3.8%
Faster Than 2x
1.2%
3.5x (Late Addition)
1.6%
732 votes
Apr 22, 2019 3:31 PM

Nov 2017
Looking at some people's lists with high numbers of days watched, I often wonder if they are watching at faster than normal playback speeds for the sake of consuming more shows.

Personally, I will only watch something at 1.12 or 1.25 speed if I start to lose interest in it, but want to finish it because I'm a bit of a completionist. For example, I watched the second season of Ajin at 1.25x.

I might also do the same for an easy to process show with say, a lot of flashbacks and recaps, like Naruto or another battle shonen. Anything faster than 1.25 makes the show seem squirrely.
AngryCactusApr 22, 2019 8:42 PM
It's not like I like anime or anything.

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Apr 22, 2019 3:34 PM
Only thing I've ever watched at more than 1x speed was Kara no Kyoukai 8. I got like halfway through it on 1x and then switched to 1.25x.
Apr 22, 2019 3:36 PM

Feb 2010
No and I absolutely don't get how people can do it. It's like watching a different and much worse show in any regards except the bare bones of the plot and if that's the only thing you care about you might as well read it up on wiki. It ruins the animation, timing, pacing, acting, music, dialogue, atmosphere, everything that makes anime or any visual storytelling interesting and fun to watch. If you watch sped up, any opinion you have on the show will be irrelevant too because it's based on a twisted version and not the real thing. I'd rather not watch something at all than speed up my watching because watching a show like that would just feel like a giant waste of time. If I don't have enough patience to watch a show as it is intended, I should just not be watching it.
I probably regret this post by now.
Apr 22, 2019 3:39 PM

Jul 2016
people actually do that??? i just watch a show at a normal pace ... and if i really can't get through it then i just
drop it or put it on hold until i feel like picking it back up again. i just don't get why anyone would do it, because
you're literally changing the viewing experience so it wouldn't even be doing the anime any justice nor do i feel
like you'd be able to enjoy or follow the story as well - though, to each their own i guess.

grouper - no other

0:00 ●━━━━━━─────── 3:46

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ◁ㅤㅤ❚❚ㅤㅤ▷ㅤㅤㅤㅤ↻

⁞⁞⁞ purple cause baal is my wife  ⁞⁞⁞
Apr 22, 2019 3:39 PM

Dec 2012
If it wasn't good enough at normal speed, it wouldn't be worth my time and I'd just drop it and move on to the next thing.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Apr 22, 2019 3:40 PM

Apr 2018
Even if I had to marathon the entirety of Sazae-san, I don't think I would speed up an anime.

Pullman basically explains everything lmao
Apr 22, 2019 3:40 PM

Nov 2017
Mythologically said:
Only thing I've ever watched at more than 1x speed was Kara no Kyoukai 8. I got like halfway through it on 1x and then switched to 1.25x.

I don't blame you, I wasn't a big fan of them apart from the first one.

Apr 22, 2019 3:44 PM
Dec 2013
I once watched a filler arc at 4x speed. I realized there wasn't much point in watching the filler if I was just going to speed through it so I started skipping them after that. That's the only time I ever went above 1x.
Apr 22, 2019 3:44 PM

Nov 2016
I only do that for YouTube videos where I'm solely interested in the content.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 22, 2019 3:45 PM

Dec 2017
I have watched anime at 2x speed only one time before, and that was the 6 last episodes of Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei. I watched episode 21 on my laptop screen and episode 22 on my phone screen at the same time. Thats how fed up i was with that show.

But I don't understand why people would speed up the all the anime that they are watching, it's not a race or anything.
Apr 22, 2019 3:48 PM

Mar 2018
lol, I'm the only one who watches anime with 1.12x speed.
Evangelion is shit
Apr 22, 2019 3:48 PM

Nov 2017
Wesim said:
I once watched a filler arc at 4x speed. I realized there wasn't much point in watching the filler if I was just going to speed through it so I started skipping them after that. That's the only time I ever went above 1x.

Hahaha, is it even "watching" at 4x? That's straight up fast forward speed son.

