Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Attack on Titan
Available on Manga Store
New
Apr 29, 2019 4:49 AM
Spiral Warrior

Jan 2017
Can someone explain the massive hype behind this series to me? I watched the first season and I really just couldn't get into it at all. The characters came across as super bland to me, we are thrust almost immediately into these scenes we should feel bad about without any real character building so it's like "wow some people I knew nothing at all about and am totally indifferent about died, I feel nothing."

The story was predictable at almost every turn in the first season, there isn't much investigation into world lore in the first season either, from memory. It just felt like they were trying to feels-bait me at most times and failing hard because they didn't even do the groundwork to make it successful.

I dunno, is it just a slow-starter or something?

EDIT: Thanks to everyone who participated constructively. Mods locked the thread due to fanboys having insanely huge spergfits so I can only update through this edit. Following the advice of people willing to offer real advice instead of having moronic rage seizures I watched Season 2 and 3 and found them enjoyable. I stand by finding Season 1 predictable for the most part and a bit of a slow starter, however. Enjoy yourselves on the forums, anime fans.
Sasori_NagashiJun 26, 2019 3:55 AM

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Apr 29, 2019 4:52 AM
Nov 2018
op here think his taste should be universally accepted. I was expecting this thread to drop sooner or later
Apr 29, 2019 4:53 AM

Jan 2019
Sasori_Nagashi said:
Can someone explain the massive hype behind this series to me? I watched the first season and I really just couldn't get into it at all. The characters came across as super bland to me, we are thrust almost immediately into these scenes we should feel bad about without any real character building so it's like "wow some people I knew nothing at all about and am totally indifferent about died, I feel nothing."

The story was predictable at almost every turn in the first season, there isn't much investigation into world lore in the first season either, from memory. It just felt like they were trying to feels-bait me at most times and failing hard because they didn't even do the groundwork to make it successful.

if you didn't enjoy the first season forget watching it, it builds up its mysteries a long time

people like different things

there is a lot of character development it just shows in subtle actions of characters and it takes time to build up

the show is everything, except predictable..

but if you didn't enjoy it initially and don't feel compelled to watch it, just don't do it really

i don't like gintama/mob and jojos, and don't get why people hype those shows either and think all the characters in those shows are bland so yeah, people have different taste, and thats basically it
Apr 29, 2019 4:54 AM
Spiral Warrior

Jan 2017
Cyb3Knight said:
op here think his taste should be universally accepted. I was expecting this thread to drop sooner or later

OP asked a question because he's curious if he should invest time into the second season and wants to have a nice, civil discussion on the matter rather than people sperging out and acting like he's somehow disparaging the series or pushing others to dislike it.

Apr 29, 2019 4:55 AM
Mar 2019
Sasori_Nagashi said:

The glory of this series is that, the characters dont know much more than we do, and we learn about the world at the same pace as them and grow along side them with the series. Each season the show becomes more and more complex, especially with season 3 part 1 and 2. The characters also get more and more growth each season. The deaths, theyre not really trying to "feels-bait", you. Its just showing how powerful the enemy is and that we should show some concern on how the survey corps is gonna survive this ordeal. Its one of the few series of anime/manga that executes the whole part of "is my favorite character gonna be okay?" or "is my favorite team going to be alright?" brilliantly for me because isayama is more than willing to off characters if it helps move the plot along and evolve it.
nanidatosama97Apr 29, 2019 5:01 AM
Apr 29, 2019 4:57 AM
Spiral Warrior

Jan 2017
Daphi said:
Sasori_Nagashi said:

if you didn't enjoy the first season forget watching it, it builds up its mysteries a long time

there is a lot of character development it just shows in subtle actions of characters and it takes time to build up

but if you didn't enjoy it initially and don't feel compelled to watch it, just don't do it really

i don't like gintama/mob and jojos, and don't get why people hype those shows either and think all the characters in those shows are bland so yeah, people have different taste, and thats basically it

So you think I wouldn't like the way the storytelling is formatted if I wasn't a fan of the first season? Like it carries on the same way throughout the entire series? Fair enough, thanks for the the input.

