Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Apr 26, 2019 1:18 PM

Apr 2016
So after watching Yakusoku no Neverland, the character Grandma, a bad-guy has the top half of her face covered by shadow.

I've seen this before and understand it's symbology, but I'm wondering if there is a term for it or a more in-depth description of where the symbolism came from in Japanese culture.

Or is it just some cool imagery somebody created by chance to denote bad-guy-ness?

Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 26, 2019 1:23 PM
Jan 2018
Isn't this just being a hentai protagonist?
Apr 26, 2019 1:32 PM

Aug 2013
In this case, it's very universal. I don't think there's any specific term. Shadows are often emphasised as a symbol of menace or of the unknown or just plain villainess, and in that case, hiding only the eyes is just far more menacing than hiding the mouth, for instance, but it's not only about the eyes. I can be used in anything. It's also easier to imply emotion this way, especially in animation, since animating eyes to show emotion is far more difficult.

For reference: https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FaceFramedInShadow

The whole "hidden eyes" thing though is pretty common in anime and manga in a myriad of situations, not only for bad guys. Probably just a recurring staple that ended up sticking.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HiddenEyes
Apr 26, 2019 1:43 PM

Mar 2015
Jarylo_R said:

So there's hentai of Neverland's Grandma? Fascinating.
Apr 26, 2019 1:44 PM

Aug 2017
I think it's just something created for bad-guy-ness like the evil laugh.I suppose it comes from the western cartoons and comics where the villain usually is covered in a shadow for create a somehow a feeling of mystery.Probably the japanese liked this effect and,since they really care about eyes,they decided to use it in this way
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 26, 2019 1:44 PM

Apr 2016
Satyr_icon said:
In this case, it's very universal. I don't think there's any specific term. Shadows are often emphasised as a symbol of menace or of the unknown or just plain villainess, and in that case, hiding only the eyes is just far more menacing than hiding the mouth, for instance, but it's not only about the eyes. I can be used in anything. It's also easier to imply emotion this way, especially in animation, since animating eyes to show emotion is far more difficult.

For reference: https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FaceFramedInShadow

The whole "hidden eyes" thing though is pretty common in anime and manga in a myriad of situations, not only for bad guys. Probably just a recurring staple that ended up sticking.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HiddenEyes

Thanks for the reference.

Eyes are the windows to the soul.

So to cover them means you have hidden your soul or have lost it entirely.
Apr 26, 2019 1:46 PM

Apr 2016
Mirai said:
Jarylo_R said:

So there's hentai of Neverland's Grandma? Fascinating.

I already thought Neverland was creepy enough, I don't need a hentai of it too, thank you very much.
Apr 26, 2019 1:49 PM

Jul 2016
It looks like she covered her eyes with an eye mask.
Apr 26, 2019 1:58 PM

Jul 2014
Thread moved from Anime Discussion
Take care of yourself

More topics from this board

» I'm in a dilemma help ( 1 2 )

Saphhh - Mar 25

51 by EpicAlphaMale »»
Apr 1, 1:40 AM

» Best Season of Anime Ever?

bigeli2020 - Jul 18, 2022

47 by Zimmu »»
Mar 25, 12:35 PM

Poll: » Yakusoku no Neverland Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 28, 2019

567 by Sus_baby »»
Mar 25, 12:53 AM

Poll: » Yakusoku no Neverland Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 28, 2019

295 by Yanarsen »»
Mar 4, 7:41 AM

Poll: » Yakusoku no Neverland Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jan 31, 2019

245 by WuzWutz »»
Feb 22, 7:35 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.