Forum Settings
Forums

How unique is your anime taste? Do you watch for fun or a greater purpose?

New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Apr 26, 2019 4:10 AM
Oct 2017
I watch anime for the interactions between characters so i enjoy pretty much any type of anime altho i guess i enjoy SOLs with a little something extra (e.g fantasy, magic, supernatural) a bit more than other genres i guess

Mainly entertainment but i guess i can brag that i spent countless hours watching drawings move around on a screen hahaha
Apr 26, 2019 4:49 AM
Jul 2018
I'm not sure how unqiue my taste is. I'm always searching for animes that are really complicated so I feel very satisfied when I understand the story
Apr 26, 2019 9:07 AM

Sep 2013
i wouldn't say it's all that unique.
i watch it for enjoyment. however, there are shows i'll find boring but will continue to watch anyway for the sake of it as long as it has little things i like about it.
Apr 26, 2019 10:15 AM

Sep 2015
How unique is my taste?

If I judge that on how many profiles I see whith high affinity to me, it's not particularly unique. Anyone who has a mean score below 7 has a good chance having 60+% affinity to me. But I think affinity is not a good measure. It doesn't account for how important certain titles to people. On can hate anothers favorites and like what the first hates the most and still have a decent affinity. It also doesn't account for the reasons someone likes or dislikes something.

So if I measure uniqueness as how many people appreciates the same things the same way I do, then there are a couple of people, but still my taste will be completely unique to me.

Do I watch for fun or a greater purpose?

I'm not an influencer or a researcher. I don't even want to be one.
Apr 26, 2019 10:23 AM

Feb 2017
Anime is entertainment media. So aside from the obvious entertainment value as well as those who are addicted to it, is there any other purpose?
Best ending line in anime history = "My name is Saiki Kusuo. I am a psychic."
Apr 26, 2019 10:44 AM

Mar 2017
not unique. I'm a normie. I watch for fun.
Apr 26, 2019 11:03 AM

Oct 2015
There is no "ultimate goal" of watching anime other than to have fun. Sure, there are different ways one can attain enjoyment but the purpose will always be to be entertained. For some, flashy and cool looking fight scenes will suffice, others may fancy a more visceral tale that appeals to their emotional side and there are people who find the very act of analyzing and breaking down components of a show that make them feel a certain way enjoyable, even if they didn't necessarily liked the show. Whether you're a casual watcher, a self-proclaimed critic, a so called "elitist" or anything in-between the endgoal is enjoyment.
Apr 26, 2019 12:50 PM
Jul 2018
I watch mostly for fun but if I get something else out of it then it's a bonus.
Apr 26, 2019 1:19 PM

Oct 2013
Basically I'll try anything so long as it has some kind of action,sci-fi, supernatural or fantasy element to it.
This sometimes leads me to watching genre that a lot of people seem to want to avoid like harem, ecchi and mecha.
Apr 26, 2019 1:49 PM

Aug 2017
It think to have an unique taste.I mean all of my friends have a completly different taste that don't come close to mine at all
I watch anime for fun,I never watched something I didn't liked just because most of the people think it's good
MucosaApr 26, 2019 1:52 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 26, 2019 1:52 PM

Jul 2016
My taste is so unique, I am not a pleb who likes Anime like Mushishi and Monster.
Apr 26, 2019 2:00 PM
Jul 2018
I watch it to have fun obviously. It's also always nice to find one that gets the gears turning. I like thinking about the plotting, characterization, character development and atmosphere of an anime. It's enjoyable for me.

I don't see how enjoyment is separate from the other categories of rating. My level of enjoyment is basically an amalgamation of how well it did in most or all the categories. I don't think I should change my score to suit someone else's standard. If I enjoy it, I like it and I give it a positive rating. Period.

I don't think my taste is particularly unique but I think it's different enough to be distinguished. Whether that's a good thing or not, I don't know but that's just my taste.

Apr 26, 2019 2:01 PM
Jul 2018
Optigisa said:
My taste is so unique, I am not a pleb who likes Anime like Mushishi and Monster.

