Forum Settings
Forums

Why do you prefer anime over live action television or other available media?

New
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
May 11, 2019 2:44 AM

Mar 2016
Hunter-Chan said:
Do not get me wrong I love a good sitcom or drama but when I watch anime I go to a different zone I feel more invested in characters over other medias. I figured I would ask you all what you thought as I am curious of other peoples motivations. ( Sorry for the long post have a lovely day/evening) ^.^

To me anime is just another way of telling a story. It doesn't really matter if it's a book, a comic book, anime, a movie or a TV show, as long as it's good I enjoy it.

To me it's more important to find a story I'm interested in and excited about, rather than how the story is told.
May 11, 2019 2:49 AM

Sep 2015
I prefer some stories as anime and some stories as regular shows and movies. Some stories just fit animation better. There are things that live action cannot make work because of realism.
May 11, 2019 2:56 AM

Jul 2016
Music will always be at the top for me, always, especially Classic Rock such as Led Zeppelin/Pink Floyd/ACDC/etc.

Live action and Anime are both good, no need for one to be better than the other. My top ten favorite movies are live action, with only two being Anime, but I like both mediums so no need to compare.
May 11, 2019 9:29 AM

Aug 2012
Ryuk9428 said:
nightcrawlercyp said:

1. No, I dismiss the study because it was not conducted based on scientific methodology
2. About lawyers I understand . I mean their job is very similar to criminals, about doctors I kinda doubt it but again correlation does not imply causation
3 . "Furthermore, every country where corporal punishment of children is common have higher levels of youth violence, higher levels of violent crime, higher levels of war, conflict, and terrorism. You think that the French are hitting their kids more than the Pakistani and Iraqi parents are? Corporal punishment is extremely popular in the Middle East. In the US past during decades when corporal punishment was at its most popular, we had our highest rates of violent crime." Ok, so according to you the increase of violence has nothing to do with being piss poor countries or with Pakistan and Iraq being majority muslim countries so having a toxic ideology to start with but with corporal punishment? Your logic is so skewed and your confirmation bias so high.... is over 9000!!! Also you go with countries in middle east but how about countries in east europe and n&EAsia? About US you shot yourself in the foot. The crime in young people has been steadily increasing due to lack of father figures and corporal punishment. You even have students rioting at schools and beating the crap out of teachers and other students... or does this not count? Doesn't french and german car burning matter either? You cherry pick data and ignore factors just to fit your ideology.
4. "You hit your kid, you teach them that some kinds of violence are okay. You teach them that some violence is okay, and you open up the possibility that they will consider similar or more harsh forms of violence to be okay as well. At the very least, you make them more tolerant of violence." If you hit him as punishment for a certain act and you tell him that you teach him there exists limits and if you go beyond them you will get hurt. Also some violence is ok. Think of a tree when you cut his branches you are hurting it and is an act of violence, but thanks to that it is healthy and bears lot of fruits. Similar thing with teaching kids limits with corporal punishment. Also note that corporal punishment should be the last thing when the children just refuse to listen. Time outs and groundings do not work. In some cases kids can only understand by pain. Also if one is not tolerant to violence at some level it will be easily controllable by those that are.
5."They don't see fighting as being as big of a deal as kids who weren't spanked, they are more likely to hurt their friends as "a joke," they are more likely to bully people in small ways or not think bullying is a big deal, they often think there's nothing wrong with parents hitting their kids or with people hitting their dogs." So? fights between kids are generally not a big deal as long as they do not escalate. Also bullying is part of growing up. It strengthens people.
6. You seem to not make a difference between beating the crap out of child for no reason and spanking a kid for something he has done while explaining it to the kid. Also you are in denial about how the anti spanking movement has destroyed generations of kids. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6wOt2iXdc4

Crime has not been increasing, crime is much lower now than it was in the 1970s, 80s, and 90s. Its actually slightly lower than it was even in the early-mid 2000s. There's a lot of talk about how much homicide rates dropped, but what isn't talked about is how much the assault rates dropped. The assault rates dropped even more dramatically than homicide did. You wanna talk about cherry picking, choosing ghetto schools where kids beat up their teachers is absolutely cherry picking. As if that never happened at any shitty schools in the 70s and 80s. Also, spanking and corporal punishment is significantly more common in ghetto communities than it is in middle-upper class communities which further invalidates you acting like corporal punishment somehow makes people more peaceful.

