Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »
Apr 23, 2019 7:34 PM

Dec 2016
MaahHeim said:
Sabito and Makomo *show up*
Me: They're dead aren't they

*Episode ends*
Me: THEY WERE FUCKING DEAD ALL ALONG AREN'T THEY

Hated it 5/5
Love both the characters, also they are were perfect ship material ugh

Don't worry, we have a superior ship material in the future.
Apr 23, 2019 8:00 PM

Oct 2012
ExaltedChampion said:
MaahHeim said:
Sabito and Makomo *show up*
Me: They're dead aren't they

*Episode ends*
Me: THEY WERE FUCKING DEAD ALL ALONG AREN'T THEY

Hated it 5/5
Love both the characters, also they are were perfect ship material ugh

Don't worry, we have a superior ship material in the future.

Oooh~
That sounds exciting! I'll be waiting for it, thanks
Apr 23, 2019 8:59 PM

Feb 2015
One of my favorite manga is now becoming one of my favorite anime; Ufotable, you are bae.
Apr 23, 2019 10:27 PM

Mar 2015
The demon corps training was a bit underwhelming. I think if they were able to explain the importance of all of the aspects of his training and show how his relationship with Urokodaki developed, it'd be more interesting. Also, I think i'd like this anime a little more if they gave us more information about Tanjirou and his family's past. It's a little hard to get a feel for his character and to empathize with his tough journey in becoming a demon slayer when we don't know much about him.
Despite these little criticisms, I enjoyed this episode and adored Sabito and Makomo
mayaithApr 23, 2019 10:33 PM

"๐˜‹๐˜ฐ ๐˜บ๐˜ฐ๐˜ถ ๐˜ข๐˜ญ๐˜ธ๐˜ข๐˜บ๐˜ด ๐˜ธ๐˜ข๐˜ฏ๐˜ต ๐˜ต๐˜ฐ ๐˜ญ๐˜ช๐˜ท๐˜ฆ ๐˜ฉ๐˜ช๐˜ฅ๐˜ช๐˜ฏ๐˜จ ๐˜ฃ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฉ๐˜ช๐˜ฏ๐˜ฅ ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ฎ๐˜ข๐˜ด๐˜ฌ ๐˜บ๐˜ฐ๐˜ถ ๐˜ฑ๐˜ถ๐˜ต ๐˜ถ๐˜ฑ ๐˜ง๐˜ฐ๐˜ณ ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ด๐˜ข๐˜ฌ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ฐ๐˜ง ๐˜ฐ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ๐˜ณ๐˜ด? ๐˜ ๐˜ฐ๐˜ถ’๐˜ณ๐˜ฆ ๐˜บ๐˜ฐ๐˜ถ, ๐˜ข๐˜ฏ๐˜ฅ ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ๐˜ณ๐˜ฆ’๐˜ด ๐˜ฏ๐˜ฐ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ช๐˜ฏ๐˜จ ๐˜ธ๐˜ณ๐˜ฐ๐˜ฏ๐˜จ ๐˜ธ๐˜ช๐˜ต๐˜ฉ ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ข๐˜ต."

Apr 24, 2019 2:09 AM

Dec 2016
Another average episode in terms of story. Generic training montage stuff happens without any real characterization much less character development. Since the plot doesn't know what to do with Nezuko, she just sleeps the whole time so the MC can go through his training montage uninterrupted - for a year or two. How convenient!

Once again, excessive, awkward voice over internal monologue and narration that detracts from immersion. Worse, it makes the pacing feel rushed as events are skimmed over in a few words of exposition instead of given the screen time they deserve.

Also still getting the random injections of misplaced humor - that would feel less out of place in a slice of life comedy - in otherwise serious scenes in order to keep the attention of modern anime watchers.

The two new characters are ... passable. In that they are the kind of pretentious and/or melodramatic types that you would expect of a shounen anime. The dialog given to Sabito is particularly cringy though - who writes this stuff? Of course, their only narrative purpose in this episode was to advance the MC's character, so whatever.