Apr 22, 2019 3:52 PM
Jan 2012
I genuinely don't understand this. If something is boring enough that I want to skip through it, I'll skip it. If a show has started to bore me then I'm done with it, there are other shows I'm interested in, and watching shows I don't like at speeds they aren't meant to be watched is just gonna make it worse
Apr 22, 2019 3:54 PM

Dec 2018
Never but sometimes I skip ahead a few minutes when an episode is boring. But that usually occurs at a longer series where I don't have the patience to watch every episode properly but I'm still curious.
Apr 22, 2019 3:56 PM

Nov 2017
Cevoy said:
I have watched anime at 2x speed only one time before, and that was the 6 last episodes of Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei. I watched episode 21 on my laptop screen and episode 22 on my phone screen at the same time. Thats how fed up i was with that show.

But I don't understand why people would speed up the all the anime that they are watching, it's not a race or anything.

I got so frustrated with that show, physically angered by it. But I'm surprised, that's the first time I've ever heard of someone watching two episodes at once.

Apr 22, 2019 3:57 PM

Feb 2018
If it's not good enough for you to watch on normal speed just DROP IT .
Apr 22, 2019 3:58 PM

Nov 2017
PsychoEkin said:

I can totally see where you're coming from, don't get me wrong. A lot of shows can seem slow, but I feel like once you make the switch to faster speeds it's hard to switch back.

Apr 22, 2019 4:05 PM

Jan 2015
AngryCactus said:
PsychoEkin said:

I can totally see where you're coming from, don't get me wrong. A lot of shows can seem slow, but I feel like once you make the switch to faster speeds it's hard to switch back.

Haha buddy you need to try watching
https://myanimelist.net/anime/7785/Yojouhan_Shinwa_Taikei

More than 1× speed
It'll make you switch back to 1×

Apr 22, 2019 4:14 PM

Jun 2017
It's wrong to watch by any speed other than 1 but I can't understand what's with this much hate
Pullman said:
No and I absolutely don't get how people can do it. It's like watching a different and much worse show in any regards except the bare bones of the plot and if that's the only thing you care about you might as well read it up on wiki. It ruins the animation, timing, pacing, acting, music, dialogue, atmosphere, everything that makes anime or any visual storytelling interesting and fun to watch.

you won't understand until you try yourself
But seriously those determined just by director, if it's get better "for you" by speeding up still is wrong but won't ruin those elements... Wasn't the main purpose of watching anime to enjoy it? Then if seriously they enjoy it more with speeding up and have more fun with the show, they don't deserve at least this much hate

Also why dialogue?! That means it's always wrong watching the dubbed version of everything
Apr 22, 2019 4:19 PM

Sep 2014
This reminds, the same discussion happened a few years ago and there was even an spped watching club.

I would never do that though, I rather skip entire parts than "waste" my time not really watching it.
A friend of me does this with normal movies and shows though, just skips forward when she doesnt like something or bores her. Mostly the romance drama parts I think. So I guess those people do exist for anime as well.

Pullman said:
No and I absolutely don't get how people can do it. It's like watching a different and much worse show in any regards except the bare bones of the plot and if that's the only thing you care about you might as well read it up on wiki. It ruins the animation, timing, pacing, acting, music, dialogue, atmosphere, everything that makes anime or any visual storytelling interesting and fun to watch. If you watch sped up, any opinion you have on the show will be irrelevant too because it's based on a twisted version and not the real thing. I'd rather not watch something at all than speed up my watching because watching a show like that would just feel like a giant waste of time. If I don't have enough patience to watch a show as it is intended, I should just not be watching it.
I want to give you an upvote for this but I cant.

"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Apr 22, 2019 4:22 PM

May 2015
The only time I've ever done this was once, with the final episode of Boogiepop. I was around 15 minutes in and the characters were having long ass boring conversations, so I thought what the hell and increased the speed because I was honestly getting a bit bored. Didn't really affect much as it was just conversations concluding things and it wasn't too hard to keep up with the subs.

