Forum Settings
Forums

Which licensing company would you say is the worst?

New
May 5, 2019 7:04 PM

Oct 2018
Other than 4Kids, I would say Tokyopop due to the bowdlerization in their translations, though their dub of GTO was fairly good.
May 5, 2019 7:07 PM

Jul 2007
probably Funimation honestly

☆☆☆
"There's a huge difference between one and infinity.
However, compared to the difference between
existence and non-existence, one and infinite are
nearly the same. I am the child destined to become
the best witch... no... The greatest Creator in the world...!"
-Maria Ushiromiya
☆☆☆

May 5, 2019 7:21 PM
Jul 2018
Aniplex because their blu-rays are way too expensive.
May 5, 2019 7:37 PM

Dec 2013
It'd have to be Pony Canyon USA. Their releases are pretty expensive and they don't really offer anything to justify them.

Everyone else offers something. Aniplex offers releases that are the closest to their Japanese counterparts. Funimation has reasonable prices for decent to good releases. Sentai has really good sales for their barebones releases and nice collector's editions. Discotek releases really old stuff and Lupin. All of their dub work is pretty comparable these days.
May 5, 2019 8:13 PM

Sep 2010
LordAura said:

Everyone else offers something. Aniplex offers releases that are the closest to their Japanese counterparts.

Those are actually really rare when it comes to things that are outside of imports or anniversary collections like Gurren Lagann.

Look at their Valvrave releases for $130 a pop you get 13 episodes and a couple of cards I think and thats it. So basically almost $300 for 24 episodes and flimsy cards. Most of their stuff is either $60 for 4 episodes or $120 for 12 with hardly any bonuses. Some of the releases they sit on for months and then release barebones for the exact same $100+ price tag which again was my flack with Valvrave.

My least favorite companies is of course Aniplex of America and Pony Canyon USA for price gouging and for the most part do not offer anything to justify the prices at least to me.

Discotek and Sentai/Maiden Japan on the other hand are the best companies cause they offer anime classics or niche titles from the early 00s.
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
May 5, 2019 8:20 PM

Apr 2014
Harmony Gold is literal cancer that refuses to die.
May 5, 2019 8:22 PM

Dec 2013
@Roloko

Yeah I meant more their actual bluray quality than the extras. My Aniplex blurays are by far the best looking of any that I own. I don't deny that they're way too expensive, but in my opinion their actual discs are better than anyone else in North America.
May 5, 2019 8:41 PM

Apr 2018
4kids ruined the yugioh dub with censorship and shitty soundtracks

The talent on that dub was great (especially Dan Green), honestly such a waste
May 7, 2019 6:30 AM

Apr 2015
The drooling zombie that is Media Blasters.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
May 7, 2019 7:15 AM

Oct 2014
Any of the USA only licensing company that locks Europe out is the worst in my opinion.
May 7, 2019 7:33 AM
Jul 2018
Bourmegar said:
Any of the USA only licensing company that locks Europe out is the worst in my opinion.

Funimation lock even their website from Europe. You cant even browse
May 7, 2019 7:41 AM

Oct 2014
petran79 said:
Bourmegar said:

That plus all the commotion that keeps on going on there.

How can they be woke while locking out countries?
May 7, 2019 7:42 AM

Dec 2015
EndlessMaria said:
probably Funimation honestly

I will agree with this.

This is just to take up space.

May 7, 2019 9:07 AM
Jul 2018
Bourmegar said:
petran79 said:

If they keep this they'll go from woke to broke :D

May 7, 2019 1:39 PM

Oct 2018
CatSoul said:
The drooling zombie that is Media Blasters.

Have they licensed anything this year yet? And, I also didn't like how they treated Sayonara, Zetsubou Sensei and for licensing Eiken and Jungle de Ikou.
May 7, 2019 1:40 PM
Jul 2018
Funimation. At least Crunchyroll and netflix brings most of it to my continent.
May 7, 2019 1:47 PM

Mar 2018
Funimation

They are trash.