So what the hell is wrong with Monster now? No spoilers cuz I haven't watched it but yeah if you could please tell in general terms.
Apr 26, 2019 2:08 PM

Mar 2016
Considering how easy I seem to fall in love with random stuff nobody seems to care about, I guess my taste has to be pretty unique.
Apr 26, 2019 2:11 PM

Aug 2012
I watch Anime for shits and giggles. And plot, can't forget about that.
Apr 26, 2019 2:15 PM

Nov 2016
HungryForQuality said:
Optigisa said:

So what the hell is wrong with Monster now? No spoilers cuz I haven't watched it but yeah if you could please tell in general terms.

Nothing, he just tries hard to be edgy.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 26, 2019 2:18 PM

Jul 2016
HungryForQuality said:
Optigisa said:

In short: It is boring, slow, stretched out and the villain gets no development and barely appears for most of the time.
Apr 26, 2019 6:48 PM

Nov 2013
i can tell you for certain, i didn't start watching anime to acheive enlightenment. initially i enjoyed magical battles. and to this day i still enjoy action and what one could consider a 'fun' or lighthearted anime.
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Apr 26, 2019 10:14 PM
Nov 2016
To be honest I don't think I have a unique taste in anime, but I do like to dig everywhere trying to find gold and I been successful more then a couple of times.

And I do watch anime seeking a greater purpose, for inspiration and I want to be able to bring more of the anime culture to my country and who knows maybe be able to produce one of my own
Apr 26, 2019 11:47 PM

Aug 2017
Nope. I don't have an unique taste and I like it that way. Not being able to share some same opinions with someone else is a bit boring and lonely.

I watch anime mainly for the fun. Not for a higher purpose like boosting my intellect or something like that. Seriously, I don't get why so many people think that their taste is a measurement of their intellect lol.
Apr 27, 2019 10:17 AM

Sep 2014
i dont think it very unique, i watch anime that are considered fairly popular or at least pretty well known.

I watch to kill boredom, sadness, seriousness.

I watch so I say I can have a hobby even though it's not the most masculine hobby.

I watch so I can have something to enjoy with a potential future friend or romantic interest.
Apr 27, 2019 10:30 AM

Sep 2018
Only for fun. :D
Watching and then rating. :)
Apr 27, 2019 11:45 AM

Dec 2012
Well, I'm 0.7 below MAL's average mean score for users which means no, I'm not unique other than being a tiny bit harsher with my ratings.

Also I am a just a hero user for fun.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

May 3, 2019 7:28 AM
Jul 2018
Wouldn't most people call their own taste is unique?

I know for myself that my preferences are more the darker, sad / melancholic stuff and I love specific settings and characters (although a wide range of them). Also, I clearly prefer a few themes over others and a little more "realistic" and western style appeals much more to me than most moe styles or too many, typcial anime tropes for example.

At least, I have never seen a 1:1 copy of my favorite lists (but similar to mine) and I think, I have a specific taste, but I can watch and enjoy a few other genres outside "my box" as well, but not all of them.
Most time, I just don't have the motivation to force myself through stuff, when I know right from the start that it's not made for me.

It's also how I watch and read anime and manga: If I really like something, I take more time than just watching it. I love fandoms, fanwork, analyzing things on my own, etc... and I sometimes would rewatch or reread some anime I have seen too. A few more often.
So I don't watch tons of anime, normally. I know, I won't finish the challenge again. :'D
removed-userMay 3, 2019 7:41 AM
May 3, 2019 7:32 AM

Jan 2017
IpreferEcchi said:
It's a two-part question, and you can respond to both or just one.

I'm still trying to influence others to watch neglected anime, but I recognize the NECESSARY EVIL of somewhat keeping up with current stuff.

And I have some secret projects (blog posts) I'm watching anime for. I'm not making the blog posts until I have enough content.

for fun! I don't watch anime to accomplish anything just when I'm bored I wanna watch a show. And sometimes I feel like watching an anime so I watch an anime, no different with any other type of entertainment.
you're cool
May 7, 2019 2:41 AM

Sep 2008
I'm not sure if my taste is unique.
I watch each show for a different reason.
seasonals out of boredom or looking for the next exciting ride.
some simply because somebody recommended it.
my personal interest lies in cyberpunk, horror and gore but there aren't many like that esp. nowadays.
I've started watching shows that influenced evangelion for the hell of it.
I've stockpiled a ton of 80s, 90s ovas because of the animation quality and shading.
the latest shows I picked up were two precure ones.
"this mc looks cool, I wonder what the show is like."
"they have swords, how bad can it be?"
those were the reasons.
馬鹿げた倫理 全部ガラクタで
May 7, 2019 2:54 AM

