Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Fruits Basket Collector's Edition
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Apr 28, 2019 4:15 PM
Apr 2019
Oni_Zokuchou said:
And wow, Yuki’s really not a likeable character for me. Sucks since he’s supposed to be the main love interest, by the look of it. I’m gonna need some good bloody reasoning as to why he’s such a dick to Kyou on the next couple of episodes, because Kyou being more likeable than him and a better people person really isn’t valid reasoning for how much of an arsehole he is.

You won't get that (or anyone's) full background for quite a while. But consider this: Kyo doesn't constantly yell at/say he hates/insult and try to beat up Yuki because of the way Yuki acts towards him. Yuki acts that way towards him because Kyo constantly yells at/says he hates/insults and tries to beat him up.

Bigger spoiler?

thebond_thecurseApr 28, 2019 4:22 PM
Apr 28, 2019 9:10 PM

Jan 2013
I enjoyed the previous episodes, but this.. wtf is this? That girl acts like a psycho and no one cares, and not only that but she also plays the victim the next minute, they give us a muh "sad mood" and we're supposed to feel sory for her or what? I wished someone could just slap her. God, this reminds me why I dislike shoujo, I thought this was going to be an exception because it started really well, but now I'm pissed. I feel sorry for Kyou atm, his surroundings in general are so oppressive it's not surprising he acts like that. This is very sad, actually.

Now could some manga reader please spoil me if Kagura ends up with someone, and if yes - with who? Does she appear often? Because I don't know if I should continue this or not.
fuyukiApr 28, 2019 9:26 PM
Apr 28, 2019 10:11 PM

Aug 2014
fuyuki said:
I enjoyed the previous episodes, but this.. wtf is this? That girl acts like a psycho and no one cares, and not only that but she also plays the victim the next minute, they give us a muh "sad mood" and we're supposed to feel sory for her or what? I wished someone could just slap her. God, this reminds me why I dislike shoujo, I thought this was going to be an exception because it started really well, but now I'm pissed. I feel sorry for Kyou atm, his surroundings in general are so oppressive it's not surprising he acts like that. This is very sad, actually.

Now could some manga reader please spoil me if Kagura ends up with someone, and if yes - with who? Does she appear often? Because I don't know if I should continue this or not.

Apr 28, 2019 10:17 PM

Jan 2013
Ruise said:
fuyuki said:

Okay, that's good to hear. I guess I'll continue watching this, thanks.
Apr 29, 2019 6:28 AM

Feb 2019
I can't believe how sweet Tooru is, I just want to hug her! I feel sorry for Shigure, how many times has he had to repair a hole somewhere in his house? Kagura Is a very interesting character, can't wait to see more of her!
Apr 29, 2019 7:57 AM
Mar 2016
lihle808 said:
Kagura is an interesting character, I wish she didn't have to leave so that she keep on loving Kyo hard.

I guess the grandpa is alright now or maybe dead???

just you wait the next episode is probs one of my all time fave parts from the original anime and manga
Apr 29, 2019 8:03 AM
Mar 2016
el_morris said:
Yeah... I didn't liked Kagura either.

So, let me get this straight, the family that wasn't interested in taking care of Tooru, now wants her to be with them? Maybe I'm wrong, but... Are you f---ing kidding me?

lol no you got it all wrong it just means that the renervations of the grandfather's house are done (that was the reason she was living in a tent in the first place and now with the sohmas.) tho yes, her family is TRASH you will see that but you will love her grandfather
Apr 29, 2019 10:14 AM
May 2016
Absolutely hate Kagura, unfunny and annoying, yet most people love her.
Apr 29, 2019 10:17 AM

Feb 2016
Oni_Zokuchou said:
My god, I already hate Kagura. Abusive characters are so lame. Poor Cat.

