Forum Settings
Forums

Hearing character's thoughts is bad storytelling!

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (11) « First ... « 9 10 [11]
Apr 30, 2019 3:33 AM

Jan 2019
Peaceful_Critic said:
CallMeHoot said:

And as I said, once your broaden your experience you'll hear it used a lot of other places. I didn't make the same mistake. I used the word correctly. If you needed clarity, you should have asked for it. As you said "the context could've suggested anything". The onus is not on me to provide clarity unless you tell me it's required.

And if indeed the context could have suggested anything, then you were wrong to make the assumption that I meant it in a statistical sense.

Are you sure you're not safeanew on a different account? You're getting to be almost as circular in your posts as he is.
I was the first one to use the word as a rebuttal to your "you are younger than me so you are less mature". You should've asked me.

I didn't see your edit when I made the response. As you clearly can see based on what I quoted.

Lol. Again with the "No, you!" playground retort? I wasn't unclear about what you meant. You used the word in a statistical sense. I did not. I didn't need to ask you anything to refute your claim, which I did, and have proceeded to do, over multiple posts, that you've ignored.

And where the fuck did I say "you are younger than me so therefore less mature"? Don't put words in my mouth.
CallMeHootApr 30, 2019 3:38 AM
Apr 30, 2019 3:40 AM

Jan 2019
Railey2 said:
HungryForQuality said:
A shame that OP is facing so much vitriol despite being civil throughout and staying on topic.

If your differences are irreconcilable, then stop responding to OP. If they aren't, then debate civilly.

No point in coming on a thread to insult OP and assert your dominance. People on this forum don't need to hear that, I'm sure the people you interact with in real life know how smart you are.
bullshit, OP is baiting super hard, and he's not even smart about it. He's being obtuse on purpose, pivots whenever he gets called out or just straight up ignores counterarguments. He isn't even playing devils advocate, he's just arguing in bad faith, and it's showing.
He deserves all the shit he's getting 3 times over, lmao.

What he's doing is pretty much the opposite of having a civil discussion.

@Tenma here is the difference. I lead people on but at least I'm not making dishonest arguments/straight up lie to people. Sure it's provocative, but it's in good faith.

This guy leads people on AND he's dishonest at the same time. And yet, this thread stays open .. why?

I stand by it, you guys don't know what the heck you're doing.

Mate, this thread has gone way beyond the need for a lock.

If @Tenma is the mod with the power to do so, I implore him to do it. OP is making the same circular argument against anyone that responds, regardless of the content of their response. If that's not baiting, I don't know what is.
Apr 30, 2019 3:43 AM

Sep 2011
Safeanew said:
Meau94 said:
So from what I've gathered from this thread, I think you are mistaking something. You claim that dialogue is bad because "why should I care what the characters are thinking/feeling when I only care about the story?"

From what I gathered, you aren't the type to want to empathize with characters. You don't actually care how the character feels. It's just who you are and isn't your cup of tea. You aren't the first person I know who is like this. Because this isn't your taste, naturally it would make you think it's bad story telling. Well is it? Not necessarily.

For me personally, and for most other people, we like to understand how the characters are feeling. It in fact just adds much more to the story for some people because we find it adds tension when seeing yourself in that characters shoes. For you it doesn't because for you personally you don't really care what the character feels, so therefore for you it doesn't feel like it adds to the story at all.

My argument is that, hearing the characters' thoughts hinder you in placing yourself in their shoes.
I care about the characters having a chance to talk for themselves rather than having them being explained away by reasons that don't really matter for what is actually happening in the story.
Can you argue for how it adds to the story, as in what way does it affect in the story?
Or is it only for the audience to feel better?

Actually the reasons for characters actions do matter plenty in a story. When us audience is watching a show, and we for example see a character just mindlessly killing people without dialogue, we would think "oh okay he is just a random psycho then... I hope he dies", where if you see his inner thoughts and find deeper meanings towards his actions and realise there is much more to what is coming, then I don't understand how exactly that hinders the story. It actually guides you into the right direction of what the author is trying to tell you in the story. If the author would have to leave out the dialogue in those moments, I wouldn't have the slightest clue with what is going on next as there wasn't enough context from before.
Apr 30, 2019 4:41 AM

Apr 2017
Peaceful_Critic said:
hairu said:

Throughout the entire story conveying a different characters opinion can be done through multiple mediums, it wouldn't be repetitive.
Context is needed before anything else, and presentation is usually a visual way to communicate something. Rarely are characters shown just their opinion and a whole different expression that doesn't match it. There are exceptions, like Umaru-chan where the character is two-faced and acts differently depending on the person. That said, that is the exception, most characters in the majority of circumstances don't need to hide their opinions. In the cases, they hide their opinions from other characters, the artists often show you their feelings anyway. for instance, Miku would blush or smile around Saturo even though it was hidden to him that Miku was in love with him. The shy, introverted characters who hide their opinions often show it through facial expressions. Miku throughout the whole anime didn't have any or had rarely inner monologues despite not being a very open character.

I'd still like to have moments with inner monologues than just characters expressions presented throughout an entire show. What if a character is alone, would you just like them to talk out loud?
Apr 30, 2019 4:43 AM

Nov 2017
But this is what makes anime unique from other mediums.
Apr 30, 2019 6:02 AM

Feb 2017
Thread locked for not encouraging discussion, baiting, trolling, and derailing.

You're disappointing me. If you know full well it's bait, why are you biting it? This topic is no longer available for discussion. In the future, please use the Report feature, rather than add to the problems yourself.

Site and Forum Guidelines Section I.3 and I.6: Trolling, abuse and/or harassment will not be tolerated. Please report rule violations to the staff using the Report links or this form. Do not attempt to address or correct the situation yourself.

Anime Discussion Rules 2: Please refrain from creating threads that do not encourage discussion.

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (11) « First ... « 9 10 [11]

More topics from this board

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

210 by perseii »»
11 seconds ago

» Early-mid 2000s anime – what are your thoughts?

Haneken2086 - Apr 23

34 by joseifan »»
1 minute ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

125 by logopolis »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » How much do you consume from the otaku world?

castle2001 - Apr 22

36 by Acctra »»
4 minutes ago

» Is it over for newcomer boomers?

LenRea - 9 hours ago

21 by Acctra »»
6 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.