Forums

Anime is the most artistically diverse category of art ever

New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
May 5, 2019 10:47 AM

Jan 2009
syncrogazer said:
deg said:
you ignored my second paragraph that tells im not looking for a 1:1 adaptation or being a purist about the anime adaptations

I didn't ignore it, it just didn't help me learn anything and I didn't feel like quoting it.

we are talking about art and anime is also an art of story telling

Yeah yeah, I know. I think we've already been over this.

So basically some fans of popular franchises don't like the adaptations and that means anime isn't artistic. Got it.

err way to miss the point

adaptation = conversion, adjustments, modification
and those things usually fail when it comes to anime adaptation as proven by the sourcefags and because of the fact that anime adaptations are usually just long advertisements for the source material anyway
May 5, 2019 10:57 AM

Mar 2016
deg said:

and those things usually fail when it comes to anime adaptation as proven by the sourcefags

I'll just recycle what I said previously that sourcefags aren't reliable.

I really don't feel like continuing this. It's like we're talking past each other at this point. In the end I don't see the connection between anime existing as a commercial product and this idea that it lacks in 'creative expression.'

Anime isn't high-art and I'm very aware of that fact, but an anime's relation to its source isn't inherently 'limiting' in my mind, especially not so much that we should make a general rule of it.
May 5, 2019 11:12 AM

Jan 2009
syncrogazer said:
deg said:

and those things usually fail when it comes to anime adaptation as proven by the sourcefags

I'll just recycle what I said previously that sourcefags aren't reliable.

I really don't feel like continuing this. It's like we're talking past each other at this point. In the end I don't see the connection between anime existing as a commercial product and this idea that it lacks in 'creative expression.'

Anime isn't high-art and I'm very aware of that fact, but an anime's relation to its source isn't inherently 'limiting' in my mind, especially not so much that we should make a general rule of it.

welp i will recycle my comment too and say anime is generally limited artistically, i will add the anime overproduction and animator shortage crisis this days also severely limits the talent and time to creatively produce an anime this days too anyway

and you already said that anime isnt high-art too anyway and that is especially true to majority of anime adaptations and majority of anime are anime adaptations

so ye lets just agree to disagree
May 5, 2019 11:14 AM

Jan 2017
Irka4 said:
By extension, we can call anime the most artistic category within any medium ever (pinnacle of human expression...!!!!!)
Some may say there are many great cartoons too, but cartoons lack the diversity of expression that anime has

What do you think, is there any specific category of art that can match up to anime?

You know maybe that's true but like, anime is garbage though so it's fucking trash
you're cool
May 5, 2019 12:18 PM

Apr 2012
I think what you're looking for is that anime is the most artistically diverse subject of a coherent fandom which I know of.
May 5, 2019 12:29 PM

Apr 2016
Dude is reaching with his biased view a lot

Irka4 said:
Minerbit said:

I definitely agree, in addition to video games are much more immersive and allow you to enjoy and delve more into the story. Some video games combine scenarios and music in a more epic way than any Anime.

It is not made of drawings, so the amount of expression is far less

And you need to specify category within video games

And you need to specify category within cartoons oh wait, i mean animation, oh wait i mean japanese cartoons oh wait
May 5, 2019 7:04 PM

Jan 2013
Just because anime is mass produced it doesn't mean it's diverse.

weetI guess, as long as I have life, all I can do is fight with all my might.
May 6, 2019 12:18 AM

Jul 2013
Anime is the most artistically diverse category of art ever or whatever means jack to me and anime is barely artistic anymore with so many anime having dorky art-styles and mediocre frame rates for juvenile pandering (looking at One Piece's production quality plummeting). Unless anime is really changing for the best, then the medium being artistically diverse still means jack to me and is also subjective (to me).
May 6, 2019 12:48 PM

Feb 2019
thevagus said:
As far as my knowledge goes, it is definitely music.

Anime is a great art form but not as diverse as music.

OP needs to listen to Throbbing Gristle, then Tiny Tim, then come back and give us a second opinion.
May 6, 2019 3:54 PM

Apr 2017
I don't think it is. I mean.. Art is a completely subjective matter.
So I don't think that we can say that anime is the most diverse category of art ever.
Many people will say music, many will say paintings, many will say literature etc.

In my case, I honestly don't know what is for me the most diverse category.
I can affirm that anime is my favorite category tho.
May 6, 2019 4:31 PM
May 2019
Not even close.

======
Your message must contain 30 characters excluding BBCode, quotes, images, and spaces.

Current character count: 13

Warning: Please do not bypass the character limit with random letters, hashtags (e.g. #charlimit), or other text which does not contribute to your post. Doing so will be considered spam, and may result in the removal of your post and/or an official warning/ban from a moderator.
=====

Haha, I see.
May 6, 2019 5:34 PM

Jan 2017
Do you even read bruh? books are faaaaar more diverse. Movies and music are way more diverse too.
May 6, 2019 6:43 PM

Jul 2013
As a medium anime is too young compared to the likes of music or novels, it's just not even close quite frankly.

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

May 6, 2019 7:05 PM

Aug 2018
LOL, the community has a bad rep because of people like you... art is just limited by imagination, and all kind of arts are as diverse.

May 6, 2019 8:33 PM

Jan 2011
Wouldn't even matter if it was since the anime fans are notoriously small minded towards anything that differs slightly from what they're used to.
May 6, 2019 8:44 PM

Dec 2011
pls let me hit u with my art history book first, then we'll talk.
May 6, 2019 8:58 PM

Mar 2014
In all honesty its video games. Why ? Everything an anime, movie, song and so on can include can also be included in video games while the opposite is not true. Video games "Can" have at the same time, great visuals, great music, great story, great characters, and can let you take control of things in many different ways.
The genre is somewhat limited to the current shit taste of the majority, however, it is THE medium with the most potential.
Currently, the medium with the most diversity is definitely books. However, Video Games have even more potential, it is still a really new medium, with time, who knows what will be possible.

Profile Picture and Avatar/Signature made by SenpieX, requested in this thread :https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1568530&show=0
May 6, 2019 9:33 PM
Jul 2018
Most anime is aimed towards teenagers and juvenile adults who fap to anime girls. Anime is hardly diverse.
May 7, 2019 1:47 AM

Oct 2015
Dude experimental stuff can't survive at all unless it's from a renowned director like Masaaki Yuasa. How can it be artistically diverse if monetary concerns hamper artistic freedom and creativity?
May 7, 2019 1:56 AM
Nov 2018
Irka4 said:
Aidoru-Ojisan said:
No not really, seeing as the industry itself doesn't let free form and underground stuff survive or even give the creators some form of income compared to mediums like music, which allows both for money-grubbing and free forms of the medium bring in some sort of an income. And when I say free form I really mean free form, music is the only medium that I know of that you can't really objectively judge because there is always a reason why the end product is the way it is, low production on the record? Welp once you know more about the music world you know that lo-fi production is made to give off a certain soundscape that can increase the emotions of said record, low production for an Anime? Welp either the creators were lazy or they ran out of money resulting in an Anime that will end up with a 5 mean score here. To be able to embody many forms of stories and emotions just with sound for thousands of years is much more impressive than Anime that has a lot more aspects to carry it. Yet I can agree Anime can be amazing when it is in the right hands, kinda sad to know the economy crashing in the later 2000s is the reason of the decline of risk taking ideas for Anime which I hope to see again cause when creators are more free to do as they wish for any artform the end result is likely to be something worth giving your time to.

Workers may be overworked, but there is no creativity without limitations. Also this means that what drive the workers is not money but passion, which make it even better
Anime is also a medium where every drawer can add personal touches to the scene, and every scene is full of expression
Another thing is that music is too broad a category compared to anime
And music increasingly sound the same, and rate of development of new expression is faster in anime than in music

It does sound nice and all that what drives workers in anime is passion and not so much money but the same can be said about any worker of any art form and the workers of anime definitely deserve to get paid anyway.
May 7, 2019 1:57 AM
Nov 2018
Irka4 said:
KreatorX said:
Paintings and music ? They have been around since centuries or even thousands of years and were simultaneously developed in nearly every civilization known to mankind.

