Forum Settings
Forums
Apr 17, 9:06 AM

Hey fellas!

Is it just me, or are high quality (somewhat darker) anime really rare?

I'm looking for something similar to these 6:

Death Note
Attack On Titan
Mirai Nikki
Highschool of the dead
Hellsing Ultimate
Code Geass

Or these (Not quite as high quality though):

Elfen Lied
SaO
Black Lagoon
Tokyo Ghoul
Deadman Wonderland
Parasyte
Berserk
Psycho-Pass

In other words: great story, darker content, nice visuals and preferably more than 12ish episodes...
(Not a big fan of anime comedy)

Thanks!

Apr 17, 9:25 AM

Monster
Texhnolyze
Welcome to the NHK
Rose of Versailles
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni
Serial Experiments Lain
Ghost in the Shell + Stand Alone Complex
Oniisame e...
Shinsekai yori
Modified by Blarey, Apr 17, 9:33 AM

Apr 17, 9:33 AM

> shinsekai yori
> banana fish (not that dark)

Apr 17, 10:50 AM
91 Days

Bungou Stray Dogs + the sequels Bungou Stray Dogs 2nd Season, Bungou Stray Dogs 3rd Season, the special Bungou Stray Dogs: Hitori Ayumu and the movie Bungou Stray Dogs: Dead Apple(watch the movie only after finishing the second season!)

Death Parade + Death Billiards

Jigoku Shoujo

Mawaru Penguindrum

Servamp

Shoukoku no Altair

Apr 17, 11:19 AM

Serial Experiments Lain
Goodnight PunPun (Haven't watched but I have heard good things about it)
Boku dake ga Inai Machi ( Aka Erased)
Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica (Havn't watched this one eather but sounds really good)
Made in Abyss (Chibi artstyle)

Apr 17, 11:40 AM
Perfect Blue
Shinsekai Yori
Mnemosyne: Mnemosyne no Musume-tachi
Kara no Kyoukai
Made in Abyss (deceiving)
Gakkou Gurashi (deceiving)
Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica (deceiving)
Yuuki Yuuna wa Yuusha de Aru (deceiving)
Claymore (the ending is not the same as the manga as the manga extends past what the anime adapted)
Texhnolyze
Ergo Proxy
Jormungand
NHK ni Youkoso
Aku no Hana (the art might push you away though)
Serial Experiments Lain
Higurashi series
Shigurui
Shiki
Another
Corpse Party
Monster
Death Parade
Jigoku Shoujo
Baccano
Canaan
Blood-C
Blood+

Kinda just all the darker/mature anime I could think of on the spot. Hopefully at least one of these appeals to you :)

Apr 17, 11:44 AM

Darker than black

Apr 17, 12:39 PM

Seirei no Moribito - based on a novel by anthropologist Uehashi Nahoko, directed by Kamiyama Kenji with music by Kawai Kenji. Lovingly produced by the NHK and Production I.G.

An adaptation of Uehashi's Kemono no Sou-ja Erin was released by I.G. a couple of years after Moribito. This show targets the younger end of the young-adult audience while Moribito is aimed at somewhat older kids.

Oh! Edo Rocket adapts a stage play by Nakashima Kazuki who went on to write the scripts for Gurren Lagann and Kill la Kill. It's set in 1843 Edo during the "Tenpou Reforms" which limited popular entertainments in hopes of "purifying" Japan. It's a funny satire on political repression.

Princess Principal also exhibits high production values as it tells a story about high-school girls who moonlight as spies in a steampunk London.

Next, there are the fifteen episodes that constitute the "Apothecary" anthology. It begins with the three-episode closing arc of Ayakashi Samurai Horror Tales. That was so well-received that noitaminA and Toei teamed up with direct Nakamura Kenji for another twelve episodes in a series called Mononoke.

Bartender is certainly targeted at adults, and some of the characters are as old as I am!

Hataraki Man follows a 28-yo female editor who battles overwork and patriarchy at a weekly magazine.

Aggressive Retsuko ("Aggretsuko") follows characters created by Sanrio as they attempt to expand from Hello, Kitty to older audiences. Office worker by day, Retsuko releases her frustrations by singing death metal songs in a karaoke bar.

I'm tempted to list GeGeGe no Kitarou (2018) here. Yes, it's officially a "kids show," but one that deals with overwork, social media addiction, openness to foreigners, and, in episode 20, the failure of the Japanese educational system to present its students with a true picture of Japan's role in World War II. Toei put its all into this series in honor of the Fiftieth Anniversary of Mizuki Shigeru's original manga.

Finally I'll suggest Hyouge Mono, an adaptation of a prize-winning novel set during the Sengoku period. The main character is one of Nobunaga's vassals and works as a negotiator for his lord, but Sasuke's first love is the masterpieces of art used in Japanese tea ceremonies.
Modified by SeijiSensei, Apr 17, 12:47 PM

Apr 17, 1:11 PM

NamelessWeeb said:

Oyasumi Punpun doesn't have an anime, it's manga only.

Apr 17, 1:15 PM

Blarey said:
NamelessWeeb said:

oof I'll pretend I didn't make that mistake. But I've heard good thinks about the manga. ゚ー゚

Apr 17, 1:32 PM

NamelessWeeb said:
Blarey said:

oof I'll pretend I didn't make that mistake. But I've heard good thinks about the manga. ゚ー゚

Yeah its great, probably one of the darkest stories out there. It would be a good rec if OP read manga

Apr 18, 6:51 AM

No offense but in what world are Mirai Nikki and Highschool of the Dead for mature audiences and high quality? Those just scream 'teenager'. Pretty much everything on that list is aimed at teens and most of them are not very mature so I'm not sure if you'd actually enjoy dark and mature titles aimed at adults like, idk, Tex, Casshern Sins, Monster, Shigurui, Lain and whatnot. Feel free to give them a try but they don't really tend to have the same appeal as most of the shows you listed. You just seem to look for edgy (and I don't mean that negatively), action-heavy shounens. Which is perfectly fine, but the title and the examples you just don't really fit and you might not get the perfect recs like that. Most shows people mentioned so far are not things I'd associate with most of what you listed. They probably just read the title and not your Opening Post, which is very common on forums like this.

So I'll just ignore the title and recommend you some stuff based on the examples you listed that I think you might enjoy:

Goblin Slayer
Akame ga Kill
Guilty Crown
Hai to Gensou Grimgar
Drifters (same author as Hellsing)
Claymore
Gokukoku no Brynhildr (same author as Elfen Lied)
Speed Grapher
Gungrave
Gangsta
Bungou Stray Dogs
Modified by Pullman, Apr 18, 6:56 AM

Gentlemen will walk but never run.

Apr 18, 7:46 AM

So I'll just ignore the title and recommend you some stuff based on the examples you listed that I think you might enjoy:

I replied to the title and ignored the list!

Apr 18, 10:03 AM
SeijiSensei said:

I replied to the title and ignored the list!

Good for you! Here is your medal for this great achievement.

Apr 18, 10:27 AM

Did you open a new account just to make this snarky post?

Apr 19, 1:42 PM

SeijiSensei said:
Did you open a new account just to make this snarky post?

No they also made it to spam like 20 comments with graphical insults about having intercourse with my mom on my profile yesterday, and some PNs. I had to get them banned multiple times on different alts. He must have spent at least a couple of hours on that task. Fortunately it only took 5 seconds to report and get him banned and the comments deleted. But I did wonder where that came from. Now I know I guess.

Trying to give recs to people is a truly rewarding activity on this wonderful website.

Gentlemen will walk but never run.

Apr 20, 4:49 AM

Sorry to hear that. No one deserves that kind of harassment.

Apr 21, 11:07 PM

Heey
I was watching an anime and was instantly tought of this post Demon slayer is deffinetly something real great chraphic design and gore still airing to so this is the only one i think about i will expand my post maybe later xD