Forum Settings
Forums

What anime first got you into anime, or back into it after awhile?

Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Post New Reply
Apr 14, 8:09 AM

K-on! got me back into it after not having watched anime for years. I do remember watching Doraemon when I was little, and reading Attack on Titan in elementary before losing interest for a very long time.

Apr 14, 8:46 AM

A Certain Magical Index for me into anime. I saw a scene on YT and deceided to watch the show. Little did I know it would lead me into the whole medium of anime. Also welcome to the forums, feel free to introduce yourself in Introduction. Also, be sure to put broader discussion about anime in Anime Discussion.
Modified by BlakexEkalb, Apr 14, 8:51 AM

Apr 14, 8:48 AM

Rurouni Kenshin. Of course I watched anime occasionally even before it, but it's the show that made me into a fan.

Close the world
Open the nExt

Apr 14, 8:51 AM
Forum Moderator
Bot Hunter

Thread moved from Casual Discussion
It can't rain all the time

Apr 14, 8:51 AM

I got into anime with Pokemon and DBZ back in the 90's, but what really got me into anime was Ranma 1/2 during the early 2000's.

Apr 14, 8:52 AM

Soul Eater. After that I started actively searching for more anime to watch.

being ruled by emotions and desires is also proof of being alive,
isn't that right?

Apr 14, 9:29 AM

Death Note first got me into anime, and when I was drifting away, KonoSuba got me into it again.

Apr 14, 9:34 AM

Before I saw very few of them and I didn't know the true definition of anime nor were they were made, but pretty much at february 2015 after watching One Piece i became a fan of this medium. Needless to say, One Piece holds a very special place in my heart.

Apr 14, 10:04 AM

It was fairy tail for me. Before that I only watched few shows. Fairy tail made me a hardcore watcher.

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

Apr 14, 10:09 AM

First anime that actually got me into anime was InuYasha years back in my childhood, then came along naruto and the other big three.

then after not watching it for like 6 years, the first one that brought me back into anime was probably Tokyo Ghoul and other mainstreams at the time since that's what appealed to me.

Apr 14, 10:17 AM

Naruto Shippuden... I just thought that it was a high time to continue Naruto after 5 yrs.

Apr 14, 10:33 AM

Naruto and Naruto shippuden, cuz I needed something to keep me busy while I was hospitalized, after that I started watching a lot more anime again.
Go read the One Punch Man manga please, this awful adaptation by JC Staff is a disgrace.

Apr 14, 10:33 AM

Death Note. I kept hearing people mention it, and how good it was, so I finally sat down like" fine, how good could it be?" I then proceeded to watch the whole thing within two days. FMA, AoT, and NGE were the next few I saw and I was fully invested in the medium by then.
It's not like I like anime or anything.

Apr 14, 10:39 AM
who dis

Girls und Panzer, after watching dat, i began watching more anime than before

Apr 14, 11:05 AM

Accel World and Hyouka got me into anime back in 2012 when I was mainly a manga reader.
We are all the main character of our own stories

Apr 14, 11:27 AM

Fullmetal Alchemist (2003) was the one that first got me into anime, back in early 2012.
After some time, due to having watched an unfortunate string of mediocre anime, my interest in the medium fell off and i watched nothing for like a year and a half until Attack on Titan brought me back in late 2014.
I've been consistently watching anime ever since.
Modified by Stygian_Prisoner, Apr 14, 11:39 AM

Apr 14, 11:30 AM

Darker than black. I found it on Netflix. It started my binge of different anime’s with guns, bounty’s and supernatural

Apr 14, 11:34 AM

Death Note 2007, everyone was talking about it. Then I stopped until
Anohana 2011, it was the talk of the town about how much they cried. Stopped again until
SAO 2012, the popularity exploded that even the local news was broadcasting it.
I've been watching anime ever since.

Apr 14, 11:36 AM
o(^-^)o

FMA was the first anime i watched and i have been a degenerate ever since :)

Apr 14, 11:40 AM

If Dragon Ball,Pokémon and Digimon( i had no idea these are animes back then) doesn't count then i started with YYH.
When i was around 14 i stopped watching anime cuz WoW was my everything...:S
5-6 years ago i started again with a tons of ecchi like HS DxD

Apr 14, 1:36 PM

Grendizer

Not only did it introduce me to Anime but animation, in general. I started to watch Anime before watching anything that's Mickey Mouse related.

Apr 14, 1:40 PM

What Anime first got you into Anime?

Death Note.

