Forum Settings
Forums

"Nothing deserves a 10/10" "Objectively good doesn't exist"

New
May 2, 2019 4:14 PM

Aug 2016
What do you think about those phrases? There is a lot of discussion that can be had regarding them.

The first one, "nothing deserves a 10/10".

Not many people think that way as far as I know, or at least I hope so. Having that kind of mindset will never allow you to truly love something.
Giving something a 10/10, it's pretty much all about disregarding the possible flaws and embracing them with the show that you've determined to be a masterpiece.

An anime doesn't need to be objectively perfect for it to warrant a 10/10 from someone. People give 10/10s to shows which appeal to them in a more meaningful and memorable way than others. Those shows might be far from perfect from a technical standpoint, but they were so amazing for that audience that they were simply compelled to give them a 10/10. Sometimes that audience is a niche community and sometimes that audience is the vast majority of the people that have watched the show(fmab, kimi no na wa, steins;gate come to mind). People have different standards when it comes to giving 10/10s. Some people give them to 10/100 shows, some to 1/100 and some to 1/1000 shows. Though it's definitely not as black and white as that as it also depends on the ratio of good/bad shows those people have watched.

The second phrase however, seems far more complex at hindsight. It seems true to some extent because of the different tastes that people have but, surely a sane person couldn't possibly think that high school dxd is a masterpiece,..... right?
And surely someone who gave Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood a proper shot couldn't possibly consider it to be a bad anime, right?

badgerinoMay 3, 2019 4:40 AM
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
May 2, 2019 4:22 PM

Oct 2018
What I don't get are people who are giving mostly 4 or 5's to the shows they are watching. I see that pretty often since I'm here. I mean it looks like they don't like what they are watching, and I'm asking myself "What is the point in watching anime in that case if it's so bad?" I mean I like watching anime, I give mostly 8, often 9,cause I like what I see. If a show manages to move me emotionally or keeps me occupied for some time after I watched it, I give it even a 10. Not necessarily because it is the best show of all, but because it is for me. I mean I'm not a trained reviewer and I listen to my stomach when it comes to notes.
May 2, 2019 4:23 PM

Oct 2017
Yeah I agree even those that I have given 10's I can point out flaws. I mean LOTGH is my favorite but there are serious flaws in some the later arcs though I enjoyed the ending. It is just the experiences I had up to those arcs were on another level and so I am going to give it a 10. There isn't a single piece of fiction for me where I felt yeah I was 100% satisfied with every decision in the story, art, music or animation.

Also on the later note you can critique FMAB or dislike it. I know the big critique for FMAB is some people thought the comedy hindered the overall tone of the story. I had no issue with it but some really didn't like it. I have seen people also post that they weren't a fan of the story either. Aggregates say that most people out there do really like FMAB that doesn't mean everyone will regard it that way.

I haven't seen DxD but hey you know what maybe it really ticked a lot boxes for them personally.
May 2, 2019 4:27 PM

Jul 2017
goathead said:
What I don't get are people who are giving mostly 4 or 5's to the shows they are watching. I see that pretty often since I'm here. I mean it looks like they don't like what they are watching, and I'm asking myself "What is the point in watching anime in that case if it's so bad?" I mean I like watching anime, I give mostly 8, often 9,cause I like what I see. If a show manages to move me emotionally or keeps me occupied for some time after I watched it, I give it even a 10. Not necessarily because it is the best show of all, but because it is for me. I mean I'm not a trained reviewer and I listen to my stomach when it comes to notes.

It depends on the users rating scale. Some consider 5 to be average whereas some consider 5 to be bad. Of course when people start giving 2's,3's,4's then the questions start popping up cause those are the generally acclaimed "bad" ratings.
May 2, 2019 4:28 PM

Jan 2018
I've only ever given one 10, but that's because the anime in question was so transcendent that I couldn't possibly fathom seeing any other title share the same score (from what I've seen thus far, of course). 10 is literally perfect in my eyes; I don't expect others to share the same view, nor even choose to score the same way that I do in that regard, but that's just what works for me.

