Forum Settings
Forums

Changing default from Watching to Plan to watch

New
Apr 24, 2019 7:45 AM
Mar 2019
Hi. Whenever I add a new anime to my list, it adds it as watching by default; instead, I want it to be added as Plan to watch. How do I change that without changing it every single time I add an anime?
May 5, 2019 8:19 PM

Jul 2009
I think the only way to do this is by adding the new anime directly from your list by using the 'Add to List' feature and setting the status to 'Plan to Watch.' However, this is much slower than just going to the anime's entry page and changing 'Watching' to 'Plan to Watch' because of loading times.
Jun 28, 2020 10:52 AM
Jun 2020
Ohayou. I'm a new user who just registered today, and I immediately ran into this issue of the default list being the "Watching" -list. Which severely diminishes the usefulness of the "Plan to watch" -list.

The way I see, is that the process goes something like this

1. First person plans to watch something
2. Then actually starts watching
3. Then finishes watching

It would make sense that the planning list would be the place new stuff goes to. And I'm sure you have some sort of use statistics on the site. I would venture a guess that most users add most stuff to the "plan to watch" when they first add something to their lists.
Jun 28, 2020 12:39 PM

Aug 2018
I honestly don't get bothered by that. I just switch it to plan to watch.

Nov 17, 2020 6:33 PM

Sep 2019
Kakku-kun said:
Ohayou. I'm a new user who just registered today, and I immediately ran into this issue of the default list being the "Watching" -list. Which severely diminishes the usefulness of the "Plan to watch" -list.

The way I see, is that the process goes something like this

1. First person plans to watch something
2. Then actually starts watching
3. Then finishes watching

It would make sense that the planning list would be the place new stuff goes to. And I'm sure you have some sort of use statistics on the site. I would venture a guess that most users add most stuff to the "plan to watch" when they first add something to their lists.

True and I would prefer this on the site too; its a feature available in their app. If it really bothers you that much.
Also instead of pressing 'Add to list', which is under the score, and its default is 'set as Watching'; You can press 'Add to my List', which is under the image and allows you to select what category your placing it under before submitting.
LeosparsNov 17, 2020 6:43 PM

Nov 18, 2020 3:47 AM

Feb 2019
it isn't a big deal, but those extra clicks every day start to add up I guess.
Nov 18, 2020 10:41 AM

Dec 2019
It's pretty easy to make a tampermonkey script to change the default watching to plan to watch when adding an anime/manga to your MAL
Click here to see My Tampermonkey Scripts For MAL

If you like my work, please consider supporting it!
https://www.patreon.com/hacker09

Nov 19, 2020 11:05 AM

Oct 2019
It’s annoying I agree, I wish the default was Plan to Watch. It only happens when you try to add it to your list, right? Yeah it doesn’t make sense
May 6, 2021 6:39 PM

Oct 2020
The app "MALClient" has that "Default anime/manga status after adding to list" option (which I have set to plan to watch, it works exactly how you're asking), seems wierd that a third party client has such a no brainer feature but not the site itself
Tráiganme a DIO

May 21, 2021 6:27 AM
May 2016
hacker09 said:
It's pretty easy to make a tampermonkey script to change the default watching to plan to watch when adding an anime/manga to your MAL
It’s not easy, I’ve been trying for 2 hours and did not succeed, got told to replace the button with my own and use the API đź‘€
May 21, 2021 6:44 AM

Dec 2019
@Jendrej

I doubt it's something hard to do.

You also don't need to make your own button or use the Mal API.

Analyze my script codes "automatically add start/finish dates", I did that on this script and it wasn't hard.

You just need to make a fetch request then if you want you can make it show the change on the default mal button, but that's needless
hacker09May 21, 2021 7:05 AM

May 21, 2021 7:10 AM
May 2016
hacker09 said:
@Jendrej

I doubt it's something hard to do.

You also don't need to make your own button or use the Mal API.

Analyze my script codes "automatically add start/finish dates", I did that on this script and it wasn't hard.

You just need to make a fetch request then if you want you can make it show the change on the default make button, but that's needless
That script is long as hell though. I would expect an “easy script” to take maybe 10 lines :v
If you have a lot of experience with webdev, everything will be easy for you.
I wouldn’t expect changing options on a button to have to “fetch” anything either.
jendoreiMay 21, 2021 7:14 AM
May 21, 2021 2:54 PM

Dec 2019
@Jalinne
@Kakku-kun
@Leospars
@AcbSnakeDemon
@dankbidoof
Just Install https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/426831-add-new-entries-to-ptw

@Skittles
Now people can use the script on greasyfork

@Jendrej

I will make it later when I have time and share the link here...

I don't have a lot of experience with web dev,it's been a year since I started learning Js... Hahaha

The default Mal button has an advent listener that makes a fetch request to change the anime status, so you have to make a fetch request to change that too...

Just add a change advent lister to the default Mal add button,then make the fetch request and you're done

This is it
fetch("https://myanimelist.net/ownlist/anime/add.json", {
  "headers": {
    "content-type": "application/x-www-form-urlencoded; charset=UTF-8"
  },
  "body": "{\"anime_id\":40356,\"status\":6,\"score\":0,\"num_watched_episodes\":0,\"csrf_token\":\"YOU TOKEN CODES\"}",
  "method": "POST"
});

The code above adds the anime https://myanimelist.net/anime/40356/Tate_no_Yuusha_no_Nariagari_Season_2 to your PTW list, you could make a new button or replace the default mal add button, but it's easier to do
mal btn element.innerHTML = mal btn element.innerHTML
, this removes the mal btn element event listener, then you can attach your own onclick event listener to the button and make that fetch request above

*Update
Here is it
https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/426831-add-new-entries-to-ptw

If you are interested in knowing how I started doing this following everything I told you this is the code, then I learned there was a better and easier way to do that so I published that better and 10 lines shorter way on greasyfork, you can open the greasyfork codes if you want to see and learn how I did it, I took about 50 minutes to do both scripts and it seems that both of them are working, though the codes are different

More topics from this board

» Why does MAL not support catbox.moe image links?

vasipi4946 - 10 hours ago

0 by vasipi4946 »»
10 hours ago

» Got 502 Bad Gateway trying to create topic in Support

vasipi4946 - 10 hours ago

0 by vasipi4946 »»
10 hours ago

Sticky: » Inactive Username Request Thread ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Sep 21, 2015

3366 by Midoriya_lzuku »»
10 hours ago

» Invalid ID provided.

Zagafon - Sep 10, 2016

2 by Kitsunes97 »»
Yesterday, 9:24 AM

» Sort your list by member count/poularity?

paperkitten - Jun 17, 2010

1 by abdallah929 »»
Yesterday, 7:58 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.