The highlight of the episode was of course the twist ending, if you could call it that. However, one clever idea does not a story make, and this one is hardly original.

I'm still left wondering what the point of this series is supposed to be. It's not the plot, because it's about as generic and rehashed as they come. It's not the characters, because there isn't much of interest here. Tanjiro trains and gets stronger; not surprising, and necessary given the way the narrative is constructed.

The last half of this episode was just good enough that I'll keep watching, but I've kind of resigned myself that this series will not be able to offer anything truly unexpected or original in future installments.

Kamiyan3991 said:
This "breathing" mechanic is dumb as fuck, if you ask me...

In Claymore, they had to get demon bits transplanted into them in order to gain their superpowers. In this story they just need to breath right and they can cut rocks in half. If only someone had told the Claymores, they could have been saved a lot of trouble!
SSL443Apr 24, 2019 2:18 AM
Apr 24, 2019 10:18 AM

May 2015
SSL443 said:
Another average episode in terms of story. Generic training montage stuff happens without any real characterization much less character development. Since the plot doesn't know what to do with Nezuko, she just sleeps the whole time so the MC can go through his training montage uninterrupted - for a year or two. How convenient!

Once again, excessive, awkward voice over internal monologue and narration that detracts from immersion. Worse, it makes the pacing feel rushed as events are skimmed over in a few words of exposition instead of given the screen time they deserve.

Also still getting the random injections of misplaced humor - that would feel less out of place in a slice of life comedy - in otherwise serious scenes in order to keep the attention of modern anime watchers.

The two new characters are ... passable. In that they are the kind of pretentious and/or melodramatic types that you would expect of a shounen anime. The dialog given to Sabito is particularly cringy though - who writes this stuff? Of course, their only narrative purpose in this episode was to advance the MC's character, so whatever.

The highlight of the episode was of course the twist ending, if you could call it that. However, one clever idea does not a story make, and this one is hardly original.

I'm still left wondering what the point of this series is supposed to be. It's not the plot, because it's about as generic and rehashed as they come. It's not the characters, because there isn't much of interest here. Tanjiro trains and gets stronger; not surprising, and necessary given the way the narrative is constructed.

The last half of this episode was just good enough that I'll keep watching, but I've kind of resigned myself that this series will not be able to offer anything truly unexpected or original in future installments.

Kamiyan3991 said:
This "breathing" mechanic is dumb as fuck, if you ask me...

In Claymore, they had to get demon bits transplanted into them in order to gain their superpowers. In this story they just need to breath right and they can cut rocks in half. If only someone had told the Claymores, they could have been saved a lot of trouble!
Yes it's convenient but nezuko goes to sleep to preserve energy because she hasn't eaten anything and she need to get used to the trasformation in demon.
Actually the inner dialogues in manga works more because it's only images,and the monologues in this ep were the stuff that tanjirou wrote in the diary,infact the chapter titles of this episode are tanjiro's diary.

Sabito and Makomo appears a few times in the future wait for more episodes.

The plot isn't even started,the characters in this shounen are among the best in all shounen i've read,especially tanjirou is my favourite shonen mc ever,he has the best personality i've seen in shounen,always kind and honest,he feels bad about the demons that he kill because he feels their sadness,demons were once humans,he only hate the main villain and few more,the other characters are all very good.

People die in this manga,and the wounded ones even go in coma for months after a great fight,fights are very good because they have good tension and they are unpredictable you never know who will die or win.

there are few jokes but mostly after a big arc during training or rest, or at the begining of an arc before a demon appears,once a fight start it will go for even 20-25 chapters in important arcs.

I suggest you to continue watching this anime because trust me it's a good but very good shounen,in my top 5 along with gashbell,doubutsu no kuni,sengoku youko and magi and tower of god and i am very critical with shounen.
nanashi796Apr 24, 2019 10:29 AM
Apr 24, 2019 10:53 AM

Dec 2016
nanashi796 said:
Yes it's convenient but nezuko goes to sleep to preserve energy because she hasn't eaten anything and she need to get used to the trasformation in demon.

