Forum Settings
Forums

'Grisaia: Phantom Trigger' Receives Sequel

New
Apr 26, 2019 8:31 AM

Mar 2013
Front Wing announced that a new sequel for its Grisaia: Phantom Trigger theatrical adaptation is in the works. The new production is to be based on the third volume of the visual novel (pictured), and will be crowdfunded from June in order to ensure higher quality.

Front Wing began developing its adult visual novel series and released Grisaia no Kajitsu on PC in February 2011. Two sequels, Grisaia no Meikyuu and Grisaia no Rakuen later followed in February 2012 and May 2013, respectively.

Studio 8bit animated the first game adaptation in Fall 2014 for 13 episodes. The second game was adapted into an hour-long special in Spring 2015 that aired days before a second anime adaptation, which concluded the trilogy.

Grisaia: Phantom Trigger is Front Wing's current project in the franchise that spans over six volumes. The company released volume 5.5 and 6 on April 26. Director Motoki Tanaka's newly established Bibury Animation Studios produced the March 15 movie, which adapted volume one and two.

Source: Comic Natalie

Grisaia: Phantom Trigger The Animation - Stargazer on MAL
VindstotFeb 24, 2022 10:14 PM
Apr 26, 2019 8:35 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Oh, that’s quick! Good to see a Sequel of this already and here’s to hoping the Crowdfunding does wonders!

Hopefully, the first movie is good so I can be even more excited for this upcoming sequel project!
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Apr 26, 2019 8:40 AM

Feb 2014
Nice, more Grisaia.
Apr 26, 2019 9:28 AM
Jul 2018
Grisaia was one of my first anime. I'm definitely doing to be re-watching this soon. Although, the visual novel does contain sex scenes, so there's a chance I'll play that.

Skana said:
So, no Yuuji in this series? Skippppppppppppppppppppp

How come?
Apr 26, 2019 9:38 AM
Apr 2016
changelog said:
Grisaia was one of my first anime. I'm definitely doing to be re-watching this soon. Although, the visual novel does contain sex scenes, so there's a chance I'll play that.

Skana said:
So, no Yuuji in this series? Skippppppppppppppppppppp

How come?

'cause it's a spin off, not sequel of the original Grisaia. It takes place several years after "Rakuen" with new girls, new uniforms and different protagonist. Yuuji is... well, nobody really knows what he's doing. Initially this even wasn't suppose to be set in Grisaia universe, so we probably won't ever get the answer.
Apr 26, 2019 9:39 AM
Jul 2018
JanPri said:
changelog said:

How come?

'cause it's a spin off, not sequel of the original Grisaia. It takes place several years after "Rakuen" with new girls, new uniforms and different protagonist. Yuuji is... well, nobody really knows what he's doing. Initially this even wasn't suppose to be set in Grisaia universe, so we probably won't ever get the answer.

What a shame. I really liked Yuji... Oh well, I'll probably only re-watch the ones that feature him and the original cast. Hopefully he makes some sort of appearance. Perhaps as an antagonist when he is older.
Apr 26, 2019 7:11 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

LETS FUCKING GOOOOOOOOOOO

Now...

i just need to see PT first XD
Apr 28, 2019 12:25 AM
Jul 2018
Grisaia is forever. I love this series so much!
Apr 28, 2019 9:58 AM

Sep 2009
Sakana-san said:
Director Motoki Tanaka's newly established Bibury Animation Studios produced the March 15 movie, which adapted volume one.