Seeing a lot of people saying stuff like “aw she’s violent but her love is pure!” Ex-fucking-cuse me? The girl needs a therapist/a visit to the psyc ward, and a lesson on how not to be a terrible human being and how to express affection. But it’s okay right, because violent bipolar-like outbursts of assault are fine when it’s a cute girl doing it. ...Right?

You would have a point if Kagura's behaviour wasn't supposed to be comedic. The juxtaposition between this seemingly sweet and adorable girl and the extremely violent outbursts she is capable of is clearly not to be taken seriously.
Apr 29, 2019 11:09 AM

Oct 2012
JokerVentura said:
Isn't it a blessing to have some care about you?

When they're an obsessive violent sociopath..........gonna go with no.

Poor Souma.

Lol right? Touru is insane. Cant say I'm a fan of this new character, I'm glad the extreme over the top violent tsundere girl trope has died down in recent years.
ChromephoneApr 29, 2019 11:14 AM
Apr 29, 2019 11:48 AM

Apr 2012
ggultra2764 said:
Looks like this was mostly the same as episode 4 from the 2001 anime in that chapter 5's adapted, while adding in additional anime-only material to pad out the runtime of the episode.

-When Kagura attacks Kyo after he silences her from revealing anything further about his "true form", Kagura placed him in an armbar in the manga instead of uppercutting him.
-Pretty much, all scenes involving cooking and shopping focused around Kagura's jealousy of Tohru is anime-only.
-Due to the additional anime-only material, there is a removed manga scene showing Shigure telling Kagura to stay in a bedroom for the night to keep her from wrecking any more of his house. Some dialogue from the scene with Kagura remarking that Shigure doesn't understand a girl's feelings and Shigure acknowledging that he understands the feeling of being jealous is carried over into one of the anime-only scenes with Kagura fleeing Shigure's house after one of her outbursts against Kyo led her to wreck the dinner table she prepared.
-The flashback coming from Kagura explaining how she met Kyo as a child is actually from chapter 68 of the manga.
-When Tohru climbed up to the roof of Shigure's house to see Kyo, she was in pajamas in the manga instead of her normal clothes.
-Before leaving Shigure's house, there is an added anime scene with Kyo blocking one of Kagura's punches during another of her outbursts before Kagura follow-ups with an elbow to the gut.
-The anime shows up Kagura's skirt slightly as she waves good bye to Tohru and the Sohma boys, which isn't shown in the manga.
-This episode marks the anime debut of Tohru, Kyo, and Yuki's homeroom teacher, Mayuko Shiraki, who has a somewhat more active role in later manga chapters. She appears in place of a male teacher (from the manga) to inform Tohru of the phone call from her grandfather.

Wow, thank you so much for this analysis!
Apr 29, 2019 11:51 AM

Apr 2012
Shymander said:
Everyone here going on about Kagura, but Yuki's zoom-and-charm was honestly the funniest moment of the series so far for me:

As expected from such a handsome guy, that he even was the first love of another guy :D
Apr 29, 2019 12:56 PM

Nov 2007
I am surprised how good the adaptation has been so far. I still miss the OST and amazing VAs from the original one but this quickly grew on me.

Enjoy it while the comedy lasts. :)

Just gonna give away a slight spoiler. Make sure to watch beyond season 1. You'll realize why it is widely regarded as a timeless manga.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Apr 29, 2019 3:50 PM
Jan 2017
Anime_Dog said:
Oni_Zokuchou said:
My god, I already hate Kagura. Abusive characters are so lame. Poor Cat.

Seeing a lot of people saying stuff like “aw she’s violent but her love is pure!” Ex-fucking-cuse me? The girl needs a therapist/a visit to the psyc ward, and a lesson on how not to be a terrible human being and how to express affection. But it’s okay right, because violent bipolar-like outbursts of assault are fine when it’s a cute girl doing it. ...Right?

You would have a point if Kagura's behaviour wasn't supposed to be comedic. The juxtaposition between this seemingly sweet and adorable girl and the extremely violent outbursts she is capable of is clearly not to be taken seriously.