If someone wants to give High School DxD a 10, more power to them. I wouldn't be caught dead doing so, but each individual's scoring system is their own personal method of determining a number to assign to a work of art. Just as the art itself it subjective, so is the method upon which people choose to rate it. But saying that a sane person couldn't consider DxD to be a masterpiece is simply a display of bias towards that particular anime. While I do in fact share the same bias, I still wouldn't consider it fair to make that assessment off the simple fact that your tastes don't fall in line with those of the people who loved that show.

"I am not sure that I exist, actually. I am all the writers that I have read, all the
people that I have met, all the women that I have loved; all the cities I have visited.
"
― Jorge Luis Borges
[url=]Goodreads[/url] | [url=]Letterboxd[/url]

May 2, 2019 4:35 PM

May 2013
badger2k said:

The second phrase however, seems far more complex at hindsight. It seems true to some extent because of the different tastes that people have but, surely a sane person couldn't possibly think that high school dxd is a masterpiece,..... right?
And surely someone who gave Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood a proper shot could possibly consider it to be a bad anime, right?

You can objectively assess art under a chosen criteria. Remove feelings and take a look at what the criteria is all about. Characters? Character development? Plot holes? Animation? Sound design? Story? Lore? etc etc (even big tits, if you want. lol)

For example, I consider One Piece to be a rather horrible show on many fronts but it has objectively good and reasonable world-building. All you need to do is to take a look at the writing to arrive at that conclusion.

Does that alone make me like the series? No, and it never will. The 10/10 rating is and should be subjective, because enjoying art is all about your subjective impression. Objective metrics should just be used to complement your feelings about the show. Not the other way round.
Truly a Divine Comedy
May 2, 2019 4:38 PM

Apr 2015
The anime community should never bother using "Objectivity vs Subjectivity" into discussions, when clearly the majority of people doesn't even know how to use it properly. Also the hold "Nothing deserves a 10/10" is a nonsensical and moronic statement that should not be taken seriously at all.
May 2, 2019 4:38 PM

Feb 2012
Well, the rating does not say "Perfect". It says a "Masterpiece". That could mean a lot of things, like for example the magnum opus of a "master", which could be a lot of things, maybe even Highschool DxD.
May 2, 2019 4:40 PM
Dec 2015
I've only ever given two anime 10s and those anime were amazing to the point where everything else seemed stale in comparison and they were what I felt was objective masterpieces too. Anime that I absolutely loved but still see glaring flaws in get 8 or 9s. Most other stuff goes in the 5 -7 range. I don't understand people who toss out 10s like they're candy even when it's an obviously mediocre show.
May 2, 2019 4:42 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
ofc objectivity in anime doesn't exist, but no one but ME can tell me what a 10/10 anime is
May 2, 2019 4:45 PM

Aug 2009
hunte x hunter 2011 is anime which deserves 10/10.
May 2, 2019 4:45 PM

Dec 2017
I mean, those are two kind of contradictory statements. Most of the time when it comes to 10/10's and them not existing it's people saying that there is objectivity in a form of art and as such it will never be perfect while the latter is the antithesis of that idea. Personally I think it comes down to the eye of the beholder and one should only speak from their perspective or a perspective they understand (even if they can't agree with it). That is to say that the truth is only truth for an individual and not necessarily another.

Why don’t we become monsters and really mess up this awful world? Just destroy until there’s no more evil, no more sadness, no more anything…
Wouldn’t that be great?

May 2, 2019 4:47 PM
Mar 2016
I think "nothing deserves a 10/10" is partially true. Nothing can meet my FULL expectations or mental image of the greatest anime ever. However, if my enjoyment is enough, I think something can rightfully get a 10/10.

"Objectively good" is also partially true. It's clear when an anime does something well, but in the end, it's all subjective. After all, the preferences of some may vary with the preferences of others. However, I think "Objectively good" refers to the preferences of all people. Most people have an overall similar preference, and we use this criteria to rate something as "objectively good." For this reason, FMAB would be considered "objectively good" (though I dont really like it). These preferences/standards would be a more developed, more complex, and a well-thought out/well-executed plot with vibrant characters, great art, etc.
May 2, 2019 4:47 PM

Apr 2016
Mastergold said:
The anime community should never bother using "Objectivity vs Subjectivity" into discussions, when clearly the majority of people doesn't even know how to use it properly. Also the hold "Nothing deserves a 10/10" is a nonsensical and moronic statement that should not be taken seriously at all.
This

Fucking this

Yes fuckthecharlimit
May 2, 2019 4:48 PM

May 2009
I don't use a 10/10 because...my current scoring system does not include a 10. It was either drop the 10 or drop the 1 since I needed an odd number of gradations, and I chose to drop the 10.

