Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 19, 2019 11:12 PM

Jul 2016
You have a sense of duty to help grow/contribute to it in some way?

Point users in the direction of under appreciated anime, give supplementary information about them that the database doesn't provide so people can make better informed choices, or any other content that MAL will always get first.
Apr 19, 2019 11:45 PM
Jul 2018
I'm here to subtly dismantle things one post at a time
Apr 20, 2019 12:02 AM

Oct 2012
The fuck? I remember when a MAL mod went to my university's anime club Facebook page to spam and ask us to contribute to anime summaries. That might've been an idea if it was a community website, but MAL is a for-profit organization. Anyone who spends time managing it for free is a bona fide dumbass (no offense, buuuut...) -- sorry, mods! Why would anyone feel territorial about a site when all they see are ads on the left, right, top, middle and bottom when they log on? It's like a big "TOOL" sticker on their forehead advertising their free work. You've got a better case if you offered to sweep Google's headquarters entrance and clean their bathrooms because you bought one GOOG stock -- at least you own one stock. How many reviews or summaries do you have to write to own one MAL stock? None, cause they ain't selling that shit.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Apr 20, 2019 12:10 AM
Dec 2010
katsucats said:
The fuck? I remember when a MAL mod went to my university's anime club Facebook page to spam and ask us to contribute to anime summaries. That might've been an idea if it was a community website, but MAL is a for-profit organization. Anyone who spends time managing it for free is a bona fide dumbass (no offense, buuuut...) -- sorry, mods! Why would anyone feel territorial about a site when all they see are ads on the left, right, top, middle and bottom when they log on? It's like a big "TOOL" sticker on their forehead advertising their free work. You've got a better case if you offered to sweep Google's headquarters entrance and clean their bathrooms because you bought one GOOG stock -- at least you own one stock. How many reviews or summaries do you have to write to own one MAL stock? None, cause they ain't selling that shit.

Woah, Pragmatic. I like that outlook you got there.

Someone believe I hv Fantasy Prone Personality, in short, FPP.
So I decided to live up to it, Yay!
Apr 20, 2019 12:13 AM
Dec 2010
And I don't see the point of helping MAL out, I don't even make friends here for almost 10 years. Why will I care about the site and its communities when it is this cold out here.
Apr 20, 2019 12:15 AM

Mar 2018
Yeah I got a tattoo of the logo right above my ass crack
Help stop the spread of Korean propaganda (KPrOP) and sign this petition!
http://chng.it/Yw8Vzwk4Tg
Apr 20, 2019 12:19 AM
osmamthus wine

May 2014
Nah

I like some of the people on MAL, and I prefer its database/layout over other websites, but I don't feel a lot of loyalty to the website itself

Apr 20, 2019 12:35 AM

Sep 2018
I was going to say "yes" after reading the title, but "no" after reading the clarification in the OP.

The only sense of loyalty I have to this site, is that I prefer its layout and such as opposed to other anime databases, and getting me to use anything else would be like pulling teeth. That's it, really.
♪ MAL card collector and anime challenge enjoyer
♫ My alignment is Chaotic Stupid™

Anime Challenges
Card Collection
DELIVER HERE!
Apr 20, 2019 1:14 AM

Jan 2009
You have a sense of duty to help grow/contribute to it in some way?
No, I don't. But I wouldn't mind becoming a MAL Supporter if they supported debit cards as payment.

Other than that, I'll presumably continue to stay here for quite some while

BrightFlashLight said:
And I don't see the point of helping MAL out, I don't even make friends here for almost 10 years. Why will I care about the site and its communities when it is this cold out here.
You do seem to have "friends" on your list and people you have written to, but if you mean more meaningful relationships, then that is more difficult.
Apr 20, 2019 2:15 AM

Feb 2015
It's the only website I use for anime, but I wouldn't label myself as a loyalist. I just like the forums here.
Apr 20, 2019 2:32 AM
Dec 2010
Noboru said:

BrightFlashLight said:
You do seem to have "friends" on your list and people you have written to, but if you mean more meaningful relationships, then that is more difficult.

Those are just mere acquiantances. Of course, friends require multiple conversations at many intervals over the time. I don't simply think we are friends because I talked to some guy once or twice. The friend list is just a list to bookmark people. It doesn't help at all that most conversations die after one or two sessions. Friends on your friend list are pretty much a showroom to how many people you have added. That's it.

Apr 20, 2019 2:34 AM
Jul 2018
I prefer AniList to MAL in multiple aspects, and the other way around as well, so nope.
Apr 20, 2019 2:40 AM

Jan 2009
BrightFlashLight said:
Those are just mere acquiantances. Of course, friends require multiple conversations at many intervals over the time. I don't simply think we are friends because I talked to some guy once or twice. The friend list is just a list to bookmark people. It doesn't help at all that most conversations die after one or two sessions. Friends on your friend list are pretty much a showroom to how many people you have added. That's it.
I feel similar and have been having similar problems. Out of the 180+ "friends" I have, pretty much only like one or two dozen have been targeted requests, rather than just random ones. Don't mind being bookmarked for as long as I find the person to be a legit user. And only less than a handful are people I would consider good acquaintances with whom I could talk even after several months.
Apr 20, 2019 2:44 AM

Jun 2015
There are some parts of this website that I absolutely despise, like the 30 character rule, or most forum mods, but even with that I've been using mal for so long it would be hard to not feel at least a little loyal. For example, when I find out someone I know from somewhere else has a MAL, I get a little warm inside. I don't love what's happened to the site, but I don't want it to die is what I think I'm trying to say.
Apr 20, 2019 3:07 AM

Jan 2009
xaow said:
I don't love what's happened to the site, but I don't want it to die is what I think I'm trying to say.
I'm not too fond with some of the changes either, but I've felt the same about finding out that other people also have an account here. Though it doesn't happen any longer, because I don't frequent any other forums, nowadays. Anyway, please keep on posting, since I find your postings interesting.
Apr 20, 2019 3:20 AM
Dec 2010
Noboru said:
BrightFlashLight said:
I feel similar and have been having similar problems. Out of the 180+ "friends" I have, pretty much only like one or two dozen have been targeted requests, rather than just random ones. Don't mind being bookmarked for as long as I find the person to be a legit user. And only less than a handful are people I would consider good acquaintances with whom I could talk even after several months.

To be honest, I pretty much given up. There is no real activity tying up the conversations here. It's pretty much just watching and commenting on anime, the main baseline of this site. I already find it hard to see users here as real people. I went from posting normal remarks to going absolute cracked up nonsense just to get attention. People seem to be very passive on this site, and rarely initiate a conversation. Those who do initiate often are guaranteed to be strange as the audiences are a wide sort and it's hard to see common conversations get going with someone with no info written. Expect weird and strange fantasies to attention seeking comments and posts. It's that sort of things that everyone can relate to having a mind for. It's also what keeps most conversations going longer. At this point, trying to be a hateful incel might get you more conversations than making a friend. Everyone will be quick to rebut.
Apr 20, 2019 3:32 AM

Jan 2009
@BrightFlashLight: I can relate to your sentiment. One user had (or maybe still has) a signature in which it says that it's easier to make friends by being interested in other people than to make friends by making other people being interested in you. I can agree with that phrase, though it would be more accurate to say that it's easier to make at least good acquaintances by being interested in other people.

I've made the habit to quote/mention at least one person in most threads, but that required me having had at least some interest in what they wrote. If I had just posted for myself, I wouldn't have had that many conversations with people. But after a certain while, it's hard to keep the interest in others (especially when the interest isn't returned) and it becomes harder to (re-)initiate conversations like with seasonal greetings or something.
Apr 20, 2019 4:20 AM

Jan 2009
nah i never contributed directly on the database and just post news (anime/manga/world news)
Apr 20, 2019 4:24 AM

Jan 2009
deg said:
nah i never contributed directly on the database and just post news (anime/manga/world news)
You have contributed greatly with creating threads and being active on forums even after all these years
Apr 20, 2019 4:43 AM

Jan 2009
Noboru said:
deg said:
You have contributed greatly with creating threads and being active on forums even after all these years

if that is considered a contribution then ok and the same could be said to you too
Apr 20, 2019 5:07 AM

Jan 2009
deg said:
if that is considered a contribution then ok and the same could be said to you too
It's acting as one of the features to keep people interested in visiting this site, thus generating more clicks. Thanks, though I've been by far not as active as you :)
Apr 20, 2019 5:22 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Nah, fuck MAL, the only part of it I'm loyal or patriotic towards is my club. I don't care if that contributes to it in some way, but it's not the intent whatsoever.

