Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

Apr 21, 6:43 PM

Hi guys. I would like to get into the Fate series. Any idea on which series I should watch first?

I knew about there's 3 different route but there's too much Fate series out there and I'm getting headache. Help a potato in need boys.

thx
If I don't have to do it, then I won't. If I have to do it, then make it quick.

Apr 21, 6:49 PM
*sips coffee*

Tbh you're probably best off just watching Fate/Zero. The rest of the series is pretty blandly written in comparison, and F/Z stands very well on its own. But basically the order of the main storyline is Fate/Zero as the prequel, and then one of three routes: Fate Stay/Night (adapted by Studio Deen and most agree it was mediocre at best), Unlimited Blade Works, or Heaven's Feel. It's basically like a different outcomes/series of events that might have occurred after Zero.

I personally didn't like UBW, as the exposition was just awful in my eyes, but to each their own. And I haven't seen the Heaven's Feel films yet, but from what I've heard they're pretty good so far, so I might check those out.

As for the rest of the installments, I hear they're just different stories within the same universe. I haven't bothered with those either, as I've yet to hear many good things about them.

But Fate/Zero was really good. It's a little wordy in the first cour, but the second half makes up for that big time.

Apr 21, 6:55 PM

Fate Zero was decent. Definitely don't like it as much as most people but it definitely has stuff worth appreciating.

I really disliked UBW though. Very bland anime overall. The production values felt like putting frosting on a shit cake.

So I'd recommend Fate Zero but not UBW. But if you're a big fan, you should watch both. Fate Zero is a prequel of UBW so UBW spoils the end of Fate Zero. Just a heads up.

Apr 21, 7:07 PM

Not a big Fate fan, but I disagree with people saying you should start with F/Z. It comes before chronologically but it's written with the assumption that you've already watched/played the sequels first. You can watch it first, just like you can watch the star wars prequels first, but a lot of events and characters will lose their significance.

I would watch at least one of the original routes first (UBW is the best one) and go to Zero from there, cause it's the best adaptation so far. You'll have the end of F/Z spoiled though. If you like them then watch the other routes. Leave Grand Order, Garden of Sinners and all other spin-offs for last, if you even want to watch those.

Apr 21, 7:43 PM

There should really be a stickied thread on this somewhere because of how often it gets asked. There might be one in the Fate anime section tbh.

Anyway, Fate/Zero is the prequel. The three main routes in anime form are:

- Fate/Stay Night
- Fate/Unlimited Blade Works
- Fate/Heaven's Feel

My recommendation is to start with Fate/Zero because it is by far the best one, and I would not have gotten as much enjoyment out of it if I had not watched it first because the other ones spoil a lot of things in Fate/Zero. If you prefer not to watch the prequel first, then you should probably start with UBW.

A couple warnings: Stay Night is not made by Ufotable and it is older than the other two and Fate/Zero, so you may notice a significant drop in animation and art quality. Also Heaven's Feel is a series of movies rather than a TV series.

All the other Fate anime are like spin-offs or side stories (Apocrypha, Prisma Ilya, Fate Extra/Last Encore, etc.), and you can probably watch them in any order after you've seen Zero or UBW.

What's the difference?

Apr 22, 1:43 AM
Intree

https://youtu.be/9emhXQtYljw

Don't trust anyone but me, every Fate has value. Fate is part of the grandest fictional universe the human mind has ever conceived.

Apr 22, 2:06 AM

Greyleaf said:

As for the rest of the installments, I hear they're just different stories within the same universe.

Different timelines and universes actually.

Titles I liked from the franchise - Fate/Zero, Carnival Phantasm and Emiya-san Chi no Kyou no Gohan. Also maybe Lord El-Melloi II Sei no Jikenbo will be a good show judging by it's pilot.

Fate/Zero is a good starting point because missing the references to Stay Night is not a big deal and you can get the same surprises watching Stay Night or UBW later.
Another plus is that the tournament and it's rules are way better explained in F/Z.
Modified by alshu, Apr 22, 2:15 AM

Apr 22, 2:16 AM
*sips coffee*

alshu said:
Greyleaf said:

As for the rest of the installments, I hear they're just different stories within the same universe.

Different timelines and universes actually.

Ah, my bad. Yeah I hadn't bothered with any of those series; thanks for the correction.

Apr 22, 2:17 AM

ive never seen the fate series and im not sure if i want to LOL

tbh ive heard the fate series is just a cluster fuck and difficult to watch

i watched this video and just r i p

thats gonna be me istg LOL vv

Apr 22, 2:18 AM

its really simple actually

Fate Zero
Fate UBW

i loved both wholeheartedly
heavens feel is the alternative version of UBW
original fate stay night can be ignored

Apr 22, 2:21 AM

People shit on DEEN version but that's how I started. You can't appreciate how good Fate Zero and UBW is without watching that version first.
My Integrity Knight can't be this fluffy!

