Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 14, 2019 2:09 PM

Nov 2017
Have you ever felt that there is a point where after watching an anime that you personally consider excellent so many times that it stops being enjoyable and starts to become a waste of your time instead? If so, how many watches of something does it take before that happens for you. Personally, I love revisiting things but the main reason I don't do it more often is because I feel the need to keep up with things to be a part of the community. For the record, (although its obviously not an anime) I watch Harry Potter 1 every Christmas since it came out in 2001, which comes out to probably 17 times. Still enjoy it.
AngryCactusApr 14, 2019 2:51 PM
It's not like I like anime or anything.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 14, 2019 2:40 PM

Sep 2014
I dont think anime I rewatch multiple times will ever get boring for me, but I would argue aside from 2 or 3 philosophic anime everything we do here is a massive waste of time. But thats why we are on MAL.

But I guess one a year in the long run is pretty sustainable. Depending on your amount of anime you watch you will have had enough input to justify a rewatch. Things you watched for the first time can be rewatched multiple times in the same year, happened for me with Jojo.

So I would say 100.000 times would be a bit much, because thats basically your entire life.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Apr 14, 2019 2:47 PM

Jul 2016
I do not mind rewatching a series as long as I feel invested enough.
Apr 14, 2019 2:47 PM

Feb 2019
No amount of rewatches is ever too much as long as you still enjoy it. I've watched Steins;Gate 43 times because I love it so much and it never gets boring for me. Planning a 44th rewatch soon too lol.
When you stand at the cliff's edge, staring into the darkness below, the most horrifying realization is not that you might slip, but that you could leap.
Apr 14, 2019 2:51 PM

Nov 2009
No such thing to me. I enjoy the process of re-affirming why my favorites are my favorites regardless of how my preferences change over time.
Apr 14, 2019 2:57 PM

Nov 2017
Comander-07 said:
I dont think anime I rewatch multiple times will ever get boring for me, but I would argue aside from 2 or 3 philosophic anime everything we do here is a massive waste of time. But thats why we are on MAL.

But I guess one a year in the long run is pretty sustainable. Depending on your amount of anime you watch you will have had enough input to justify a rewatch. Things you watched for the first time can be rewatched multiple times in the same year, happened for me with Jojo.

So I would say 100.000 times would be a bit much, because thats basically your entire life.

Yeah, shows that are really dense with information or are subtle and that reward the viewer for reading between the lines definitely have the most longevity. I'd give FLCL as an example, but some people might argue that it is just intentionally confusing. Probably another reason I like to rewatch things so much is because I have a sewer drain for a memory.

Apr 14, 2019 3:01 PM

Nov 2017
MadHobbit2 said:
No amount of rewatches is ever too much as long as you still enjoy it. I've watched Steins;Gate 43 times because I love it so much and it never gets boring for me. Planning a 44th rewatch soon too lol.

Impressive. Most Impressive. The only thing I've ever watched that many times would be a vine. What draws you to Steins; Gate the most?

Apr 14, 2019 3:03 PM

Nov 2017
Psytrance said:
I just finished rewatching the entire AOT series - including 5 OVAs and despite having watching season 1 + 2 twice i loved it. I can easily call it a masterpiece. I'm still depressed about these deaths that I already knew had happened. Having said that, rewatching something will not get boring unless you watch t it a lot in a short period of time. If you go and rewatch, AOT for example three times or more in a month, I will not doubt that it will become a bit annoying despite you loved it at first.

Agreed. The fastest I've ever re-watched something was probably Mob Psycho, watched the sub and the dub for the hell of it the next day. Three times in a single months sounds about the limit to me as well.

Apr 14, 2019 3:04 PM

Dec 2012
There is no limit, unless I find that rewatching so much stuff is interfering with me completing shows that I haven't seen yet or getting rid of my DVD/BD backlog.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Apr 14, 2019 3:06 PM

Aug 2018
There is no limit on the amount, but I do think that it should be at least 1 or 2 years between each rewatch. Also, rewatching should have less priority than watching new shows.