An in-world justification doesn't make it less of a plot convenience. Is it a huge deal? No, but it's still a weakness in the writing and that doesn't bode well.

Actually the inner dialogues in manga works more because it's only images,and the monologues in this ep were the stuff that tanjirou wrote in the diary,infact the chapter titles of this episode are tanjiro's diary.

Sure, and the point of an adaptation is to alter the execution of the story to fit a different medium. In an anime or film, covering too much in monoglogue damages the pacing and immersion.

Sabito and Makomo appears a few times in the future wait for more episodes.

"Wait for more episodes", uh oh. I've heard that one before.

The plot isn't even started,the characters in this shounen are among the best in all shounen i've read,especially tanjirou is my favourite shonen mc ever,he has the best personality i've seen in shounen,always kind and honest,he feels bad about the demons that he kill because he feels their sadness,demons were once humans,he only hate the main villain and few more,the other characters are all very good.

This is one huge sentence. To the point, the plot has absolutely started. Plot is just the events of the story and I'm pretty sure the three episodes that we've had so far constitute story, or at least "events". If what you say is true, though, that leaves the question as to why it is even in the anime, if it isn't actually part of the "plot".

People die in this manga,and the wounded ones even go in coma for months after a great fight,fights are very good because they have good tension and they are unpredictable you never know who will die or win.

We'll see. This episode was pretty predictable.

Apr 24, 2019 3:33 PM
May 2013
apparently spirits/ghosts can physically manifest considering one of them kicked mc in the face and sparred with him. interesting.
Apr 24, 2019 5:06 PM

Apr 2018
Good Animations and OST. Really enjoyed the ep finally we can see Tanjirou becoming stronger. Sabitou vs Tanjirou was great and he finally sliced the boulder!
Apr 25, 2019 3:45 AM

Jun 2014
Wow the adaptation is amazing so far. I got really emotional ;_;
:3
Apr 25, 2019 6:10 AM

Apr 2018
ttcchen said:
The way Sabito smiled at the end was so heart wrenching. It's painful. A very sad smile.
I do wonder how it's possible to cut the mask and the rock but not the human in between?
they're already dead, both of them.
Apr 25, 2019 10:30 AM

Sep 2018
Ok it goes the generic Shounen way by introducing new Characters as plot devices (at least so far) and by having a training episode,animation and sound was great tho

Something generic can turn out pretty good we just have to see if it actually uses the tropes or will just have them for sake of "oh yea why not"

Still dont know how to feel about the show to be honest
Apr 25, 2019 11:42 AM

Apr 2015
HONESTLY, I'm obsessed with this already. I might actually read the manga.
Can't wait for the next episode.
Apr 25, 2019 2:29 PM

Jan 2013
This may be the blandest anime I've seen in a while actually rated decently. I know that that Spring is slow but holy hell why do people enjoy such a tasteless, cliche anime?
Apr 25, 2019 6:50 PM

Aug 2017
What is this? This episode is much better that the second.

The only issue is the pacing. It went from 10% to 100% so quickly xd.

All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Apr 25, 2019 9:13 PM

Oct 2008
Another spectacular episode! not much to say but it was greatly done when Tanjirou was able to cut down that boulder!
Nezuko in deep slumber? i wonder is there's an explanation to that? maybe vampire like attributes?
5/5.

Apr 26, 2019 3:28 AM

Oct 2018
As usual great animation, i love the combat choreography, but the plot feels a little bit rushed and boring. And its actually stray far away from my expectation, with how they presented the first episode i expect this anime to be a little bit dark and gritty but its actually more bright and lighthearted. but nothing wrong with that.

Hopefully they can maintain the quality of the animation.

