Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Fruits Basket Collector's Edition
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
May 3, 2019 2:55 PM

Oct 2011
Tawhida_H said:
Is no one wondering why during the end of that episode when kyou and yuki touched Tohru they didn't turn?

it's need more contact the only that for them to transform...

May 3, 2019 3:18 PM

Oct 2008
I'm starting to feel how good this show is just because of the OST!
I have heard of Fruits Basket but I actually haven't watched it and many say that the original Fruits Basket is well respected...so here we are! nice
5/5.

May 3, 2019 3:48 PM

Mar 2017
Oh my God, that was such a cute episode! I love how much Yuki & Kyo care for Tohru... it's so sweet!
May 3, 2019 3:49 PM

May 2015
Flashback within flashback in a flashback...

So much drama as if she left for another country, no less. No one even had a thought "hey, we'd still see each other at school!" It's only 5th episode but she kept flashbacking like they were living together for several years and it was time to remember how it all started. My memory is just fine to keep up with what happened for 4 episodes, thank you very much.

Her family is something else. I don't quite understand who they are exactly (except for Grandpa, of course) and what's with private detective thing? How convenient to stumble upon her living with guys and miss the fact that she was living in a tent for quite a long time (maybe even longer than with Soumas), huh. So much for caring family not to check on her right after she left. Good riddance. And why would that guy mistake Yuki for a girl? It wasn't even funny.

At least she's back with Souma family and we aren't forced to go through unnecessary drama with that shitty family for longer. Nice touch with fruits basket and Touru being selfish for once, but still, all too melodramatic for my taste.

May 3, 2019 3:54 PM
Jul 2018
HEAD COUNT, WHO CRIED?

... that would be a yes from me
May 3, 2019 4:01 PM

Dec 2016
I was expecting this pivotal episode to surprise me, and it completely failed to do so.

Moving the sequence of events and repeating the climax of the episode kills the momentum that was being buildt up. The second part of the episode although it adds cause and motive for Yuki & Kyo at gramps house feels unnecesary or could at least have been postponed to another episode, or like the 2001 adaptation did it was a short cut explaining Yuki & Kyo's search, without losing momentum.

By being only half an episode with 2 different views on the same subject, Tohru's dichotomy between adapting to her new home and leaving the sohma's feels rushed, lacks the motivation for her to feel like an oddball in a place where she doesn't belong and has spent just an hour or so. The 2001 had some good sequences like Tohru looking out for the dishes and the mother replying with a sigh and showing where they stored the dishes makes Tohru understand that this new house isn't her home and she was already well adapted to the Sohma's house. Also the old adaptation everyone cept for the son didn't feel like a bunch fo douchebags, just a family that started off the relationship of a new member on the wrong foot.

The insert song for the Kyo & Tohru moment even though it's a nice song, it lacks the impact that "For Fruits Basket" had. Like my pops used to say, go big, or go home.

Also I'm not liking this Yuki that lacks finesse and class. The old one felt more intimidating by just calling scum on the son who's a lot taller than him. And what the hell was that fujo joke for?

KimurahMay 3, 2019 4:07 PM
May 3, 2019 4:02 PM

Sep 2008
Tawhida_H said:
Is no one wondering why during the end of that episode when kyou and yuki touched Tohru they didn't turn?

Being hugged or any other sort of direct contact with the Sohma's body results in their transformation. Anything like hand-holding or touching them won't trigger the transformation.
May 3, 2019 4:02 PM
Jul 2018
Tawhida_H said:

hetero hugs is what does the poof to zoo mode. hand shakes and highfives is coo.
May 3, 2019 4:09 PM
Jan 2015
I was hoping 4-eyes would of got dropped harder, but oh well. Nice episode overall.
My Queens

May 3, 2019 4:14 PM

Jan 2016
That insert song moment is one of the best scenes I've ever seen in an anime, so powerful and beautiful at the same time. Man Fruits Basket really is a timeless masterpiece!
May 3, 2019 4:25 PM

Dec 2013
so freaking wholesome!

e: grandpa rules
May 3, 2019 4:43 PM

Dec 2014
That was beautiful.

Damn, I got angry as well when that guy accused Tohru for being indecent. I'm glad the grandpa put him in his place.

The scene where Tohru talks about how she shouldn't be feeling sad for leaving the Soma's household because she was blessed for having her relatives put a roof overhead made me tear up. She's such a sweet and pure girl. Deserves all the happiness she can get. <3

Loved the Kyo and Tohru moments and the insert song was very beautiful.
The shot of Kyo and Yuki extending their hands out saying the 'rice ball is next' was an extremely stellar piece of presentation at the moment. It's lovely way to represent how Tohru finally has a place where she can truly call home again.

This is getting better and better, I'm loving it.
May 3, 2019 4:48 PM

Sep 2017
Grandpa is a bit of a loon but he really came through in the end. Wasn't expecting him to do that.
May 3, 2019 4:56 PM

Nov 2015
Interesting to see the changes with this and older version and the manga...