My current score system is not a judgement of "quality" (however that might go, and I used to try doing that but it turned out badly because it was inconsistent anyway), but rather an indication of how much I enjoyed the show, roughly speaking. A 9 is the maximum score and indicates that I love the show.

And I do give out a lot of 9s.

I've thought of using 10 as a way to indicate my favorites, but my favorites include a number of shows with lower scores (mainly because they did something really well that stuck with me, even if the rest of the show wasn't as enjoyable), so...

goathead said:
There are some people who are like "I like this show but it's bad". I don't do that but some people do.
GlennMagusHarveyMay 2, 2019 4:51 PM
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
May 2, 2019 4:50 PM

Oct 2018
Short_Circut said:
goathead said:

It depends on the users rating scale. Some consider 5 to be average whereas some consider 5 to be bad. Of course when people start giving 2's,3's,4's then the questions start popping up cause those are the generally acclaimed "bad" ratings.

I consider 5 as average. But what I want to say is, if what most of the stuff one is watching is average, why even bother? I mean personally I have better to do with my time than watching something average.
May 2, 2019 4:50 PM

Aug 2009
I will just remind you what it means to be objective. Objectivity is a philosophical concept of being true independently from individual subjectivity caused by perception, emotions, or imagination. A proposition is considered to have objective truth when its truth conditions are met without bias caused by a sentient subject. Scientific objectivity refers to the ability to judge without partiality or external influence, sometimes used synonymously with neutrality.

That's why I still think my 10/10 is the most diagnostic
May 2, 2019 4:51 PM

Dec 2017
The notion that something must be objectively perfect to receive a perfect score rather than perfectly appealing to you in order to achieve a perfect score is baffling. Following this logic, in order to rate something a 7/10 you'd have to prove that it's objectively 70% good which is utterly nonsensical.

Also, those who adhere to the "nothing deserves a 10/10" philosophy tend to have another arbitrary number which is the highest they're willing to rate something. The number tends to be 9 and they will often claim that 9/10 is the highest they're willing to award a title since a perfect show doesn't exist. However, this makes no sense since 9 is now the top score and without the acknowledgement that a title could ever reach a 10/10 in their eyes they are actually rating out a 9 point scale so what they call a 9/10 is actually a 9/9. And news flash: 9/9 = 10/10. The only way to avoid this contradiction is to drop the scoring process altogether.

And yeah, of course objective value cannot be assigned to art. I'm not sure why a sane person can't think of DxD as a masterpiece or FMAB as a bad show. If you feel otherwise, you are by nature asserting that objectively good art and objectively bad art exists.
NickDenMay 2, 2019 4:56 PM
May 2, 2019 4:54 PM

Aug 2009
To speak on the subject of assessment, you have to see as much anime as me. Back to my anime list. I have seen so much that my view should be an authority here.
May 2, 2019 4:55 PM

Jul 2017
so there are people who think objectively good exists? damn philosophy has existed for about 2500 years but it all amounted to nothing, go to bed platon, ciceron, nietzsche, anonymous104 on the internet holds absolute truth!!

if you think any form of art can be objectively good you have a problem.
May 2, 2019 4:57 PM

Apr 2016
Nothing deserves a 10/10 is silly, and a misunderstanding of what 10/10 is. 10/10 doesn't mean literally perfect, it just means it is everything you cherish in the medium, something you feel does an especially spectacular job on all aspects that it might as well be an A+ work for you. Nothing's ever perfect, and in fact, a 10/10 shouldn't be used often, but eventually, you will find something you feel is spectacular enough to where even giving it a 9 would be a disservice.

