Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 21, 2019 9:22 AM

Sep 2018
When you play games, do you prefer minimal background story that kicks you straight into the action? Or a more well fleshed out story that goes alongside the action?

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 21, 2019 10:01 AM
May 2018
It depends on my mood.

Stories do help to give some meaning to the games that I play...
Apr 21, 2019 10:02 AM

Dec 2012
Games with story always end up being my favorites so I'd say yes, I prefer them... but games more focused in action-gameplay are also enjoyable. Depends on my mood.
Apr 21, 2019 10:52 AM

May 2018
Story for sure...dont care about action..
Apr 21, 2019 10:54 AM
Jul 2018
When I play a game I prefer gameplay. I don't mind story though.
Apr 21, 2019 11:53 AM

Nov 2016
I don't really have a preference, I enjoy both if it's pretty good.

Apr 21, 2019 2:10 PM

Nov 2011
A good story is a plus but it's not necessary for a game to be great. Sometimes it's better for the story to just help drive the action. I tend to hate it when games put most of the focus on story and half ass the gameplay (especially since a lotta the time the story isnt even particularly strong on its own).
Apr 21, 2019 5:34 PM

Jan 2017
Story all the way.

Steins;Gate/Chaos;Child/Utawarumono are good examples of this. I just started playing Cold Steel 3 and it's shown me yet again how good video game stories can be.
Apr 21, 2019 6:17 PM
Jul 2018
Cneq said:
Story all the way.

Steins;Gate/Chaos;Child/Utawarumono are good examples of this. I just started playing Cold Steel 3 and it's shown me yet again how good video game stories can be.
But Steins;Gate and Chaos;Child are not games.

Guess that's another debate though.
Apr 21, 2019 6:41 PM

Jan 2017
Aldnox said:
Cneq said:
Story all the way.

But Steins;Gate and Chaos;Child are not games.

Guess that's another debate though.
They're still close enough. More related to games than any other form of media.
Apr 21, 2019 6:48 PM

Sep 2018
_Hatsune said:
Games with story always end up being my favorites so I'd say yes, I prefer them... but games more focused in action-gameplay are also enjoyable. Depends on my mood.

what are some of your favorites in the story-game department? and action?

Cneq said:
Story all the way. Steins;Gate/Chaos;Child/Utawarumono are good examples of this. I just started playing Cold Steel 3 and it's shown me yet again how good video game stories can be.

I played steins gate 0 but not the original(only watched the anime). It was very gripping but I think I prefer a balance of action mechanics to go with the story. :9 it'd be cool if they had a spin off suzuha in ww3 game.

question, does chaos;child compare up to steins gate?

EmperorDemonGava said:
A good story is a plus but it's not necessary for a game to be great. Sometimes it's better for the story to just help drive the action. I tend to hate it when games put most of the focus on story and half ass the gameplay (especially since a lotta the time the story isnt even particularly strong on its own).

DOOM was a great example of this lol, they opt to throw the story out and focus on pure action. Do you know any games with stories you've hated?

I'm designing a video game and I can't decide whether or not I should tightly couple the gameplay into the story.... I feel like my writing comes off too verbose and cheesy having essentially no experience in writing a story... The slogan for my game is something along the lines of "fight like there's no tomorrow". Do you guys think that line is too cheesy??
Apr 21, 2019 6:58 PM

Jan 2017
jesteri said:
_Hatsune said:

Cneq said:
Story all the way. Steins;Gate/Chaos;Child/Utawarumono are good examples of this. I just started playing Cold Steel 3 and it's shown me yet again how good video game stories can be.

I played steins gate 0 but not the original(only watched the anime). It was very gripping but I think I prefer a balance of action mechanics to go with the story. :9 it'd be cool if they had a spin off suzuha in ww3 game.

EmperorDemonGava said:

DOOM was a great example of this lol, they opt to throw the story out and focus on pure action. Do you know any games with stories you've hated?

I'm designing a video game and I can't decide whether or not I should tightly couple the gameplay into the story.... I feel like my writing comes off too verbose and cheesy having essentially no experience in writing a story... The slogan for my game is something along the lines of "fight like there's no tomorrow". Do you guys think that line is too cheesy??
In my honest opinion the Chaos;Child VN surpasses both VN's of Steins;Gate (And that's coming from a massive Steins;Gate fan) I'd highly recommend checking it out
Apr 21, 2019 7:16 PM
May 2012
I like a good story, but I mainly play games for their gameplay.
Apr 21, 2019 7:32 PM

Nov 2011
jesteri said:
_Hatsune said:

Cneq said:

EmperorDemonGava said:

Do you mean as in story driven games I've hated or stories in games I've hated? I played Uncharted 2 recently which is very popular but I found it very tedius to play and the story mediocre. Persona 4 is a game I tried playing where I quit because I found the characters and story more irritating and the gameplay did nothing to make up for it but again that's another unpopular opinion on my part.
Apr 21, 2019 8:16 PM
Apr 2019
Nope, I don't like story related games. But the games with lots of action is my hot favorite.
Apr 21, 2019 10:14 PM
Feb 2017
More story, having nothing but action can get a bit dull if there is no story to go along with. Now if they have both plus a great soundtrack, I'm sold since I love music heavily, especially if it sounds epic and great
Apr 21, 2019 10:25 PM

Sep 2017
it matters what kind of game it is
if it's a game depicting war or something then I prefer a well-written/straightfoward story :))
cod waw ;))
Apr 21, 2019 11:16 PM

Aug 2014
Best of course would be a balanced of both if not then at least good gameplay
Apr 21, 2019 11:26 PM

Nov 2010
I am not very good at games so the more cutscenes, with a good story, the better.
Quit FFXV bc I wasn't into the gameplay & just watched the 'movie' version on Youtube.
Apr 21, 2019 11:40 PM

May 2015
Doesn't really matter as long as it's fun. Monster Hunter and Persona 3 are some of my favorite games, and surprisingly the time I have spent playing Monster Hunter is just about as equivalent as the time I spent playing Persona 3...
Apr 22, 2019 12:23 AM
Jul 2018
RikouFm said:
it matters what kind of game it is
if it's a game depicting war or something then I prefer a well-written/straightfoward story :))
cod waw ;))
Have you played Spec Ops: The Line? If you haven't you might want to check it out. The gameplay's decent but the story is pretty nice.
Apr 22, 2019 12:54 AM

Feb 2017
I think i liked storyline more than gameplay. Even if the game itself has good gameplay but the plot are suck, i probably Will drop it
Apr 22, 2019 5:01 AM

Oct 2018
Good gameplay is essential for a video game. For me it's the most important. If a game has a great story but the gameplay sucks, what good to play it? In this case you can read the story on Wikipedia. Alpha Protocol for example, the story was great, but the gameplay sucked.
Now the other example, Metal Gear Solid V. The gameplay was one of the best in this generation of video games. But the story sucked ass. And still, I enjoy it more than the game with bad gameplay and good story, cause I'm not bored to death while playing.
Now of course the best is a fusion of good gameplay and good story, and these are the very good games. In this generation of games who fall into this category in my opinion are for example The Witcher 3 and Yakuza Zero. But still, if I have to choose I prefer a bad story than bad gameplay.
Apr 22, 2019 7:53 AM

Jan 2018
I prefer both of them, both with story and action, both are really good!
Apr 22, 2019 7:56 AM

Nov 2010
I like both and it really depends on my mood and the genre of game I'm playing.
Apr 22, 2019 8:14 AM

Jul 2015
a video game don't need a good story
it needs a good gameplay / graphic
Apr 22, 2019 8:26 AM

Nov 2009
I think a GOOD game really needs to balance those 2 aspects. Like one of my most fav games is Wizard of Legend, which is an hack and smash game but a lot of the time I wish there was a lot more story to it. The same happened with Moolighter and many others. It becomes annoying if you have to face a game like Warcraft, where there is a LOT of story, this may bring to people to get annoyed by the amount of reading required.

Divinity: Original Sin II is a good example of balance to me, loads of background story but iwith interactive choices and loads of combat.
Apr 22, 2019 11:15 AM

Aug 2009
Obligatory:

I prefer gameplay. ...not so much the dyicks, though.

Apr 22, 2019 1:09 PM

May 2015
I prefer both. Like the guy above me said, it's mostly about gameplay. The story should be decent enough but I really don't care if the game is like Dark Souls or Sekiro.
Apr 22, 2019 11:24 PM

Oct 2018
both, but story drive me to play for what will happen next. That may be the reason why I like Metal gear series so much.
Apr 22, 2019 11:34 PM

May 2016
meh i don't think i really mind i like both i guess as long as i'm enjoying it

。⋆。˚☽˚。⋆。

from the days that i've
lived those i had spent
with you, seemed real

月光
Apr 24, 2019 7:52 AM

Apr 2019
Story gave me the most memories [Trails, Tales, Star Ocean, YS, FF7]
Action gave me the most fun [Dark Souls, Dragon Age, Skyrim]

so both.

Apr 24, 2019 7:56 AM

Jul 2014
A lot of my favourite games tend to have very strong narratives (the MGS franchise, Silent Hill 2 etc) but thin, generic or weak narratives definitely aren't a dealbreaker if the gameplay's top notch.
Take care of yourself

Apr 24, 2019 2:16 PM

Sep 2014
Story doesn't matter in games. If the games has a story then it's better if the story is good, but that doesn't make the game better. Breath of the wild didn't receive game of the year award because of its story.
Apr 24, 2019 2:54 PM
Feb 2014
Imagine being a drone who solely plays GOTY nominees and pressing a grand total of one button for the past four years while playing your increasingly censored moviegames.
Apr 25, 2019 2:27 AM

Jun 2016
Both.