It’s incredibly dated comedy, that’s for sure. It’s just a bit cringy to watch.
Apr 29, 2019 5:56 PM

Sep 2018
another violent girl.. I really find them annoying.. I forgot about her, I watched old version before but I forgot the boar, I thought she's shy and cute.. she's so annoying!

Every episodes, I love Yuki!!! I really ship him with Tohru huhu
Apr 29, 2019 8:15 PM
Mar 2014
Good episode, enjoyed it. Having said that, I went back and started to watch the older one again and from what I'm reading, it seems to be more faithful to the manga. Why are they changing things? In the old one, Kagura actually caused a fire lol and had to work through the night to clean up+fix the broken door allowing her to bond with Tohru, but not so with this one. While I'm enjoying the remake, the old anime is on par so far, if not better in several cases.
Apr 29, 2019 9:04 PM
Aug 2011
fuyuki said:
God, this reminds me why I dislike shoujo, I thought this was going to be an exception because it started really well, but now I'm pissed.

This is quite a sad generalization towards shoujo I hope you widen your viewpoint one day.

Anyway as for the episode itself: Bullshit abuse like this was not funny two decades ago and it's not funny now.
Voice itself I don't mind but that's because I love Kugimiya Rie. Looks like my love for her one Kagura doesn't transcend to the other, heh.
Apr 29, 2019 9:42 PM
Apr 2019
8igfan said:
Good episode, enjoyed it. Having said that, I went back and started to watch the older one again and from what I'm reading, it seems to be more faithful to the manga. Why are they changing things? In the old one, Kagura actually caused a fire lol and had to work through the night to clean up+fix the broken door allowing her to bond with Tohru, but not so with this one. While I'm enjoying the remake, the old anime is on par so far, if not better in several cases.

Well, I'm really not sure why you think the (2001) anime is more faithful to the manga. Have you read the manga? Kagura causing a fire and having to fix the broken doors and staying up all night to talk with Tohru - none of that happens in the manga.

But her wanting to cook a meal and using everything in the fridge and going out shopping and making hamburger steaks with Tohru doesn't happen in the manga either. (The part with her repairing the doors and putting paper cats on them was actually pure homage to the (2001) anime).

This was the first episode of the new anime to add some filler apart from the manga. (Episode 3 rearranged some events, pushing a later chapter up the timeline a bit, but didn't add any filler). While by this point in the (2001) anime there had been tons of filler, plus several things left out. For example, that blue hat you keep seeing since episode 1 of this anime. It was in the manga. The (2001) anime completely cut it out in every form it's going to show up. (This anime has actually added it in a few extra times, I guess to push home the point to manga fans that "hey hey hey we're following the manga this time").

And much of it that manga fans know mean this time around the anime is dedicated to the manga are more subtle. Such as Shigure's line after Kagura leaves to go shopping, where he quietly says to himself, "Even I get jealous sometimes". That is a line that was in the manga, delivered in the same way, that is serious and foreshadowing some bigs things later on in the manga. In the (2001) anime Shigure said that line to Kagura as well, but it was delivered comedically, directly to Kagura, who then called him a pervert and started chasing and hitting him. Big difference.

Lastly, since this is the first episode to add some filler, they did it in a clever way that actually added some things from later parts of the manga. The flashback of Kagura meeting Kyo drawing fried eggs in the dirt is directly from a later chapter of the manga. Her deciding to put a fried egg on his hamburger isn't, but it was filler made using canon information from later in the manga, which I think is pretty neat. It really shows a difference between the two anime adaptations, where this one is dedicated to the plot, themes, and overall tone of the manga that they already know the story of in full, while the (2001) version cut out and changed major plot elements, went with different overall themes, and completely shifted the tone to 90% comedy.
Apr 30, 2019 12:08 AM