Sep 2017
I wouldn't really consider myself to have unique taste in anime, I guess because I don't really see myself as a special snowflake, but hey take from this whatever you will.
Bury me in some fashion, in something fashionable.
May 7, 2019 3:17 AM

Jun 2016
I'd say very unique. Or maybe "random" is the correct word to describe it.
May 10, 2019 2:54 PM

Mar 2018
Idk if this is unique but I can watch anything. Yuri, Yaoi , Reverse Harem, Male Idols. Anything. If I didn't like a genre in the past, I started watching shows to develop feelings for it and it worked. Its hard for me to dislike good ratied shows because I don't have a unique taste if its enjoyable I will like it, even if the whole anime is a dude watching paint dry. I also like watching non popular shows. Idk I have a lot completed but I'm still missing some big dawg anime. I like watching weird stuff
May 10, 2019 3:13 PM

Apr 2017
Anime taste...? MMMMMMMMMMMMMHH... Idk if it's strange or not... I mean I love things like Naruto but at the same times I also likes anime that no one cares about (Like Zero No Tsukaima which is my favorite anime).
But if we talk about taste in genre is pretty simple, I like action isekai ecchi with romance development and battle shonen so the usual things. I watch everything to. Except shonen ai and yaoi, I mean, I don't have nothing against it but I don't like it.

About the second question: Pretty good argument in my case.
Ofc, first of all, I watch anime because it's fun. While some years ago I would just said this, actually there are lots of reasons now.
I watch them because they are basically one of the few things that make me feel something. I can't feel emotion by a movie, and that's the motive why Im just a fucking weeb who doesn't do anything else about animemangalightnovelsjrpgshentaigachagamesanimesubredditslisteningtojpoporjrock etc.

And then, there is also another one. I always struggled for finding my dream some years ago.
Even if I was a little brat (and Im still just a kid since Im 15) I always searched for something to do.
After years of searching, when I was still a normie but I watched some anime, I thought "What if I try to work in Japan as an animator"? Hell, I was a sweety, I really thought to become an animator in Japan holy shit I will shoot my balls now instead of something like that. But still, that one made me realize with some time my true dream, which is indeed work in Japan, but as an illustrator and maybe as a mangaka (I want to start with simple illustration tho).

So after this long af comment, yeah, I watch anime also because anime isn't just a passion or a hobby for me, but also a goal and a dream.

btw pardon my sad lexicon but Im not native.
May 11, 2019 6:53 AM
May 2019
While I would like to venture on anime that aren't necessarily mainstream per se (Lain, Mononoke, Cossette no Shouzou and the likes) I guess Comedy and Slice of Life is still the best genre for me, so I'd say my taste on anime isn't anything unique. Also, why would someone watch anime not for fun lol
May 11, 2019 8:40 PM
Jul 2018
I used to be against anime. I thought "Anime? Gross.. how dare you talk about such a taboo topic in PUBLIC." I know, pretty close-minded. Then one day I was intrigued at how some animes have hundreds of episodes, and I gained an overnight respect for the hard-working animators of Japan. Thus my first anime, One Piece.

Shortly after, the concept of One Punch Man intrigued me: an unbeatable protagonist? Isn't that, like, illegal in the world of fiction? Guess not (if you don't count Saitama's moral struggle with boredom). Count that as my second anime. My third was "Welcome to the N.H.K.". Back in 2016 during some YouTube searching, I found myself in a PewDiePie video where he listed his Top 10 Recommendations. I don't know why someone *too cool for anime* like *me* was interested. But when PewDiePie explained the plot of WTTNHK, I thought "wow, how relatable"... because "social anxieties", amiright. By the time I'd finished my third anime, I realized just how addictive it really was.