A lack of corporal punishment is a symptom of not being a shitty country. When a country is less shitty, the disappearance of corporal punishment of children naturally occurs. Eastern Europe does have higher levels of conflict and crime than Western Europe does. And if by NE Asia, you're talking about South Korea and Japan, corporal punishment is not very common there. I'll bet its common in North Korea though.

Correlation does pretty much equal causation when the correlation applies in almost every case. You can't just automatically dismiss correlations with that theory.

See? You just proved my point, being spanked taught you that certain forms of violence are okay or not a big deal. You don't think that bullying is a problem, you think it strengthens people, and you don't consider kids fighting to be a big deal. Violence starts small and escalates. If you don't curb it in the beginning, then you give it room to grow. Corporal punishment deliberately plants a seed that leads to further acceptance of violence.

The problem with spanking is that parents who do it don't think its a big deal so they do it many times throughout a kid's life. Spanking a kid on ten separate occasions is worse than belting the kid once. Small acts add up in terms of psychological damage. Belting the kid once did more in the moment but its not going to be as bad as the cumulative effect of a parent who keeps spanking their kid thinking they're doing nothing wrong. That's why its extremely dangerous to ever normalize any form of violence. People need to know its wrong so that they only occasionally do it, feel guilty, and then try to never do it again. People who think they're doing nothing wrong will commit it over and over again.

Kids are literally are so fucking easy these days to discipline because they're all so addicted to their phones, video games, and general electronics. All you have to do is take away their precious video games for a month and they will never want to be a brat again.
Ryuk9428 said:
nightcrawlercyp said:

1. No, I dismiss the study because it was not conducted based on scientific methodology
2. About lawyers I understand . I mean their job is very similar to criminals, about doctors I kinda doubt it but again correlation does not imply causation
3 . "Furthermore, every country where corporal punishment of children is common have higher levels of youth violence, higher levels of violent crime, higher levels of war, conflict, and terrorism. You think that the French are hitting their kids more than the Pakistani and Iraqi parents are? Corporal punishment is extremely popular in the Middle East. In the US past during decades when corporal punishment was at its most popular, we had our highest rates of violent crime." Ok, so according to you the increase of violence has nothing to do with being piss poor countries or with Pakistan and Iraq being majority muslim countries so having a toxic ideology to start with but with corporal punishment? Your logic is so skewed and your confirmation bias so high.... is over 9000!!! Also you go with countries in middle east but how about countries in east europe and n&EAsia? About US you shot yourself in the foot. The crime in young people has been steadily increasing due to lack of father figures and corporal punishment. You even have students rioting at schools and beating the crap out of teachers and other students... or does this not count? Doesn't french and german car burning matter either? You cherry pick data and ignore factors just to fit your ideology.
4. "You hit your kid, you teach them that some kinds of violence are okay. You teach them that some violence is okay, and you open up the possibility that they will consider similar or more harsh forms of violence to be okay as well. At the very least, you make them more tolerant of violence." If you hit him as punishment for a certain act and you tell him that you teach him there exists limits and if you go beyond them you will get hurt. Also some violence is ok. Think of a tree when you cut his branches you are hurting it and is an act of violence, but thanks to that it is healthy and bears lot of fruits. Similar thing with teaching kids limits with corporal punishment. Also note that corporal punishment should be the last thing when the children just refuse to listen. Time outs and groundings do not work. In some cases kids can only understand by pain. Also if one is not tolerant to violence at some level it will be easily controllable by those that are.
5."They don't see fighting as being as big of a deal as kids who weren't spanked, they are more likely to hurt their friends as "a joke," they are more likely to bully people in small ways or not think bullying is a big deal, they often think there's nothing wrong with parents hitting their kids or with people hitting their dogs." So? fights between kids are generally not a big deal as long as they do not escalate. Also bullying is part of growing up. It strengthens people.
6. You seem to not make a difference between beating the crap out of child for no reason and spanking a kid for something he has done while explaining it to the kid. Also you are in denial about how the anti spanking movement has destroyed generations of kids. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6wOt2iXdc4