But... I do think its kinda stupid to do it for a whole show. Like, if you can't sit through the entirety of at least one episode of a show then... maybe just don't watch it. Seems like you're forcing yourself to suffer at that point.

♡ artist
サコ
Apr 22, 2019 4:27 PM

May 2014
Nope, why would i want a good anime to end faster? When you start speeding anime up, just drop it. The only anime i could see this being beneficial for is One Piece.
Apr 22, 2019 4:30 PM
Swallowtail

Feb 2014
Uhh, sometimes, if I'm more than half way though the anime and it's really not that great. x)
Apr 22, 2019 4:32 PM

Aug 2016
No. I don't watch at fast speeds because it defeats the purpose of watching and ruins a bunch of things especially audio wise. Also it causes inaccuracies of statistical numbers and I ain't about that life
Apr 22, 2019 4:36 PM

Oct 2015
@Pullman hit the nail on the head. 100% agree with you.
Apr 22, 2019 4:37 PM

Nov 2017
Okay who actually put less than 1x speed, I'm interested in you

Apr 22, 2019 4:51 PM

Feb 2010
mhkr said:
It's wrong to watch by any speed other than 1 but I can't understand what's with this much hate
Pullman said:
No and I absolutely don't get how people can do it. It's like watching a different and much worse show in any regards except the bare bones of the plot and if that's the only thing you care about you might as well read it up on wiki. It ruins the animation, timing, pacing, acting, music, dialogue, atmosphere, everything that makes anime or any visual storytelling interesting and fun to watch.

But seriously those determined just by director, if it's get better "for you" by speeding up still is wrong but won't ruin those elements... Wasn't the main purpose of watching anime to enjoy it? Then if seriously they enjoy it more with speeding up and have more fun with the show, they don't deserve at least this much hate

Also why dialogue?! That means it's always wrong watching the dubbed version of everything

Personally I can't imagine speeding up and ruining all those elements I mentioned could ever increase my enjoyment of anything, it feels like it's just a way to get over with something that you aren't enjoying either way. But if people actually think they enjoy it more like that then by all means they can watch it like that. But they can't expect me to really take their opinions on it seriously as I don't feel like we really watched the same show for the most part. If someone watched a show sped-up and then wants to tell me the pacing or atmosphere was bad or whatever, I'd just laugh at them.

But I don't care how people watch shows in their privacy, I just don't understand it. It's when they think that their opinions on what they saw have any relevance for the rest of us who watched the show as intended that I might get a bit snappy. Because I really don't think they have.

As for the dialogue, there is a lot that goes into it from intonation to timing to emphasis and pauses and a lot of that would get lost or at least much harder to pick up on when you speed up a show. I study linguistics including conversational analysis so I'm probably more tuned to stuff like that than most people but even if you aren't consciously aware of all the elements involved the way you intuitively pick up on stuff based on how things are said often plays a big role. It's not just about the content of what is being said.

And yes, if you watch a dub it's hard to compare your opinion on the dialogue to that of someone who watched the original audio. There's plenty of examples I've come across, sometimes to the point of complete reviews making no sense to someone who saw the original version because they talk about how the 'author created a lesbian SJW wish-fulfilment anime' when it was really only the dub script that gave people that impression (Dragon Maid).

Mind you I'm not saying a dub has to be worse or 'wrong' by default, I'm quite fond of a lot of dubs, but it's undeniable that they provide a slightly (sometimes even very) different experience in terms of the script and voice actors so it's hard to compare those particular aspects of the show. And people having seen two different versions(dubs) might very well end up having different opinions because of it. It could be on some details like a particular scene or dialogue or character, or a big one like with that Dragon Maid review I mentioned.

The difference to speeding up is that you a) still get the full experience of the dialogue at the intended pace instead of a diminished one, just a slightly different one and b) none of the visual or musical or pacing elements of the show are impacted. Watching dubbed shows makes a lot of sense in many cases since there's plenty of reasons to prefer not needing subtitles and you're only 'sacrificing' one or two element of the show (instead of almost all of them) which might not even be worse, just a bit different. It isn't really the same thing at all as far as I'm concerned.