Nier Automata exists.
Apr 25, 2019 2:28 AM

Apr 2013
Story for singleplayer, action for multiplayer.
Apr 25, 2019 3:06 AM

Nov 2017
A good mix of both makes it in general. But also like Gator said. Story is more important for single and action for multi.
𝘠𝘰𝘶 𝘫𝘶𝘴𝘵 𝘥𝘰𝘯'𝘵 𝘨𝘦𝘵 𝘪𝘵 𝘥𝘰 𝘺𝘰𝘶?
𝘐'𝘮 𝘯𝘰𝘵 𝘴𝘵𝘶𝘤𝘬 𝘩𝘦𝘳𝘦 𝘸𝘪𝘵𝘩 𝘺𝘰𝘶.

¡ǝɯ ɥʇᴉʍ ǝɹǝɥ uᴉ ʞɔnʇs ǝɹ,no⅄
Apr 25, 2019 3:31 AM

Apr 2017
A combination of both, but an engaging story is fundamental.
Apr 27, 2019 6:26 PM

Sep 2018
It really depends on the type of game, but a good story is always preferred

Apr 27, 2019 8:51 PM
Feb 2016
It's not always really dependent, but I do appreciate games that have a good deal of mechanical depth at least.

Apr 27, 2019 8:54 PM

Sep 2018
Should be a mix of both, but if it’s more of a multiplayer game better gameplay is mega preferred, but the story just makes it that more engaging. Most of my favorite games tend to be more story driven
Apr 27, 2019 10:16 PM

Jan 2019
In my opinion, I would choose the story because it gives me a reason to continue even if the gameplay becomes repetitive and mindnumbing
"Those who hate themselves,

cannot love or trust others."

Apr 28, 2019 2:57 AM

Sep 2011
Can't I have just both?

But I guess I'd go for story more. Reminds me of Tokyo Xanadu where it has cool actions but the story was so cringe-worthy, to the point I don't want to play it again despite I really love its gameplay.

Apr 28, 2019 4:40 AM

Sep 2018
Action games generally bore me, the type were you can get shot 100 times per level and still not die.

I found the operation flashpoint series really epic, one shot and you are dead. Your mind set totally changes to trying to avoid contact if you can like in real life. I loved the level where you escaped but had no gun so had to get across the island without being seen.

Same goes for racing games where you can crash but still continue, I prefer one crash and you are out.
Apr 28, 2019 4:05 PM

Nov 2011
QPR said:
Action games generally bore me, the type were you can get shot 100 times per level and still not die.

I found the operation flashpoint series really epic, one shot and you are dead. Your mind set totally changes to trying to avoid contact if you can like in real life. I loved the level where you escaped but had no gun so had to get across the island without being seen.

Same goes for racing games where you can crash but still continue, I prefer one crash and you are out.

Sounds like you've mostly been playing the wrong action games.
Apr 29, 2019 12:41 AM

Sep 2018
EmperorDemonGava said:

FPS are all like that, tell me which games don't allow dozens of hits before you die.
Apr 29, 2019 1:39 AM

May 2011
I prefer stories in my games, but if the gameplay is really good and the story isn't, I'll still play.
Apr 29, 2019 3:32 AM

Nov 2011
QPR said:
EmperorDemonGava said:

FPS are all like that, tell me which games don't allow dozens of hits before you die.

Action games are not limited to fps I hope you know that. But try the classics Doom, Duke Nukem, Blood, Shadow Warrior, System shock 1 and 2, Half life, and Deus Ex preferably on highest difficulties. Blood in particular even just on normal difficulty enemies will cut you down very quickly as soon as you give them the chance.
Apr 29, 2019 4:30 AM

Sep 2018
EmperorDemonGava said:

Action games are not limited to fps I hope you know that. But try the classics Doom, Duke Nukem, Blood, Shadow Warrior, System shock 1 and 2, Half life, and Deus Ex preferably on highest difficulties. Blood in particular even just on normal difficulty enemies will cut you down very quickly as soon as you give them the chance.

I enjoyed half life series because the story was great and it wasn't just mindless action which seems to be all the rage these days.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» What's the funnest local multiplayer game with friends.

SnipeStrike - Apr 16

9 by FanofAction »»
2 hours ago

» Gacha Survey

Shizuna - Apr 11

45 by RobertsahDHDA »»
4 hours ago

» Rarest/Coolest gaming related things you own.

SnipeStrike - 6 hours ago

3 by Theo1899 »»
4 hours ago

» What are you playing right now? (v2) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Oct 4, 2020

3503 by DesuMaiden »»
8 hours ago

» What's a hated game that you actually enjoyed?

SnipeStrike - Apr 13

26 by Theo1899 »»
Today, 1:21 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.