Forum Settings
Forums
Apr 17, 8:27 AM

Anyone ever experience something which changed their minds or least made them reconsider ormaybe just an interest in the topic?

Myself I find the whole topic interesting mainly due to the historic roots and psychological reasoning behind the myths/legends. I'd love to spend a night in place like Pennhurst.

Apr 17, 8:42 AM

Far back in the day when I was 7 years old and really dumb, as you would expect from a 7 year old.

It is an interesting topic though. There are a variety of things that can cause hallucinations, such as super low frequencies, lack of sleep, poisonings such as carbon monoxide poisoning, obviously drugs, feelings like stress or grief, genetic disorders, or simply just suggestion from your own mind.

And that's only a subset of things that can mess with your perception.
Beyond that, people often get the idea that they've experienced something supernatural because of faults with their memory, so there's another stop where it can all go wrong.

As a general rule of thumb, if you start hallucinating it is wise to get the hell out of the area you're in (in case you've been breathing in a harmful gas), and consult a doctor asap.
Modified by Railey2, Apr 17, 8:48 AM

Apr 17, 8:51 AM

Most of the 'paranormal' activities present in so-called haunted houses occur simply due to your expectations of having them. A mixture of placebo, the sudden rush of adrenocorticosteroids, and your brain telling you to get the fuck out of a shady situation causes such types of occurrences. Assuming there are no external stimuli other than yourself. Read the post above if otherwise.

Apr 17, 9:33 AM

Railey2 said:
Far back in the day when I was 7 years old and really dumb, as you would expect from a 7 year old.

It is an interesting topic though. There are a variety of things that can cause hallucinations, such as super low frequencies, lack of sleep, poisonings such as carbon monoxide poisoning, obviously drugs, feelings like stress or grief, genetic disorders, or simply just suggestion from your own mind.

Beyond that, people often get the idea that they've experienced something supernatural because of faults with their memory, so there's another stop where it can all go wrong.

As a general rule of thumb, if you start hallucinating it is wise to get the hell out of the area you're in (in case you've been breathing in a harmful gas), and consult a doctor asap.
You can really go down the rabbit hole for reasons, one of my favourites is examples of shared delusion and just how powerful suggestion can be on the human mind and how quickly we can become irrational when fear and anxiety is allowed to have domino affect.You could also argue the effects of primal and culture fears.

There's really no greater fiction than ones own memory

Apr 17, 1:48 PM

I've seen things I didn't quite understand. Like the tumbleweed in the middle of the road that vanished when we drove past it. Or the mysterious light on the steps in my house that vanished when I walked past it, and I felt a breeze. Or all the shadows I've seen in the corner of my eye in a closed room. Or intense bout of sleep paralysis I had when I literally felt like I heard someone screaming next to my bed.

But I don't attribute any of these to the paranormal. They are, at worst, psychological hijinx. But most likely, they are at least in part just empirical circumstances. For example, headlights from a car driving down the street can hit the window at the right angle and focus a light into the room, which causes shadows in unexpected places. I've observed this happening when I noticed cars driving past, so it's not just some random post hoc rationalization I made up.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.

Apr 17, 9:13 PM

Haven't experienced anything I was sure of. Had some pretty odd things though.

Railey2 said:

Low frequency only causes blurred vision. Pretty sure everyone can recognize they have blurred vision.

Carbon monoxide poisoning among other kinds of poisonings have other symptoms that make it fairly obvious to most people they have been poisoned or at least were ill. For example I saw some show I wish I recall what it was but they were talking about a whole community that started acting really hostile and became ill including losing their hair. Turned out it was some sort of plastic waste product that connaminated their water supply. Carbon monoxide is harder to spot but that too causes other noticeable symptoms that should appear before hallucinations.

Even accidental drug exposure often can be identified by an inexperienced person unless it effects perception but they often can tell after it wears off in that case.

Hallucinations from mental conditions and sleep deprivation tend to build up somewhat gradually not immediately full vision and sounds from what I recall. I should look closer at how it progresses usually.

That last thing requires sensory deprivation for hours on end at a minimum.

Von_Struth said:
You can really go down the rabbit hole for reasons, one of my favourites is examples of shared delusion and just how powerful suggestion can be on the human mind and how quickly we can become irrational when fear and anxiety is allowed to have domino affect.You could also argue the effects of primal and culture fears.

There's really no greater fiction than ones own memory

Shared hallucinations to actually match up require detailed verbal descriptions as it happens and is rare.
Modified by traed, Apr 17, 9:19 PM

Apr 17, 9:15 PM

I read somewhere on the internet that ghosts don’t exist so no

Apr 17, 9:20 PM

What's up with these constant stream of spiritual, religious and paranormal threads on mal 0.o

Anyway no. I don't believe in paranormal shit. Nor do I believe in God. It's only humans and our brains playing tricks.

Apr 17, 9:41 PM

It depends if I'm drunk or not. But when I'm sober I don't believe.

Apr 18, 11:28 AM

While I’ve never had any personal paranormal experiences that I can remember, just about everyone else in my family has.

Apr 18, 11:32 AM

while there's more to reality than we can grasp the "paranormal" isnt part of it.

Apr 18, 1:48 PM

The only thing I believe in is demons. I refuse to watch anything about possession. I'll watch slasher horror all day. Creepy psychological sure. But demons. No. I stole a copy of The Omen when I was in late middle school. I grew up in a religious family and wasn't allowed to read it but I really wanted to. That book fucked me up. I burned it because I couldn't stand to hide it in my room any longer. I had this weird moment. I was in the den lounging on the sofa reading. Home alone. No tv or anything on when I heard a voice speak to me. It said my name and my flesh prickled up in goose bumps. My heart began to race and I just had this sick feeling like something bad was trying to reach me. I got on my knees and prayed till I felt like I was gonna puke. That solidified my belief and I guess you could say fear. I don't open myself up to dark shit.

Apr 18, 2:04 PM

I actually experienced some paranormal things and I even made a post about this a while ago, probably a couple of months ago, or so.

Apr 18, 2:18 PM

Ever listen to George Noory's late night radio program? Some of the people he has as guests are certified nut cases but a lot of then will make you think really hard.
Modified by zrdb, Apr 18, 2:21 PM
Life Is Short But Intense.

Apr 18, 4:05 PM

I don't believe in anything, but one day in 2013, I was alone at home playing Call of Duty in my room, when some random voice of a church priest started talking as if he was in the middle of the cult, and it was kinda loud because I was wearing headphones and could hear it well.

I thought the noise was coming from some car outside, neighbor or something like that, but after like 5 minutes of this noise I decided to go check it. Turns out, the loud voice was coming from the radio clock in my room, that somehow had turned on and was playing some christian radio station.

When I tried to turn it off using the switch, it didn't turn off because it was already on the "off" state and I switched it to the "on" state, so I switched it back to the "off" state but it was still on, so I switched it on and off a couple of times and it was still on, so I had to remove it from the power source to turn it off. After plugging it again, it was working properly. I thought it had some problem with the switch, so I opened it, but everything was ok. This had never happened before and never happened again (I still have it it).

I don't know how it turned on because I never used the radio function, just use it as a digital clock. My theory is that the energy peaked and the current surpassed the switch limit, but that would have damaged the switch and everything was ok, so I don't really know how that happened and to me the radio station was just a coincidence.

Apr 18, 9:35 PM

When I was 11 I experienced sleep paralysis for the first time and hallucinated a shadowy demon who was trying to choke me for what felt like forever. I felt scared and it made me consider the possibility of demons existing but I first google searched to see if others experienced something similar and that's when I learnt about sleep paralysis. The second time I experienced sleep paralysis I was super calm and just enjoyed the various hallucinations.

I think most paranormal experiences can be attributed to hallucinations or ignorance about some particular phenomenon.
All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy;
for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves;
we must die to one life before we can enter another

Apr 18, 9:55 PM

We jest that my workplace has a ghost inhabiting the building, he even has a name (though no backstory insofar as I know). So if you hear a strange noise, that's Marcus.

LEARN3D MY LESS0N
i'm the powder you're the fuse.

Apr 19, 2:14 PM

What if random boners are caused by handjobs from ghosts?

Apr 20, 2:44 AM

Nek0 said:

this is the best thing ive seen in a while! totally just made my day rofl

Apr 20, 3:15 AM

I never once believe in those stuffs and anything unscientific. Even if my friends kept telling me their experiences about ghosts and anything related to supernatural, I'm always dead set on not believing on their stories.

Apr 20, 3:25 AM

Nek0 said:
Ghost if you ever wanna prove your existence I'm a willing participant.

Apr 20, 5:01 AM

Used to be into occult, even then for most of my occult live i didn't believe in paranormal, though a lot of people in it don't really believe in paranormal (for example Laveyan satanists, most Chaots and so on) so i guess that's quite common.

Human mind is weird thing, that can make you see, hear and belief that something "paranormal exist" , but anecdotal evidence is as best as one can get with these things and that's not much.
Signature was not removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Tulip & Flower Guidelines.

Apr 20, 9:33 PM

I'm like 95% sure that sort of stuff doesn't exist but the photo above definitely stops me from completely ruling out the possibility. When my Dad visited the Taj Mahal he took a photo of the tomb and later when he got the camera's photos developed there was a ghostly figure in the photo. But the thing is there was nobody else in the room (nor anybody in any nearby rooms) and there were no mirrors or unobstructed windows or special light sources nearby. So the only significant possibility left was double exposure but we confirmed with professional photographers that this wasn't the case either (the camera he used wasn't even capable of it nor would it make any sense given the other photos in the album) and they all had no explanation for how it could have happened they didn't even have so much as a guess the photo just does not make sense. Me and my Dad are very fact based people, not the kind of people who believe in conspiracy theories or the super natural, so this photo totally baffles us lol and has stopped both of us from completely ruling out the possibility of ghosts. Plus personally there's some very intelligent level headed people (some even among scientific communities) whom have shared paranormal experiences that probably have an explanation or maybe were just a lucid dream or something but that make me go okay clearly this person is far from being some sort of nut job and there's no incentive for them to lie about this so what the heck actually happened to them. I'm inclined to believe there's a scientific explanation for everything but sometimes there are just some coincidences out there that really make you ponder what in the world could be going.

Apr 21, 9:33 AM

Nek0 said:

This man just discovered the life-long question that no one could answer.