Didn't expect to tear up with Tohru and that end scene, but man... right in the kokoro.
May 3, 2019 4:57 PM
Oct 2014
The contrast between the two households make me realize just how precious life with the soma’s was when before I didn’t think much of it
Anti-social One

Mar 2013
Lmao, they really gonna milk Yuki as best girl

Jun 2008
nanidatosama97 said:
Tawhida_H said:

If I remember right I think its when normal females engage the touch, not them.

They only transform when something similar to a hug happens.
I love the animation and voice actors but...IDK but the old version made me laugh more and cry more too...maybe it was the ost? I really Am enjoying this adaption but it just feels very bland compared to the old one.

ワンダーランド花 ♥

May 3, 2019 5:02 PM

Jan 2019
-Mahesvara said:
I was hoping 4-eyes would of got dropped harder, but oh well. Nice episode overall.

Hey got mentally dropped when he found out Yuki was a guy and he was infected with the big gay
May 3, 2019 5:22 PM

Feb 2019
i like this version of this episode more than the original one. we actually got to see more from Kyo & Yuki's POV just before they dashed in to "rescue" Tohru. and i still hate her aunt and cousins; but good job Yuki! lol
May 3, 2019 5:39 PM
Mar 2013
I enjoyed episode 5 of fruits basket 2019 but I still prefer the 2001 anime one more because the ost was amazing in the old one and the atmosphere was much more depressing in my opinion that it made me feel so happy when tohru realize she finally got accepted into the fruit basket family with kyo and yuki. The anime original added scene with yuki and kyo was definitely cool to see in this new adaptation. I just hope they can pull Hatori's episode better than the 2001 adaptation because that was heart wrenching for me followed with this episode as second.
May 3, 2019 5:59 PM

Aug 2011
I was wondering how they'd approach this episode, either by stretching it with new material or having 2 mini-episodes. I read the manga back in high school and did a light refresher while I was waiting for the new remake to come out. In the manga there ISN'T a scene that shows how Kyo and Yuki made their way to Tohru save for one flashback panel of them arguing, it doesn't feel long enough for a full episode. But I like how they added it in here, even though it was new material - it gave us a lot more time with them and their feelings for her (side note, 2001 anime approached stretching the episode a different way where they had her stay with her relatives for at least one night and she sees Yuki and Kyo at school once). Remake is exceeding my expectations for it so far.
BunnyflowerMay 3, 2019 6:16 PM
May 3, 2019 6:19 PM
🐰KawaiiDaikaiju🐲

Nov 2017
Happy onigiri!!!

“SAITO! YOU NEED TO EXPLODE! FOR THE WORLD’S SAKE!”
May 3, 2019 6:21 PM

Dec 2016
This episode was very emotional ;-; Tohru sure loves those two boys and they are care for her deeply <3 Cute ending ^w^

[*]My Completed List
[*]♪Listen ►
[/list][/left]
May 3, 2019 6:23 PM

Oct 2015
Yuki and Kyo are really bad boys for taking Tohru like that :):-D

The guy with the glasses was hilarious though
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

May 3, 2019 7:02 PM
Oct 2017
the original adaptation handled tohru's brief departure from the sohma house better
May 3, 2019 7:25 PM

Apr 2014
This episode was so sweet. Every now and then when it counts. You can be selfish or be discouraged about something that is not going well for you. Kyo and Yuki still going at each others throats. They just enjoy tormenting each other that badly huh?
May 3, 2019 8:00 PM

Dec 2014
well the families can beharsh.... so sad for her...but she is always cheerful
May 3, 2019 8:12 PM
Ready to Ruffle

Oct 2014
I felt this kind of emotional moment was too early in the story, but it still really hit me in the feels and I can appreciate that. The music alone had me tearing up.
May 3, 2019 8:17 PM

Jul 2012
Gramps is best boy lol, that slap made me so happy!
I love seeing Yuki and Kyo interacting, is way too funny!
Also, I really like Shigure's chill personality, he's probably my favorite so far.
May 3, 2019 8:42 PM

Jun 2009
This is probably my favorite version of this particular chapter. Really liked how we got the added stuff with Kyo and Yuki.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
May 3, 2019 8:59 PM
Jan 2019
love to see Soma-kun blush, damn those people who judge the history of person with out knowing there true feeling love that when Soma hit that man and think he is a girl
May 3, 2019 9:02 PM

May 2010
Either it's not quite how I remembered it or my emo resist increased by lots.
May 3, 2019 9:29 PM
Apr 2008
I loved this episode. In contrast to other comments, I really liked the pacing and storyboarding.

Y&K trying to find the house, and eavesdropping was also a welcome addition. I was wondering if my memory was failing me or if that was anime only; turns out it was the latter. I liked the dynamic and depth it added to the story, and how it made things flow more like how it could play out in real life.
May 3, 2019 10:20 PM

May 2015
Gramps is the shit.
Coolest grandpa of the year.
May 3, 2019 10:51 PM

May 2015
So "Fruits Basket" refers to the game Tohru was playing in the past...

He got bitch-slapped!

Yuki is not a girl! That guy needs to get a new prescription for his glasses.