There is a mistake here. The first movie adatpted volumes 1 and 2.
Apr 28, 2019 10:26 AM

Mar 2013
@Nachtwandler_21 fixed. Thank you! (:
Apr 29, 2019 10:01 AM

Mar 2014
Good, I still have to play the novels.
Apr 29, 2019 12:30 PM

Jan 2019
I will support this simply because I like girls with guns, but having read all the VNs Phantom Trigger is a pretty sorry excuse for a Grisaia title since it lacks any charm of the originals. I think they just tacked the well known Grisaia name on there to make it easier to make a buck.
Apr 30, 2019 2:00 AM
Oct 2018
Imagine having a hateboner for phantom trigger while not reading it and saying it has nothing to do with the original when

Imagine that
Nevertheless happy for this, up to volume6 it has been way better than the original so i hope all of them get adapted eventually
Apr 30, 2019 2:05 AM
Oct 2018
changelog said:
JanPri said:

What a shame. I really liked Yuji... Oh well, I'll probably only re-watch the ones that feature him and the original cast. Hopefully he makes some sort of appearance. Perhaps as an antagonist when he is older.

Saying it's a spinoff is not entirely correct, it's very much a sequel and they even completely revealed the point this starts in the latest volume and what yuuji's conenction is, it's a pretty huge reveal and one of the best in the series imo
May 2, 2019 1:30 PM

Jan 2019
NaotoCC said:
Imagine having a hateboner for phantom trigger while not reading it and saying it has nothing to do with the original when

Imagine that
Nevertheless happy for this, up to volume6 it has been way better than the original so i hope all of them get adapted eventually

To be honest I think you are misunderstanding why Phantom Trigger gets flak from Grisaia fans. The reason is that the characters have extreme lack of character compared to the original series. While I felt emotionally invested in the original characters; I wouldn't feel a thing if any of the Phantom Trigger characters got offed.

Also, per your spoiler, one of the reasons I disliked PT was they started putting hokey super power-like crap in it. Yuuji didn't go around deflecting bullets with a sword or start going into hyper speed mode or whatever. Part of the charm of the originals was that they kept the series relativity grounded.
May 3, 2019 8:49 PM
Oct 2018
DiscoDespot said:
NaotoCC said:

Imagine that

To be honest I think you are misunderstanding why Phantom Trigger gets flak from Grisaia fans. The reason is that the characters have extreme lack of character compared to the original series. While I felt emotionally invested in the original characters; I wouldn't feel a thing if any of the Phantom Trigger characters got offed.

Also, per your spoiler, one of the reasons I disliked PT was they started putting hokey super power-like crap in it. Yuuji didn't go around deflecting bullets with a sword or start going into hyper speed mode or whatever. Part of the charm of the originals was that they kept the series relativity grounded.

Oh yea, original cast were full of character and not maximum tropes lmao. Sorry both casts have extreme similarities, it only gets flack cause people can't move on.Also pt goes way more in depth in the action scenes than original ever did to keep it completely grounded, Haruto is the only exception and now we know why lol, Not like yuuji was ''grounded''. Again, people who just want more of the original exaggerate a fuckton and overrate original way too much while trying to make a sound comparison when the bias is obvious. Meanwhile most people who liked grisaia also really like pt me included. The hate is just the minority of the minority aka mal users as per usual lmao,
Seeing ''confusing'' plot as an arguement is the biggest contradiction by far also. Oh yea i'm sure a linear plot split in volumes is more confusing than Kajitsu where they are desperate to keep so many stuff hidden and 80% of it ends up being non-canon lmao.
May 4, 2019 9:18 AM

Jan 2019
NaotoCC said:

Oh yea, original cast were full of character and not maximum tropes lmao. Sorry both casts have extreme similarities, it only gets flack cause people can't move on.Also pt goes way more in depth in the action scenes than original ever did to keep it completely grounded, Haruto is the only exception and now we know why lol, Not like yuuji was ''grounded''.

Again, people who just want more of the original exaggerate a fuckton and overrate original way too much while trying to make a sound comparison when the bias is obvious. Meanwhile most people who liked grisaia also really like pt me included. The hate is just the minority of the minority aka mal users as per usual lmao,
Seeing ''confusing'' plot as an arguement is the biggest contradiction by far also. Oh yea i'm sure a linear plot split in volumes is more confusing than Kajitsu where they are desperate to keep so many stuff hidden and 80% of it ends up being non-canon lmao.