May 2015
Kagura is one of the least favourites, I hate the trope of the animal girl getting a free past to beat the guy and there be no consequences, but I'm looking forward to the following Zodiac members to come in.
LuroonMay 4, 2019 3:55 AM
Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso is shit
Apr 30, 2019 12:38 AM

Nov 2011
Ugh. Least favorite episode so far. I've managed to forget how obnoxious Kagura was and unfortunately this remake lacks some of the derpy sense of humor that would perhaps make her outrageous behavior seem a bit more comedic and palatable. Ohwels.
These faces are so cute that I might just leave them here (#`Д´)´∀`)・ω・) ゚Д゚)゚∀゚)・∀・) ̄ー ̄)´_ゝ`)
Apr 30, 2019 1:53 AM

Jan 2013
stand said:
fuyuki said:
God, this reminds me why I dislike shoujo, I thought this was going to be an exception because it started really well, but now I'm pissed.

This is quite a sad generalization towards shoujo I hope you widen your viewpoint one day.
It's not a generalization, it's my experience with shoujo so far, and don't worry about my viewpoint - I'm not closed off, that's why I'm here, in a shoujo anime discussion subforum.
Apr 30, 2019 5:02 AM
Dec 2013
Kagura reminds me of Tae Shimura from Gintama. <3
Apr 30, 2019 5:07 AM
Oct 2018
Chelle said:
Kagura is probably my least favorite of all the Soumas. I've just never cared for her character at all. *sigh* I guess I'm going to be in the minority.

YOU ARE NOT IN THE MINORITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOT ONLY DO I NOT CARE FOR HER, I ABSOLUTELY HATE BITCHES WHO RAISE HANDS ON PEOPLE TO MAKE THEM LOOK CUTE!!!!!!!!!!THEY ARE FUCKING NYMPHOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!MIND ME, FUCKING NYMPHOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I WILL MAKE THEM SIGN IN THE DEATH NOTE!!!!!!!!!!!
Apr 30, 2019 7:33 AM

Jun 2017
Tohru said "right-handed jab" but used her left fist.

She got him back. If you understand the characters well enough, you'd know she did!
Apr 30, 2019 9:18 AM

Dec 2016
Kagura is savage! XD Good episode!

[*]My Completed List
[*]♪Listen ►
[/list][/left]
Apr 30, 2019 9:40 AM

Mar 2010
kyou needs a snicker xxdd

kagura would've been another favorite character of mine if she had the first personality lol
Apr 30, 2019 1:03 PM
Jul 2018
Yuki and the mail man... Im dead. x)
Apr 30, 2019 9:38 PM
Dec 2018
Lain666 said:
I am watching this is out of curiosity. To see what I will like and dislike after so many years.

This episode it was so obvious that this is based on old manga with things other than that they don't have smartphones with comments like:

"Marriage is woman's greatest dream" - Eh? Really?
Kyo thinking that martial arts must be an uninteresting topic to a woman. - Rather sexist by today's standards.
Come to think there are clear traditional gender roles in this story. Woman are doing cooking and cleaning and Kagura even learnt to cook for a guy.

This is really food for thought; you'd be surprised that there are still a significant portion of the Japanese population that think like this.
Apr 30, 2019 11:32 PM

Mar 2017
Yessssssssssssss waited for the crazy taiga comeback

Melody2222 said:
Yuki and the mail man... Im dead. x)

And this!
May 1, 2019 12:53 AM

Apr 2008
yoongiddaengs said:
Lain666 said:
I am watching this is out of curiosity. To see what I will like and dislike after so many years.

This episode it was so obvious that this is based on old manga with things other than that they don't have smartphones with comments like:

"Marriage is woman's greatest dream" - Eh? Really?
Kyo thinking that martial arts must be an uninteresting topic to a woman. - Rather sexist by today's standards.
Come to think there are clear traditional gender roles in this story. Woman are doing cooking and cleaning and Kagura even learnt to cook for a guy.