Apr 29, 2019 4:58 AM

May 2013
yeah, i don't really get the hype. i'm kind of curious too

Apr 29, 2019 5:01 AM

Jun 2016
nanidatosama97 said:
Sasori_Nagashi said:

The glory of this series is that, the characters dont know much more than we do, and we learn about the world at the same pace as them and grow along side them with the series. Each season the show becomes more and more complex, especially with season 3 part 1 and 2. The characters also get more and more growth each season. The deaths, theyre not really trying to "feels-bait", you. Its just showing how powerful the enemy is and that we should show some concern on how the survey corps is gonna survive this ordeal
OP, this is the best answer you could get.
Apr 29, 2019 5:02 AM

Jan 2019
@Sasori_Nagashi

yea thats my point, if you don't enjoy season 1 i don't think you would enjoy season 2 or season 3 either

, what you could do is try to watch until episode 7/8 of season 2, if the twists until then aren't enough to make you interested into whats going on(and the characters) then you can stop wasting your time

Attack on Titan does a huge amount of Foreshadowing/references towards stuff thats going to happen in s3 part 2/ season 4(when we get one) there is a lot of things one might not understand(lots of tiny details) and the world building will only finish in this season really
but this mystery aspect is also something that enthralls many fans basically as nanidatosama97 said
Apr 29, 2019 5:02 AM
Mar 2019
Shinah said:
yeah, i don't really get the hype. i'm kind of curious too

If you want an answer I hope mine above satisfies you
Apr 29, 2019 5:04 AM
Jul 2018
you have a problem with accepting other's likes and dislikes, don't you op? But having a different taste than the majority is nothing to worry about
Apr 29, 2019 5:04 AM
Spiral Warrior

Jan 2017
nanidatosama97 said:
Sasori_Nagashi said:

The glory of this series is that, the characters dont know much more than we do, and we learn about the world at the same pace as them and grow along side them with the series. Each season the show becomes more and more complex, especially with season 3 part 1 and 2. The characters also get more and more growth each season. The deaths, theyre not really trying to "feels-bait", you. Its just showing how powerful the enemy is and that we should show some concern on how the survey corps is gonna survive this ordeal. Its one of the few series of anime/manga that executes the whole part of "is my favorite character gonna be okay?" or "is my favorite team going to be alright?" brilliantly for me because isayama is more than willing to off characters if it helps move the plot along and evolve it.

That much I can definitely respect about the series. A lot of anime series have a serious problem with avoiding death when there should be death, in order to make sure no fans lose their favourites I.E. Naruto up until the war arc and even then the death was kept to a bare minimum and was mostly nameless faceless nobodies and characters they felt safe wouldn't be TOO sorely missed.

Apr 29, 2019 5:06 AM
Mar 2019
Sasori_Nagashi said:
nanidatosama97 said:

That much I can definitely respect about the series. A lot of anime series have a serious problem with avoiding death when there should be death, in order to make sure no fans lose their favourites I.E. Naruto up until the war arc and even then the death was kept to a bare minimum and was mostly nameless faceless nobodies and characters they felt safe wouldn't be TOO sorely missed.

Yeah, Id definitely read the manga and catch up with it, because everyone is insanely complex, and its fun seeing isayamas art quality improve each and every new arc. The manga is currently in its final stages, which means we only have like one more season of anime content left.
Apr 29, 2019 5:07 AM
Spiral Warrior

Jan 2017
nanidatosama97 said:
Sasori_Nagashi said:

Yeah, Id definitely read the manga and catch up with it, because everyone is insanely complex, and its fun seeing isayamas art quality improve each and every new arc. The manga is currently in its final stages, which means we only have like one more season of anime content left.

Yeah, I might give the manga a go actually. It's my own hang up but I can tolerate somewhat slower paced stories, world-building ETC in printed format better than animated.

Apr 29, 2019 5:08 AM
Mar 2019
Sasori_Nagashi said:
nanidatosama97 said:

Yeah, I might give the manga a go actually. It's my own hang up but I can tolerate somewhat slower paced stories, world-building ETC in printed format better than animated.

Just be warned the art is kinda shoddy in the beginning cause its his first manga ever made but recently the art has been amazingly detailed.
Apr 29, 2019 5:17 AM

Dec 2015
I'd say would should at least watch Season 2 and the first part of Season 3. Both of those arcs are different from Season 1 (Specially the first arc from Season 3). If you still don't like it, then it's not for you.

But I do have to say that I disagree the hell out of your opinion. The characters may be the weakest part of the show, but they're far from being bad (specially the main 3 characters). Also, predictable? I'm not sure if I can even call this an opinion, that's a straight up lie. It's so far one of the most unpredictable shows I've seen. And yeah, Season 1 is my favorite anime of all time, because of this kind of storytelling, perfect direction and soundtrack, superb animation and the fact it's one of the few things I can really say it was epic
BetterTasteApr 29, 2019 6:26 AM
Apr 29, 2019 5:18 AM

Oct 2017
I like this series which is why I'm hyped.
Apr 29, 2019 5:20 AM

Aug 2013
The plot is very interesting in my opinion.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 29, 2019 5:28 AM

Jan 2015
Sasori_Nagashi said:

has dbz, jojo. ttgl, mob psycho in favorites... yeah no point explaining
Apr 29, 2019 5:29 AM
Spiral Warrior

Jan 2017
BestBoiEren said:
Sasori_Nagashi said:

Thanks for adding nothing to the discussion my dude.