You said the cast have extreme similarities which is another problem I have with the series. Alot of the characters (not all) seem like carbon copies of the originals, but with less depth, especially since the play time in each girls arc is a lot shorter than in FOG. Infact, it is shown that Haruto actually IS just a copy of the originals.

As you said, PT goes into a lot more depth into the action scenes, the problem is that it is at the cost of developing the characters so well like in FOG. Focusing more on action is the wrong direction for the series since the strength of visual novels is in plot and characters, not so much action. While anime action is never going to be entirely reality based (like a guy taking a point blank hit from a .454. Casull and still fighting on adrenaline) adding in 'special powers' undermines the genre of PT itself, which is a story of a military tactical unit. Juicy Yuuji was OP sure, but he was still human and he could still be cornered by normal combatants because he doesn't have super human speed and brain power. It is a large hit to immersion when a story about a military unit has some superman running around.

I don't know where your point of 'confusing plot' comes from. Neither FOG or PT has any huge plot twists. Both series has a certain level or mystery that is later revealed, but Grisaia is hardly a confusing series.

Lastly, you are mistaking my view of PT flaws as hate. I said before that I enjoy the series and will support it. Phantom Trigger has it's own appeal, I just don't think it can really be seen as a successor to the Grisaia name since it doesn't feature what made the original so lovable.
May 4, 2019 9:26 AM
Oct 2018
DiscoDespot said:
NaotoCC said:

Oh yea, original cast were full of character and not maximum tropes lmao. Sorry both casts have extreme similarities, it only gets flack cause people can't move on.Also pt goes way more in depth in the action scenes than original ever did to keep it completely grounded, Haruto is the only exception and now we know why lol, Not like yuuji was ''grounded''.

Again, people who just want more of the original exaggerate a fuckton and overrate original way too much while trying to make a sound comparison when the bias is obvious. Meanwhile most people who liked grisaia also really like pt me included. The hate is just the minority of the minority aka mal users as per usual lmao,

You said the cast have extreme similarities which is another problem I have with the series. Alot of the characters (not all) seem like carbon copies of the originals, but with less depth, especially since the play time in each girls arc is a lot shorter than in FOG. Infact, it is shown that Haruto actually IS just a copy of the originals.

As you said, PT goes into a lot more depth into the action scenes, the problem is that it is at the cost of developing the characters so well like in FOG. Focusing more on action is the wrong direction for the series since the strength of visual novels is in plot and characters, not so much action. While anime action is never going to be entirely reality based (like a guy taking a point blank hit from a .454. Casull and still fighting on adrenaline) adding in 'special powers' undermines the genre of PT itself, which is a story of a military tactical unit. Juicy Yuuji was OP sure, but he was still human and he could still be cornered by normal combatants because he doesn't have super human speed and brain power. It is a large hit to immersion when a story about a military unit has some superman running around.

I don't know where your point of 'confusing plot' comes from. Neither FOG or PT has any huge plot twists. Both series has a certain level or mystery that is later revealed, but Grisaia is hardly a confusing series.

Lastly, you are mistaking my view of PT flaws as hate. I said before that I enjoy the series and will support it. Phantom Trigger has it's own appeal, I just don't think it can really be seen as a successor to the Grisaia name since it doesn't feature what made the original so lovable.

You expect to love a cast that has a total screentime equal to the first grisaia, since up to vol5 it's 1 route each u might as well consider vol6 onwards a sequel, as much as a cast with 3 full games and like 10years of knowing it. If u wanna say u loved the cast enough off Kajitsu I'm gonna call bs on that. Ofc it's subjective in the end. I myself rly like the new cast and see way more potential than original cast.I love the original as well but if I'm comparing my impression of first game with current phantom trigger content I find they a ton more interesting.
May 4, 2019 2:57 PM

Jan 2019
NaotoCC said:

You expect to love a cast that has a total screentime equal to the first grisaia, since up to vol5 it's 1 route each u might as well consider vol6 onwards a sequel, as much as a cast with 3 full games and like 10years of knowing it. If u wanna say u loved the cast enough off Kajitsu I'm gonna call bs on that. Ofc it's subjective in the end. I myself rly like the new cast and see way more potential than original cast.I love the original as well but if I'm comparing my impression of first game with current phantom trigger content I find they a ton more interesting.