This is really food for thought; you'd be surprised that there are still a significant portion of the Japanese population that think like this.

I know. However, the portion that is reading shoujo manga seems to have moved on. Just compare Tooru to heroines from shoujo manga stories which are popular now like Shirayuki and Yona.

Fruits Basket was not revolutionary in the late 90s and the early two-thousands, so it feels now dated in terms of mindset unlike stuff like Princess Tutu and Utena, which were revolutionary back then.
Lain666May 1, 2019 12:58 AM
"The moment one sits down to think, one becomes all nose, or all forehead, or something horrid. Look at the successful men in any of the learned professions. How perfectly hideous they are! Except, of course, in the Church. But then in the Church they don't think. A bishop keeps on saying at the age of eighty what he was told to say when he was a boy of eighteen, and as a natural consequence he always looks absolutely delightful."
May 1, 2019 4:53 PM

Apr 2018
Kagura the Boar xD this ep was pretty funny I love how she is so in love with the CAT xD
May 2, 2019 1:26 AM

Dec 2013
nice episode - the moment with the mailman was hilarious XD didn't like Kagura very much, but oh well
May 2, 2019 7:21 AM
May 2019
Im loving this series ,im not the shojo type but this series has me hooked! Looking forward to episode 5 tomorrow!
May 2, 2019 4:03 PM

Apr 2013
The rooftop scene is sweet.
May 2, 2019 4:58 PM

Jun 2015
i dont like kagura's personality but she gave me a good laugh, especially with the mail man
May 2, 2019 6:09 PM
Jan 2017
Lol Kagura is savage when we talk about Kyo. This seems promicing
May 2, 2019 11:36 PM

Dec 2016
Tohru spitting a lot of facts in this episode
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
May 3, 2019 10:49 AM
Sep 2017
Loving Kagura so far, hope she ends up with Kyo.
May 3, 2019 11:42 AM

Aug 2008
felipeliborio said:
This Kagura is soooooo anoying. She made the episode hard to watch.

This!!!!! You're right.
May 3, 2019 10:04 PM

Aug 2016
Ew, that girl is SO abusive. Didn’t like this episode.
May 4, 2019 4:33 PM

Mar 2009
Chelle said:
Kagura is probably my least favorite of all the Soumas. I've just never cared for her character at all. *sigh* I guess I'm going to be in the minority.

Definitely not, as you can see from all the replies in the thread.

Positive? Kagura is voiced by the wonderful KugiRie? Negative? ...just Kagura in general.
Kagura was always one of my least favorite Fruits Basket characters. Annoying character. Terrible and tired trope that is, thankfully, all but gone nowadays in anime. Kagura has not aged well.
May 5, 2019 5:11 AM
Feb 2017
Chelle said:

I feel the same way. My brother was so happy to see her and im like... I don't really like her... but I don't like people that tend tords violence for no reason...
May 5, 2019 10:14 AM

Mar 2012
I'm all for tsunderes being hit by someone, go Kagura! Every tsundere deserves to be treated like that. The older anime version left a bad overall impression of Kyo but he doesn't seem as bad here, I still prefer Yuki though.
May 7, 2019 8:41 AM
Jan 2018
Does she have a personality disorder or something is it a effect of her zodiac
Mattinator95May 7, 2019 9:03 AM
May 7, 2019 5:11 PM

Mar 2012
GlowingAura said:
I honestly think that this was the best episode so far!!

We got my girl Kagura, more of Kyou’s personality, and Tohru being as sweet and amazing as ever. Looks like next episode will be about her having to move out, then we’ll be continuing the school festival? I’ll have to reread this part of the manga.

Anyway, Kagura’s seiyuu was really spot-on with her role. I’m probably the only one who likes her, as well as all of the other characters (except for Akito lol). There’s been a lot of foreshadowing for Kyou and Yuki’s backstories recently.

Maybe it’s just me, but the long disproportioned legs the characters have from far away look really awkward and distracting. It’s weird because in scenes such as on the roof, the proportions for Tohru are perfect. I get that it’s anime and most of the time the character designs are meant to be unique, but when the girls were walking home, Kagura’s dress barely reaches her legs which makes it look a bit too unrealistic.
Am I the only one who sees a big difference between these frames?

yes!
first time i noticed it, tooru was walking with yuki, i guess, and everytime they show them walking like that i keep asking myself where their asses are and those are really weird knees.
i like the character designs, most of the characters look better than in the original, but the legs are weird and they would be extremely thin if we take their heights in consideration.
May 9, 2019 7:12 PM
Jan 2019
1. Kagura is adorable, but at the same time destructive, very destructive. I was surprised by his sudden personality change. She is very funny. Do not stop laughing in almost the whole episode thanks to her 😂. Poor Kyo, he's a puppet in his hands, LOL.
2. What did Kagura mean by the "true form" of Kyo? It left me with the intrigue.
3. If Kagura stayed to live in Shii's house, in a week there would be nothing left for her to live in. 3.
4. "I think it's amazing to be able to love someone so much", it is.
"Marriage is a girl's biggest dream" ... and the nightmare of many men xD.
5. Tohru has a way of being miraculous, he gains people's trust with a few truly sincere words. It's wonderful 😊.

It is a pity what happened at the end of the episode, the only thing that occurs to me is that his grandfather died 😞.

PS: I do not have the faintest idea if the panda is in the Japanese zodiac, but I thought Kagura was one 😅.
May 16, 2019 1:32 PM

Jun 2007
beating the crap out of a guy... sounds like true love! *tears up* just so damn romantic. she even got in the shower. cute! :'] true love guys, true love
see you, space cowperson . . .
May 27, 2019 10:01 AM

Aug 2017
Not good as the first three episodes...(I mean first half) but Tohru talking to Kyou-kun on the rooftop was nice! (and Kyou-kun shirtless ofc) I don't like Kagura....she is literally a domestic abuser lol.

WTF that ending.
NurguburuMay 27, 2019 10:13 AM
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
May 28, 2019 12:55 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Quite the amusing episode, this!

Kagura’s a really sweet girl + an abuser xD, loved the revelation of her abusing side with Tooru’s blank expression! Unlike many others here, I found her character to be fairly enjoyable but I’ve to agree this episode was probably the least entertaining so far. Tooru’s talk with Kyo on the rooftop scene was really nice! And that reveal of her being a boar was pretty cool too, I really have to wonder how Yuki managed to dodge that bullet though xD. Shigure hinted at an unrequited love too, now that’s very curiously amusing! Meanwhile, Tooru blushed in response to Yuki’s “I thought so” so I wonder if there’s something here too.

Seems like there’s a shocker up for next episode, can’t wait to see what that’s about! I hope it’s not the death of her grandfather, though the following vague monologue hinted at something else. Does she have to leave the family now or what, I wonder if the mysterious Akito person is behind pulling the strings here.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

May 28, 2019 12:28 PM

Oct 2013
ohhh, so not all the zodiac are dudes! Color me surprised.

Kagura's clingy side is cute but her violent bursts turn me off. It's like she's a tsunderedere.

BTW Tohru you punched him with your left arm you buffoon.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fruits Basket (2019) Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 2, 2019

117 by ashura_chan »»
Apr 9, 3:59 PM

Poll: » Fruits Basket (2019) Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - May 3, 2019

217 by bruh98hy89 »»
Mar 29, 8:39 AM

Poll: » Fruits Basket (2019) Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - May 17, 2019

231 by Ant161718 »»
Mar 17, 4:33 PM

Poll: » Fruits Basket (2019) Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 26, 2019

123 by Jordanrane02 »»
Mar 16, 9:48 PM

Poll: » Fruits Basket (2019) Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 20, 2019

191 by Nova22 »»
Mar 9, 5:58 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.