I hope that cleared things up. I don't hate people who regularl do it, I just have a deep lack of understanding for them and would feel weird talking to them about shows since we had very different viewing experiences. I'll just stick to discussing them with people who watched them as intended like I did because I can at least try to relate their opinions to my own viewing experience.
AlcoholicideApr 22, 2019 4:54 PM
Apr 22, 2019 5:10 PM

Nov 2017
Pullman said:
mhkr said:

Personally I can't imagine speeding up and ruining all those elements I mentioned could ever increase my enjoyment of anything, it feels like it's just a way to get over with something that you aren't enjoying either way. But if people actually think they enjoy it more like that then by all means they can watch it like that. But they can't expect me to really take their opinions on it seriously as I don't feel like we really watched the same show for the most part. If someone watched a show sped-up and then wants to tell me the pacing or atmosphere was bad or whatever, I'd just laugh at them.

But I don't care how people watch shows in their privacy, I just don't understand it. It's when they think that their opinions on what they saw have any relevance for the rest of us who watched the show as intended that I might get a bit snappy. Because I really don't think they have.

As for the dialogue, there is a lot that goes into it from intonation to timing to emphasis and pauses and a lot of that would get lost or at least much harder to pick up on when you speed up a show. I study linguistics including conversational analysis so I'm probably more tuned to stuff like that than most people but even if you aren't consciously aware of all the elements involved the way you intuitively pick up on stuff based on how things are said often plays a big role. It's not just about the content of what is being said.

And yes, if you watch a dub it's hard to compare your opinion on the dialogue to that of someone who watched the original audio. There's plenty of examples I've come across, sometimes to the point of complete reviews making no sense to someone who saw the original version because they talk about how the 'author created a lesbian SJW wish-fulfilment anime' when it was really only the dub script that gave people that impression (Dragon Maid).

Mind you I'm not saying a dub has to be worse or 'wrong' by default, I'm quite fond of a lot of dubs, but it's undeniable that they provide a slightly (sometimes even very) different experience in terms of the script and voice actors so it's hard to compare those particular aspects of the show. And people having seen two different versions(dubs) might very well end up having different opinions because of it. It could be on some details like a particular scene or dialogue or character, or a big one like with that Dragon Maid review I mentioned.

The difference to speeding up is that you a) still get the full experience of the dialogue at the intended pace instead of a diminished one, just a slightly different one and b) none of the visual or musical or pacing elements of the show are impacted. Watching dubbed shows makes a lot of sense in many cases since there's plenty of reasons to prefer not needing subtitles and you're only 'sacrificing' one or two element of the show (instead of almost all of them) which might not even be worse, just a bit different. It isn't really the same thing at all as far as I'm concerned.

I hope that cleared things up. I don't hate people who regularl do it, I just have a deep lack of understanding for them and would feel weird talking to them about shows since we had very different viewing experiences. I'll just stick to discussing them with people who watched them as intended like I did because I can at least try to relate their opinions to my own viewing experience.

@Pullman Thanks again for the insight on this topic. If you don't mind, could you elaborate on the Dragon-Maid SJW thing for a bit? It sounds amusing. I'm also curious to what you would say about watching something at an very slight, perhaps unnoticeable change in speed, say .97% or 1.03% speed??

Apr 22, 2019 5:17 PM

Nov 2017
@Stark700 @lanblade I wonder if you two do?

plz @ me
Apr 22, 2019 5:28 PM

Sep 2018
No. This is so strange that even the concept of this hadn't crossed my mind before. Like, this wasn't even a possibility before this thread was made.
Apr 22, 2019 5:31 PM

May 2015
The higher the speed I'm watching anime the worse it is. I mean, I wouldn't want to speed up something I enjoy, but when animation is lackluster, pacing is too slow and just everything is so boring, I start increasing speed until I decide that I had enough and it's time to drop this shit.

