Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 26, 2019 6:20 PM
Mar 2018
I haven't read much manga yet. I've read a bit of tokyo ghoul (after finishing the anime) but got bored of it quickly.

Recently I've picked up Made in Abyss after a friend recommended it to me. The first 35 chapters or so were really easy to read as I had already seen the anime and it was just a refresh of what happened so to speak.

After I've started chapters with plot that isn't covered in the anime I started to get lost really quickly. I have a hard time knowing what is happening and following the plot in general. Fight scenes are probably the worst for me as far as orientation goes. I hardly ever know what's going on (even in scenes which I've already seen in the anime) but I can usually just glance over them as they aren't as important.

The real issue is not knowing what's happening when. There could be a flashback or an insight into one of the characters' train of thought and I'd have to read it at least 10x to realize that it's not a part of the main storyline (or the time it's set in isn't exactly after the previous panels).

Is this normal or is Made in Abyss just a hard-to-read manga? Or am I just retarded?
Apr 26, 2019 10:46 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
No you're not the only one. Even in some of my favorites. The action can get a bit daunting. Especially if there is more than just a 1vs1 going on and multiple elements are moving in the background. The panel layouts in any manga are also going to contribute to whether or not it's easy or not to understand the flow of the story. I'm not saying exactly that it's a make or break but being able to understand information comes easier when you can read the page without so much strain with going back and forth.

And as far as retention of information it also depends. But the more logical and viewer reliant the manga is asking you to be the more you have to pay attention. Which is why so many people rather just watch the anime; obviously if you're doing this as entertainment and not because of the fun of figuring out the story. The anime is usually the better pick.

I haven't gotten to the Made in Abyss manga but I was a little off put with how the mangaka shades everything, it looks good but the page layouts are much different then the typical manga. And honestly I know it's a wait but the adaptation is so good I'd just wait to watch it.

Obviously your traction will vary with manga. I love rereading a lot of my favorites so picking back up on new things is never an issue. But if you like getting the whole package and art quality being your biggest pick in anime consumption. Then I'd just stick to it or try both and see which one you like.
Apr 27, 2019 2:41 AM

Dec 2016
Alma_Tes said:

Is this normal or is Made in Abyss just a hard-to-read manga? Or am I just retarded?

Reading manga can be tough, esp when it comes to following the sequence of speech bubbles in different panels. Sure as hell puts a dent into my enjoyment of the manga. However, you seem to be struggling with action sequences and flashbacks, so try genres that are not tough to follow - like slice of life or comedy.
Apr 27, 2019 2:49 AM

May 2015
I don't know about Made in Abyss but usually main story has white background at the corners while flashbacks are surrounded by black.
Apr 27, 2019 8:58 AM
Apr 2018
Alma_Tes said:
Fight scenes are probably the worst for me as far as orientation goes. I hardly ever know what's going on (even in scenes which I've already seen in the anime) but I can usually just glance over them as they aren't as important.

The real issue is not knowing what's happening when. There could be a flashback or an insight into one of the characters' train of thought and I'd have to read it at least 10x to realize that it's not a part of the main storyline (or the time it's set in isn't exactly after the previous panels).

I have the same problem with fighting action/scenes in Made in Abyss: they are so hard for me to follow especially
. However, I don't remember having problems knowing when each event is happening. For example, during flashbacks I think there are much more panels (plus a black background, like the user above said), in a very clear sequence (I don't have the books with me right now and too lazy to google).
Apr 27, 2019 9:22 AM
Mar 2018
Sonal1988 said:

However, you seem to be struggling with action sequences and flashbacks, so try genres that are not tough to follow - like slice of life or comedy.

If I want to watch/read something comedic I'd much more likely go for an anime. The whole reason for picking up the manga is the intrigue of the plot. The anime is behind the manga plot and I was really interested in what will happen next.

Most slice of lifes or comedys are usually quite shallow and simple and that's fine sometimes but it's also what I love about made in abyss the most. It starts off seeming innocently but then the whole story goes crazy.

Sonal1988 said:

Reading manga can be tough, esp when it comes to following the sequence of speech bubbles in different panels.

Also wanted to point out that I don't struggle with following dialogue bubbles. My problem is getting lost when the plot isn't 100% linear

edit: wanted to thank you for your feedback and forgot so ty <3
Apr 27, 2019 9:24 AM
Mar 2018
Ten said:
I don't know about Made in Abyss but usually main story has white background at the corners while flashbacks are surrounded by black.