Apr 29, 2019 5:30 AM

Jan 2015
Sasori_Nagashi said:
BestBoiEren said:

there is nothing to add for a 'discussion' like this LOL
Apr 29, 2019 5:31 AM
Spiral Warrior

Jan 2017
BestBoiEren said:
Sasori_Nagashi said:

there is nothing to add for a 'discussion' like this LOL

Previous replies show otherwise but okay my man.

Apr 29, 2019 5:31 AM
Jun 2017
you should watch season 2,because it's when the story starts to get deeper and deeper,and you start to learn more about characters that you didn't initially cared about,if you still didn't like it,then you have a different taste than most people.
Apr 29, 2019 5:37 AM

Mar 2018
I am expecting the score to drop during the basement twist since the manga community got divided at that point. It doesn't, and will never deserve a score of higher than 9.
Apr 29, 2019 5:38 AM
Jul 2018
Sasori_Nagashi said:
Cyb3Knight said:

OP asked a question because he's curious if he should invest time into the second season and wants to have a nice, civil discussion on the matter rather than people sperging out and acting like he's somehow disparaging the series or pushing others to dislike it.
It's only like twelve episodes. Do the math, 25x12 = 300 minutes which is about five hours. You might as well watch the season instead of wasting days debating whether you should watch it or not.
Apr 29, 2019 5:39 AM
Spiral Warrior

Jan 2017
AniMEHLover said:
I am expecting the score to drop during the basement twist since the manga community got divided at that point. It doesn't, and will never deserve a score of higher than 9.

That is another thing, I heard the manga drops in quality sharply toward the end from a few people I'm friends with who loved the manga. No spoilios here though for the sake of anime viewers.

Apr 29, 2019 5:40 AM
Mar 2019
Sasori_Nagashi said:
AniMEHLover said:

That is another thing, I heard the manga drops in quality sharply toward the end from a few people I'm friends with who loved the manga. No spoilios here though for the sake of anime viewers.

A lot of those people who dropped during the reveal didnt give the story change a chance, lol.
Apr 29, 2019 5:41 AM
Spiral Warrior

Jan 2017
ABDoesThings said:
Sasori_Nagashi said:

It's only like twelve episodes. Do the math, 25x12 = 300 minutes which is about five hours. You might as well watch the season instead of wasting days debating whether you should watch it or not.

I enjoy discussion, this is pleasant to me, at least when people keep it civil and don't act like spergs like a few have. Plus I can do this while playing a game, cooking a meal ETC, it requires minimal attention, whereas I like to dedicate my full attention to an anime when I'm watching it to make sure I don't miss anything.

Apr 29, 2019 5:44 AM

Mar 2018
nanidatosama97 said:
Sasori_Nagashi said:

A lot of those people who dropped during the reveal didnt give the story change a chance, lol.

I gave it a chance. It still didnt work. But I heard that....
Apr 29, 2019 5:45 AM
Mar 2019
AniMEHLover said:
nanidatosama97 said:

I gave it a chance. It still didnt work. But I heard that....

Dont believe that little "spoiler" haha, we dont even know the full condition for the past two chapters. I also said "a lot of", not "all of"
Apr 29, 2019 5:51 AM

Dec 2016
Never understood it either, maybe it has to do with novelty/timing I guess? Anyway I dropped it the first time I tried it, couldn't get past episode 3 after the potato-girl moment which looked pretty stupid, and the art I found it terrible, almost no consistency among characters-backgrounds, but I may give it another chance.

Apr 29, 2019 5:54 AM

Aug 2012
Arkab said:
Never understood it either, maybe it has to do with novelty/timing I guess? Anyway I dropped it the first time I tried it, couldn't get past episode 3 after the potato-girl moment which looked pretty stupid, and the art I found it terrible, almost no consistency among characters-backgrounds, but I may give it another chance.

its because you have a superior taste.
Apr 29, 2019 6:04 AM
May 2018
Sasori_Nagashi said:

I’m a manga reader, and I agree what you say that in this anime characters interactions isn’t the best at all, including character development. I disagree about “story predictable.” We know something is going to come, like in any other anime, but we don’t know how. This anime is a slow anime, is not like you are going to get hints from nowhere you know. This characters are very realistic, don’t put me some Death Note or Game is Life shit here. These characters have no knowledge about outside the walls. They will die by just a little. Yes, the titans and some other characters have their op powers. But these powers will make sense in not long. The progression of plot is very well paced, also thanks to WIT which they could direct such long and boring arc in the manga in the way they did S3. The score of S3P2 is fair, we aren’t rating the entire anime, we are rating just a season.
Apr 29, 2019 6:06 AM
Jan 2019
Dude you have superior taste than the majority then why are you asking penny humans like us what to watch and not.Maybe the characters in Dragon ball and hellsing have more depth and groundbreaking plot
Apr 29, 2019 6:07 AM
Jun 2016
Judging by your anime ratings, your love BnHA, on the other hand I think BnHA is mediocre and predictable. Other people will will explain it to you, why they think it's good but you will say, no, no it isn't.

We all lived our lives differently, we all experienced different difficult situations hence different types of entertainments may 'ressonate' more with certain individuals compared to others.

Having a taste and what you like and dislike is a good thing not a bad thing, ability to think differently is what makes us humans and not sheeps.
Apr 29, 2019 6:17 AM

May 2017
You sound like some Elitist, Oh wait.... You're one.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 29, 2019 6:20 AM
Jun 2013
Sasori_Nagashi said:

Alright, I think people are being way too hard on you. I would consider myself one of the biggest fans of Attack on Titan and am very involved in the community, but I wasn't always like this. After the first season, I pretty much felt the same as you. I felt that most of the characters were really 1 dimensional and simplistic, as well as the story itself. I often called the show/manga overhyped and nothing special, but after getting further into the story through reading the manga, it's nothing of the sort, and now I would honestly argue that it's one of the most complex and intriguing anime/manga out there.

The biggest problem for me was that, early on, I didn't realize that the simplistic nature of the beginning of the story was done on purpose. For an analogy, the story starts off extremely zoomed in on a few pixels of an image, but overtime, it slowly starts to zoom out, revealing the beautiful piece of art that was always right in front of you.

There is so much more to this story and the characters in it and I would highly recommend for you and anyone else who may have been turned off by the first season to try and go a little further and look at it from the perspective that there significantly more going on in the background than what may initially appear as pretty simple.
Apr 29, 2019 6:33 AM

Feb 2018
Hey OP! It's good to see people staying off the egde and wanting to have a civil discussion :)
About your question, season 2 improves a lot over season 1. Season 2 has better pacing and is majorly focused on horror/mystery. Season 3 has a major tonal shift and has a lot of character development, and is also focused on mystery.
Season 1 was more focused on action and worldbuilding while actual characterization starts from season 2.
The arcs in season 1 are the least best written arcs in AoT objectively even according to the reddit aot community.
Season 4 would have a major tonal shift, where AoT becomes a seinenish manga although it's a point where the community largely separates, ie either you would like or you would hate the direction. And yeah, it becomes much complex with moral grey, ideologies, parallels to a major event in our history (the event is a spoiler)
Apr 29, 2019 6:37 AM

Jan 2019
Funseco said:
Arkab said:

its because you have a superior taste.

ur sarcasm just gets boosted beautifully by that horse avatar, what manga is that from? its hilarious
Apr 29, 2019 6:55 AM
Aug 2017
It is a great story op. It's got great soundtrack, animation, art and at the minimum an interesting story. People who drops this show at the first three or four episodes mostly do so because they just don't want to like it. Give it another go. And as for characters I guarantee you, AoT has one of the best written characters ever. Not every character is great, but they aren't as bland as you say either. And as another person said it doesn't spoon feed you about the world. It gives you clues and you have to slowly piece things together
Apr 29, 2019 7:04 AM

May 2018
Sasori_Nagashi said:

I'm not going to bother to explain it to you, because the show was clearly nothing for you. If you didn't like it/did not think it was THAT special, then so be it. It's up to you to get something out of it or not.

HOWEVER, that opinion gives me a sour taste concerning your avatar pircture. I like JoJo, sometimes more, sometimes less. But Part 1 was exactly that what your're accusing SnK Season 1 for: A boring, (below) average show with bland characters.
So, the next time you're opening another thread that the MAL community has seen thousand of times before, please, oh please consider that some people might just like something you don't. And in SnK's case, just like JoJo's, the nay sayers are the clear, but loud minority.
ArrRtiApr 29, 2019 7:07 AM
Apr 29, 2019 7:11 AM

Mar 2016
Sasori_Nagashi said:
Daphi said:

So you think I wouldn't like the way the storytelling is formatted if I wasn't a fan of the first season? Like it carries on the same way throughout the entire series? Fair enough, thanks for the the input.
No. All seasons are different from each other. First one is frenetic with plot twist and subtle characterization. Second season is more of a mysterie of who is and isn't a titan with a bunge of characterization. Third season (part 1) is a political drama with crazy reveals midway through it. Part 2 is an all out war to retake the walls with more crazy reveals. Season 4 is... well... spoiler of course.
The show itself doesn't stick to a unique storytelling type and the characters change a lot through out the seasons.
What I like more on this show is when the damage is done, it's done. There's no going back. There's no miraculous potion or a power up. It always moves forward.
azertz99Apr 29, 2019 7:14 AM
Apr 29, 2019 7:17 AM

Oct 2018
There is nothing really hype about this arc expect for answers and battles, the next arc is a lot better in my opinion which is definitely hype worthy but I'm excited to see how they will adapt it.
Ri22rkApr 29, 2019 7:58 AM
Apr 29, 2019 7:18 AM
Oct 2018
Stop thinking and watch season 2. It's 12 episodes and as soon as you finish second season, you'll straight jump to the third. That's how good it is.
Apr 29, 2019 7:24 AM
Spiral Warrior

Jan 2017
animehater98 said:
Judging by your anime ratings, your love BnHA, on the other hand I think BnHA is mediocre and predictable. Other people will will explain it to you, why they think it's good but you will say, no, no it isn't.

We all lived our lives differently, we all experienced different difficult situations hence different types of entertainments may 'ressonate' more with certain individuals compared to others.

Having a taste and what you like and dislike is a good thing not a bad thing, ability to think differently is what makes us humans and not sheeps.

I've actually been re-thinking my evaluation of BnHA. I think I let the good fight choreography and good sound design get the better of me when rating it and let myself ignore some of it's more glaring flaws.

Apr 29, 2019 7:25 AM
Spiral Warrior

Jan 2017
ArrRti said:
Sasori_Nagashi said:

I'm not going to bother to explain it to you, because the show was clearly nothing for you. If you didn't like it/did not think it was THAT special, then so be it. It's up to you to get something out of it or not.

HOWEVER, that opinion gives me a sour taste concerning your avatar pircture. I like JoJo, sometimes more, sometimes less. But Part 1 was exactly that what your're accusing SnK Season 1 for: A boring, (below) average show with bland characters.
So, the next time you're opening another thread that the MAL community has seen thousand of times before, please, oh please consider that some people might just like something you don't. And in SnK's case, just like JoJo's, the nay sayers are the clear, but loud minority.

Yep, Jojo part one was fairly weak and was a bit boring to get through but I feel other parts made getting through it worth it, hence why I decided to ask people who love this series if I would find a similar experience with it.

Apr 29, 2019 7:28 AM

Oct 2018
@BestBoiEren that has nothing to do with this thead though, the same thing can also be applied to you for liking fairy tail and sao which are really average at best.
Apr 29, 2019 7:31 AM
Spiral Warrior

Jan 2017
Ricochet2000 said:
Dude you have superior taste than the majority then why are you asking penny humans like us what to watch and not.Maybe the characters in Dragon ball and hellsing have more depth and groundbreaking plot

Your sperg fit that someone dare question your beloved series aside, the characterization in Dragon Ball is some of the weakest in anime. It largely gets by with fans (and admittedly myself) for the nostalgia factor of it being some of the first anime available on mainstream outlets when we were younger.

Apr 29, 2019 7:41 AM

Oct 2016
Sasori_Nagashi said:

The reason you made this thread is probably because you think the score is too high. And you should probably realize that the score isn't this high purely because of hype. Season 1 and Season 2 were really hyped, but the score never reached these heights. Each season has just been improving the quality and writing of the series and people who have stuck with it are starting to see that now. The series may not be for you and that's fine. I just feel like initially when AOT came out, people were just not giving it a fair chance because of all the hype. Now 6 years later and 2 seasons later, it is no longer just a hype series, but one with excellent storytelling and fantastic writing.
Apr 29, 2019 7:42 AM

May 2018
@Sasori_Nagashi

Fair analysis about JoJo, apply the same for SnK and see for yourself because no one can give a definite answer for that, we can't look into your mind.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 Part 2 Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 30, 2019

668 by Beqapapi »»
Apr 12, 1:14 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 Part 2 Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Thorf - May 26, 2019

734 by lightning19 »»
Apr 12, 7:59 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 Part 2 Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 2, 2019

801 by mapachefffff »»
Apr 4, 3:19 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 Part 2 Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 19, 2019

345 by JoestarEISH_020 »»
Mar 31, 8:10 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 Part 2 Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Tsarko - May 11, 2019

369 by TheNewGuy7204 »»
Mar 28, 7:57 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.