It was far better than cartoons... heck, far better than live-action. It was a gorgeous combination of the two in fact, but with more.
- While cartoons are so simple (in terms of shape and color), anime is the most detailed form of animation, with full-fledged anatomical characters maneuvering a plane -- a type of entertainment that cartoons are too lazy or low-budgeted to bother with.
- Anime is similar to live-action in that it primarily features humans to animals/fictitious creatures (which would require CGI or high-budget rendering); in other words, it's more relatable than cartoons, featuring human dilemmas with physical obstacles that would burden someone with human anatomy (as opposed to a talking sponge or stretchy bulldog) -- as well as mental and emotional dilemmas, like fitting in at school.
- Not to mention anime is just like live-action movies but with infinite capabilities, only ending when the underpaid sleep-deprived Japanese animator is rendered unconscious by his tedious work regime.
... and maybe I've strayed a bit off topic from the original question, but THIS is why I feel anime is the best media to watch.

Not to mention it's a blast associating with another culture. I feel so gosh golly cultural watching animated schoolgirls eat ramen. Look at me, International World Class Explorer Alexander here.

Anime is a distraction from the otherwise depressing real-life struggles we're faced with.
- After arriving home from a mind-numbing day having to learn and recite useless facts and/or place time and effort into things I don't want to do like flip burgers for a living, I can forget that life is a drag and live out my fantasies through a well-illustrated character and the fantastical situations they face.
- Orrrr, hey, when I'm forced to pull weeds in the garden with my grandfather -- or drive two hours back and forth between college commutes -- I can drift into a daydream where I recap the latest episode of Dororo or Attack on Titan.

Ooo, speaking of AoT, sometimes an anime's lore and concept is enough to dictate your life. ((Sometimes I'll sit down and force myself to watch Sword Art Online, the awful post-timeskip series of One Piece, harem, etc etc as if it's a mandatory routine, BUT...)) there's times when the plot of an anime is SO interesting that it's all you can think about. AoT is such an original concept -- and if not, then it's a difficult series to execute and therefore only one had the drive to actually follow through with it -- and just daydreaming about the complex lore behind it -- and what a different universe it is to our's, is a lifetime's worth of entertainment.

Unfortunately, the obsession can grow unhealthy. To the point where all you wish to do is watch the next episode in your current series. There's been times where I've zoned out (dangerously while) driving, during family gatherings, during tests and quizzes, during live-action movies (lol), and during legitimate job posts... there's been times where I've canceled plans with friends because I'd rather watch the next episode... or times I've postponed course work to watch JUST ONE MORE EPISODE... times I've refused to sleep because there's NOT ENOUGH TIME IN THE DAY... or times I've bailed on otherwise beneficial activities because my investments are in defeating the final boss or winning the maiden.

In the end, I guess I just watch for fun. I, like everyone else, am confused as to what you mean for "greater purpose". I honestly couldn't fathom if you're implying people watch anime for spiritual purposes, or to meet some kind of greater goal. Then again, that's precisely what I do sometimes.

Sometimes I get so fed up with the mandatory and unfair aspects in life, that I say "Screw it. I'm throwing in the towel. I'm not gonna strive for greatness. I'm gonna spend the duration of my life doing nothing," but keeping in mind that I don't want to die without having experienced great things, I tell myself, "Why don't you watch 500 different animes before you turn 40. That way if you get a heart attack around this age, you can at least have died having experienced many different plotlines and animated perspectives." After all, it's utter bliss being encapsulated by an animated experience. Living out your dreams, undergoing sensual pleasures, finding inspiration, and heck, even love, all through this form of media. This would absolutely make life worth it. I couldn't do it in the real world, but I had very similar experiences thanks to these gorgeous mediums the modern world can provide.

Think about it, it's not like colonial children could fight dragons or demons whenever they so chose to. We, on the other hand, can pick from a selection of THOUSANDS of Japanese animations -- one catered to our exact likings. A 17 year old culinary student in 1870 would have to read a novel (probably non-fiction) to carry out fantasies that pertain to their interests. We on the other hand can Google "cooking anime" and bam, we've got 60 days of entertainment right there. And don't even get me started on hentai you dirty dogs.

I could honestly write a whole thesis on why anime is innovative. Beautiful. And EVER-so immersive. Yes, immersive. Perhaps this is the reason most of us watch it. It's an escape. It provides joy like no other media can. And heck, it's evident that many people even pursue it because there's nothing else that brings them the same amount of satisfaction or fulfillment.