Crime has not been increasing, crime is much lower now than it was in the 1970s, 80s, and 90s. Its actually slightly lower than it was even in the early-mid 2000s. There's a lot of talk about how much homicide rates dropped, but what isn't talked about is how much the assault rates dropped. The assault rates dropped even more dramatically than homicide did. You wanna talk about cherry picking, choosing ghetto schools where kids beat up their teachers is absolutely cherry picking. As if that never happened at any shitty schools in the 70s and 80s. Also, spanking and corporal punishment is significantly more common in ghetto communities than it is in middle-upper class communities which further invalidates you acting like corporal punishment somehow makes people more peaceful.

A lack of corporal punishment is a symptom of not being a shitty country. When a country is less shitty, the disappearance of corporal punishment of children naturally occurs. Eastern Europe does have higher levels of conflict and crime than Western Europe does. And if by NE Asia, you're talking about South Korea and Japan, corporal punishment is not very common there. I'll bet its common in North Korea though.

Correlation does pretty much equal causation when the correlation applies in almost every case. You can't just automatically dismiss correlations with that theory.

See? You just proved my point, being spanked taught you that certain forms of violence are okay or not a big deal. You don't think that bullying is a problem, you think it strengthens people, and you don't consider kids fighting to be a big deal. Violence starts small and escalates. If you don't curb it in the beginning, then you give it room to grow. Corporal punishment deliberately plants a seed that leads to further acceptance of violence.

The problem with spanking is that parents who do it don't think its a big deal so they do it many times throughout a kid's life. Spanking a kid on ten separate occasions is worse than belting the kid once. Small acts add up in terms of psychological damage. Belting the kid once did more in the moment but its not going to be as bad as the cumulative effect of a parent who keeps spanking their kid thinking they're doing nothing wrong. That's why its extremely dangerous to ever normalize any form of violence. People need to know its wrong so that they only occasionally do it, feel guilty, and then try to never do it again. People who think they're doing nothing wrong will commit it over and over again.

Kids are literally are so fucking easy these days to discipline because they're all so addicted to their phones, video games, and general electronics. All you have to do is take away their precious video games for a month and they will never want to be a brat again.
I think you actually believe the bs you are saying despite evidence for the opposite being true. The parent that does not beat his child does not love him. Yeah, really easy to discipline.... take their games because they cannot take them back or steal money and buy others and the list continues... you are so indoctrinated by that belief that you cannot see the truth. I am sorry for you.
May 11, 2019 10:10 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Iunno, I wouldn't even say that I do. I like animation in general more than live action just on the basis of what mediums we're talking about, but there's live action stuff that I absolutely adore all the same. And if we're just talking about media in general like the end of the thread title implies, instead of anime versus live action, then there's western animation, videogames, music, so on and so forth, that I like a lot as well, and the latter two I honestly probably spend more time with than I do anime.

I didn't grow up with anime like a lot of people here did and I already had established other hobbies by the time I got into it, and I'm not just going to abandon all of this other shit I like a lot because anime is here, so I'm not really limiting or even preferential towards anime on a general level over other forms of media I enjoy. There's specifics I like about anime over other forms of media, sure, but there's specifics in other forms of media I really like that anime is missing.

I'm most active in this fandom and MAL's community for fandom stuff still, but sometimes I feel like that's largely residual due to how much I had established my presence on this site a couple of years ago, as opposed to an outright preference over other hobbies.

May 11, 2019 1:25 PM

Apr 2010
Cause I don't need to compete with anyone about who's watching TV...