I was basing my comparison on the first VN only, that is what FOG stands for; Fruit of Grisaia. Compared to just FOG, PT still has alot less time per girl and it wasted the time it did have on action instead of building the characters.

You are going to have to set off your BS alarm, because I was attached to the cast from the first game, the sequel games were mostly action and plot and were not dedicated to building the characters (aside from Kazuki and Yuuji) like FOG. So by the time you reach EOG you either like the cast or you don't.

That being said, arguing back and forth about what girls are more loveable is useless since it will simply be a clash of opinions, which I am sure neither of us are willing to compromise on.
May 4, 2019 5:03 PM
Oct 2018
Well yea in the end you just like the original cast more and you overrate the building you speak of. I can't see how kajitsu had more building than pt altogether one bit. You get like 5~8 hours of comedy before you go into any route then the routes go by in a flash compared to that. Even amane who is the important one goes straight to flashbacks (after sex spam) then boom route is over (with a really lame convenient plot device on top of that).Michiru, actually personal favourite, still very short, easily as long as a pt volume on its own. Same with the rest. You can keep saying it had a fuckton of building that pt never did but that just boils down to you liking the characters from the start. Their routes are easily as long as pt volumes once you actually lock on the routes with the exception of amane and maaaybe yumiko by a longshot.
tl;dr i think character building is pretty much the same on both titles i just happen to like both casts. I don't think kajitsu ever had amazing building like you do it was decent both length wise and quality wise.
On the superhuman point. There's a reason haruto barely takes part in the missions? Up till now he did absolutely nothing game changing in the party's missions. Nothing superhuman tier thats for sure. All the superhuman stuff is mostly teases of stuff he has done and part of vol5 flashback. Idk why cutting bullets is super bullshit to you it's not even that far into supernatural territory. The most supernatural element pt saw was in vol5 and that was a flashback and not even from haruto specifically.
May 4, 2019 5:05 PM
Oct 2018
Ah also another point is that compared to kajitsu the routes in pt don't delete the rest of the cast for the sake of the route and romance. You see the whole cast on screen pmuch the whole time except backstories and they are not resolved around romance, so uh yea.
Jul 21, 2019 2:27 AM

Nov 2007
Updated key visual w. two more characters added. New PV, Crowdfunding starts on July 26.
https://www.animatetimes.com/news/details.php?id=1563446485

Megumi Kumashiro: Suzuko Mimori
https://natalie.mu/comic/news/341318

Crowdfunding reached goal
https://www.animatetimes.com/news/details.php?id=1564455338
tsubasaloverJul 30, 2019 7:39 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Jul 21, 2019 4:28 AM

Jan 2018
Oh lol crowdfunding. I still like this anime even though I'm not sure if I'm willing to potentially get emotional damage but hey this one is promising for romance seekers.

More topics from this board

» 'Maougun Saikyou no Majutsushi wa Ningen datta' Announces Supporting Cast

Hyperion_PS - 8 minutes ago

0 by Hyperion_PS »»
8 minutes ago

» 'Mahoutsukai no Yakusoku' Announces Production Staff, Cast

DatRandomDude - 2 hours ago

3 by trinitroglycerin »»
17 minutes ago

» 'Suki demo Kirai na Amanojaku' Reveals Additional Cast, Trailer

Hyperion_PS - 2 hours ago

1 by RobertBobert »»
43 minutes ago

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - Yesterday

30 by RobertBobert »»
1 hour ago

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

3 by Etherius_ZS »»
4 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.