Apr 22, 2:24 AM

as always with vn adaptations, you read the vn instead
now this is coming from someone who hasn't even read the vn and has only watched prisma illya, but does that really matter?
Modified by Shiroanon, Apr 22, 2:35 AM

Apr 22, 2:27 AM

Greyleaf said:

Ah, my bad. Yeah I hadn't bothered with any of those series; thanks for the correction.

It's not your fault anyway.

I recommend to you Carnival Phantasm (parody crossover with other Type-Moon titles), Emiya-san Chi no Kyou no Gohan (a cooking show thus hilariously different in tone with Stay Night ) and the Lord El-Melloi II Sei no Jikenbo pilot to see what kind of mage have become Waver.

AnimePixelz said:

i watched this video

You know that Gigguk makes fun even of stuff he likes, right?

KaiserNazrin said:
You can't appreciate how good Fate Zero and UBW is without watching that version first.

Yes you can.
(I did exactly that F/Z first, F/SN Deen version second ect.)
Modified by alshu, Apr 22, 2:33 AM

Apr 22, 2:33 AM
Do not start with fate/zero. It's a prequel and is supposed to be watched/read after Fate/Stay night.

- Fate/Stay Night
- Fate/Heaven's Feel
These are the three routes.

The first route isn't properly animated, so I would recommend you to read the Visual Novel.

The second route, UBW has been adapted by ufotable. It's not animated properly missing out the important monologues of the VN, but it's good enough.

The third route is being made into three movies, with 2 movie already being released. It's a quality adaption, you need to decide if you want to wait for the third movie or just read the VN.

Watch Fate/Zero after reading/watching all the three routes.

Apr 22, 2:34 AM

The golden rule for VN adaptations: read the VN.

Otherwise just watch Fate/zero.

Apr 22, 2:36 AM

Suhas1234 said:
Do not start with fate/zero. It's a prequel and is supposed to be watched/read after Fate/Stay night.

Not really.

You can totally say that about the book by Gen Urobuch...but the anime by ufotable which is adaption of this book was meant to be watched independently and then to continue with the UBW TV series.

Apr 22, 2:38 AM
Nah it totally spoils heaven's feel.

Apr 22, 2:41 AM

Ok, if you wanna get somewhat into the series but not into all the side anime, I recommend:

1st - Unlimited Blade Works seasons 1 and 2
2nd - Zero seasons 1 and 2
3rd - Heavens Feel movies

Then if you wanna delve deeper watch more.

If you just wanna try fate out and don't really wanna invest much time, simply watch fate zero.

Apr 22, 2:44 AM

Suhas1234 said:

- Fate/Stay Night
- Fate/Heaven's Feel
These are the three routes.

The first route isn't properly animated, so I would recommend you to read the Visual Novel.

The second route, UBW has been adapted by ufotable. It's not animated properly missing out the important monologues of the VN, but it's good enough.

The third route is being made into three movies, with 2 movie already being released. It's a quality adaption, you need to decide if you want to wait for the third movie or just read the VN.

Watch Fate/Zero after reading/watching all the three routes.

+1
This is the closest one can get to the visual novel experience. I personally recommend this too.

On the other hand, Ufotable studios released UBW knowing that people would have already seen F/Z, thus the viewing order can also be watched as intended, that is,

F/Z,
F/SN : UBW
and lastly F/S/N : HF

The only thing that will change is that the viewer will deal with a different set of mysteries in either watching orders.
'The version of me that lives within you must be amazing. She can understand everything, even if you don't explain it to her'

Apr 22, 6:39 AM
If you want my two cents about this, here;

-deen/stay night=probably the better introduction to the series as it covers the fat route which is the first route in the vn

-Ulimited bladeworks by ufotable- it covers tge second route and is regarded as the starting point by most. However starting with ubw without watching deenSN is like trying to get into jojo without watch the first two parts

-fate/zero- its more like a spin off prequel than anything,watch this as soon as youre done with UBW , you dont have to watxh it all , but it serves as a bit of backstory to SN

-Heavens feel movies- dont watch em yet , wait until theyre done and binge them

*List of spin offs that are not related but are still pretty good*

Fate/extra last encore- this is completely optional to watch , since its the only anime in the fate/extra universe and its only for peopel who cant or dont want to play the psp game

-fate/kaleid liner prisma illya- take this as less of a spin off , but as a completly different series, it mediocre for tge first two seasons the movie and the 3rd season really start getting somewhere so yeah

Fate/Apocrypha- another spinoff(who wouldve guessed), it starts slow , but holy hell does it get incedible after episode 16, good show, pussy protag at first but he actually gets devolpment and grows as a character, unlike someone else~

Fate/ grand order-play the game, but the anime isnt that bad , decent even, but if youre gonna watch fgo-The first order, do it after watch the 1st heavens feel movie to not get spoilt by the first boss's existence ,or dont , i really dont care about spoilers