MadHobbit2 said:
I find you disgusting and repulsive.
DaCraziGuyApr 14, 2019 3:09 PM
Apr 14, 2019 3:08 PM

Nov 2017
84DaysWithout said:
No such thing to me. I enjoy the process of re-affirming why my favorites are my favorites regardless of how my preferences change over time.

I think rewatching things is a great way to learn about yourself too. That is to say, when you come back to something after a while, it obviously hasn't changed one bit, so if you find that your opinion of it has in some way been altered, by looking at exactly how your opinion has changed, you can gain insight about how you have changed as a person.

Apr 14, 2019 3:16 PM

Nov 2016
I dunno how many time in a row I would need to rewatch my favs to get sick of them, but probably a shitload of times.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 14, 2019 3:21 PM

Mar 2019
I have re-watched LoGH 100 times and I do not plan to stop.
Apr 14, 2019 3:23 PM

Nov 2017
Zerxeez_ said:

I am somewhat skeptical of that claim

Apr 14, 2019 3:25 PM

Oct 2018
aaaaa
AngryCactus said:
Zerxeez_ said:

As am I. You seriously watched LoGH 100 times? Isn't it 110 episodes?
Apr 14, 2019 3:26 PM

Aug 2018
I re watch knowing i wouldn't get tired of it

That's why you re watch
Apr 14, 2019 3:27 PM

Nov 2017
zagzee said:
aaaaa
AngryCactus said:

Yesssir, boils down to 152 days of LoGH watching. (minus OP and ED and previews)

Apr 14, 2019 3:28 PM

May 2015
I think as long as you leave enough time between rewatching then there can never be too many times.

I'm not much of a rewatcher of series (I don't think I've seen a series more than twice) but I do like rewatching movies. I've seen Your Name a few times and each time was just as good as the first because I left a decent amount of time between them. If I watched it once a month then I'm sure I'd get sick of it fast. Its been over a year since I last watched it though so talking about it has given me the urge to watch it again lmao.

♡ artist
サコ
Apr 14, 2019 3:43 PM

May 2018
I've watched a couple of dozen of my favourite series twice - usually with a gap of a year or two in between. I love Log Horizon and really enjoyed it the second time around but I saw this one guy on a non-MAL forum who'd seen it 14 times - I think perhaps that would be too much LOL. I know it's not anime but I've seen Avatar: The Last Airbender 3 times and that remains the record for me. The anime I'm most looking forward to rewatching are: Fate/Zero, Made in Abyss, HxH, Hinamatsuri, Saiki K and 3-gatsu no Lion :D
Apr 14, 2019 3:51 PM

Jan 2013
If it becomes boring for you then stop rewatching it and the problem will fix itself.
Then maybe in like 5 years you can give it another go.
Apr 14, 2019 3:52 PM

Mar 2019
[quote=zagzee message=57398928]aaaaa
AngryCactus said:
Zerxeez_ said:

Yes I did. I also re-watched Serial Experiments Lain like fifteen times as of now. Not as much as LoGH, but stil a high number. Also re-watched some shorts.
Apr 14, 2019 3:54 PM

Nov 2017

That is much more probable than 100 rewtaches I'll say.

AngryCactusApr 14, 2019 3:59 PM

Apr 14, 2019 3:55 PM

Sep 2014
AngryCactus said:
Comander-07 said:

Yeah, shows that are really dense with information or are subtle and that reward the viewer for reading between the lines definitely have the most longevity. I'd give FLCL as an example, but some people might argue that it is just intentionally confusing. Probably another reason I like to rewatch things so much is because I have a sewer drain for a memory.
It doesnt even need to be subtile or anything, I think I rewatched Mirai Nikki the most. Partially because its one of the first anime I had digitally so I could watch it even without internet.
Apr 14, 2019 3:59 PM

Nov 2017
Comander-07 said:
AngryCactus said:

It doesnt even need to be subtile or anything, I think I rewatched Mirai Nikki the most. Partially because its one of the first anime I had digitally so I could watch it even without internet.