As for "nothing is objectively good", I think it also comes from a misunderstanding, one most are guilty of and that I'm trying to break away from. Objectivity and subjectivity do exist in art, but objectivity is relative, subjectivity is not. That's why all art criticism is subjective, and why you can never truly look at something entirely objectively. These two are at odds with one another, and experience inherently leads to a change in perception. It is in recognizing that when you can begin trying to look at anime with as much of a focused and holistic lens as you can. Obviously, opinions are diverse and in the grander scheme of things, there is no real best show or art product of all time, and you can make the case for an insane number of things being, good, great, or even masterful. At the same time, pretty much no one will legitimately tell you Hand Shakers or Mars of Destruction are better than Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood or Legend of the Galactic Heroes. On top of that, no one is perfect and no one can fully understand everything from all perspectives, let alone hear all perspectives. Not tom mention objectivity is based on fact, and one can use evidence of stuff presented in a show as facts to support their beliefs about a show. On top of that, those claims can be argued using other factual evidence or call into question the interpretation of said evidence presented in the show/movie/whatever in the first place. Lastly, consider that while no one is ever completely objective in their opinions about a show, no one is ever completely unobjective, as that would mean they're using no such thing as facts or evidence about/from the show itself to form their own opinion, and that is physically and ideologically impossible. So yea, objectivity exists in art, but it is relative and therefore arguable, and people need to understand that relativity before they can become better media consumers, media critics, etc.
CodeBlazeFateMay 2, 2019 5:17 PM
May 2, 2019 4:58 PM
Jan 2012
I agree with the second one, objectivity is completely uninvolved in someone's opinion, calling something objectively good could only be said if someone used it's sales, an objective number.

I don't agree with the first, because despite the fact that I think people are too quick to rate things 10s and 1s, it's still all opinion. There's no such thing as a wrong opinion. Subjectivity and objectivity have actual meaning, something many don't actually realize. Those words are more than just something you throw out in an argument whenever you please
May 2, 2019 5:02 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Nothing is perfect, sure, but a 10/10 doesn't have to be. Otherwise there'd be no point in being able to give an anime a 10/10

If you really want to make a statement that nothing is perfect then just imagine that 11/10 represents that unachievable perfection which you'll never score anything by, and all your 10/10s will represent the "close enough" category. Problem solved

As for the objectivity part... well the problem is it's still quite subjective what the correct objective standards are supposed to be that are used to quantify things so it doesn't really work so well. On top of that different stories have different target audiences with different intents and purposes which they need to be judged by accordingly so you can't just use the same reference frame for everything. Also even if someone likes to believe that they're being objective they'll still have some innate subconcious biases affecting them. Humans aren't robots after all so we can't pretend to think like them
May 2, 2019 5:02 PM

Dec 2016
badger2k said:
surely a sane person couldn't possibly think that high school dxd is a masterpiece,..... right?

Why not? Why would thinking DxD is a masterpiece has to necessarily imply the person is mentally ill or something?
May 2, 2019 5:06 PM

Mar 2016
I think OPs post is incredibly arrogant for being about such a mundane topic.

There are people way fucking smarter than you whose taste in anime differs from your own. You're going to have to learn to deal with that.

NickDen said:
However, this makes no sense since 9 is now the top score and without the acknowledgement that a title could ever reach a 10/10 in their eyes they are actually rating out a 9 point scale so what they call a 9/10 is actually a 9/9. And news flash: 9/9 = 10/10. The only way to avoid this contradiction is to drop the scoring process altogether.

Bullshit. In this case, the 10 is being used, but only for the hypothetically 'perfect' anime. To think that the 9/10 is really a 9/9 is sort of missing the whole point of not rating something a 10 to begin with, which is a deliberate act.
syncrogazerMay 2, 2019 5:10 PM
May 2, 2019 5:10 PM

Apr 2016
syncrogazer said:
I think OPs post is incredibly arrogant for being about such a mundane topic.

There are people way fucking smarter than you whose taste in anime differs from your own. You're going to have to learn to deal with that.

NickDen said:
However, this makes no sense since 9 is now the top score and without the acknowledgement that a title could ever reach a 10/10 in their eyes they are actually rating out a 9 point scale so what they call a 9/10 is actually a 9/9. And news flash: 9/9 = 10/10. The only way to avoid this contradiction is to drop the scoring process altogether.