I've never noticed so ty for letting me know tho that was just an example of the issue I'm having. It's not solely flashbacks I struggle with but all inconsistencies in the linearity of the plot
Apr 27, 2019 9:31 AM

Dec 2016
Alma_Tes said:
If I want to watch/read something comedic I'd much more likely go for an anime. The whole reason for picking up the manga is the intrigue of the plot. The anime is behind the manga plot and I was really interested in what will happen next.
Most slice of lifes or comedys are usually quite shallow and simple and that's fine sometimes but it's also what I love about made in abyss the most. It starts off seeming innocently but then the whole story goes crazy.

edit: wanted to thank you for your feedback and forgot so ty <3

I know I'm in the minority, but on the rare occasions I do feel like consuming comedy, I prefer manga to anime. Simply bc when it comes to anime, I read the subtitles much quicker than the scenes that happen on screen, which kind of act as a spoiler to what's gonna happen in the next 1-2 seconds. I don't like that. I like it when I can match my text/speech with my art/action.
I do agree with you on SoL - it's one of my least fav genres. I genuinely don't get what people love so much about it.

As for manga with deceptive beginnings, you could give those crazy death game manga a try? The ones where a bunch of students are forced to do dangerous tasks just to remain alive? You could also opt for the "psychological" tag on MAL, or even "horror".

And ofc, you're welcome!
Apr 27, 2019 9:53 AM

May 2018
I can't really speak for Made in Abyss in particular but you are (of course) not the only one.

My prime example for this is Tokyo Ghoul re. Somewhere along the halfway point battles came one after another and the looks of the characters were so similar that I had no idea anymore what was going on. That went consecutively for about 4 volumes. o_O
Apr 27, 2019 10:48 AM
Mar 2018
Stripes said:
if you're doing this as entertainment and not because of the fun of figuring out the story. The anime is usually the better pick.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. I find figuring out and or guessing how the story will unravel way more interesting than having it served right to me. Tho it can sometimes be unnerving when finding out you had it wrong all this time after not noticing a clue or accidentally skipping a scene because it was after the closing credits (for anime) or it was in the 'additional lore' (ie the pages where they add some more information about different species or whatever) (for manga)

Stripes said:
But if you like getting the whole package and art quality being your biggest pick in anime consumption. Then I'd just stick to it or try both and see which one you like.

I also don't have any idea what you mean by this. Makes me feel kinda bad bc your comment was so well structured and yet I don'z know what you're getting at

ty for the feedback
Apr 29, 2019 9:07 AM

Dec 2016
ArrRti said:

My prime example for this is Tokyo Ghoul re. Somewhere along the halfway point battles came one after another and the looks of the characters were so similar that I had no idea anymore what was going on. That went consecutively for about 4 volumes. o_O

That.... is a problem with almost all manga that I've read. Had to drop a few bc I couldn't tell apart the characters, which made the plot confusing for me. Most mangaka suffer from this, and tbh it's just lazy drawing.
Apr 29, 2019 2:14 PM

Sep 2016
I'm confused too with the manga currently. Maybe it's just me forgetting what's currently happening due to the amount of time it takes to release the chapters. But yeah. You're not the only one. Whew, I thought that I was the only one since I become confused easily.

Life has no meaning,
but that doesn't mean
we shouldn't live it

Jul 26, 2019 2:42 AM

Mar 2019
The long wait for new chapters can make it confusing. Not a lot of intro to flashbacks to be... dramatic? Iirc some chapter that opened with an action scene without much introduction in the Bondrewd arc which made me go all wut before just saying ok, so the characters are running around and fighting a lot. Also seems like an opportune time to mention MIA started in 2012 and we're still waiting for it to be finished sigh.
Aug 10, 2019 6:59 AM

May 2019
Alma_Tes said:
Fight scenes are probably the worst for me as far as orientation goes. I hardly ever know what's going on (even in scenes which I've already seen in the anime) but I can usually just glance over them as they aren't as important.

The plot is just a normal japanese "not that simple" plot, (hey, it is not Disney mindset) but is not hard to understand.

However, the action scenes are far from the best. That is an area where the animation of Akihito's work made ALL the diference to the sucess of Made in Abyss.

And it is his fault. Not a general manga issue.

If you guys wanna check a real masterpiece of fight and action in manga, try Yusuke Murata's One Punch Man.

- Clear, Detailed, Frenetic.

More topics from this board

» Best new gen series

XiongYifan - Feb 29

10 by Riot »»
Apr 18, 7:26 PM

Poll: » Made in Abyss Chapter 67 Discussion

Xenocrisi - Feb 14

24 by Artromex »»
Apr 13, 3:58 PM

Poll: » Made in Abyss Chapter 40 Discussion

Xenocrisi - Jul 7, 2017

12 by owennordness41 »»
Feb 26, 5:02 PM

Poll: » Made in Abyss Chapter 66 Discussion

Xenocrisi - Jul 30, 2023

10 by WeLoveIs »»
Feb 21, 10:07 AM

Poll: » Made in Abyss Chapter 51 Discussion

Satou0Kun - Mar 31, 2019

26 by Luma2 »»
Feb 19, 6:54 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.