In the end, if I reach an age where I feel I've accomplished nothing -- where I haven't created any long lasting relationships -- where I haven't travelled outside of my U.S. state -- I can remember the time I saved the world from the Homunculi ... the time I found love in [insert romance anime] ... the time I traversed the Sandora Desert in Alabasta or outer space in my Hawaiian themed space-ship with my cat-like alien friend.

I learned about farming in "Silver Spoon". I fought a cyborg in "Inuyashiki". I met a seductive extraterrestrial in "FLCL". I saved my mom from her assassination in "Erased". I gained superpowers in "My Hero Academia". I reached my physical pain tolerance in "Corpse Party". I listened to jazz in "Kids on the Slope". I ate a fucking banana in "Aho-Girl".

There was the time I communicated with ghosts in "Mob Psycho". I experienced poverty in "Arakawa Under the Bridge". I was a national league Shogi player in "March Comes in Like a Lion". I ate so much candy in "Dagashi Kashi". My hand turned into a shape-shifting monster in "Parasyte"... and later it turned into a nude girl in "Hidori Days". I experienced a sense of brotherhood in "Prison School". I scuba-dived in "Grand Blue". And the list goes on...

If I died tomorrow, maybe I'd be satisfied with the things I was able to experience thanks to anime. But it'd also be a shame, because if I could experience this much in just three years, who knows how much more is to come?

In conclusion, that's my purpose for watching anime. I'm not going far in life. But thanks to anime, I think I'll still be able to experience everything life has to offer.

Damn, why'd I ever diss on those anime kids back in middle school... this is the life!
removed-userMay 11, 2019 8:49 PM
May 11, 2019 8:54 PM
May 2019
Just for fun and I don't care if the act is evil or not.
Who is the strongest protagonist

May 11, 2019 9:06 PM
Jul 2018
Pretty standard, I like the things other people like, although I'm a lot more open to recommendations, I'm willing to try any genre, I'm a bit hesitant to try Yaoi, but I'm fine with it as long as it's not the main focus

I watch it for fun, a friend recommended me to watch anime and I liked it so I just kept watching, no big goals or anything like that
May 12, 2019 3:42 AM
Feb 2019
For fun sometimes but sometimes i learn from it as well
May 13, 2019 3:30 AM

Jan 2019
I'm watching for fun, but when I start it's already done. oO
May 13, 2019 7:28 AM
Jan 2015
I usually watch anime for fun! Although sometimes it could be for something to focus on and to forget about all my current issues.
May 13, 2019 11:33 AM

May 2018
My taste is quite standard, I like shounen, action, psychological, comedy etc. but there are some yaoi shows in my list, too. That's still not very unique though.
I watch anime just for fun and when I feel like it. It loses it's meaning if I'm trying to watch something by force and because 'I have to'.
May 13, 2019 11:59 AM

Apr 2017
My taste probably ain't that unique, unless you count watching dubbed hentai for laughs. I watch a lot of bottom-of-the-barrel trash hoping to find something funny, weird or shocking, but I also seek out shows that stay with me and keep me thinking after they're over, or just to completely draw me into another world.
May 13, 2019 12:08 PM
Apr 2017
My taste is pretty generic (with a severe soft spot for all things youkai) and I watch anime because I like it and when I feel like watching it. Nothing more than that.
"The problem with defining even an aspect of your personality by something that you like, is that criticism of that product appears to you to be criticism of you personally. I find it to be a very harmful attitude, [...] you can't rationally discuss a product because you've started to define yourself by its very existence."

John Bain
May 13, 2019 12:18 PM
Lewd Depresso

Jul 2008
I watch pretty much everything. Whatever seems interesting and create emotions is good enough for me.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Do you update the rating of anime you've already finished before? Is it an upgrade or downgrade usually?

Rinrinka - Apr 14

29 by animejas »»
18 seconds ago

» What percentage of anime that you've seen did you pirate? ( 1 2 3 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 13

125 by ColourWheel »»
47 seconds ago

» The most beautiful series in visual/artistic aspect? Share your opinion :)

windyshadow - 2 hours ago

12 by Sigma- »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » Which season of Vinland Saga do you guys prefer?

MillerEvans23 - 3 hours ago

20 by Gekko_ua »»
7 minutes ago

» Do you think we should have more realistic anime?

ImNotAnOtaku1 - Apr 14

46 by H-A-M-M-Y »»
17 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.