Bullshit. In this case, the 10 is being used, but only for the hypothetically 'perfect' anime. To think that the 9/10 is really a 9/9 is sort of missing the whole point of not rating something a 10 to begin with.
He's arguing that in not using the 10 and essentially making it so an anime can be a 9/9, it's basically the same as 10/10 but with an arbitrary limit they placed to trick themselves into believing otherwise.
May 2, 2019 5:13 PM

Mar 2016
CodeBlazeFate said:
He's arguing that in not using the 10 and essentially making it so an anime can be a 9/9, it's basically the same as 10/10 but with an arbitrary limit they placed to trick themselves into believing otherwise.

Yeah, I get that. Thanks for the paraphrase. I still don't believe that's what people (myself included) are thinking when they choose not to use the score of 10/10.
May 2, 2019 5:15 PM

Apr 2016
syncrogazer said:
CodeBlazeFate said:

Yeah, I get that. Thanks for the paraphrase. I still don't believe that's what people (myself included) are thinking when they choose not to use the score of 10/10.
But then you're just warping 10/10 to mean what it was never intended to mean instead of actually using the scale to its fullest (I mean yea this is the same scale that pretends average is a thing when it mathematically and logically cannot exist on said scale so meh, do whatever I guess).
May 2, 2019 5:15 PM

Aug 2018
I think that there is NO 10/10 show, there is no perfect show... period.

Despite that, I do think that using the entire scale is the right choice, so despite that I gave 10s. I use 10 as a way of saying that imo, x show is the best one I've seen in every possible aspect.
May 2, 2019 5:25 PM

Mar 2016
CodeBlazeFate said:
But then you're just warping 10/10 to mean what it was never intended to mean

I'm not following.

I'm using the 10/10 as a category, it's just not filled in. And it may never be.
May 2, 2019 5:27 PM

Apr 2018
I've always interpreted a "10/10" as "i, personally, greatly enjoyed this thing to a point where i can willingly look past its inevitable flaws."
Frankly, people who interpret a 10 as literally "perfect" are stupid; because, obviously, perfect doesn't exist.

If we were only allowed to attribute a 10 to any piece of work in any artistic medium, based on some (non-existent) objective quality standard, well...there'd be very, very few of those scores around in any sort of review; to a point where one might question why it's even an option.
Stygian_PrisonerMay 2, 2019 6:01 PM
May 2, 2019 5:28 PM

Apr 2016
syncrogazer said:
CodeBlazeFate said:
But then you're just warping 10/10 to mean what it was never intended to mean

I'm not following.

I'm using the 10/10 as a category, it's just not filled in. And it may never be.
Cuz 10/10 was never meant to be unobtainable perfection, just the best one can be or at least close enough to where just calling it fantastic or giving a 9 isn't enough. You can give a 9.5 or 9.6 a 10. Preventing it from being filled in makes it seem like the unobtainable perfection I don't think it was intended to be.
May 2, 2019 5:31 PM

Apr 2016
Stygian_Prisoner said:
I've always interpreted a "10/10" as "i, personally, greatly enjoyed this thing to a point where i can willingly look past its inevitable flaws."
Frankly, people who interpret a 10 as literally "perfect" are stupid.

If we could only be allowed to attribute a 10 to transcendent, ground-breaking masterpieces in any medium, well...there'd be very, very few of those scores around; to a point where one might question why it's even an option.
I mean, nothing is truly perfect, but reserving a 10/10 for something you feel is so especially spectacular to be basically transcendent for you or to embody pretty much everything you love/want in an anime or movie or what have you, is what I think the point of a 10/10 is. A 10/10 should be an honor, an emblem reserved for few rather than just great or something that makes you wanna overlook its flaws. Also, honestly, calling something good enough to overlook its flaws or call it good in spite of its flaws I feel is something even a 7 can accomplish.
May 2, 2019 5:34 PM

Feb 2019
I don't think art can be objectively analyzed through a rating scale, because there is no such thing as inherently good. "Good" is a trait subjectively plastered onto things, depending on one's traits, tastes, interests, culture, media exposure, upbringing, prior experiences and so on. Sure, there are common conceptions about the quality of a work, but even that is arbitrary, affected by a people's culture and history, as well as their media. There isn't objectively good and bad art, but art that appeals to you or repels you. Sometimes rubbing you the wrong way is the whole point of a work's existence, some might appreciate it, others may not. So yeah, some people may think there's no such thing as a 10/10 because they value certain aspects of works more, others may feel like anything they enjoy is a 10/10.
May 2, 2019 5:39 PM