But actually 1.5x is still pretty comfortable to watch in most cases.
Apr 22, 2019 5:32 PM

Feb 2010
AngryCactus said:
Pullman said:

@Pullman Thanks again for the insight on this topic. If you don't mind, could you elaborate on the Dragon-Maid SJW thing for a bit? It sounds amusing. I'm also curious to what you would say about watching something at an very slight, perhaps unnoticeable change in speed, say .97% or 1.03% speed??

You can just google and I'm sure you'll find plenty of posts or articles going in-depth about the controversy of that dub. It was frequently mentioned around the community back when it came out, but I've never watched the dub myself since I watch most seasonals before they ever get a dub. I just recently stumbled upon a conversation on someone's profile about that review I mentioned which is why I brought it up. IIRC there's also been a similar controversy about some lines of the Hajimete no Gal dub.

Tho the best example for what I mean is probably the Ghost Stories dub which literally has nothing to do with the original script and changes it into a completely different show.

As for small deviations from standard speed, obviously the less the deviation the less noticable it is and the less difference it makes but it's still not gonna be quite the same so I don't really see the point either way. But it is a different story than watching at 2x speed.
Apr 22, 2019 5:32 PM

Nov 2017
HelloDarkness52 said:
No. This is so strange that even the concept of this hadn't crossed my mind before. Like, this wasn't even a possibility before this thread was made.

I'm glad that I've created a somewhat original thread, but you did notice the lil button for playback speed at some point right?

Apr 22, 2019 5:34 PM

Dec 2017
I'd normally just watch anime at 1x speed, if I started to lose interest partway through an episode I would just skip some seconds ahead in order for me to end the episode faster. If I felt like I missed a key point while skipping, I'll just go back and watch that segment.
Apr 22, 2019 5:35 PM

Feb 2010
HelloDarkness52 said:

That's how I felt when I saw the first thread about it years ago. But I've seen dozens of threads about it since then, although some of them were probably trolls. At this point I think that maybe 5% or so of the community regularly do it to some degree, maybe even more.
Apr 22, 2019 5:35 PM

Sep 2018
AngryCactus said:
HelloDarkness52 said:

I'm glad that I've created a somewhat original thread, but you did notice the lil button for playback speed at some point right?

Of course, I meant more in the sense that I didn't realize that this was a thing that some viewers do.
Apr 22, 2019 5:36 PM

Nov 2017
Pullman said:
AngryCactus said:

You can just google and I'm sure you'll find plenty of posts or articles going in-depth about the controversy of that dub. It was frequently mentioned around the community back when it came out, but I've never watched the dub myself since I watch most seasonals before they ever get a dub. I just recently stumbled upon a conversation on someone's profile about that review I mentioned which is why I brought it up. IIRC there's also been a similar controversy about some lines of the Hajimete no Gal dub.

Tho the best example for what I mean is probably the Ghost Stories dub which literally has nothing to do with the original script and changes it into a completely different show.

As for small deviations from standard speed, obviously the less the deviation the less noticable it is and the less difference it makes but it's still not gonna be quite the same so I don't really see the point either way. But it is a different story than watching at 2x speed.

I don't know a lot about dubs, I've only seen three or four. Do dub scripts sacrifice being faithful to the original script to prioritize matching the frames of the lip flaps?

Apr 22, 2019 5:38 PM

Jun 2015
If I'm unsure about if I want to drop something I might watch an episode on fast forward or skip around to see if anything looks like it will be interesting, otherwise I watch on normal speed.
Apr 22, 2019 5:41 PM

Nov 2017
HelloDarkness52 said:
AngryCactus said:

Of course, I meant more in the sense that I didn't realize that this was a thing that some viewers do.

I figured, I was only jesting. But I usually find that if a way of doing something exists, someone will ultimately do it that way, its just a matter of how many people.

Apr 22, 2019 5:42 PM

Aug 2013
I don't do it with whole episodes but I sometimes will do with boring scenes or with anime that I'm just killing time with and that speeding it won't really make a difference.

Pullman said:
It ruins the animation, timing, pacing, acting, music, dialogue, atmosphere, everything that makes anime or any visual storytelling interesting and fun to watch.