And just as quick as the renovations were completed, Tohru returns to the Soma household. For Tohru not having an enjoyable past, moving in with people who appreciate her company was for the best. That's where the meaning of this series' title comes into play.
TarotistMay 3, 2019 10:57 PM
May 3, 2019 11:09 PM

Nov 2018
As a fan of the manga i could never finish the 2001 version, but this new adaptation is doing everything right in capturing the feeling of the manga.
I cried twice this episode, and the scenes with kyo and yuki were pretty funny, tohru looks pretty with the pink ribbon!
I also like how we're starting to see some parallels between kyoko and kyo, besides the fact that they have the same hair color and name.
May 3, 2019 11:19 PM

Sep 2016
Hate to sound like a broken record, but after watching this episode I have to repeat that the old version nailed the pacing. They not only knew where the fast pacing allows for better storytelling but also understood when it needs to be slowed down with enough build-up.
In the old version, there's the scene where the 3 Souma guys suffered from Tooru's leave, which was handled in a funny way of showcasing the sorrow. Furthermore, we also have the scene where Tooru was ordered around by the relatives to do different kinds of household but only to find herself detested.

All these scenes getting cut off for the added scene of Yuki & Kyou finding the way doesn't seem to be a smart choice, at least for me. I understand the necessity for conclude it by this episode, but still……

From now on, I won't rewatch the old version before watching the new episodes of the remake. Let's see if the experience would get better in that way. Still looking forward to the following episodes.
May 3, 2019 11:47 PM

Mar 2018
I don't know why but the fact that they didn't make Yuki that feminine, compared to the manga and the previous anime, makes it funnier to me when they confuse him with a girl. like it should be obvious that he is just a pretty boy haha.
But yeah really nice episode as always.
May 4, 2019 1:46 AM

Jul 2014
I have no actual qualms with the sequence of events this episode took, but the pacing seriously reduced its effectiveness: there's just ten minutes between Tohru leaving and breaking down and saying she wants to go "home". We only see a couple of interactions between her and the rest of the family which, while selling that they aren't nice well enough, doesn't really do enough to justify moving so quickly past this.

At least the grandfather was a decent person, unlike the rest of the family.
May 4, 2019 2:05 AM

Jun 2013
I knew what was going to happen but it still made me tear up.

Tohru's aunt and cousins are awful. I think her female cousin is a bitch but was kind of supportive when she thought Tohru was a live-in girlfriend. Her aunt and male cousin were worse. Her police-wannabe cousin looks like a potential rapist.

It was beautifully well done and I am excited for the next episode.

Just realized on my second time watching this, no one turned into animals today.
臭い-
May 4, 2019 2:43 AM
Aug 2015
The episode was so beautiful and healed my anxiety
May 4, 2019 2:44 AM

Jan 2015
Quite an emotional episode
Best one so far
May 4, 2019 2:46 AM
Apr 2019
Bibimbapski said:

Just realized on my second time watching this, no one turned into animals today.

Haha, get used to it.
May 4, 2019 3:26 AM

Jul 2015
Damn. Grandpa said precisely what he should to that bespectacled dude.

May 4, 2019 3:58 AM

May 2015
Tohru and Kyoko are my favourite duaghter-mother duos in anime and Kyoko is just an awesome mother. Love the flashbacks.
Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso is shit
May 4, 2019 4:02 AM

Nov 2018
Steve Harvey: "Alright guys, top eight answers on the board. We asked 100 people, name something you would find in a fruit basket."
Contestant 1: Apple (24 points)
Contestant 2: Banana (16 points)
Contestant 3: Rice ball (0 points)
Audience: *hysterical laughing
Steve Harvey:*pulls shocked face whilst being speechless

My current goal is to revamp all the character details for High School DxD and have all the characters included in the DB.
MAL Badges is back bitches! Check the club for more info
Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
May 4, 2019 4:06 AM

Mar 2010
really feels like a otome game watching this
May 4, 2019 4:34 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Grandpa for MVP with Yuki a close second. Few things can be so overwhelmingly humilliating than being slapped and then flicked on the forehead like know..
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

May 4, 2019 5:47 AM

Apr 2015
Tohru's grandfather is the MVP this episode. That smack was deserved. Very emotional episode, poor Tohru! The boys did the right thing to take her back to their place and it was nice to see Yuki & Kyou agree on something for once!
May 4, 2019 5:56 AM
Apr 2019
I thought Fruits basket was another Cooking based anime due to its name and always ignored it. Until today when I saw it on my recommendation and it was a remake *.* This was EXACTLY what I wanted. <3 can't wait for the next episode I might spoil myself watching the original episodes oof!
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fruits Basket (2019) Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 9, 2019

130 by razornamidablood »»
Apr 22, 4:47 AM

Poll: » Fruits Basket (2019) Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 2, 2019

117 by ashura_chan »»
Apr 9, 3:59 PM

Poll: » Fruits Basket (2019) Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - May 17, 2019

231 by Ant161718 »»
Mar 17, 4:33 PM

Poll: » Fruits Basket (2019) Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 26, 2019

123 by Jordanrane02 »»
Mar 16, 9:48 PM

Poll: » Fruits Basket (2019) Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 20, 2019

191 by Nova22 »»
Mar 9, 5:58 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.