Forum Settings
Forums
Apr 18, 1:36 PM
I would like MyAnimeList to add 'solo leveling' to the list of manga's/manhwa I can't believe its not in there.

Apr 18, 2:19 PM
Forum Moderator
Bot Hunter

Thread moved from Manga Discussion
One bright day in the middle of the night, two dead boys got up to fight
Back to back they faced each other, drew their swords and shot each other
A deaf policeman heard the noise and came and killed those two dead boys

Apr 18, 2:51 PM
No-Star

Method of Distribution guidelines.

I.2.1 Manga (incl. Manhwa/Manhua) - Printed
Series and collections/anthologies published in printed magazines and/or volumes.

I.2.8 Webcomics/Webtoons
Comics distributed via independent digital platforms (e.g. pixiv, Naver) or online retailers (e.g. Amazon, ebookjapan) which are later distributed in print by a reputable publishing company in the country of origin.

I think you'll have to wait!

Apr 25, 4:06 AM
zagzee said:
Method of Distribution guidelines.

I.2.1 Manga (incl. Manhwa/Manhua) - Printed
Series and collections/anthologies published in printed magazines and/or volumes.

I.2.8 Webcomics/Webtoons
Comics distributed via independent digital platforms (e.g. pixiv, Naver) or online retailers (e.g. Amazon, ebookjapan) which are later distributed in print by a reputable publishing company in the country of origin.

I think you'll have to wait!

Is there any chance to change this guideline? I don't see the point.

Apr 25, 6:11 AM
Cladocera said:
Memono said:
Is there any chance to change this guideline? I don't see the point.
The guidelines has been changed/expanded many times since its creation (it just has been expanded recently) and will surely be changed again in the future, but that doesn't guarantee all webtoon/webcomic/manhwa/manhua will be allowed.

The point you ask? This is just from my perspective:
1. You need to draw a line somewhere in oder to keep the db consistent. Since most of the webtoon/webcomic are distributed on the same online service without costing anything. If you accept one, you must accept them all, no exception. Now that wouldn't be a problem if the creators act resposible with their works. But as mentioned, it's easy and free, that means anyone (anyone from a person with passionate to a kid who does things on a whim) can upload their "drawing" and call themselves "artist". You can't expect responsibility from such a wide range of people. It's impossible to keep track of them since they have no consistent release schedule and can quit any time they want, sometimes you don't even know if they really quit or just on "a very long break". You can't maintain a database with such uncertainty. "Then let's just add only famous ones!" Before you ask, quality and popularity are not valid criteria.
2. This is not my opinion but I've seen it mentioned a few times before so might as well include it here. MAL db is understaffed with a huge backlog waiting, allowing more means more mods is needed, which is not something affordable at this time.

Thank you for your detailed opinion. I think you are right about that there has to be some kind of line that needs to be drawn, but if there is a "considerable amount" (draw that line somewhere there) of users that wants something to be added, it shouldnt matter if its only online-based. Of course that's also just my opinion, but my primary reason for using myanimelist is to keep track of everything related to this topic and it kinda sucks if my list is not complete in the end of the day just because something is not printed yet lol.

Apr 25, 6:53 AM

Cladocera said:
MAL db is understaffed with a huge backlog waiting, allowing more means more mods is needed, which is not something affordable at this time.

If you are talking about money, as far as I know, the mods aren't paid. They just need to accept more moderators and have a few active people overseeing them.

Other anime list websites have successfully managed this and they have a huge catalog of webtoons. You say 'popularity' is not a criteria, I say, why not? It's better than nothing. MAL should learn a thing or two from Animeplanet, which has Solo Leveling on their database.

Apr 25, 8:40 AM
"I want my favorite Chinese romance novel added to this list"!

^ this is an example of why the "it's asian and it's in a genre that's also in anime!" argument isn't any good.

*Why* should we add Solo Leveling? Because it's Korean, and Korean is close-enough to Japanese? And because it's genre is game-world-ish, e.g. similar to SAO or something?

The problem with that point of logic is that there isn't any "one true anime genre" or anything, it spans all genres. If things can be added just because they're kind of similar to popular anime then we could/should justify adding just about anything. Naturally, when people talk about adding in all this other stuff, it's because they like a specific genre and want things in that genre from outside Japan to be added, on the basis that they're similar to shows they like. However, those same people probably wouldn't be happy if e.g. My Little Pony was added on the basis that it's similar to 4 girl-slice of life manga and animes (which far, far outnumber the isekai, SAO or Dragonball types genres mind you).
Modified by cipheron, Apr 25, 8:54 AM

May 13, 9:17 PM
Adding something like MLP is a ridiculous comparison to Solo Leveling. Can't even compare some childish cartoon show about ponies to an action webcomic with a lot of violence, story and world building and death.

Also I want to add that the entire reason I use MAL is because it has an extensive database for finding new material and logging what I have read or watched so I can also recommend to others. It should be as simple as making note that it is not licenced or published while making the entry and that will solve the entire issue that is being debated.

May 17, 3:26 AM

cipheron said:
*Why* should we add Solo Leveling? Because it's Korean, and Korean is close-enough to Japanese?

Just FYI, there're a lot of Korean webtoons in MAL's database, from Naver's Webtoon, Kakao and Lezhin. Manhua and Chinese anime too.