3/5
Apr 26, 2019 6:17 AM

Dec 2013
A decent training episode. Nice to see that he finally cut that damn rock.
Apr 26, 2019 1:57 PM
Apr 2016
TitaniaErza105 said:

can someone who reads the manga just tell me if the time goes by that fast as well? Like
6 months and than puf 6 more months

It's actually a bit faster in the manga; 2 whole year passed in the space of 2 chapters. If anything, the anime expands on the training.
Apr 27, 2019 9:38 AM

Mar 2016
Great storytelling.
Lie until what you want to be true becomes truth. Lie until you can't remember what's a lie and what isn't.  Lie until you aren't lying anymore!
Figures
Apr 27, 2019 2:44 PM

Jul 2008
Damn two years to get this stuff down....he spent too much time whining.
Apr 27, 2019 6:38 PM

Sep 2018
The ending made it look like sabito and makomo weren't 'real' I mean sort of as apparitions or something idk.
The comedy is a bit weird at times though it's not bad-weird. I actually liked some comedy parts.

And is that breathing technique a Jojo ref? XD
Apr 27, 2019 6:45 PM

Jan 2017
The first two episodes of Kimestu no Yaiba were amazing and episode three provided even more greatness. The training episode was masterfully done and by the time the ED started I felt like I had only been watching for a few minutes. Thats the sign of truly great content!
Apr 27, 2019 7:19 PM

Feb 2018
I really liked this training arc episode. Tanjirou is really willing to push himself to his breaking point and beyond to save his sister. Crazy it took him like 2 years to get it though, but those techniques seem pretty serious. I only wish they made him more muscular or something to show the progress he made.

Sabito and Makomo were really cool, Makomo's voice was really cute. I figured maybe Urokodaki sent them to help Tanjirou, until Sabito disappeared and he saw that he cut the boulder.

I thought the "scent of the thread" thing was pretty cool, it seems his training has given him the ability to sense things he couldn't before. I'm interested to see how his powers will progress.
Apr 30, 2019 8:04 PM
Sep 2018
What druggs he used ?
Apr 30, 2019 11:10 PM
Oct 2007
I've nothing but praises for this episode once again. The pacing is on point, neither fast nor slow. Despite the inner monologues, my butt was stick to the edge of my chair the whole time. This series is way better than Tales of Zestiria, which is one of the rarer series that I didn't like coming out from ufotable.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 1, 2019 5:08 AM

Aug 2013
VERY good episode, it surely is breathtaking and the animation is gorgegous.

Hyped for the next episode!!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 1, 2019 8:48 PM

Jan 2013
Great training!
Can't believe he spent 2 whole years training.
I wonder why his sister is still sleeping.
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

May 4, 2019 3:44 PM
Apr 2019
Leo said:
A great episode.

Tanjirou's is continuing with his training and it is getting harder.

I was happy that he was able to slice that boulder.

bro this wasn't no great episode, literally nothing happened and nezuko just slept for 2 years
May 9, 2019 6:50 PM

Apr 2011
Crontroled breathing? It's Zeppeli behind the mask ! ! !
May 12, 2019 11:22 PM

May 2015
Why are the girls in this anime so damn cute?
lol tbh Ufotable makes everyone look beautiful
May 14, 2019 3:14 PM

Jul 2016
An ok episode, not much
May 14, 2019 11:04 PM
May 2019
Good animation but it's boring so far, is it worth it if continue this anime?
May 16, 2019 6:50 AM
EOussama

Dec 2016
Wow, this was a fantastic climatic episode, felt very fast and accomplished. I'm at least glad that the main character didn't end up cutting the boulder on his first week of trial. You can tell how strong he's become.
Very interesting how nobody knows who's leading the demon slayer organization, it could turn out to be a very twisted turn at the end.
Very weird from those two faces who Tanjirou became very adapted with the past six months, they gave me some ghost vibes.
May 21, 2019 2:13 PM

Sep 2014
This is where I drop out. It was very interesting at first, but now the forced comedy got really annoying. This kind of stuff remaves all the impact the serious and grim first episode had. This should get the comedy genre/tag. Its not just some little jokes here and there. Its everywhere. Even cartoon running over a cliff thing needed to be here. Its a shame for me to see this rated to highly.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
May 23, 2019 5:19 AM

Jun 2012
That was a terrible way to thrown in two years of "development", but hopefully they got it all over with in just this one episode.

First episode was great, really felt the desperation and pain. Then jumped straight into loose bits of comedy and a generic shounen atmosphere. I'll continue for the animation, but I don't think this series will get my hopes high as easily again.