May 12, 2019 8:43 AM

Nov 2013
Cabron said:
Grandassassin said:
One reason why I prefer anime over western media is pretty obvious, more variety. It’s the same song and dance with live action tv: drama, comedy, reality shows, repetitive everything. Not being a weeb it’s a true fact, same with anime having the same old shit but there’s a catch, more unique premises are being pumped out of anime and manga compared to live action tv. Are there newer tv shows about a doctor trying to undo his mistakes 9 years later after saving a boy from death, no. Do you see any tv shows that have two people getting their bodies back after horribly trying to resurrect their mother, no. Are there tv shows that have a swordman who was born from a dead corpse, was raped as a child, forced to fight survival and have him betrayed by his friend by raping his girlfriend and dismembering his arm and one eye gouged out, no. I could add more but that’s just a waste of time because there aren’t tv shows or comic books like that currently and probably for the next 10 years.
Or comics books?
Pick up an Image or Vertigo comic, then get back to me.

spaceinvaderlum said:

i gotta say...this thread doesn't deserve you.
Not sure if sarcasm or if you're being honest lol? If it's the latter, it's true though.
They're lenient with anime but want to shit on other media without truly exploring it? Nah, not buying it.

wasn't sarcasm, I wholly agree! Anime fans tend to just have really uneducated/narrow minded opinions, probably because they /might/ all be kinda young.
May 12, 2019 9:00 AM
Jan 2018
The episodes are shorter and the animated style allows shows to go beyond the physical limitations of reality.
May 12, 2019 9:05 AM

Jan 2017
Hunter-Chan said:
I have always been a fan of many types of media but more recently I have been getting into anime! I personally prefer anime over more conventional episodic content because I feel like it has more heart. When someone takes the time to animate something you can feel the love being put into it over someone acting. Do not get me wrong I love a good sitcom or drama but when I watch anime I go to a different zone I feel more invested in characters over other medias. I figured I would ask you all what you thought as I am curious of other peoples motivations. ( Sorry for the long post have a lovely day/evening) ^.^

It's all the same to me. All are shows, no one says "I'm a live action tv show fan" so why do people who watch anime often say their an anime fan? I just find it silly that there are separated, like all of it is the same. Side note, I hate when people get mad when anime are called cartoons. They are cartoons you dumbass.
you're cool
May 12, 2019 1:32 PM
Apr 2019
I think that Anime talks about stuff and does stuff a little differently and it suits me better.
For example: cliches
really, right now stop and think about movie cliches and anime cliches.
A little different, and I think when comparing movies and Anime its always like this, it truly is just a little different, but for some unknown reason anime with the same story makes a bigger impact on me, than a movie would.
May 13, 2019 3:23 AM

Jan 2019
I prefer anime, because they're cartoons (I like cartoons).
May 13, 2019 3:31 AM

May 2017
ehh i just thought about this recently and espec in fantasy genre,live media kinda losses that goofy funk animated 2D platforms have,espec in sci fi genre
u would say at first its just more creative but considering how much other live media has enhanced thru times comparing to anime it cant be just that
i just think the concept of 2D has much more freedom in certain genre than other live media like movies /tv shows

i wouldnt compare music in this cuz its something totally different and it works on other frequinecies
Apr 11, 2020 2:55 PM

Apr 2019
Honestly, for me- it really depends on the show itself, not if it's 2d, 3d, western, or japanese (etc).

Now, for example- there are definitely times where i'd rather watch an episode of the golden girls- than like whatever anime I was last watching. But some days, i'd just wanna watch a episode of like mushi-shi than whatever live action show.

I think it also depends on what mood im in that day.
( p.s yes all the live action shows are shows your grandma probably watches ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ )
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Which season of Vinland Saga do you guys prefer?

MillerEvans23 - 1 hour ago

10 by Piromysl »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you think you could fall in love with a fairy?

Shizuna - Yesterday

41 by Adnash »»
5 minutes ago

» thoughts on Chinese anime? ( 1 2 3 4 )

ryo-san - Mar 6, 2022

183 by alshu »»
6 minutes ago

» What anime do you refuse to watch since you have already read the source material?

Kushna - 9 minutes ago

0 by Kushna »»
9 minutes ago

» Is this why he invented it?

SgtBateMan - Apr 13

22 by Adnash »»
11 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.