You're right, not necessarily, but in my case that's a huge factor, that and nostalgia bring me back to a series too. While Im not a fan of Mirai Nikki, I think it can be interesting to rewatch shows you didn't like the first time to see how drastically your tastes might have changed. I plan to do just that with Serial Experiments Lain, since I didn't appreciate it all that much on the first watch.

Apr 14, 2019 5:45 PM

Feb 2019
AngryCactus said:
MadHobbit2 said:

Impressive. Most Impressive. The only thing I've ever watched that many times would be a vine. What draws you to Steins; Gate the most?

The best thing about Steins Gate is how elegantly it deconstructs the notion of determinism within the framework of a story-driven character study. The idea of a choice between two equal but different outcomes, either of which we could have taken, is mostly unrealistic. This is because we don't care about most things equally. For example, there's a sort of unspoken priority in most people's minds of who/what you would save in a burning building and in what order.

But Steins;Gate does present us with that scenario: the choice between the lives of Mayuri and Kurisu, two people Okabe cares about deeply. Instead of making the hard choice, like he had in the past, when Okabe was presented with two equally bad options, he simply couldn't make a decision. In the end, Kurisu had to make the decision for him, since she saw things from a different perspective. Okabe prioritized both Mayuri's and Kurisu's happiness, making it a perfect zero-sum scenario, whereas Kurisu prioritized Okabe's and Mayuri's happiness, which would be fulfilled much more by her own death than Mayuri's. Presented with the same scenario, Kurisu was free to actually make her decision.

And that might be the key to free will. A choice is just the ability to cause one of multiple possible outcomes, and maybe we could consider free will as getting to use one's own unique priority list to make a decision, instead of being forced onto one outcome by an outside force. In that sense, Okabe does exert free will: he had options that would have fulfilled some or most of his priorities, and he chose between them, instead of being railroaded down that path. Nobody was forcing their decisions onto him. The tangled mess of if-statements and priorities that was Okabe's brain made those decisions on its own.

And this is barely scratching the surface. The world of Steins;Gate itself is extremely well-constructed. Stories involving time travel should naturally get a little bit of creative leeway regarding paradoxes and plot holes, but one thing I've always loved about the Steins;Gate franchise is that it locks the sci-fi concepts into concrete bounds that allow the narrative to flow naturally without bogging the viewer down in abstract theory and semantics. It's certainly fictitious on many levels, but the way it's presented gives a level of believably to the story without sacrificing complexity.

There's a bunch of other stuff I love about it too, like the lack of "anime moments", the well-developed cast of characters, the comedic timing being on-point, the animation style and music choice, etc. I could basically go on forever about how much I love the show, and I'll truly never get tired of watching it.
MadHobbit2Apr 14, 2019 5:51 PM
When you stand at the cliff's edge, staring into the darkness below, the most horrifying realization is not that you might slip, but that you could leap.
Apr 14, 2019 6:34 PM

Dec 2016
I'm gonna be extremist here and say: there's no such number. When you like/love something... you like/love that something. If you happen to rewatch it at any additional time and you find that you are not enjoying it...to me you really didn't like it/love it in the first place.

AngryCactus said:
I watch Harry Potter 1 every Christmas since it came out in 2001, which comes out to probably 17 times. Still enjoy it.

Lol it's amazing how so many people do that. That movie, along with Home Alone (from Chris Columbus too), are just the perfect movies to watch that time of the year. They just screeeam Christmas XD.
Apr 14, 2019 6:44 PM

Nov 2017
MadHobbit2 said:
AngryCactus said:

The best thing about Steins Gate is how elegantly it deconstructs the notion of determinism within the framework of a story-driven character study. The idea of a choice between two equal but different outcomes, either of which we could have taken, is mostly unrealistic. This is because we don't care about most things equally. For example, there's a sort of unspoken priority in most people's minds of who/what you would save in a burning building and in what order.