Jun 2, 2019 1:06 AM
Mar 2016
Awful dialogues and comedy.
Such a disappointment so far. If the only good thing about a show is production values then something is fucking wrong. Nothing special so far just another overhyped shounen shit...but i really want it to improve as it goes on.
Jun 4, 2019 7:16 PM

May 2013
A 2nd short training ep. More entertaining than previous tho (:

His attempts were quite humorous lol
Jun 7, 2019 5:35 AM

Feb 2013
Sabito and Makomo were real or not?
Interesting training arc.
Jun 10, 2019 7:41 AM

Oct 2013
The superb animation and OST go without saying, of course.

But man, this series has shifted radically in tone since episode 1. Where episode 1 was dark and somber with meaningful monologues, it has since been replaced with quirky training shenanigans. I suspect this show will end up being much more traditionally shounen than I expected at the end of the first episode.

And them random ass time skips used fully to emphasize how long MC has been training are lol.

โ˜ฉ Discord: the.path.to.pathos
โ˜ฉ RateYourMusic
โ˜ฉ last.fm
Jun 11, 2019 6:01 AM

Jan 2011
Always loved the scene of Sabito's smile. It just says it all.
Jun 26, 2019 4:59 AM
Mar 2019
Someone can explain how did he broke the boulder?
Jun 27, 2019 12:40 AM
Jan 2018
Hongu said:
This show has a big show-don't-tell problem. It makes sense in the episode since he's writing a journal, but a lot of the information narrated to us could've easily just been shown instead of said. It might've worked in the manga but in anime format it just comes across as awkward.
The spar between Tanjiro and the fox guy was really well-animated, and I like the sense of progression that's going on. Hard to believe it's only adapting two chapters, feels like so much has happened in such a short amount of time.

Apprently show don't tell isn't a writing rule in Japan

And found out that It's predominantly a US-exclusive thing, because of the Iowa State Writing Workshop from the 30s and 40s, which was a CIA plot to stop writers from writing about Marxism.
Mattinator95Jun 27, 2019 12:43 AM
Jun 29, 2019 12:36 PM

Apr 2009
Maybe she's just hibernating? She wasn't eating anyway so maybe an energy conservation program kicked in on her demon body.

It took 2 years. In terms of shounen anime level up training that's actually average because if it took longer this'll be a seinen anime. LOL

You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Jul 16, 2019 8:17 AM

Feb 2017
Training lasted longer than I thought it would. And Nzuko sleeping for so long, I wonder why.

I thought that there would be some sort of trick to slicing that boulder, but in end it turned out to be just him simply slicing it.
Jul 20, 2019 9:44 PM

Sep 2016
dope episode the fight scene was pretty awesome to see
Facta Non Verba
Jul 24, 2019 7:49 AM

Jul 2013
Damn two years of training, at least it only took 1 episode lol and not once did Urokodaki shown his face
Aug 3, 2019 12:35 PM
Jun 2019
"That's not what you call a man"

Oh please. Get that prehistoric way of thinking out of my face.

Now replace the word "man" with "warrior" or "demonslayer" then it is an acceptable phrasing. Not all men are destined to fight you know, this is a form of sexism.
Aug 3, 2019 11:50 PM
Jul 2018
Training episode. Not bad, an year and a half passed, but now Tanjirou is stronger.
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kimetsu no Yaiba Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 18, 2019

312 by CicadaRex »»
Yesterday, 12:21 PM

» I don't get it

n0tSamir - Jul 7, 2023

34 by guts4ever »»
Apr 22, 12:44 PM

» Gurenge becomes top selling digital single song in Reiwa era

FZREMAKE - Apr 15

19 by Naveen6662246 »»
Apr 22, 11:46 AM

Poll: » Kimetsu no Yaiba Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 27, 2019

272 by CicadaRex »»
Apr 20, 4:20 AM

Poll: » Kimetsu no Yaiba Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 13, 2019

316 by CicadaRex »»
Apr 18, 12:11 PM
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.