May 2, 2019 1:41 PM

Feb 2014
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ Interview #182 - @Kaitou ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

The One Thanos Should Have Snapped Out

"That's America's Ass."

Interview conducted by: @SuzakuTsubasa
Reviewed by: @Skittles

Could you tell us more about yourself?

I'm an old-time fan of anime, manga, comic books, movies, and video games. I’m of Peruvian and Chinese descent, and I currently reside in the United States. Despite my current college degree, I run a video gaming website and a few different YouTube channels.

How did you choose your username?

Since 2008, I’ve gone by Kaitou Kid as I've been a big fan of Detective Conan since the late '90s.

Could you give us a brief history of your time on MAL?

I wouldn't have been active on this site if I hadn’t been forced to join Mafia Society. I actually made an account in 2015 to discuss Kuroko no Basket. I joined different clubs here and there outside of Mafia Society and met a cast of different people, but not too much.

Truth be told—inb4 I get banned—this is my second account. I made an account back in 2008, but I forgot the email and password for it until 2017 (way after my current account was made). I logged back in to remove all of the cringy stuff and never used it again since then. I wish MAL allowed account merging just so I can have that 2008 join date :'D

How did you get into anime/manga?

I got into anime around 1994 when Yaiba was airing on TV in Spanish. I didn't really know what anime was at the time, but it was "Asian" enough for me to realize it was an Asian cartoon. Later that year, I got into Sailor Moon, Red Baron, and Speed Racer among others. Definitely can't forget Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z (they were airing at the same time) as it's the franchise that means a lot to me despite its countless flaws.

What other hobbies do you have outside of anime/manga and MAL?

Video games, cooking, graphic design, vibing out to good music, going to conventions (and meeting friends for the first time), going out to the movies, walking around, exercising, and hanging out with my close ones.

What anime genres do you enjoy the most? What genres do you hate?

I'm not particularly picky about any genre. I feel like any genre can have its gems and shitty shows.

So you like music. Any kind of music in particular?

I'm pretty open with my music selection, even country.

Probably a big no to Christian Rock or something.

Any users you like/dislike? Why?

MAH BOYS...THE HOMIES ARE @Solos, @Laog, Soul (or now known as @Wolfsbane), @Himikoi (awesome girl), @Roth (the other homegirl, or as I like to call—RUTH), @captainroyy, Alex (can't be assed to know his MAL username though), and a few others in our group.

Shouts out to @reiynii, @Ruu, @Lambtron, @NewG, @RE, @aa-dono, @osieorb18, and others in Mafia Society.

Hey now, I'm not trying to make enemies here so I'll keep that second part to myself. Though I don't particularly dislike anybody as of today (although I kind of hate one person but they shall remain anon.)

How do you feel about how the site is run? Especially in regards to the moderators and admins.

I don't use the forums enough to answer this. However, I just wish the forums didn't feel so outdated compared to other forums that use XenForo or vBulletin.

What did you major in college?

Culinary Arts.

Being of Peruvian and Chinese descent and living in the US, that's quite the mix. What languages can you speak?

English, Spanish, some Portuguese and Japanese here and there.

You work full-time as a video game journalist for your website and YouTube channels. Was it something you had in mind during your studies or did it just happen?

I started doing it during my studies when I saw a lot of my friends doing it as well. Things started a bit rocky, but I'm glad everything kicked off.

What kinds of games interest you the most? Any favorite series?

Fighting games and JRPGs - King of Fighters and Mother, respectively.

Mother is a rather old game and King of Fighter isn't a young series either. Do you believe video games were better back then?

Considering the long history of video games, they are on the newer side rather than old, as Mother/Earthbound and King of Fighters '94 were released in 1989 and 1994, respectively. The former was before I was born.

One thing I can definitely say is that games were certainly more difficult back then. Mother isn't particularly a hard game, but as for King of Fighters... I would say it's definitely easier for newcomers to jump in compared to the earlier entries, as for other fighting games. We have people crying over Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice when the earlier Ninja Gaiden or even Shinobi games were even much harder. Gamers have it easier nowadays, which is good in a way since it's now a more accepted medium of entertainment compared to back in the day.