To be fair, a lot of anime doesn't really need to be watched at 2x speed for that.
Apr 22, 2019 5:48 PM

Jan 2017
AngryCactus said:
Looking at some people's lists with high numbers of days watched, I often wonder if they are watching at faster than normal playback speeds for the sake of consuming more shows.

Personally, I will only watch something at 1.12 or 1.25 speed if I start to lose interest in it, but want to finish it because I'm a bit of a completionist. For example, I watched the second season of Ajin at 1.25x.

I might also do the same for an easy to process show with say, a lot of flashbacks and recaps, like Naruto or another battle shonen. Anything faster than 1.25 makes the show seem squirrely.

I mean if you are a goddamn fool, like the majority of the anime community, then yeah I'm sure you'd watch anime at a different speed. I don't because that doesn't sound like a good time ; (
you're cool
Apr 22, 2019 5:49 PM

Apr 2015
Is this a low-key return of the 3.5x gang?
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Apr 22, 2019 5:59 PM

Nov 2017
CatSoul said:

Was there ever such a gang? Were you a member of said gang?

Apr 22, 2019 6:00 PM

Apr 2015
AngryCactus said:
CatSoul said:

There was indeed such a gang. Never joined because I don't watch anime at 3.5x but I was invited.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Apr 22, 2019 6:02 PM

Jan 2018
This sounds like a great way to ruin just about everything about a show. If I'm not enjoying a series I'll just cut my losses and drop it. Speeding it up for the sake of completion just sounds like torture on overdrive.

"I am not sure that I exist, actually. I am all the writers that I have read, all the
people that I have met, all the women that I have loved; all the cities I have visited.
"
― Jorge Luis Borges
[url=]Goodreads[/url] | [url=]Letterboxd[/url]

Apr 22, 2019 6:05 PM
Dec 2013
AngryCactus said:
Wesim said:

Hahaha, is it even "watching" at 4x? That's straight up fast forward speed son.

It's possible but you have to pay really close attention to the subs, and it's pretty much impossible to hear what they're saying at 4x. I don't think I could've done that with a dialogue heavy show. I agree with all of Pullman's points.
Apr 22, 2019 6:08 PM

Nov 2017
CatSoul said:
AngryCactus said:

There was indeed such a gang. Never joined because I don't watch anime at 3.5x but I was invited.

Far out. I mean, I can see myself watching a singular episode of something I'd already seen at ludicrous speed for comedic effect. But nothing other than that. 3.5x is right out

Apr 22, 2019 6:10 PM

Jan 2008
I don't force myself to watch shows I dislike enough to the point I have to watch in a sped up format. The audio alone is basically like listening to that nightcore crap which I detest.
Apr 22, 2019 8:10 PM

Jan 2011
024 said:
@Stark700 @lanblade I wonder if you two do?

I do not, you can fact check me if you want via web archive. I watch a normal amount of anime at a normal rate year after year after year after year. I watch less anime per day than regular people do with TV/netflix. It's just that I've been watching anime a long time, I actually started actively watching anime right around the year you were born. Anime to me is like TV/netflix, does anyone increase the speed with that stuff? Or it is like an anime-only community thing people do?
Apr 22, 2019 8:30 PM
we back

Aug 2015
Please no, not this shit again. 3.5x speed to fast for me.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hentai is the worst anime genre ever created. ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

63 by Rachiba »»
24 seconds ago

» Hottest character from any of your Anime Favorites OR Character Favorites? (profile)

IpreferEcchi - Apr 16

22 by Jonas-K »»
41 seconds ago

» Is there an extension that helps you fully block someone?

APolygons2 - 2 hours ago

14 by APolygons2 »»
11 minutes ago

» Which are the cutest anime girl pout scenes ? (not fan arts but real scenes)

DarkGamerA - Jul 8, 2022

20 by Lhundrup »»
52 minutes ago

» Have you ever felt so satisfied after finishing certain anime that you don't even want its sequel?

Rinrinka - Apr 12

37 by Lockensocke »»
59 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.