Apr 2018
CodeBlazeFate said:
I mean, nothing is truly perfect, but reserving a 10/10 for something you feel is so especially spectacular to be basically transcendent for you or to embody pretty much everything you love/want in an anime or movie or what have you, is what I think the point of a 10/10 is. A 10/10 should be an honor, an emblem reserved for few rather than just great or something that makes you wanna overlook its flaws. Also, honestly, calling something good enough to overlook its flaws or call it good in spite of its flaws I feel is something even a 7 can accomplish.

I didn't make my latter statement clear enough, my bad.
What i meant was "if we could only be allowed to give rating scores based on some (non-existent) objective standard of quality". I should probably edit my comment to reflect this.

But, yeah, i actually agree with everything you say. You can reserve 10s for those pieces of work that are truly special to you, though it doesn't always have to be that way.
Stygian_PrisonerMay 2, 2019 5:52 PM
May 2, 2019 5:40 PM

Apr 2016
Stygian_Prisoner said:
CodeBlazeFate said:

I didn't make my latter statement clear enough, my bad.
What i meant was "if we could only be allowed to give rating scores based on some (non-existent) objective standard of quality". I should probably edit my comment to reflect this.

But, yeah, i agree with everything you say.
Ah. Yea that's fair, and I think part of it is on the fault of people like me who put a lot of weight on scores as a symbol. Hence why I also understand when people just wanna abandon the system altogether, since it doesn't tell the full story and people will just look at a score and get uppity.
May 2, 2019 5:47 PM

Mar 2016
CodeBlazeFate said:
Cuz 10/10 was never meant to be unobtainable perfection

I don't see why it wouldn't be, but obviously we're not dealing with mere numbers even though these are scores.

MAL uses the word 'Masterpiece' to describe its 10/10 score in the system and that's how I understand it when I decide what to rate something in my list. I don't see how my lack of 'Masterpieces' somehow impacts or changes the values of or my feelings towards my 'Greats.' If anything it's the lack of 'Masterpieces' that grounds my understanding of what such a 'Masterpiece' might be and when I do encounter it I'll have a nice category to attach it to. In the unlikely even that that happens.

Honestly, scoring is the dumbest thing to talk about, but in this case I don't see anything wrong with foregoing the 10/10, and it's weird to see people who seem to take it as a personal affront when someone does so.
May 2, 2019 5:48 PM

Apr 2019
i just see the number 10 as just their absolute favorite and have barely any gripes with the show. anyone can preserve 10 as however they want.
May 2, 2019 5:51 PM

Jan 2009
if that is true then just suggest to remove the 10/10 rating then

i score the anime as 10/10 not because of some objective perfection but (one of the) best enjoyment i got
May 2, 2019 6:03 PM
Sep 2017
I give 10/10 when a show teach me something or change me in some way.
So for example.
Code Geass teach me that sometimes doing the best for others is the best thing you can do, and so to be happy so have to help those you love ( And those who watched both seasons of CG undertands this )

TTGL teach me not to surrender.

Steins;gate teach me that only cause I can do something, it doesn´t is the correct thing to do.

HxH teach me that a what makes us humans are our feelings, not our appearance.

Devilman Crybaby teach me how stupid and toxic humanity can be.

I think Objectively good exist, and is FMA: Brotherhood, now Brotherhood is not my favorite anime is in my top 20 tho, but I think it didn´t make anything wrong.
May 2, 2019 6:04 PM

Nov 2014
deg said:

i score the anime as 10/10 not because of some objective perfection but (one of the) best enjoyment i got

But as another user said, even if you remove the 10 out of 10 system, you would have a 9 out of 9 system. And 9/9 is equal to 10/10. They are both 100% out of a possible 100%.
May 2, 2019 6:05 PM
Jul 2018
I am a light house among the ships astray in the harbor of disdain. Whether a frigate of self image preservation blasting their ammunition among the shoals of anime fans unwarranted, or a tanker of hate ready to pollute the clean and majestic ocean of anime... I am here to guide you home.

Plenty of media selections will achieve the highest of praise from this guy. If it was done well, and I love it, why not?

As far as that pair of statements go, it is pretty accurate if they were using "snarky talk" to say that perfection does not exist. Nothing to be upset or an asshole about though, If perfection did exist I would be afraid of experiencing it honestly. Imagine living every day knowing your best memory has already been made. Might as well just take a dirt nap.

I will say though that objectively good does exist. As long as we accept that there is a set of standards or discriminating factors that validate opinions.

Example: I am a functioning charming person, and if I and those similar to me are in agreement that a thing is "good"; then the negative opinions of the "damaged", "less than", or "greater than" individuals, is irrelevant to that standard. A dogs opinion of cat food doesn't do the world of cats a whole hell of a lot of good now does it?

There was a video of two chicks eating poop for money. I don't really care what their opinions are. I don't care about the opinions of a heroin addict, or a pervert. I don't care about the opinions of thugs, or high rollers, or mouth breathers. So relative to myself and like minded people or (My Standard), a piece of media can be objectively good. RELATIVE. The queen is a great piece in chess; but sucks ass in checkers, doesn't even belong in that game. Hawaii is an amazing vacation destination, but I'm a ginger so forget that hell on earth. Everything will always have detracting factors you cant get around, natural bias, not being the target market bla bla bla bla.

When people say nothing can be objectively good, it just sounds like they are being snooty. It becomes like an individual trying to create some kind of understanding or express that they have ascended to a higher plane of thinking, by stating the obvious.

Think like pop music in the US, I don't care for it, but millions do. Is it bad because I don't like it? NO. I am not a pop fan, pop was not made for me. If all the pop fans of the world love it, then it is still objectively good for the pop world.

If a pop fan goes "Yo Mr. Ziff most holy and noble one, do you like pop?"
and I reply, "What gave you the confidence to speak to me?.. and no?"

Will this effect their love of pop? It shouldn't. Different strokes for different folks, don't yuck someone else's yum bla bla bla...

With the 10 rating, we agree. People need to learn to love. The 10/10 is just as much your feelings for the show, as it is the merit earned. We do have to try and have balance though. Be honest when your adoration carries it past its flaws. "I know this sucked but.." is a perfectly fine way to share an opinion. I will be honest, I can be more seduced by a review pleading for flaw forgiveness than someone listing positives. I can also be annoyed by people trying to make excuses for sword art online's spiral into the shitter past episode 14. Balance. Nothing is universally good, but with the right perspectives and prejudices, objectively good can be relatively achievable.

I hope you laughed, or cried a little. Both are fine. Thanks for reading! - Ziff.
May 2, 2019 6:08 PM
Jul 2018
ColonelCustard said:

But as another user said, even if you remove the 10 out of 10 system, you would have a 9 out of 9 system. And 9/9 is equal to 10/10. They are both 100% out of a possible 100%.

how to get 10 from 9?, did you just barnach-tarski me? Or the other me, produced from half of one me?
May 2, 2019 6:09 PM

Jan 2009
ColonelCustard said:
deg said:

lol if the main problem is the numerical scoring system then maybe replace it with reaction emoticons seen on those facebook posts/comments instead then
May 2, 2019 6:37 PM

Nov 2014
Grizzziff said:

If a pop fan goes "Yo Mr. Ziff most holy and noble one, do you like pop?"
and I reply, "What gave you the confidence to speak to me?.. and no?"

Will this effect their love of pop? It shouldn't. Different strokes for different folks, don't yuck someone else's yum bla bla bla...

Be honest when your adoration carries it past its flaws. "I know this sucked but.." is a perfectly fine way to share an opinion.

Well Said. I know that the anime i love and adore are not ones that are universally liked. (If that even exists). An Opinion is exactly that, and has no weight (or shouldn't have any) on anyone else but yourself. A 10/10 means it's a perfect anime for me, and unless you are much too critical, you have your 10/10 as well. (Not talking directly at you Grizzzziff)
May 2, 2019 6:38 PM
Jul 2018
As for the subjective vs objective, I think people are just getting the word objective confused with critically/craftsmanship. I don't think most who use it mean to say their opinion is fact. Don't get me wrong there are objective rules in art like symmetry and color theory, but that's about it. It's free-range after that.
Anyway, on to an unpopular opinion. I hear people separate quality and enjoyment a lot, but I don't agree with that. I always thought of quality determining someone's enjoyment of said work. Did you like something due to the fanservice? Must have done that part well then. I never heard someone unironically enjoy something due to its lesser crated parts(unless in a "so bad, it's good" kind of way). They always talk on the highlights.
removed-userMay 2, 2019 6:52 PM
May 2, 2019 6:41 PM

Apr 2018
"Mr. Ben Shapiro, is it possible for something to be objectively good?"

"Facts don't care about your feelings"

Libtard destroyed by FACTS and LOGIC
Imperio_nMay 2, 2019 6:45 PM
May 3, 2019 6:30 AM
Jul 2018
badger2k said:

An anime doesn't need to be objectively perfect for it to warrant a 10/10 from someone. People give 10/10s to shows which appeal to them in a more meaningful and memorable way than others. Those shows might be far from perfect from a technical standpoint, but they were so amazing for that audience that they were simply compelled to give them a 10/10.

This is what most people forget. This site is called MyAnimeList, meaning that most people will give subjective scores based on how much they liked a show. Not everyone is a critic or can analyze a show in detail, or even cares about doing it to give a fair score.

While this differs from person to person, after looking at anime lists from so many people I am convinced this is how most of them think.
The perfect example of this is Sword Art Online, where despite so many complains and videos from various Youtube critics, many people still rate it as 10/10. Why? Because they enjoyed it. I'm guilty of the same crime: While I rated it a 6/10, my personal score would probably be 9/10, as back in the day, it brought me into this fantasy world that I could dream about and escape to.

EDIT: I would like to add that anything that gets a 10/10 in a review should get it not because it’s objectively perfect, but because it did everything in such a captivating, interesting or original way, that a 9/10 (or 9.9) score would be insufficient, and it warrants the honorable boost to a 10. That’s how I would do it.
removed-userMay 3, 2019 10:20 AM
May 3, 2019 6:39 AM

Oct 2014
Objectively good truly doesn't exist, but that doesn't stop me from using 10s. I do try to respect people's decisions regarding the rating system, but I feel like avoiding certain ratings is just giving them less options to rate with rather than being a public statement or whatever else they want it to be.
May 3, 2019 6:57 AM

Apr 2018
KreatorX said:
badger2k said:

And surely someone who gave Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood a proper shot could possibly consider it to be a bad anime, right?

You can objectively assess art under a chosen criteria. Remove feelings and take a look at what the criteria is all about. Characters? Character development? Plot holes? Animation? Sound design? Story? Lore? etc etc (even big tits, if you want. lol)

For example, I consider One Piece to be a rather horrible show on many fronts but it has objectively good and reasonable world-building. All you need to do is to take a look at the writing to arrive at that conclusion.

Does that alone make me like the series? No, and it never will. The 10/10 rating is and should be subjective, because enjoying art is all about your subjective impression. Objective metrics should just be used to complement your feelings about the show. Not the other way round.

Gonna strongly disagree on that, the whole history around OP is rather detalied and interesting, but that's not the only thing that constitutes world building. As the name says, it's literally how the world is built, for example the various fantasy power mechanics (like haki), that are part of how that world functions, are also part of the world building. And in regards of them, I found them to be rather inconsistent and non sensical. Tbh "objectively good and reasonable world-building" are the last words that comes to mind when thinking of OP world building.

OT: Literally nothing is objective about entertainment, so yeah "objectively good doesn't exist"

About "Nothing deserves a 10/10", it depends on how u define a 10/10; if u mean a flawless anime, indeed nothing deserves a 10/10, because nothing is flawless, but tbh I don't find that definition to be too meaningful...
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» angry sub only users

Yorda_trico - 6 hours ago

42 by Zarutaku »»
1 minute ago

» What is your most re-watched anime?

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

48 by MeguSae38 »»
12 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

32 by ISeeLifePeople »»
15 minutes ago

» Anime show good at portraying female drama/toxicity?

passtur - Yesterday

36 by LostSpectre »»
20 minutes ago

» Anime that low-testosterone males can't comprehend

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

49 by LostSpectre »»
29 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.