Any incoming games you're hyped for?

Was gonna say Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice if I were to answer this question during an earlier time; it already came out, and I am having a good time with it. I'm also looking forward to Team Sonic Racing and the new Samurai Shodown.

Are you into Esports and fighting game tournaments?

I have attended CEO and CEOtaku frequently, but I have only spectated. Of course, I always tune in for EVO. This year is gonna be great too, with Samurai Shodown releasing around that time. While I like a lot of (competitive) FPS and a few MOBAs, I’m not really into their competitive scene. I get the most excitement out of fighting games tournaments.

The internet is a rather crowded place. Any advice for anyone who wishes to make a living with video games?

It's not just video games. We live in a world where anyone can make money on the internet. We have grown ass men making money from playing and unboxing Beyblades. That's just fucking incredible. One of my closest friends makes My Hero Academia (the proper name *cough*) discussion videos.

For anyone who really wishes to earn money doing YT, first, don't quit your job until you're earning a decent income out of it. Of course, don't do it for the money, but for the passion of content creation, or else you're just gonna have a terrible time doing it. Aside from passion, you need a lot of patience and perseverance. Success comes from hard work that doesn't come overnight. A good personality works great for those who want to put themselves out there. If you want to focus on games, you don't necessarily have to be great at the games you play if you have a good personality to go with it.

Have you played Mafia on other forums before? Some forums have tools specifically dedicated to playing Mafia, so didn't it feel weird to be back using standard forums?

I was dragged into Mafia Society by an old friend. One of the reasons it's difficult to play Mafia here is because of the lack of tools. I feel like I'm using a forum from 1995, so it's very difficult to play, unlike in forums that use vBulletin or XenForo.

How did you end up leading Mafia Society?

With @Jackrito retiring and the club being leaderless for a few months, someone had to step up. However, we split the obligations among three people, and we formed the initial Holy Mafia Trinity, which consisted of @Suzune-chan, @Crossbell, and myself. @Crossbell isn't much active nowadays and @Suzune-chan is no longer part of our community, for now.

Why don't you play Mafia anymore?

I started my Mafia career 9 years ago, so it kinda got stale after so many years.

Is there something unasked you'd like to talk about?

Pls MAL update your forums, thank you. Feels so outdated (Wait, I think I talked about that).

Any feedback on the interview format?

The format is fine. I like that I was given time to answer these questions.

Can you recommend us 3 users to look into for potential future interviewees?

Gonna go with people from Mafia Society: @Lambtron, @Sodalicious_, and @NewG.
SkittlesMay 2, 2019 8:03 PM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
May 2, 2019 2:33 PM

Oct 2011
nice one

May 2, 2019 5:38 PM
Silly Loy '3'

Jun 2014
O shit it's here :3
Wholesome interview, somewhat expected answers and fun extra info \o/

May 5, 2019 2:43 PM

Oct 2013
<3
<3
Nov 5, 2019 11:11 AM

Dec 2012
I didn't know you were a Mother fan, King ♥
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Nominations V2 ( 1 2 )

Skittles - Nov 21, 2021

64 by Dapper_Dhampir14 »»
Sep 2, 2023 6:01 PM

» Interview 24 - Kineta

Daconator - Jun 10, 2015

15 by cornonacob »»
Aug 5, 2023 3:36 PM

» Interview #267 - lpf

spaceslut - Mar 28, 2023

1 by Disapeared_Ghost »»
Mar 29, 2023 9:30 AM

» Interview #254 - IrrelevantGuy

NextUniverse - Apr 9, 2022

8 by IrrelevantGuy »»
Mar 22, 2023 4:30 AM

» Interview #200 - Shinah

Mimurona - Oct 13, 2019

10 by Shinah »»
Mar 9, 2023 10:19 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.