Read the reviews below from the staff that worked at Funimation and you will know why they are trash.

https://nl.glassdoor.be/Reviews/FUNimation-Reviews-E381678.htm?countryRedirect=true
PsychoEkinMay 7, 2019 4:38 PM
Evangelion is shit
May 7, 2019 1:56 PM

Oct 2018
Funimation for sure, Crunchyroll is not that bad
May 7, 2019 2:12 PM

Oct 2018
Sukima said:
Harmony Gold is literal cancer that refuses to die.

I doubt they'll last long after their rights to Macross expires in 2021.
May 7, 2019 2:12 PM

Aug 2018
Probably whoever put out that atrocious Ghost in the Shell Standalone Complex Blu-ray release.
Funimation has its problems but usually fairly inexpensive so I guess you get what you pay for. Aniplex of America is the complete opposite and everyone else is more or less in between or comparable to the two I mentioned. At least out of the titles I own unless you mean streaming.
May 7, 2019 2:14 PM

Aug 2018
ExodiaX said:

So you think there are only two anime licensers in the world?
May 7, 2019 2:18 PM

Mar 2019
petran79 said:
Bourmegar said:

It's the same here in Australia yet they continue to send me emails about shit they sell lol.
May 7, 2019 2:21 PM

Oct 2018
Bebop_Hakusho said:
ExodiaX said:

Of course not but these two are the most recognizable one and there is no point to mention 4kids anymore.
May 7, 2019 2:23 PM

Aug 2017
Kerylon said:
4kids ruined the yugioh dub with censorship and shitty soundtracks

The talent on that dub was great (especially Dan Green), honestly such a waste

And 4kids is still ruining the cardgame.
Even in Europe, as our cards are all simply translated from english
May 7, 2019 2:26 PM

Aug 2018
ExodiaX said:
Bebop_Hakusho said:

Of course not but these two are the most recognizable one and there is no point to mention 4kids anymore.

Yeah but does that automatically make Funimation the worst just because it's the only one popular enough to be as recognizable as Crunchyroll?
May 7, 2019 3:38 PM
Jan 2009
PsychoEkin said:
Funimation

They are trash.

Read the review below from the staff that worked at Funimation and you will know why they are trash.

https://nl.glassdoor.be/Reviews/FUNimation-Reviews-E381678.htm?countryRedirect=true

While there are valid criticisms for Funi, sometimes these could be fake reviews.
May 7, 2019 4:16 PM

Oct 2018
I agree with the opinions about Funi (though I'm still annoyed about how they treated Sgt Frog), also I don't like how they never release OVAs or shorts from their shows. Even Media Blasters was able to do this.
May 7, 2019 6:56 PM

May 2009
Bourmegar said:
petran79 said:

Assuming what you say is true (which I haven't ever checked, since I'm in the US and don't feel like getting a foreign proxy just to do), my guess is that it has nothing to do with petty ideological spats and more to do with licensing. It's easy to geolocate an IP and go "oh, this IP is from [country/region], we're not licensed to let people in [country/region] stream our stuff, so let's just simply keep them seeing the website". Compare that to picking parts of the website to let people use and having to come up with elaborate ways of locking them out of other things. Not very elegant, but gets the job done.

@Swizze you can't geolocate e-mail addresses the way you can geolocate the IP addresses of computers accessing your website.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
May 7, 2019 8:20 PM
May 2016
My local licensor, Madman.

There is so many anime that still aren't avaliable on DVD/Blu Ray years after they ended that have been licensed by Funimation and had full English dubs made.

I have been asking for New Game! on DVD for nearly three years now!

And because Funimation took the dub away and Crunchyroll still haven't added it despite saying they would when The Split happened, I have had to watch the dub on KissAnime.

Screw you, Madman. Give me my legal New Game! waifus legally

More topics from this board

» Anime Time Capsule

eli_shmeli - 4 hours ago

11 by Horizon248 »»
4 minutes ago

» What anime do you refuse to watch since you have already read the source material?

Kushna - 10 hours ago

18 by Zayvex »»
5 minutes ago

» What percentage of anime that you've seen did you pirate? ( 1 2 3 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 13

134 by DesuMaiden »»
9 minutes ago

» What is your most re-watched anime? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

62 by Jackson1333 »»
10 minutes ago

» I made a fake anime seasonal chart using AI. Which of these sounds interesting to you? ( 1 2 )

FFandMMfan - Apr 13

73 by Saiunknown »»
11 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.