Apr 14, 1:47 PM
*sips coffee*

Cowboy Bebop. It was a game changer for me. I went from a dumb normie who thought anime were cartoons for kids to thinking it was the coolest shit ever in the span of 48 hours.

"Nothing behind me, everything ahead of me, as is ever so on the road."
― Jack Kerouac

Apr 14, 1:58 PM
I first got into anime through your "typical Naruto route". After Naruto being the only one I watched, along with Pokemon and Beyblade, I also watched Boruto when new episodes came out. Not being satisfied with that, I started watching Boku no Pico Academia and SAO came right after that. It was at this point I wanted to consume more and more anime.

Apr 14, 2:03 PM

three anime sent me to the void. But, it all started in early 2016
1. Blue Exorcist: I found it on Netflix and never looked back
2. Kare Kano: Saw a 10/10 on Mal just winged it and watched the first 4 episodes
3. Code Geass: Watched the opening on youtube on a whim it became the first Japanese op I ever watched. I had to know what the opening entailed.

Apr 14, 2:09 PM

Casual TV watching, probably Dragon Ball.

But really into anime it was Kill la Kill.

Apr 14, 2:14 PM
I first ever watched Pokemon and Blue Gender on A+ channel who later transformed into Animax.. my fellow europeans know what I'm talking about..

Apr 14, 2:17 PM

when i was 10, my sister showed me a rip of death note on youtube (each episode in 3 parts, as thats the only way to watch it) and ive been anime garbage ever since. my first anime was technically hamtaro, but i didnt know that was anime

Apr 14, 2:18 PM
Two animes that got me back into it, after years without watching this kind of entertainment, were Shingeki no Kyojin and SAO, but the first anime i've ever watched was Pokémon

Apr 14, 2:18 PM

I had watched a few anime, international signals on the big satellite dish in the 90's, cartoon network, video stores. There was an application called winamp with peer to peer streaming. Out of boredom I watched shuffle in 2006, I started streaming pretty regularly. Maybe watching a show every month or two, catching the random episodes of naruto... I don't know when I became hooked.

I can retell stories of vampire hunter D being my first exposure, the vhs box set of dragon ball I got for my birthday after seeing it advertised in the promo's of a hungarian animated film, in production with Japan's NHK, called The Princess and the Goblin. The movie itself, not really anime, but dragon ball was advertised, I asked and received. So I think its safe to say, other than the elder weebs, I probably got to know Goku long before the rest of the country, but honestly I STILL don't know.

I can say as far as seasonal anime, I got into patiently waiting and watching just recently in winter 2018, when overlord 2 and death march were running side by side. Since then I've been trying to broaden my horizons as well tackle my plan to watch genre picks. So it was overlord in that sense.

A waste of a few paragraphs I know. The answer to your question, I have no idea. I think my anime addiction just stems from my universal love of fiction. No single show can be credited with generating that. They all just sort of satisfy the preexisting condition. I'm a hopelessly addicted escape artist that has been exposed to thousands of unlocked doors. Do I give credit to the first, or to the favorites, or to me? Is this self inflicted, who knows?
Modified by Grizzziff, Apr 14, 2:24 PM

Apr 14, 2:26 PM

Early 2000 I was mostly into video games (arcades, pc, dreamcast and emulation)
I came across a fan translated SNES platformer called Hamelin no Violin Tamaki (Violinist of Hamelin).
Hadnt played such a good quality game before. One of the best SNES music I heard with various classical pieces. Character sprites were also adorable. Flute, Hameln, Sizer, Raiel, Oboe, the various bosses. Humor all over the place. Very goid quality platformer, though it was long and lacked saves and passwords. Had to use save states.

I looked for more info, visting fan webrings and found it was based on a manga. First time reading the word. Was very eager to read it to see how the story goes and to meet the missing characters. Few years later I ordered a bootleg DVD and read first volumes from fansubbers (under the kotatsu, sadly now defunct and their translation was superior to Gourry scans but is lost) . And in late 2000 manga scanlations became complete and I read the manga in its entirety. One of the best manga mixing hilarious comedy and tense drama.

TV series was way too serious with bad animation but had some of the best OST, arranged by the famous Kohei Tanaka. Movie was way funnier and closer to the manga.

As a result, this series is still very special to me, especially the manga. Too bad sequel ended abruptly due to authors depression issues.

I remember I also bought Jojo for the Dreamcast back then, but the franchise and character design was way too niche for Western anime fans, so I did not bother till some years later

Apr 14, 2:32 PM
ewxD said:
Naruto Shippuden... I just thought that it was a high time to continue Naruto after 5 yrs.
and now it's high time the entire franchise ends for good

Apr 14, 2:43 PM

My first contact with anime was with DBZ, Sailormoon, Pokemon, Digimon and Inuyasha when it was new. But that was childhood and airing on TV so it barely counts.

What really got me back into anime was in fact Rebuild of Evangelion. I saw the first 2 movies by chance on TV and got hooked. I needed more. Also I think Inuyasha was the first anime I watched subbed at some point.

Thats why Evangelion had a huge impact on me and I will maybe be able to stop watching anime once its finally finished for good.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.

Apr 14, 2:48 PM
Thug Hunter

I entered anime because of Evangelion. I always thought about anime like a "childish thing", but when I saw that series, understood that it was actually something deep and unique in the medium, and I wanted something that made me feel the same. So, I watched Cowboy Bebop next and now here I am.

Apr 14, 4:18 PM
Anime Mom

Death Note is the first one I watched. My son was 12 and said, "you need to watch this."

So I did, and for years was a casual anime watcher. I have much more free time these days so I watch a lot more.

Apr 14, 4:26 PM

Kill la Kill and Madoka Magica. I'd always been a super casual anime fan, watching stuff like Bleach, Sailor Moon and the like when I was younger. But I sat down and watched both Kill la Kill and Madoka Magica and those got me really excited to watch some other stuff the medium had to offer.

Apr 14, 4:37 PM

Dragon Ball Z, Yu Yu Hakusho, and practically any thing that aired on Toonami back when it was on Cartoon Network. It only escalated from there and then I stopped watching once I started high school because I wanted to “reinvent” myself. Then I decided that rewatching Dragon Ball Z Kai and Evangelion wouldn’t hurt and then before I knew it, I was back to my anime watching ways.

Apr 14, 4:39 PM
Doraemon. I’ve watched this show throughout my childhood, and it’s a classic for me.

Apr 14, 4:44 PM
Jojo's got me back into anime last August after not watching anything new since 2016 and I haven't stopped since.

Apr 14, 4:48 PM

Either AOT, SAO, or perhaps akuma no riddle?

Apr 14, 4:57 PM

Kill la Kill got me in, Dragon Maid got me really in, and Evangelion got me back in

Apr 14, 5:28 PM

Started with DBZ and Saint Seiya 26 years ago. Stopped for a while and came back with Cowboy Bebop. Haven't left again.

Apr 14, 5:30 PM

As a little kid in the late 90s, the Pokemon wave hit the USA like a freight train. I've been watching anime on/off since. MHA kinda rejuvenated my interest in the medium after I graduated from college.

Apr 14, 5:48 PM

Aside from Dragon ball and Naruto, I choose Sekirei as the first one.

Decide once every certain number of years which members of the ruling class will oppress and crush the people in parliament: this is the true essence of bourgeois parliamentarism, not only in the constitutional parliamentary monarchies but in the most democratic republics
- The State and Revolution (September 1917), Vladimir Ilyich Ulyanov "Lenin".

Apr 14, 5:51 PM

Parasyte. It was the first non romance/harem anime I watched and it blew my mind

Apr 14, 5:54 PM

Gundam Seed. It was 2003-2004, and I was living in Hong Kong, and that was the thing then. And little 3-4 yr old me liked giant robots with guns. Man I miss the energy drinks with Gundam Seed Destiny magnets as souvenirs from 7 eleven. I rewatched it when the remastered version came out. It was just as good as when I first watched it.

As for what really got me into anime it would be HS DxD. My friend showed me the OP of S1 and I was instantly hooked.
What a degenerate I was.

‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾

‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾

Apr 14, 5:56 PM

Anohana what got me back into anime this year, I havent seen anime in while, and any last year lmao. Thanks Anohana and it was a wonderful experience to watch it <3

Apr 14, 6:04 PM

Haganai NEXT brought me back to the medium when I saw my siblings were watching it. It took an ecchi harem series to cause a spark of interest again.

Apr 14, 6:04 PM

Your Lie in April. I used to only watch One Piece and used to think that anime is only about action and adventure. But Lie in April showed me that anime can also be really dramatic and romantic, and allowed me to check other genres and see more gems in anime.

I am the next Queen of Hell, Kurumizawa Satanichia McDowell!
All evil in this world exists solely as tribute to me!
Tremble in fear below me, lowly humans!

Apr 14, 6:05 PM

Don't remember, end of 90s for the first time.
I learn that it was "mangas" in mid 2000s

Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »