Forum Settings
Forums
May 4, 1:33 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 1126
Squealer (Shinsekai yori)
Orihara Izaya (Durarara)
Esdeath (Akame ga kill)
Ulith (WIXOSS)
Piena Augustra, Nashetania Loei (Rokka no Yuusha)

In this order.
 
May 4, 1:36 AM
Offline
Joined: Mar 2018
Posts: 270
Meruem, Chrollo Lucilfer , Hisoka these guys were cool af
 
May 4, 3:00 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 39
Hikki_a1 said:
Yaaki said:
Definitely Ichimaru Gin from Bleach. His whole character, irresistable and honest smile, they way he speaks, but above all, his whole behaviour and the reason why he did what he did <3.


I am going to watch Bleach during the summer break. Once I watch it depending on his character I may like him a lot :D


As someone who loves Bleach, as well as Gin, trust me, you won’t regret watching Bleach during your summer break.
===============
Juri–"I've a soft spot for kings and gods. I love the look on their faces when I defeat them!"
===============
[i]Moka—Know your place![/i]
 
May 4, 3:32 AM
Offline
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 32
My favorite villain/antagonist is madara uchiha because is so strong and I realy liked his ideals,also I like lite yagami and aizen.
 
May 4, 3:36 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 320
Lasha123 said:
My favorite villain/antagonist is madara uchiha because is so strong and I realy liked his ideals,also I like lite yagami and aizen.


Madara is a badass such a good villain, definitely one of my favourites :D

Kaguya in Naruto is not a good villain, I really hated her as the final boss.
 
May 4, 3:39 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 320
Astariya said:
Hikki_a1 said:


I am going to watch Bleach during the summer break. Once I watch it depending on his character I may like him a lot :D


As someone who loves Bleach, as well as Gin, trust me, you won’t regret watching Bleach during your summer break.


I want to watch Bleach now but I have exams coming up so instead I am watching other shorter anime.
 
May 4, 3:47 AM
Offline
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 3
Hmm... let me think

I like Sōsuke Aizen for bleach
Has planning was amazingly done he is simple but powerful and mastermind
 
May 4, 3:55 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 14334
Hmm I have so many favorites.. Chrollo Lucilfer and Hisoka from HxH, Gilgamesh from Fate, Stain from BNHA and the Deadly Sins from FMA. They are all extremely evil..
 
May 4, 4:12 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 689
My favorite antagonist would be probably Kaiki from Monogatari, along with Kirei from F/Z and F/SN. I think that Kyubei from Madoka Magica and Kira from JoJo part 4 also deserve a mention.
 
May 4, 4:26 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 320
Steiner1411 said:
Meruem, Chrollo Lucilfer , Hisoka these guys were cool af


Hunter x Hunter has some of the best villains :D
 
May 4, 4:33 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 798
That villain from Nadia was one of the most cunning ones I've seen considering he led an evil organization

shadowblaster5 said:
It'd have to be Mereum or Doflamingo.


 
May 4, 4:33 AM
Offline
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 40
My favourite villain from anime is naruto shippuden
 
May 4, 7:21 AM
Offline
Joined: Mar 2018
Posts: 270
Hikki_a1 said:
Steiner1411 said:
Meruem, Chrollo Lucilfer , Hisoka these guys were cool af


Hunter x Hunter has some of the best villains :D


I'm just sad that we couldnt see more of Chrollo Lucilfer lol, his life is basically a mystery xd
 
May 4, 7:30 AM
Offline
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 4
I would probably say Johan Liebert from Monster. Another contender is Makishima from Psycho Pass.
 
May 4, 11:31 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 320
Synchrohayba said:
My favourite villain from anime is naruto shippuden


Hahahaha, eventhough I am a Naruto fan this was very funny lol.
 
May 4, 11:34 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 320
Steiner1411 said:
Hikki_a1 said:


Hunter x Hunter has some of the best villains :D


I'm just sad that we couldnt see more of Chrollo Lucilfer lol, his life is basically a mystery xd


We have to wait for the manga but at this rate I don't think it will come anytime soon lol.
 
May 4, 12:01 PM
Offline
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 6
Hisoka in HxH 2011
L in Death Note
Envy in FMA Brotherhood
 
May 4, 12:11 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 312
The president of the united states aka Valentine
And also the Phantom Troupe
 
May 4, 1:03 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 12
I think one of my favorite villain characters is Hisoka from HxH and other would be Dio from Jojo
Modified by Arti-Joestar, May 4, 1:06 PM
 
May 4, 1:45 PM
Offline
Joined: Jul 2015
Posts: 984
People often talk about how a good story needs a good villain, but that's not true. It just needs some kind of challenge for the protagonist to overcome, and it doesn't necessarily have to be a conscious entity. If you look at a movie like Cast Away, there is no villain. It's just a guy struggling to survive on a desert island. The wilderness is his antagonistic force.

The common understanding of the relationship is that the protagonist (the main character) is a good guy, the antagonist is a villain, and they fight. But understand the difference between a villain and an antagonist. An antagonist is simply anyone who is in opposition to the protagonist, and morality has nothing to do with it. In Toy Story, you might think Sid is the antagonist because he breaks toys, but he's not. He's a minor villain. The main villain is actually Woody, but he's also the protagonist, while Buzz is the antagonist. Buzz is the antagonist because he (unwittingly) steals the spotlight from Woody, and Woody is the villain because he tries to get rid of Buzz through dishonorable means.

It's not uncommon for the protagonist to also be the villain, because what defines the protagonist is simply being the character who the story is about. In There Will Be Blood, Daniel Plainview is a villain protagonist, and the antagonist is Eli Sunday, the guy who runs the church. In A Clockwork Orange, Alex DeLarge is a villain protagonist, and the antagonists are Dr. Branom, the doctor who subjects Alex to the Ludovico treatment, and F. Alexander, who seeks revenge on Alex for raping his wife.

When you think in terms of "good guy vs bad guy", you limit the dynamics of the story and oversimplify things. If the antagonist wants something bad, he should have a some justification for it. That justification doesn't have to be good, but it should at least be understandable to the audience because everybody sees themselves as the good guy, even villains (unless the point of your story is that the antagonist has accepted that they are a monster and embraced it as some kind of attack against a society he perceives as having wronged him, but that's getting off-topic). It's more useful to think in terms of "one guy vs another guy" because, when you boil the story down, the protagonist and antagonist usually want the same thing, just for different reasons. When a knight in shining armor goes to rescue a princess from an evil wizard, they are both fighting over the princess. When a police officer is trying to stop a gang leader, it's because they're both fighting for control of the streets.

The protagonist is not a good guy. He's just who the story is about. The antagonist is not a villain. He's just the one who competes with the protagonist, usually over the same goal.

That surely was more than 30 characters.
 
May 4, 3:40 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2017
Posts: 342
Gendo Ikari and Makishima Shogo come to mind

Also I kind of forgot Akane Shinjo
but she's also a great villain
Modified by -Nyammy-, May 4, 3:43 PM




Nya? :3


 
May 4, 4:02 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 320
Piromysl said:
People often talk about how a good story needs a good villain, but that's not true. It just needs some kind of challenge for the protagonist to overcome, and it doesn't necessarily have to be a conscious entity. If you look at a movie like Cast Away, there is no villain. It's just a guy struggling to survive on a desert island. The wilderness is his antagonistic force.

The common understanding of the relationship is that the protagonist (the main character) is a good guy, the antagonist is a villain, and they fight. But understand the difference between a villain and an antagonist. An antagonist is simply anyone who is in opposition to the protagonist, and morality has nothing to do with it. In Toy Story, you might think Sid is the antagonist because he breaks toys, but he's not. He's a minor villain. The main villain is actually Woody, but he's also the protagonist, while Buzz is the antagonist. Buzz is the antagonist because he (unwittingly) steals the spotlight from Woody, and Woody is the villain because he tries to get rid of Buzz through dishonorable means.

It's not uncommon for the protagonist to also be the villain, because what defines the protagonist is simply being the character who the story is about. In There Will Be Blood, Daniel Plainview is a villain protagonist, and the antagonist is Eli Sunday, the guy who runs the church. In A Clockwork Orange, Alex DeLarge is a villain protagonist, and the antagonists are Dr. Branom, the doctor who subjects Alex to the Ludovico treatment, and F. Alexander, who seeks revenge on Alex for raping his wife.

When you think in terms of "good guy vs bad guy", you limit the dynamics of the story and oversimplify things. If the antagonist wants something bad, he should have a some justification for it. That justification doesn't have to be good, but it should at least be understandable to the audience because everybody sees themselves as the good guy, even villains (unless the point of your story is that the antagonist has accepted that they are a monster and embraced it as some kind of attack against a society he perceives as having wronged him, but that's getting off-topic). It's more useful to think in terms of "one guy vs another guy" because, when you boil the story down, the protagonist and antagonist usually want the same thing, just for different reasons. When a knight in shining armor goes to rescue a princess from an evil wizard, they are both fighting over the princess. When a police officer is trying to stop a gang leader, it's because they're both fighting for control of the streets.

The protagonist is not a good guy. He's just who the story is about. The antagonist is not a villain. He's just the one who competes with the protagonist, usually over the same goal.

That surely was more than 30 characters.


WOW really nice explanation!!! I never thought of it like this. You used some nice examples within your writing :D
 
May 4, 4:11 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 78
Queen Promethium (Toki no Wa), hands down.
 
May 4, 5:04 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 320
spaceinvaderlum said:
Queen Promethium (Toki no Wa), hands down.


What makes her your favourite villain?
 
May 4, 5:05 PM
Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 45658
Kumagawa Misogi from Medaka Box but he barely appeared on the anime version and he was more awesome on the manga
 
May 4, 5:07 PM

Online
Joined: Oct 2018
Posts: 1711
Squealer from Shinsekai Yori. Liked his buildup throughout the series and made the last arc incredibly captivating and memorable.

 
May 4, 5:57 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2017
Posts: 1149
here my favourite character list is mainly composed of vilains, (14/17) I removed the non villains:
if you have questions I will happily answer all of these characters are great villains and if you like antagonists and such you will probably like these characters
favourite ever




amazing



great

Nick-Knight said:
Gilgamesh. Badass, well-written, prideful, awesome characterization and superb design.
his relation with kirei made him and kirei great characters. they are so interesting together!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
 
May 4, 6:04 PM
Offline
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 10
I got 2 main contenders for this.

Dio Brando from Jojo
All For One from My Hero Academia
 
May 4, 6:11 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2017
Posts: 1149
BigAristotle94 said:
Hikki_a1 said:
My favourite villain/antagonist would have to be Pain from Naruto. I really liked his ideals and the way hee views things. Also his quotes are amazing :D


Pain was an awesome antagonist! He was definitely my favorite in the series. My favorite villian all time though? To many to choose from. Makishima (Psycho Pass), Griffith (Berserk), or even Don Quixote (One Piece) are good contenders for me. I like them because they're ruthless bastards. There is no changing their ideologies mid fight. They're cold and calculating, just great villians all around.
I'm curious, what did you think of hunter x hunter and it's antagonists? they are up there(as you can see in my list on my post above if you're interested) in terms of great characters along with griffith and makishima
Piromysl said:

That surely was more than 30 characters.
I sure agree but nobody said that a story NEEDED a good antagonist did they?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
 
May 4, 6:13 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 320
Zehennagel said:
here my favourite character list is mainly composed of vilains, (14/17) I removed the non villains:
if you have questions I will happily answer all of these characters are great villains and if you like antagonists and such you will probably like these characters
favourite ever




amazing



great

Nick-Knight said:
Gilgamesh. Badass, well-written, prideful, awesome characterization and superb design.
his relation with kirei made him and kirei great characters. they are so interesting together!


Who is the character on the left of your favourite villain list?
 
May 4, 6:15 PM
Offline
Joined: Oct 2018
Posts: 1
Wham from JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Battle Tendency. I really like him because he's an antagonist that recognizes and respects the hero's powers but stills very loyal to his own beliefs. Wham is a honorable, pure and honest warrior.
 
May 4, 6:17 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2017
Posts: 1149
Hikki_a1 said:
Zehennagel said:
here my favourite character list is mainly composed of vilains, (14/17) I removed the non villains:
if you have questions I will happily answer all of these characters are great villains and if you like antagonists and such you will probably like these characters
favourite ever




amazing



great

his relation with kirei made him and kirei great characters. they are so interesting together!


Who is the character on the left of your favourite villain list?
griffith, yes he is griffith. griffith griffth
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
 
May 4, 6:18 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 320
alphasiddy said:
I got 2 main contenders for this.

Dio Brando from Jojo
All For One from My Hero Academia


All for One is a pretty decent villain but I prefer Stain much more.
 
May 4, 6:19 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 320
Zehennagel said:
Hikki_a1 said:


Who is the character on the left of your favourite villain list?
griffith, yes he is griffith. griffith griffth


I haven't read Beserk yet lol so I didn't know.
 
May 4, 6:31 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 194
Not sure if these count but...

'Time' in Steins Gate.
Ainz from Overlord (he's the protagonist).

"Proper" answer- Aizen from Bleach, although he's cliche in several ways he was intimidating at least. Griffith from Berserk is a good choice too.
 
May 4, 6:50 PM
Offline
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 21
The legend himself, Yoshikage Kira
 
May 4, 6:50 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 4328
Gilgamesh, but he's infinity better when he's a protagonist.

Otherwise I also love Madara, Aizen, and Frieza.
My Queens

 
May 4, 6:53 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 84
Runaway_ said:
I think mine is Chrollo Lucilfer from HxH or even the Phantom Troupe as a whole, they are fucking amazing.


This. Glad someone named the Troupe. Honestly so well designed.
 
May 4, 6:55 PM
gelangweilt

Offline
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 110
Being X from youjo senki is one of my fav antagonist
 
May 4, 6:55 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2017
Posts: 141
ladd russo from baccano makes me tingly
 
May 4, 7:25 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 186
Zehennagel said:

I'd have to agree with your list in saying that Hisoka was definitely my favorite antagonist from the HxH series followed by Meruem and Chrollo.

I also see you have Thorkell (or at least I think that's him) and Mozgus on your list which is funny because I just got their introductions in their respective manga and I immediately got a feeling they would be great antagonist! I'm really looking forward to seeing how they pan out. I knew Askelad would be a cunning bastard from the start. I need to get my hands on some more volumes.
 
May 4, 8:00 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2014
Posts: 1050
Izaya Orihara from Durarara. I like how toys with people and just all around a very interesting villain.

I like most of the villains from Boku no Hero Academia, especially Shigaraki.

Gilgamesh is also a great villain, so vain and narcissistic.
 
May 4, 8:06 PM
Offline
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 40
Hikki_a1 said:
Synchrohayba said:
My favourite villain from anime is naruto shippuden


Hahahaha, eventhough I am a Naruto fan this was very funny lol.
why dude , what is your opinion about madara
 
May 4, 9:17 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 102
mine is kaiki deshu from monogatari series.

Modified by BasshunterDOTA, May 4, 9:22 PM
 
May 4, 9:31 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 635
Leleouch is my favorite antagonist.
Just the way how he deals with everything even killing his own friends if they get on his way.
''The sacrifice for the grater good and the outcome justifies'' just makes him intriguing.
 
May 4, 10:12 PM
Offline
Joined: Nov 2018
Posts: 5
Lordgenome from Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann,if he's allowed to be called a villain
 
May 4, 10:19 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 10
Mine is Takasugi Shinsuke from Gintama. Villain Tropes is often "bad guy" has a goal and "good guy" is the one who can defeat him or "good guy" has a goal "bad guy" is the obstacle that stopping him to making progress. I like tropes when protagonist and antagonist has same goal, but they choose different aproach of method to achieve it. First i think Takasugi has a trope of "bad guy" who want just to destroy everything, but as far i know, he has the same goal as Gintoki, as it to "save" their teacher. Their philosphy that they gained and believed is came from their past tragedy with their teacher. Takasugi's "destroy everything", Gintoki's "protect everything", or Katsura's "reform everything".


"What's wrong, Araragi-senpai ?"


 
May 4, 10:19 PM
Offline
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 25
L from death note i kinda hate him but i love him at the same time lol but nonetheless he’s definitely my favorite antagonist
 
May 4, 10:22 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 38
for me, it is Tanya Degurechaff from Youjo Senki
 
May 4, 10:29 PM

Online
Joined: Oct 2018
Posts: 263
Satsuki from Kill la Kill cus she is just beautiful

In terms of writing and character development, I would say Corona in Soul Eater or the teams in Haikyuu.

Prince Zuko from avatar definitely deserves to be at the top but I do no know how it fairs with the anime community lol.

 
Top
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »