me PTSD flashbacks of those endless months of Bleach filler.
May 9, 2019 2:47 PM
Jul 2017
I like filler that’s made by the original author. Stuff that they didn’t add in the manga but made themselves in anime. Like Made in Abyss episode 9 where they explored the third layer and Riko had to watch over Reg while he passed out.
May 10, 2019 1:32 AM
Aug 2018
well yes because it makes the story much more longer than it already is *cough* naruto *cough* and i just think that some are IRRELEVANT
May 10, 2019 2:08 AM

May 2009
MonsterTeeth said:
Can most people agree that most filler in anime sucks?
Either I haven't seen enough filler, or I've seen filler that I like, so I can't agree with this opinion, sorry.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
May 10, 2019 2:13 AM

Jan 2009
just for long running TV anime (like One Piece, Naruto, Bleach, etc) that have a lot of filler episodes, they usually do a lot of filler episodes to make the TV ratings stay up (hence more TV ads profit) until there is enough manga material to animate again

but there is not much long running TV anime now a days though, heck they are starting to do seasonal arcs only like what they are doing with My Hero Academia and Attack on Titan

EDIT:

also long running TV anime profit the most by selling merchandises, so to keep the fans interested on buying merchandises the said anime needs to keep exposing itself at least every week to those potential buyers lol
degMay 10, 2019 2:20 AM
May 10, 2019 2:24 AM

Jul 2012
I would disagree with the most filler aspect. Fillers when executed well can be a nice side story and salvage pacing issues from trying not to surpass the manga. Bonus points if they're also directly related to higher budget content like a movie. If a filler is executed well it also shouldn't be easily distinguishable from source material content by viewers with no exposure to the source material.
Sure some fillers match those qualities but I don't think most fillers are nearly as damning or bad as you described and tend to be just average or underwhelming side stories.
GamerDLMMay 10, 2019 2:27 AM
May 10, 2019 2:33 AM
May 2017
generally, filler arcs are worse than canon arcs, but there are some exceptions to the rule, like One Piece's G8 arc
May 10, 2019 2:36 AM

Mar 2010
I enjoy almost all of one piece fillers (except Long ring arc which i dislike) but I agree fillers usually suck..
May 10, 2019 3:13 AM

Apr 2017
one piece fillers are enjoyable because they take a break from each long long long arcs, most fillers are boring because I just want to get back to the main story but there are cute and memorable fillers too.
May 10, 2019 3:14 AM

Mar 2019
Naruto is full of plotholes thanks to fillers. while many anime perhaps have fillers to "cover" plotholes.

You Can Not Build The World With Beauty!
You Need Brain And Muscle!

Oh, Seriously?

Then You Can Not Destroy The World With Beauty!
Instead, You Need Brain And Muscle To Do So!
Only People With The Most Superior Brains And Muscles
Can Be The Best At Destroying This World!
But Who Has More Superior Brain And Muscle Anyway?
Me Or Her?

May 14, 2019 3:51 AM

May 2009
come to think of it I could have posted a hotter take my first post in this thread

remember the Orange Islands in Pokémon?

not only did I like it

I actually wanted it to become part of the games, complete with their unique versions of gym challenges

yeah I know they later implemented the Sevii Islands but it's not the same
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
May 14, 2019 4:05 AM
Lewd Depresso

Jul 2008
not really.

Some fillers I rather enjoy, most I'm neutral about. But few I love, few I hate

I.E most Bleach filler arcs I loved, whist Naruto Shippuuden fillers I rather despised.

Conan, Fairy Tail, One Piece etc... most of time I didn't even notice fillers and enjoyed the episodes.
May 14, 2019 9:09 AM

Dec 2016
Nah, sometimes filler can be pretty good. For example, Bleach has so many different characters that it was impossible for Kubo to devote enough time to develop them all, but the fillers actually took over that role for him and spent time on the lesser-known characters and put them in the spotlight. There were also some interesting world building filler arcs like the zanpakuto arc.

IMO the main reason why people hate fillers is not necessarily because they are badly written, but rather that they take you out of the main story even though you want to know what happens next, making them feel like a distraction.

What's the difference?
May 14, 2019 9:40 AM

Oct 2013
May 14, 2019 12:24 PM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
That DBZ parody episode in gintama (the no-smoking episode) was the best filler i've seen.

Fillers are only annoying if you're watching an anime while its airing anyways.
May 14, 2019 5:22 PM
Jul 2018
No I can’t agree. Because the fillers in bleach filled my heart with massive joy and happiness.
May 15, 2019 12:11 PM

Dec 2014
I think it depends on the type of filler and the anime in question. For example, A Certain Scientific Railgun uses filler to flesh out the side characters, while also allowing the viewer to see more of the detailed and complex setting of the anime, which is Academy City. Their fillers usually follow a side character whereas Black Clover uses fillers as a chance to get the audience to know the background of a character, like Charmy.

Now, shows like Dragon (Freaking) Ball Z... OOF
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Anime you only knowledges about is from the memes

Spunkert - 48 minutes ago

9 by Dumb »»
2 minutes ago

» What are your thoughts on harem anime?

BuddhaIsBetter - 23 minutes ago

4 by iThink »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » has the majority of people (here) seen the big 3 ? ( 1 2 3 4 )

ame - Apr 16

160 by Saiunknown »»
11 minutes ago

» Describe your anime watching as one sentence.

LenRea - Apr 11

35 by SignsOfSuicide »»
19 minutes ago

» How you feel about non-Japanese entertainment/media using Anime art style?

Dragevard - 11 hours ago

27 by Mishiia »»
25 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.