Apr 20, 2019 5:52 AM

Jul 2015
I'm using MAL because of its functionality, not because I get a raging boner every time I think of the paradise that our glorious overlords have built for us here. Hail Xinil and his infinite wisdom! The will of the mods shall be done. We will drive the heretics away that still use any other site than glorious MAL and we will help MAL grow, as is our duty.
Nobody shall stands before us and question our might.
MAL is forever our home and refuge.

Nah.
"my life at this state could be transposed into a pretty massive biography"

- Cneq, "the guy who was literally using BTC in 2012 to make deals in the first main instance of a digital itemized economy forming naturally in all human history (also the precursor of NFTs) and who had 20k+ total trades.", 23 years old

MAL's most prolific antivaxxer, Noboru.
Apr 20, 2019 5:54 AM

Oct 2010
I guess so. I didn't leave during any of the great migrations, and despite hating this place I always end up coming back.

MAL is that bad ex you keep taking back.
Apr 20, 2019 6:05 AM
Dec 2010
Noboru said:
@BrightFlashLight: I can relate to your sentiment. One user had (or maybe still has) a signature in which it says that it's easier to make friends by being interested in other people than to make friends by making other people being interested in you. I can agree with that phrase, though it would be more accurate to say that it's easier to make at least good acquaintances by being interested in other people.

I've made the habit to quote/mention at least one person in most threads, but that required me having had at least some interest in what they wrote. If I had just posted for myself, I wouldn't have had that many conversations with people. But after a certain while, it's hard to keep the interest in others (especially when the interest isn't returned) and it becomes harder to (re-)initiate conversations like with seasonal greetings or something.

I can try the quoting but it really depends on the content of the posts and whether I get to reply quick enough.

Although I think building friends require both parties to be interested in what each other has to offer in order for it to be successful. I don't think you being interested necessarily means that the other party will be interested in you. I doubt it's any easier because being interested in what each other has to say is like pretty basic line to establishing any meaningful conversation. At some point, the other party has to ask you about your opinions or discussions will fall to a stop here. I think people tend to start a personal conversation with somebody else in mind as it's quite narcistic and will get ignored if you just only mention about yourself. It's not like a forum topic where one could post on their own opinions of the subject other people have made about themselves.
Apr 20, 2019 6:29 AM

Jan 2009
BrightFlashLight said:
I can try the quoting but it really depends on the content of the posts and whether I get to reply quick enough.
Do that as long as there is still enough activity on the forums.

BrightFlashLight said:
Although I think building friends require both parties to be interested in what each other has to offer in order for it to be successful.
I mostly agree with you. It's true that it doesn't necessarily mean that someone will get interested in me just because I'm interested in them, but it can act as a means to make others interested in oneself. At the very least, I'm getting more interested in people, who show interest in me. Yes, having mutual interest is the base line, but someone has to do the first step. And waiting for others to make the first step doesn't work that well when you are not biologically female (or respectively: make others seriously believe that even if you aren't) and/or give off a very out-going impression.

Though to be honest, at one point or other, it gets tiresome to do the first step all the time only to be left hanging at some point or other (with very rare exceptions)

And yes, since one doesn't want to come off as too self-centered, it's smarter to not only focus on yourself, but also on the other person
Apr 20, 2019 6:41 AM

Oct 2017
MAL isn't my 'buddy' or yours. It's a for profit business. I don't even understand why anyone would feel like it's their duty and/or obligation to contribute unless they were getting paid to do so.

I equally do not understand the notion of being 'loyal' to a business. You provide me a service that I want, I pay for that service in one way or another. If someone offers me said service but of higher quality and/or for a better price, then I will use their service instead. That's my general outlook on it, no matter the industry.
Apr 20, 2019 7:24 AM

Jul 2016
Sleepy_Yoshi said:
I don't even understand why anyone would feel like it's their duty and/or obligation to contribute unless they were getting paid to do so.

A desire for recognition by the masses on the most popular anime site.

If someone offers me said service but of higher quality and/or for a better price, then I will use their service instead.

There's value in focusing on one site for reason number one.

There's a natural incentive for attention seekers to invest in one site.
Apr 20, 2019 7:33 AM

Feb 2016
No. I am loyal only to my sovereign and to my country... and perhaps my cats. But that is it!
--- + ---
"Random quotes in signatures are like friends. Everyone seems to have them, except me."
Sun Tzu, probably

Apr 20, 2019 8:04 AM

Nov 2017
Naw, I don't feel any of that crap. I contribute with my scintillating brilliance und beautiful smile. But that's how it is with every site I'm a member of. My presence is the best present I can present y'know.

Quick edit: Also, I love my friends on here
Apr 20, 2019 12:44 PM
Jul 2018
I'm only loyal to myself and things that I like to do. Also, the word "Patriotism" is not in my dictionary for many reasons.
removed-userApr 20, 2019 2:25 PM
Apr 20, 2019 1:02 PM

Feb 2010
no, but im more familiar with people on this site then others soooo.
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Apr 20, 2019 1:12 PM

Dec 2017
I am not loyal to anything lol. MAL just seems like a place where people know something else than DB, naruto or one piece so it is good to talk about anime sometimes.

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

Apr 20, 2019 1:41 PM

Aug 2014
I don't feel a sense of duty toward MAL...but I am loyal to some of the friends I made here.

I do discuss anime with other members and recommend things from time to time...but it seems most of us do that.

When the site MALfunctioned (har har) last year and was fully or partially down for months, I didn't join another anime community; instead, I spent my time talking on Discord to my MAL buddies, as well as tracking down contact info for those I didn't have on there.
Apr 20, 2019 2:21 PM
Aug 2016
Not really. I'm here mostly to talk with people, to update my lists, to post on the forums, to post in the clubs, to get cards and to make my profile look pretty, and that's kinda all.
Apr 20, 2019 2:35 PM
Feb 2017
I would say I'm loyal in some ways, but not in the ways you make it seem. I can show users the ropes and point them to places, along with only using this site for my entries but that's about it. I'm not a MAL supporter because I think all the capabilities that you have without it are good.
Apr 20, 2019 3:25 PM

Dec 2016
Yes, and I would gladly die fighting in the service of our MAL overlords. Nothing would be more satisfying for me than vanquishing MAL's enemies and hoisting our banner to the heavens!

What's the difference?
Apr 20, 2019 6:51 PM

Jun 2016
If MAL were a country I'd already have a criminal rap sheet a mile long
Apr 20, 2019 7:22 PM

Sep 2018
Sort of, I just like using mal as a way to talk to people and keep track of my anime

Apr 20, 2019 11:00 PM
YouTuber / VA

Aug 2017
I just use it because it's the by far the most used site for keeping a list of the anime you've watched. If some other site passed them and also does a much better job running their site I'd be totally fine with moving my list there instead.
Apr 21, 2019 8:04 AM

Oct 2010
The database is very big and I use to list anime and manga but I can't help mal in anything because the mods don't like my submitted pics and characters. Some users here are nice to talk to.
Apr 21, 2019 9:55 AM

Apr 2019
I'm loyal and patriotic to the United States of America, not to some random anime website.
Apr 21, 2019 3:21 PM

Jul 2016
Catalano said:
The database is very big and I use to list anime and manga but I can't help mal in anything because the mods don't like my submitted pics and characters. Some users here are nice to talk to.

I wasn't talking about database submissions. I was talking about guiding users in need.
Apr 21, 2019 11:30 PM

Oct 2010
@Ipreferecchi ah, ok. I give recommendations if someone asks me, that's about it.

More topics from this board

» What do you think about online friendship?

Mehwish_999 - Apr 21

41 by ShimmyShimmur »»
1 hour ago

» 2023-2024 NBA Season Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

deg - Jun 18, 2023

668 by Hitagi__Furude »»
2 hours ago

» (Personality) Try to paste 3 different statements that matter to you

IpreferEcchi - Yesterday

14 by R-unknown »»
2 hours ago

» Do you enjoy nature?

Kamikaze_404 - Today

23 by Rhaelynne »»
3 hours ago

» I got spooked by a water bottle

tsukareru - 10 hours ago

11 by Adverrito »»
4 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.