But Steins;Gate does present us with that scenario: the choice between the lives of Mayuri and Kurisu, two people Okabe cares about deeply. Instead of making the hard choice, like he had in the past, when Okabe was presented with two equally bad options, he simply couldn't make a decision. In the end, Kurisu had to make the decision for him, since she saw things from a different perspective. Okabe prioritized both Mayuri's and Kurisu's happiness, making it a perfect zero-sum scenario, whereas Kurisu prioritized Okabe's and Mayuri's happiness, which would be fulfilled much more by her own death than Mayuri's. Presented with the same scenario, Kurisu was free to actually make her decision.

And that might be the key to free will. A choice is just the ability to cause one of multiple possible outcomes, and maybe we could consider free will as getting to use one's own unique priority list to make a decision, instead of being forced onto one outcome by an outside force. In that sense, Okabe does exert free will: he had options that would have fulfilled some or most of his priorities, and he chose between them, instead of being railroaded down that path. Nobody was forcing their decisions onto him. The tangled mess of if-statements and priorities that was Okabe's brain made those decisions on its own.

And this is barely scratching the surface. The world of Steins;Gate itself is extremely well-constructed. Stories involving time travel should naturally get a little bit of creative leeway regarding paradoxes and plot holes, but one thing I've always loved about the Steins;Gate franchise is that it locks the sci-fi concepts into concrete bounds that allow the narrative to flow naturally without bogging the viewer down in abstract theory and semantics. It's certainly fictitious on many levels, but the way it's presented gives a level of believably to the story without sacrificing complexity.

There's a bunch of other stuff I love about it too, like the lack of "anime moments", the well-developed cast of characters, the comedic timing being on-point, the animation style and music choice, etc. I could basically go on forever about how much I love the show, and I'll truly never get tired of watching it.

I would be surprised if you felt as strongly about the second season. How does it stack up in your opinion?

Apr 14, 2019 6:45 PM

Sep 2017
When you have rewatched too meny times, so you feel bored.

Decide once every certain number of years which members of the ruling class will oppress and crush the people in parliament: this is the true essence of bourgeois parliamentarism, not only in the constitutional parliamentary monarchies but in the most democratic republics
- The State and Revolution (September 1917), Vladimir Ilyich Ulyanov "Lenin".
Apr 14, 2019 6:46 PM

Nov 2017
Arkab said:
I'm gonna be extremist here and say: there's no such number. When you like/love something... you like/love that something. If you happen to rewatch it at any additional time and you find that you are not enjoying it...to me you really didn't like it/love it in the first place.

AngryCactus said:
I watch Harry Potter 1 every Christmas since it came out in 2001, which comes out to probably 17 times. Still enjoy it.

Lol it's amazing how so many people do that. That movie, along with Home Alone (from Chris Columbus too), are just the perfect movies to watch that time of the year. They just screeeam Christmas XD.

Don't you forget about Die Hard. Classic Christmas movie.

Apr 14, 2019 6:55 PM
Aug 2018
I don't really rewatch or reread anything, I feel like once I finished something I shouldn't go through it again or it will not be as good as i remember.
Apr 14, 2019 8:07 PM

Feb 2019
AngryCactus said:
MadHobbit2 said:

I would be surprised if you felt as strongly about the second season. How does it stack up in your opinion?

Not gonna lie, at first I was stoked as hell when I started watching Zero. But discounting the nostalgia rush I got from seeing my favorite characters back in action once again, I've come to realize that it's a rather disappointing spin-off (and here I use "spin-off" instead of "second season" because second season implies it's a continuation of the first, which Zero is not; rather, Zero takes place in an alternate timeline completely separate from the original and only loosely follows the original's plot).

I'll run down a few of my gripes with Zero here:

1. Drama feels forced and often out of step with the plot. A lot of superficial elements are introduced and then discarded without being expanded upon, so the tension the show tries to create often falls flat. For example Okabe seeing a therapist, Daru's part-time hacking job, or that whole episode about the song Mayuri sings. In the original Steins;Gate, everything had a point, and elements of character development were never introduced lightly. Everything was expanded upon and, later, somehow woven into the story. Zero does not do this, and a lot of threads are left dangling, leaving the viewer to question whether they even mattered.

2. Remember when I previously mentioned "anime moments"? And how there were literally NONE of them in the original Steins;Gate? Well, Zero has them in spades. Note that, when I refer to "anime moments", I specifically mean actions or dialogue that reinforce common tropes and stereotypes within the anime medium. Things like overly exaggerated facial expressions, rapid body movements accompanied by sound effects, distorted character sprites displayed on striated backgrounds.......the original Steins;Gate had none of this whatsoever, and I absolutely loved it for that. But Zero does these things numerous times, and it makes me feel like the creators were trying to appeal to the lowest common denominator by throwing in these cliche scenes that weebs could recognize as uniquely "anime". This isn't even mentioning all the loli jokes surrounding Maho's character, which are in poor taste at the best of times, and completely unnecessary and cringy at the worst.

3. Altered character designs. Not talking about personalities here, but their physical appearances. Nothing much more to say here; all you have to do is look at the bust sizes of the female characters in Steins;Gate, them compare them to the bust sizes in Zero. Again, trying to appeal to the lowest common denominator.

4. Kagari's character in general pissed me off. It's bad enough that her existence itself was literally just for fanservice and Kurisu-nostalgia bait, but she contributed almost nothing to the story, and actually serves to slow the plot down considerably, like they were trying to stretch out the runtime or something. The first few episodes with her were literally 90% cutesy yuri scenes with Mayuri. And later on, after the whole mind-control shit kicks in, she's rarely seen at all until the last episode where she's practically a Deus Ex Machina to wrap the plot up nicely.

5. Inconsistencies in the plot require the viewer to suspend disbelief much more than in the original. At least Steins;Gate tried to cover its sci-fi with actual science. Zero just goes "Oh yeah, the time machine can turn invisible, cuz why not?" or "Kagari's love for Mayrui is so strong that she can survive enough gunfire to bring down a hundred people; also she can literally rip people's heads off with just her bare hands". This kind of shit isn't what Steins;Gate is about.

Overall, Zero left a bad taste in my mouth, and it goes without saying that a single viewing is enough. It's a travesty that a show that bad can even be related to a masterpiece like Steins;Gate.
Apr 14, 2019 8:27 PM
Jan 2012
Depends on the genre. I love Steins;Gate, but since it's mostly a thriller/mystery it doesn't retain as much of it's initial value, even if it is still to watch again. Compare that to something like a Shounen show, like Naruto or Hunter x Hunter. The action is still great, a fight scene isn't completely reliant on who wins the fight compared to a mystery being reliant on the answer, the fight itself is still cool to watch over and over.

Also depends on the amount of time between rewatching it. Watching the first Harry Potter movie once a year is a pretty big gap. I mean you've seen it 17 times in so many years, I actually broke that amount of times rewatching every single HP movie in a single year at one point, since it used to be my goto movie series when I just wanted something comfortable. I got tired of it because my constant rewatching made me memorize nearly every single scene, forgetting no small detail.

Rewatching won't ruin a show or movie if done in moderation, if moderated it can actually be a great way to unwind when you don't want anything new and just want something you're comfortable with
Apr 14, 2019 8:38 PM
May 2017
I find that the most interesting Animes for me, I can keep watching them forever.
Apr 14, 2019 10:45 PM

Oct 2010
I'll never get bored of my favs. Currently rewatching Blue Gender for 5th time I guess, I lost counter. Yuji's hair is as edgy as ever and Marlene is still a pseudo-tsundere.
Apr 14, 2019 10:51 PM
Jul 2018
Comander-07 said:
You don't need to watch explicitly philosophical anime to learn something from anime.
Also I'd argue everything is a waste of time since that's just how time works and we're all going to die regardless of what we do.
Apr 14, 2019 11:24 PM
Jul 2018
This mostly depends on how long since I've watched it. Rewatching something I've just seen once is going to be boring no matter how much I liked it. However, going back and watching something I've seen 3 times with the latest being 6 months ago is probably gonna be more enjoyable. I love seeing characters in new situations, and seeing how they would deal with it. So rewatching stuff for the characters is out of the question(I go to specials and OVAs instead). I also find plot driven stuff to have a lot more of an impact when I'm on the edge of my seat wondering what would happen. Despite how many rewatches I have done, I rarely found myself enjoying the rewatch.
Apr 15, 2019 12:49 AM
Jul 2018
I'd rather play the VN of Steins Gate multiple times instead of rewatching the series.

As for rewatching, I can watch a series as a teen, in my 20s,in my 30s, in my 40s.Everytime it will be a different experience.
Apr 15, 2019 1:39 AM

Mar 2015
If I enjoy it I can rewatch a series several times and still love it. A few years ago I rewatched all of Kuroko no Basket (75~ ep) three times in the span of one and a half years and I enjoyed the shit out of it every time. Currently I'm doing my first rewatch of JoJo and I'm having a blast.

Apr 15, 2019 1:41 AM

Jan 2019
if you can watch it twice you can watch it 200 times
:D
Apr 15, 2019 1:51 AM

Jan 2019
I must have watched Alien, Aliens, Predator, Terminator and Total Recall close to 50 times each over the course of my life. They never get old. No reason why the same can't said about your favourite anime.
Apr 15, 2019 2:08 AM

Aug 2011
Well, I can't watch many times a show that I've already seen.
But I will probably if it's a movie I love and I want to introduce to my friends, family or even kids (Ame to Yuki, for instance).

But it's not the same for mangas. I can read forever Dragon Ball, as it will always be fun and amazing to read. And I love to re-discover one that I've not read since years.
Apr 15, 2019 2:12 AM

Oct 2018
I' even made anime schedule for my daily refresh. so I re watch the anime every single day with different anime.

each slot - contain 3-4 anime (with each different genre, might be finished in one week or maybe longer)

Apr 15, 2019 2:30 AM

Aug 2018
There's no limit as long it doesn't turn into an compulsive obsession xd
Apr 15, 2019 2:31 AM

Jul 2009
8 times or more are too many.
You see your favourite thing up to 8 times, use them well. After that, if you re-watch it, then you're just stupid and need to stop.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 15, 2019 2:36 AM

Jan 2016
There's no such thing as a too much/too many.
Apr 15, 2019 6:15 AM

Sep 2014
Aldnox said:
Comander-07 said:
You don't need to watch explicitly philosophical anime to learn something from anime.
Also I'd argue everything is a waste of time since that's just how time works and we're all going to die regardless of what we do.
But exactly because of that a few things stand out and actually change how you view life. You arent wasting time then. You are wasting time when you sit down for hours for some temporal enjoyment, you wont have gained anything after that.
Apr 15, 2019 6:17 AM

Feb 2010
idk, more than once a year seems excessive to me and personally I don't even rewatch anything that frequently. Once every 2-3 years is as far as I'll go.
I probably regret this post by now.
Apr 15, 2019 10:56 AM

Nov 2017
MadHobbit2 said:
AngryCactus said:

Not gonna lie, at first I was stoked as hell when I started watching Zero. But discounting the nostalgia rush I got from seeing my favorite characters back in action once again, I've come to realize that it's a rather disappointing spin-off (and here I use "spin-off" instead of "second season" because second season implies it's a continuation of the first, which Zero is not; rather, Zero takes place in an alternate timeline completely separate from the original and only loosely follows the original's plot).

I'll run down a few of my gripes with Zero here:

1. Drama feels forced and often out of step with the plot. A lot of superficial elements are introduced and then discarded without being expanded upon, so the tension the show tries to create often falls flat. For example Okabe seeing a therapist, Daru's part-time hacking job, or that whole episode about the song Mayuri sings. In the original Steins;Gate, everything had a point, and elements of character development were never introduced lightly. Everything was expanded upon and, later, somehow woven into the story. Zero does not do this, and a lot of threads are left dangling, leaving the viewer to question whether they even mattered.

2. Remember when I previously mentioned "anime moments"? And how there were literally NONE of them in the original Steins;Gate? Well, Zero has them in spades. Note that, when I refer to "anime moments", I specifically mean actions or dialogue that reinforce common tropes and stereotypes within the anime medium. Things like overly exaggerated facial expressions, rapid body movements accompanied by sound effects, distorted character sprites displayed on striated backgrounds.......the original Steins;Gate had none of this whatsoever, and I absolutely loved it for that. But Zero does these things numerous times, and it makes me feel like the creators were trying to appeal to the lowest common denominator by throwing in these cliche scenes that weebs could recognize as uniquely "anime". This isn't even mentioning all the loli jokes surrounding Maho's character, which are in poor taste at the best of times, and completely unnecessary and cringy at the worst.

3. Altered character designs. Not talking about personalities here, but their physical appearances. Nothing much more to say here; all you have to do is look at the bust sizes of the female characters in Steins;Gate, them compare them to the bust sizes in Zero. Again, trying to appeal to the lowest common denominator.

4. Kagari's character in general pissed me off. It's bad enough that her existence itself was literally just for fanservice and Kurisu-nostalgia bait, but she contributed almost nothing to the story, and actually serves to slow the plot down considerably, like they were trying to stretch out the runtime or something. The first few episodes with her were literally 90% cutesy yuri scenes with Mayuri. And later on, after the whole mind-control shit kicks in, she's rarely seen at all until the last episode where she's practically a Deus Ex Machina to wrap the plot up nicely.

5. Inconsistencies in the plot require the viewer to suspend disbelief much more than in the original. At least Steins;Gate tried to cover its sci-fi with actual science. Zero just goes "Oh yeah, the time machine can turn invisible, cuz why not?" or "Kagari's love for Mayrui is so strong that she can survive enough gunfire to bring down a hundred people; also she can literally rip people's heads off with just her bare hands". This kind of shit isn't what Steins;Gate is about.

Overall, Zero left a bad taste in my mouth, and it goes without saying that a single viewing is enough. It's a travesty that a show that bad can even be related to a masterpiece like Steins;Gate.

Thanks for the thorough posts. Feeling somewhat inspired to re-watch the original.

Apr 15, 2019 11:30 AM

Oct 2018
I'll re-watch/listen to a song for a whole day and then move on after that.~

サディスティックな考え
"JUST KILL ME."
サディスティックマインド
Apr 15, 2019 11:32 AM

Apr 2016
Watching HxH 2011 every year since 2013 might be. Cause I've watched it 5 times now.

I've also watched Girls und Panzer over 7 times. And it's movie as well.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

110 by himegal »»
14 minutes ago

» Has the isekai bubble finally burst

EastIndiaCompany - Yesterday

46 by EastIndiaCompany »»
22 minutes ago

» Is it weird that I wish strong female characters would get sad ending?

Sanjay63773 - 1 hour ago

8 by NonAtmospheric »»
22 minutes ago

» Early-mid 2000s anime – what are your thoughts?

Haneken2086 - Yesterday

19 by MasterTasuke »»
30 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

65 by LostSpectre »»
39 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.