That's too big a category

But even without that, anime include both, and make them work in perfect harmony. Anime music is also better than most music we have today, and paintings in anime can be phenomenonal

Why would it matter that anime include both?, Cartoons and Movies include both too and that doesn't make a difference, also anime music is good but most music today is better than it is.
May 7, 2019 2:19 AM
Nov 2018
Peaceful_Critic said:
There are actually great arguments here for the other side. I was agreeing with OP potential wise(which is the angle they thought of it from too), but animation is new compared to other mediums, not to mention more expensive. Lol, I'm adding nothing, just an echo flower, nothing to see here:

I think that it could be true that anime is more expensive than some art forms videogames are still more expensive than anime is, for example gta v a game that was released in 2013 had a cost of 265 million dollars to be produced, that's more than what many franchises piled up like dead bodies one over the other have cost.
May 7, 2019 11:19 AM
Jul 2018
LiedElfen said:
Peaceful_Critic said:
There are actually great arguments here for the other side. I was agreeing with OP potential wise(which is the angle they thought of it from too), but animation is new compared to other mediums, not to mention more expensive. Lol, I'm adding nothing, just an echo flower, nothing to see here:

I think that it could be true that anime is more expensive than some art forms videogames are still more expensive than anime is, for example gta v a game that was released in 2013 had a cost of 265 million dollars to be produced, that's more than what many franchises piled up like dead bodies one over the other have cost.
Well, that's quite costly for the average videogame. Don't use an outlier for proof, it seems like one of the more expensive games. Though games on average do cost more than anime:"Nintendo's own Reggie Fils-Aime states developing games for the Nintendo DS is cheap, costing only a few hundreds of thousands of dollars to develop and only needing to sell 100k units to make a profit. Wii games require about $5-10 million in the average case, including marketing costs. He asserts PS3 and X360 games need much more resources, from $20 million up to a staggering $50 million"

Anime is actually pretty cheap compared most other cartoons as well. It cost $145,214 per 30min episode(Proof). Talking on Cartoons, they are more expensive than Wii game because per episode they cost 1 to 2 million(Proof) which would add up quickly. Even cheap cartoons cost three hundred and fifty thousand to half a million. So anime is cheap compared to other mult-medium art forms.
May 7, 2019 11:30 AM

May 2009
In its so far relatively limited amount of time in existence, anime very definitely has a preponderance of some genre tropes over others, so it is not as diverse within its own medium as a number of media that have existed for much longer periods of time and thus gone through a greater number of stylistic and content trends. For example, it can't compare to the breadth of content that written literature has seen.

Heck, anime doesn't even compare to manga in this sense, given how there are far more manga series in existence and most anime have a manga but many manga don't have an anime.

In terms of the number of individual information channels that a medium makes use of, anime is merely equivalent to live action (which also has images, action, sound, script, and music), and arguably below anything that uses both live action and animation in combination. But number of information channels used doesn't magically make a work greater anyway.

So, anime is cool, but it's not some sort of "pinnacle" of human artistic expression. Not like one can be reasonably defined anyway.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
May 7, 2019 1:33 PM
Oct 2018
lol, no. Anime is extremely stylistically conservative. It's dominated by content pitched at uncritical teenagers, in maybe 4 or 5 extremely well-trodden genres where derivative content dominates (not exclusively, but more often than not) with almost zero concerns for real, completely unbridled artistic expression and experimentation (as opposed to commercial motives, and riding trends) unless you get way out into the no-one-watches-it niche shows way out on the fringes (with a handfull of rare exceptions).

I love anime, but in terms of unbounded creativity, it doesn't even come close to painting, or film, or music, where the IS real variety and creative diversity. Anime is more similar to a single, broad musical genre, like "metal", or "electronica" or "hiphop" where yes, there's a certain amount of creativity and variation- but only within relatively narrow confines, and following the "rules" of the established norms of that scene.

May 7, 2019 2:34 PM

Aug 2018
You probably feel as confident in saying this as you are just because Anime is the only form of artistic expression you've explored enough to appreciate its diversity. All artforms have the same potential for diversity in their own unique way and most reflect this in my experience. Exceptions may include younger/more corporate controlled mediums like live action tv, western animation and video games.
Also possibly really niche and defined genre that leave little room for variation.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» That moment when you realize...

Dominusew - 6 minutes ago

2 by Nemo_Niemand »»
1 minute ago

» what's the worst anime you've watched and what exactly was the worst part of it ? ( 1 2 )

ame - Apr 7

66 by 23feanor »»
19 minutes ago

» which antagonist is your fave and which one you cannot JUST TAKE SERIOUSLY ?

ame - 6 hours ago

13 by Otakupervert890 »»
26 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 23

90 by Theo1899 »»
29 minutes ago

» Upcoming Dubbed Anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenny_Stryker - Dec 17, 2017

9069 by anime-prime »»
43 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.