CARNIVARU PHANTASMU- watch this after playing tsukihime ( or dont , most people dont anyways)
And after watching Deen stay night, UBW and Zero

TL DR

Fate/stay night 2006 Tv Reproduction by studio deen

Fate stay night ulimited bladeworks 2014 by studio ufotable

Fate/Zero 2012 by studio ufotable

Heavens feel trilogy by studio ufotable

Everything else , optional except for CARNIVARU PHANTASMU due to this show being of utmost importance

Side note-dont watch the movies by Studio deen , theyre paramount to beserk 2016, theyre awful

Sorry for length but hope it helps

Apr 22, 7:22 AM

Oh boy, here we go again.... The fanbase over complicate it for newer fans as no one can decide the best way to watch it. While there are reasons why people say one way or another, mostly because X has a few scenes and references that spoil Y. The series itself really isn't that hard to grasp once you get into it. Don't think too hard about it and just choose one of the orders people have mentioned and start there. The pieces will fall into place much easier once you start watching it, and not worrying over it so much.

If it helps at all, I wrote a blog post a while ago that gives the positives and negatives for the generally most suggested watch orders, as well as which spinoffs are worth watching, if you still need any help deciding. https://myanimelist.net/blog.php?eid=818499

KaiserNazrin said:
People shit on DEEN version but that's how I started. You can't appreciate how good Fate Zero and UBW is without watching that version first.

Totally agree with this, it may have been overshadowed by its betters, but that doesn't mean its not worth seeing.

Apr 22, 7:25 AM

The Fate series has 3 routes..
-Fate
-Unlimited Blade Works
-Heaven's Feel

They all start out the same but they're all different and each route go their seperate ways. Like a parallel/alternate universe.

Fate/stay night (2006) was based mostly on the "Fate" route but they decided to merge up the UBW and Heaven's Feel route on the 2nd half.This is why most VN fans don't recommend that you watch it because it partly spoils the UBW and HF route and the main character is an idiot/sexist. If you don't care about the slight spoilers then I guess you can watch it first as it is a great introduction to the Fate series and great introduction to most of the main characters.

Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV) was based on the 2nd route and this time, it was mostly perfectly adapted by ufotable. If you don't want to watch the 2006 version then you can watch this as this is a great introduction to the Fate series. The problem is the characters are not introduced that well and and are not very developed because they have already assumed that you played the first route in the VN.

Reminder: DO NOT watch the Unlimited Blade Works movie. It's a butchered and very rushed UBW route that was created by Deen. Not ufotable

Fate/Zero is the prequel of all 3 routes in the Fate series. Chronologically, the events happened before the routes happened but it is NOT a great introduction to the Fate series. Fate/Zero is made for viewers who have already seen all 3 routes. Meaning the universe is not introduced perfectly and the mechanics of the Holy Grail War is not explained that well. It also spoils part of Fate route, part of UBW route and most of the Heaven's Feel route. If you're planning to watch the Heaven's Feel movies and you don't want to be spoiled then I don't recommend that you watch F/Z. If you don't care about being spoiled then watch F/Z after you watch UBW.

In order (If you're watching anime version only):
-Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV)
-Fate/Stay Night Heaven’s Feel (Movie[s]. .)
-Fate/Zero

In order (If you don't mind spoilers):
-Fate/stay night (2006)
-Fate Zero
-Fate/Stay Night Heaven’s Feel (Movie[s]. )

In order (If you're reading the VN and watching anime at the same time)
-Fate/stay night VN (Fate route)
-Fate/stay night VN (Heaven's Feel route)
-Fate/Zero

In order (If want to watch the Fate series In “sort of” chronological order and care little about the spoilers at all)
-Fate/Zero
-Fate/stay Night 2006
-Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works (TV)
-Fate/Stay Night Heaven’s Feel (Movie[s]..)

>Written by JC9622. Edited slightly by myself.

Apr 22, 7:32 AM
KaiserNazrin said:

That's only because compared to Deen version, anything half decent "feels" like a masterpiece.

Apr 22, 7:34 AM

Absolutely don't watch Fate/Zero. It retcons and spoils stuff like no tomorrow and doesn't really add anything except some servants for the video games and mobile. Your best bet is to just read the VN.

Apr 22, 7:40 AM
karin23 said:
Hi guys. I would like to get into the Fate series. Any idea on which series I should watch first?

I knew about there's 3 different route but there's too much Fate series out there and I'm getting headache. Help a potato in need boys.

thx

Watch only Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Illya
Drop everything else

Apr 22, 7:55 AM
Forum Moderator
Bot Hunter

Thread moved from Anime Discussion and locked

OP's query has been sufficiently answered. There is nothing left to discuss.
One bright day in the middle of the night, two dead boys got up to fight
Back to back they faced each other, drew their swords and shot each other
A deaf policeman heard the noise and came and killed those two dead boys

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.